The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

German GP Thread (Contains Quali/Race spoilers) - Sponsored by Poland, Turkey, Finland and Monaco

+5
Good Golly I'm Olly
Scrumpy
dummy_half
crward77
GSC
9 posters

Go down

German GP Thread (Contains Quali/Race spoilers) - Sponsored by Poland, Turkey, Finland and Monaco Empty German GP Thread (Contains Quali/Race spoilers) - Sponsored by Poland, Turkey, Finland and Monaco

Post by GSC Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:57 am

F1 returns to Hockenheim this year as the race continues alternate with the Nurburgring, albeit a very different circuit than the one that first hosted a grand prix in 1970 following its revamp at the turn of the century.

So read on below as Sky Sports Online provides your one-stop shop for everything you need to know about the grand prix weekend.

The 2014 German GP in a nutshell

Track: Hockenheimring. Permanent circuit.

Race start time: 1pm UK time Sunday (2pm local).

Laps: 67.

Track length: 4.574 km.

Tyre allocation: Soft (yellow) and supersoft (red)

DRS Zones: One – Between turns three and four.

Driver steward: TBA.

Lap record: Kimi Raikkonen - 1:13.780 (McLaren; 2004).

2012 pole: Fernando Alonso - 1:40.621 (Ferrari).

Friday 18th July
8:45am – German GP Practice One - Live!
12:45pm – German GP Practice Two - Live!

Saturday 19th July
9:45am – German GP Practice Three - Live!
12pm – German GP Qualifying – Live!

Sunday 20th July
12pm - The 2014 German GP – Race – Live! !

Fernando Alonso has won the previous two grands prix at Hockenheim and also took victory at the venue in 2005. The only other multiple winner of the German GP currently on the grid is Lewis Hamilton, but his 2008 and 2011 victories are split across two venues. Sebastian Vettel has also won the race, breaking his duck on homesoil last year at the Nurburgring.

2012 result: 1. Fernando Alonso (Ferrari); 2. Jenson Button (McLaren); 3. Kimi Raikkonen (Lotus); 4. Kamui Kobayashi (Sauber); 5. Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull); 6. Sergio Perez (Sauber); 7. Michael Schumacher (Mercedes); 8. Mark Webber (Red Bull); 9. Nico Hulkenberg (Force India); 10. Nico Rosberg (Mercedes).

Last five winners at Hockenheim: 2012: Fernando Alonso (Ferrari); 2010: Fernando Alonso (Ferrari); 2008: Lewis Hamilton (McLaren); 2006: Michael Schumacher (Ferrari); 2005: Fernando Alonso (Renault).

Pirelli will bring the yellow-marked soft and red-banded supersoft tyres to Hockenheim – the two softest compounds in their range.

“This year, the German Grand Prix is held at Hockenheim, which combines some fast straights with a slower and more technical stadium section that forms a significant part of the lap. To provide maximum performance, the soft and supersoft compounds will be in action once more, on a track that has generally low energy demands on the tyre.,” the Italian firm said.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

German GP Thread (Contains Quali/Race spoilers) - Sponsored by Poland, Turkey, Finland and Monaco Empty Re: German GP Thread (Contains Quali/Race spoilers) - Sponsored by Poland, Turkey, Finland and Monaco

Post by crward77 Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:51 pm

Really looking forward to this race at such a pivotal point in the season. Rosberg will be looking to stamp his authority on 'home' soil and take the wind out of Hamilton's sails after his Silverstone showing. Nico has just penned a new deal, so his confidence will be boosted, but Lewis can strike a huge blow if he edges out his team-mate here. Personally, I am hoping Williams have a good race, and that Susie Wolff has a luckier run. It will be interesting to see if the lack of FRIC will mean anything, but the pack are catching the Silver Arrows. Should be a good race.

crward77

Back to top Go down

German GP Thread (Contains Quali/Race spoilers) - Sponsored by Poland, Turkey, Finland and Monaco Empty Re: German GP Thread (Contains Quali/Race spoilers) - Sponsored by Poland, Turkey, Finland and Monaco

Post by GSC Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:54 pm

I'd be amazed if FRIC changes anything. Remember engine mapping.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:54 pm

GSC wrote:I'd be amazed if FRIC changes anything. Remember engine mapping.

Might shuffle a few of the mid pack teams - my understanding is that Force India didn't have a FRIC system, so that should be a good benchmark for how much effect the system really had on the cars normally fighting for minor points. Don't expect much to change with regard to Merc's dominance though unless Renault have managed to extract another 50bhp from their power unit...

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:44 am

The Suzie Wolff sideshow is in full swing again I see
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:13 pm

In other news, Rosberg can't use the WC trophy on his helmet.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:26 am

Am I the only one bored of Suzie Wolff? For all the talk, shes only getting a drive because a. Shes married to Toto Wolff who owns/owned shares in Williams, and b. shes female.

A male driver with her record wouldn't get near a F1 car
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:51 am

Let her have her five minutes of fame, no chance of anything serious coming out from this testing she's doing.

Mercedes 1/2 in FP1.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:11 pm

Wolff was 0.2 secs slower than Massa, who lets face it has had a lot more time in a F1 car than she has.

To say she is only their because of her hubby is a little unfair IMO, F1 is littered of rich boys only being there as daddy put some money up front.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:11 pm

Hamilton out, big crash
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:22 pm

Bottas set a fantastic time on the soft tyre. 0.6 faster than Hamilton before the latters massive crash.

Rosberg must be looking to bag P1 and make a break for it whilst Hamilton will be starting in 16th

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:21 pm

Just when you think Hamilton's luck has turned, it all goes wrong with front brake failure. One step forward, two back. Rsoberg on pole, again, being let off by Hamilton's poor saturdays. Williams are fast but I'm not sure they will be fast enough to challenge Nico. Once again, damage limitation for Hamilton, you don't win Championships likes this.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:03 pm

Hamilton may well struggle to make the podium tomorrow.

Rosberg obviously has similar machinery. But the Williams are fast this weekend. And on the long runs Red Bull had good pace and better tyre deg.

Hamilton needs a fast start, bit can't afford to lose his front wing. Hockenheim is a pretty narrow track so it can be tough to overtake on.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:15 pm

Gerry SA wrote:Hamilton may well struggle to make the podium tomorrow.

I'd say no chance of making podium. Hamilton may have an even steeper mountain to climb if Mercedes switch the brake material he uses. Having started the day using brakes supplied by Carbon Industries, Hamilton changed to another, Brembo, which failed. Mercedes want to switch him back to the former for the race but if they do so, they could break parc ferme conditions, meaning that he’ll have to start from the pitlane.  picard 

Damage limitation

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:18 pm

Might as well start from the pitlane and optimise for raceday. Not as if Caterham, Marussia, Sauber and Lotus will put up resistance
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:06 pm

Starting from the pitlane means being even further behind Williams and Red Bull.

Starting from the pitlane normally means losing a further 5secs.

Looking very tough for Hamilton unless there's a SC.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:27 pm

If it saves him that time by making it easier to overtake could be worth it.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:41 pm

Immediately, you think it's a blow but it safeguards you into the first corner & being involved in an incident. I still don't see him achieving a podium, I'm hoping he does achieve it, because he doesn't deserve this, but think tomorrow could just be a task too much for him. I'd take a top 5 right now. Just annoying that Rosberg is being gifted these Saturday advantages, either through Lewis' fault or mechanical.

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:45 pm

Yep damage limitation for Hamilton tomorrow (providing Rosberg wins of course!)

Starting from the pit lane is probably the smarter move. Avoid the first corner crash potentially
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:04 pm

It's that or his going to drive out into the debris and get a puncture  Laugh It happened to Lewis, No reason it can't happen to Nico.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:26 am

Hamilton takes a gear box change, will start 20th. Pit Lane gets more appealing tbh.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:16 am

Just had a watch of the GP2 race, started rather wet and still dark and gloomy though. Should be fine & dry for the race could be a shower or 2 though.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:22 pm

1215 BST Rain currently to West missing circuit. Official FIA nowcast suggests dry at least nxt 30 mins. Uncertain after.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:21 pm

Superb racing from Riccardo/Hamilton and Raikonnen
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:29 pm

Corr there's been some good racing so far
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:40 pm

Great race, superb drive from Hammy. Damage was limited successfully, pretty happy with that job. Sutil mistake probably cost second for Hamilton. Alonso always provides entertainment. Cracking stuff.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:02 pm

Was a good drive by Hamilton it's what you'd expect from a car 1.5 seconds faster in race pace. He'd be happy that he got 3rd probably get wiped out knowing that the points to Nico is half way to being back where it was before the British GP

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:04 pm

Hamilton done well to get third from where he had started. Possibly unlucky not to get second. The Williams continue to look the second fastest/ best team and maybe disappointed not to have had more points at the halfway race of the season.

Great drives/ racing from Ricciardo and Alonso.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by crward77 Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:52 am

Shame Massa involved in yet another collision. would love to see both Williams bringing home some big points. Good race by Lewis from so far back, but good to see Williams not looking like slipping back in the race. I am really enjoying this season.

crward77

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:31 pm

Pretty eventful race for most drivers...except Nico.

Great recovery drive by Lewis, but he's still got his work cut out in Hungary to claw back the points to Rosberg.

Great drive by Bottas to hold his quali position throughout the race and hold off Lewis' challenge at the end.

More rotten luck for Massa...think he might have a similar problem to when he and Hamilton kept running into each other a couple of seasons ago. Maybe he needs to have more confidence in himself and his car and not worry too much about holding / making up places at the start. Perhaps that way he'll avoid getting into those sort of situations.

Fantastic duel between Ricciardo and Alonso...best action of the race.

Looks like Red Bull are still some way off Mercedes' pace - on power circuits at least.

Can't see Ferrari keeping Raikkonen beyond this season, if he continues to finish so far behind Alonso.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:37 pm

Bild reporting that Merc want Vettel for 2016.

Let the conspiracy theorists that think Hamiltons being shafted because Rosbergs German loose
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down