The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Monaco GP Thread (Contains Quali/Race spoilers) - Sponsored by Insomnia

+13
erictheblueuk
Hulking_up
Gerry SA
banbrotam
nathan
Bull
lorus59
AlciG
CaledonianCraig
Fernando
dyrewolfe
harryspiv
GSC
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Winner?

Monaco GP Thread (Contains Quali/Race spoilers) - Sponsored by Insomnia Vote_lcap71%Monaco GP Thread (Contains Quali/Race spoilers) - Sponsored by Insomnia Vote_rcap 71% 
[ 5 ]
Monaco GP Thread (Contains Quali/Race spoilers) - Sponsored by Insomnia Vote_lcap29%Monaco GP Thread (Contains Quali/Race spoilers) - Sponsored by Insomnia Vote_rcap 29% 
[ 2 ]
Monaco GP Thread (Contains Quali/Race spoilers) - Sponsored by Insomnia Vote_lcap0%Monaco GP Thread (Contains Quali/Race spoilers) - Sponsored by Insomnia Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Monaco GP Thread (Contains Quali/Race spoilers) - Sponsored by Insomnia Vote_lcap0%Monaco GP Thread (Contains Quali/Race spoilers) - Sponsored by Insomnia Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 7

Poll closed

Monaco GP Thread (Contains Quali/Race spoilers) - Sponsored by Insomnia Empty Monaco GP Thread (Contains Quali/Race spoilers) - Sponsored by Insomnia

Post by GSC Wed 21 May 2014, 9:20 am

F1 returns to the streets of Monaco for arguably the most famous race of them all.

Set around the harbour in the principality, the world's rich and famous have docked their yachts for what is a week-long event and the only race where bars spill out onto the circuit with tables and chairs in the evening.

The 2014 Monaco GP in a nutshell
Track: Circuit de Monaco. Street circuit.
Race start time: 1pm UK time Sunday (2pm local).

Laps: 78.

Track length: 3.340 km.

Tyre allocation: Soft (yellow) and Supersoft (red).

DRS Zones: One (Pit Straight).

Driver steward: Derek Warwick.

Lap record: Michael Schumacher - 1:14.439 (Ferrari; 2004).

2013 pole: Nico Rosberg - 1:13.876 (Mercedes).

Form guide
Nico Rosberg emulated his father Keke by taking victory in Monaco last year, but he is a long way short of Ayrton Senna's record of six wins on the streets of the principality. Of the current drivers, Fernando Alonso is the only multiple victor having both stood atop the podium twice back in 2006-2007, whilst Jenson Button, Lewis Hamilton, Kimi Raikkonen and Sebastian Vettel have all taken one win apiece. Ferrari, meanwhile, haven't won in Monaco for 13 years.

2013 result: 1. Nico Rosberg (Mercedes); 2. Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull); 3. Mark Webber (Red Bull); 4. Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes); 5. Adrian Sutil (Force India); 6. Jenson Button (McLaren); 7. Fernando Alonso (Ferrari); 8. Jean-Eric Vergne (Toro Rosso); 9. Paul Di Resta (Force India); 10. Kimi Raikkonen (Lotus).

Last five winners in Monaco: 2013: Nico Rosberg (Mercedes); 2012: Mark Webber (Red Bull); 2011: Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull); 2010: Mark Webber (Red Bull); 2009: Jenson Button (Brawn).

Tyre allocation
In reflection of the famous old street circuit's slow and twisty confines, Pirellli are bringing their softest two compounds to the race weekend - meaning the supersoft tyre makes its first appearance of the season.

"Monaco is the slowest circuit on the calendar, which is very twisty with smooth asphalt, and also relies heavily on mechanical grip from the tyres," Pirelli said ahead of the event. "This makes it the perfect place for the supersoft with its rapid warm-up to make its 2014 debut, in combination with the soft.

Sky Bet odds
Unsurprisingly, Lewis Hamilton maintains his 100% pre-weekend status in 2014 as the favourite for the race victory with Sky Bet at 8/13. Nico Rosberg is 7/4 to halt his team-mate's winning run with Sebastian Vettel back up to third favourite, 14/1, following his stirring recovery drive in Spain
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Monaco GP Thread (Contains Quali/Race spoilers) - Sponsored by Insomnia Empty Re: Monaco GP Thread (Contains Quali/Race spoilers) - Sponsored by Insomnia

Post by Guest Wed 21 May 2014, 10:12 am

Thursday practice should give us an insight into how realistic a RB/Ferrari challenge will be. Hamilton needs to step up his game around here, hasn't been a happy hunting ground in recent years. Huge weekend for Rosberg at his home race.

Exciting times ahead or will it be

Back to top Go down

Monaco GP Thread (Contains Quali/Race spoilers) - Sponsored by Insomnia Empty Re: Monaco GP Thread (Contains Quali/Race spoilers) - Sponsored by Insomnia

Post by harryspiv Wed 21 May 2014, 10:40 am

I was in Monaco last month as the grandstands and track were being prepared, I even sat on pole position for a bit, the place is truly magical but unless you are a multi millionaire don't even think about going to see the race.

harryspiv

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Wed 21 May 2014, 12:46 pm

Heh. I would love to do what the Top Gear guys did a while back and drive hot hatches round the circuit, a few days before the F1 circus rolls into town.

Its a stunning venue but I think it would be a bit crowded for my tastes on a race weekend. Plus I'd get fed up with looking at / bumping into filthy-rich so-and-sos everywhere...not that I'm jealous or anything... Laugh

Think I'll only be watching quali all the way through. I'll have the race on, but just check back for a few laps now and again.

Unless Rosberg can find a way to squeeze a few extra tenths out of his car, or unless Hamilton has problems, I don't see things being any different from Spain.

I know Red Bull showed they could be pretty competitive, but I think their aerodynamics work best through fast corners, whereas Monaco is mostly low speed corners, very stop-start and basically needing good acceleration and traction out of corners.

Of course, Mercedes' speed advantage will be negated to a degree, so who knows...?
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 21 May 2014, 2:42 pm

Monaco GP Thread (Contains Quali/Race spoilers) - Sponsored by Insomnia BoGp-loCQAA94bc

Maldonados arrived
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 21 May 2014, 3:05 pm

Laugh 

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 21 May 2014, 3:07 pm

I can't take credit for that
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Wed 21 May 2014, 9:46 pm

It's going to be fun this weekend they have resurfaced most the track. So the oils in the heat will make it super slippy.

RB have been told to remove their camera mount from inside the front nose to a standard one.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 22 May 2014, 10:01 am

First practice under way and Mercedes in command. Ricciardo again outpacing Vettel but Red Bull's keeping relatively close to Mercedes times.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Thu 22 May 2014, 12:18 pm

GSC wrote:Monaco GP Thread (Contains Quali/Race spoilers) - Sponsored by Insomnia BoGp-loCQAA94bc

Maldonados arrived

Ouch! I wouldn't want to have to pick up the repair bill for that.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by AlciG Thu 22 May 2014, 12:44 pm

dyrewolfe wrote:
GSC wrote:Monaco GP Thread (Contains Quali/Race spoilers) - Sponsored by Insomnia BoGp-loCQAA94bc

Maldonados arrived

Ouch! I wouldn't want to have to pick up the repair bill for that.

I would as it would mean I could actually afford to have such a boat.

AlciG

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 22 May 2014, 12:55 pm

Raining in P2.

Be interesting how much running we get in the wet with these cars. Teams might not fancy a late night fixing the cars
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 22 May 2014, 1:14 pm

I think most will leave it until about halfway through the session before venturing out when the track has dried out somewhat. There isn't anything to be gained going out now, running the risk of crashing into barriers and damaging the car.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Fri 23 May 2014, 5:25 am

I am amazed that the poll wasn't unanimous as a Hamilton win. he is hungry after all.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri 23 May 2014, 6:11 am

I'd say it perhaps isn't unaniminous due to the circuit and the driving styles of both. Rosberg won round Monaco last year and has a more measured approach to driving an F1 car whereas Lewis has a more cavalier-style who will take more chances. That style makes Lewis a faster driver but more prone to crashing into a barrier here if he tries a cavalier move rather than Nico if you see what I mean.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 23 May 2014, 11:10 am

Nico signs a new deal to the end of 2016. Puts and end to the Alonso story.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Fri 23 May 2014, 2:27 pm

Welcome to another 3 seasons of team mate pounding in superior cars.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 24 May 2014, 11:18 am

Ricciardo splits the Mercedes in FP3. Could be a great qualifying. This is basically what Hamilton wanted, a threat to Rosberg`s 2nd places. Of course, Hamilton has to deliver in qualifying & get pole but you get my drift.

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Sat 24 May 2014, 12:30 pm

Hamilton to set pole, run away from the front and post the fastest lap. F1 is groundhog day again.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sat 24 May 2014, 2:23 pm

1) Rosberg
2) Hamilton
3) Ricciardo
4) Vettel
5) Alonso
6) Kimi
7) Vergne
8) Magnussen
9) Kyvat
10) Perez

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 24 May 2014, 2:25 pm

About time Rosberg got his elbows out
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sat 24 May 2014, 2:31 pm

Im waiting for the conspiracy theorists to come out.

Let's face it if he wanted to end the session he'd have buried it in the barriers.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sat 24 May 2014, 2:43 pm

Fernando wrote:Im waiting for the conspiracy theorists to come out.

Let's face it if he wanted to end the session he'd have buried it in the barriers.

What...and cost his team time and money repairing the car?

Don't you think it was incredibly convenient that he just happened to go off right at the end of the session, in provisional pole, while Lewis was behind him on a quicker lap, thus compromising Hamilton's (and Ricciardo's) final pole attempt? Nico would have known this, as his race engineer would have told him.

Bit too convenient for me to believe it was a genuine error. Also, don't you think Nico looked just a bit too pleased with himself in the post-quali interview? it was pretty obvious from Hamilton's expression and terseness that he thought it was deliberate.

I'll be rather sad and will lose some respect for Nico if it turns out he deliberately prevented Lewis taking pole...which he would have done, barring any mistakes.

Wonder if this will signal the beginning of the breakdown of their relationship?

On the other hand, looking at it objectively, Nico really needs another win to keep his rivalry with Lewis going...and to maintain some interest in the Championship. A Mercedes 1-2 at Monaco, with Rosberg winning, won't alter the title race that much. However, Rosberg might find his actions just spur Hamilton even further.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Sat 24 May 2014, 2:47 pm

It wasn't deliberate. He made a mistake but luck was on his side and it worked out for him. Who wouldn't be happy after a mistake that could have costed you worked for you? Exactly nothing to see here, if he is found guilty then he will be punished and that will be the end of that.

I reckon Nico and Lewis will sort this between themselves, they are professionals I doubt this will ruin their relationship.

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sat 24 May 2014, 2:49 pm

Bull wrote:It wasn't deliberate. He made a mistake but luck was on his side and it worked out for him. Who wouldn't be happy after a mistake that could have costed you worked for you? Exactly nothing to see here, if he is found guilty then he will be punished and that will be the end of that.

I reckon Nico and Lewis will sort this between themselves, they are professionals I doubt this will ruin their relationship.  

We don't know that for sure.

As I said - way too convenient for my liking.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 24 May 2014, 2:52 pm

Bull wrote:It wasn't deliberate. He made a mistake but luck was on his side and it worked out for him. Who wouldn't be happy after a mistake that could have costed you worked for you? Exactly nothing to see here, if he is found guilty then he will be punished and that will be the end of that.

There is only one person who truly knows if it was deliberate or not and thats Rosberg. Pointless in us saying it was/wasn't deliberate.

Should make for an interesting season between them.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 24 May 2014, 2:57 pm

We'll never know I guess
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sat 24 May 2014, 3:18 pm

Whatever the situation it's bonkers that a driver can make a mistake and gain, in qualifying

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sat 24 May 2014, 3:53 pm

I all ways enjoy a little needle in any sport.

More so in F1.

I think Hamilton riled/upset Rosberg with the 'I'm hungrier than Nico, because his old man was rich' comments.

I all ways had Rosberg as being a little soft(Bahrain and Barcelona spring to mind. A tougher racer might've bullied their way passed Hamilton), but it will be nice to see Rosberg and Hamilton go at it gloves off.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Hulking_up Sat 24 May 2014, 4:28 pm

Did Rosberg reverse back from where he stopped before everyone went pass him?
If he did then that was naughty.

Hulking_up

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 24 May 2014, 5:28 pm

Apparently, the stewards are investigating the incident.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 24 May 2014, 5:31 pm

Aye for reversing

He was cleared tho
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by erictheblueuk Sat 24 May 2014, 5:55 pm

GSC wrote:Aye for reversing

He was cleared tho

Could they have let all the other cars pass by, then let him reverse?
erictheblueuk
erictheblueuk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 24 May 2014, 6:21 pm

F1`s outgrown Monaco, hence you can get into this situation of making an error & gaining, leading to inevitable yellow flags. Do I think it was deliberate.....hard to say. Fact is, he's been cleared.

The sceptics will say, when you can't beat someone fairly, you lower yourself to cheating. If Hamilton is so riled, he should probably just return the favour in the first corner & take both of them out. Rosberg crashed to preserve his pole, Hamilton takes them both out to preserve his championship lead. You get my drift.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hulking_up Sun 25 May 2014, 12:14 pm

That bird who does the interviews on Sky F1 was talking to Glen Johnson and she asked him "What are your plans for the Summer?"
LOL.

Hulking_up

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 25 May 2014, 1:31 pm

Be interesting to see how Mercedes play this, Hamiltons got the undercut when he's led, traffic can very easily wreck that strategy here though
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 25 May 2014, 1:55 pm

Hamilton crying like a little child on the radio
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 25 May 2014, 2:27 pm

Marussia 1 place from a point
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 25 May 2014, 2:54 pm

Bianchi, drive of the season
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 25 May 2014, 3:04 pm

Predictably boring. Deserved win for Rosberg. Well done Marussia. Vettel having a Webber season with issues.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Sun 25 May 2014, 3:08 pm

Bianchi undoubtfully driver of the race. Very very well done to get the team some points.
Speaking of which rumours are spreading that Catherham have been put on sale?

Last edited by Bull on Sun 25 May 2014, 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sun 25 May 2014, 3:19 pm

Bianchi clap

Monaco, while a superb occasion, presents very little in the way of exciting racing unfortunately. Tricky circuit to drive on, and the length of the race forces a few errors, but it's too narrow, too twisty and in general very very difficult to overtake.

I do think for the Championship it was important for Rosberg to win here.

Good drive from Ricciardo again, did well to catch Hamilton, but couldn't overtake him.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 25 May 2014, 4:35 pm

Story of the race for me - Jules Bianchi scoring Marussia's first world championship points. Great stuff and a reward for sticking at it through very hard times and who knows they may now finish above Sauber as well. As for the Rosberg he kept his cool to win but you get the impression that the relationship between Rosberg and Hamilton has turned decidedly frostier. Really a decent race which had much happening down the field.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 25 May 2014, 5:04 pm

Toys out the pram from Hamilton a bit. You sensed Rosberg had to get under his skin to make a fight of this
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 25 May 2014, 5:28 pm

Yeah, annoys me when he turns like this, just needed to accept defeat & move on. Best way for Nico to win this championship was to irk Lewis with some kind of action, like in qualifying, intentional or not. Lewis becomes vulnerable, when he feels unfairly treated & it usually makes him psychologically unstable & that effects his driving & happiness.

Lewis just needs to remain quiet, instead of this `we`re not friends` rubbish, post race. Move onto Canada, his strong track, grab pole & win the race.

Back to top Go down

Post by TopoftheChops Sun 25 May 2014, 7:07 pm

It's time to sort out the circuit for the grand prix. They should cut out the turn after the tunnel, will lead to more overtaking. Rosberg cheated his way to victory, typical german tactics emulating schumacher and vettel

TopoftheChops

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sun 25 May 2014, 7:23 pm

Don't worry John that's not even the worse thing he's complained about this weekend.

It was confirmed that Lewis got annoyed by Nico doing keepy uppies and kicking the ball against the garage before qualifying as he was trying to relax.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 25 May 2014, 7:29 pm

TopoftheChops wrote:It's time to sort out the circuit for the grand prix. They should cut out the turn after the tunnel, will lead to more overtaking. Rosberg cheated his way to victory, typical german tactics emulating schumacher and vettel

Not really, the corner after the chicane is firmly a one line corner.

Ideally it'd be dumped altogether, not fit for purpose
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Sun 25 May 2014, 8:22 pm

John wrote:Predictably boring. Deserved win for Rosberg. Well done Marussia. Vettel having a Webber season with issues.
Boring? I disagree. I thought it was a very good grand prix with proper overtaking, Hulkenberg and Bianchi being the highlights. None of this 'press the overtake button' to pass nonsense we have in most races nowadays. It was a little disappointing that Lewis Hamilton had an eye problem and didn't have a go a Nico Rosberg, in the car anyway.

I think this Drivers Championship is bubbling up nicely and credit goes to Mercedes for letting them races unlike the previous season of the Vettel and Red Bull borefest.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Sun 25 May 2014, 8:28 pm

TopoftheChops wrote:It's time to sort out the circuit for the grand prix. They should cut out the turn after the tunnel, will lead to more overtaking. Rosberg cheated his way to victory, typical german tactics emulating schumacher and vettel
I don't think the circuit needs changing. There was enough overtaking today and some good ones too. I don't want races with easy overtaking lanes and boost buttons to pass. This is supposed to be Formula 1 not wacky races.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next