The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Derry Mathews

+8
hampo17
Rowley
mobilemaster8
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Derbymanc
Strongback
TRUSSMAN66
wheelchair1991
12 posters

Go down

Derry Mathews Empty Derry Mathews

Post by wheelchair1991 Sun 19 Apr 2015, 9:10 pm

As many ofyou will have seen Derry beat Tony Luis at the weekend to win the interim WBA strap. He now says he is a world champion. After slagging off the WBA/Scott Quigg situation. I find it just as annoying that Derry is making such a claim.

What do you think of Derry and his boxing career? He seems to have been around for ever and just will not go away

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Derry Mathews Empty Re: Derry Mathews

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 19 Apr 2015, 9:15 pm

It's like Hartlepool winning the premiership..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 19 Apr 2015, 9:18 pm

Derry tends to annoy me but I'll give him credit for the tough fights he's had and the determination to keep going through thick and thin. I thought he was done after the last encounter with Crolla so fair dues to him.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Sun 19 Apr 2015, 9:32 pm

I like that Truss fairly good comparison

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Sun 19 Apr 2015, 9:34 pm

I like Derry but it's an interim championship and essentially just another step on the road to get a 'real' strap.

Was a very scrappy affair and could have gone either way but a good little bout.

As Strongy points out, he deserves a bit of credit for toughing it out all the time and making the most out of his career.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Sun 19 Apr 2015, 9:42 pm

Hard not to like him, especially his dedication to the sport even after his string of losses a few years back. Keeps on picking himself up and deserves his pay days he's getting now.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Mon 20 Apr 2015, 11:21 am

Hard working professional with great heart and grit. May not be the most technically gifted fighter in the modern era but he has the work ethic to make most fighters work hard when put against him.

As to be world champion? No chance. Not beaten a single fighter worthy of being called that so not sure how beating Tony Luis has made him champ.

Arbil would have boxed his ear off so it's a blessing Luis turned up....and he struggled with him let alone Abril.

But hey, hard work has paid off and to the fans he is world champ....to the hardcore fanbase he is not

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 20 Apr 2015, 3:28 pm

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:Hard not to like him, especially his dedication to the sport even after his string of losses a few years back. Keeps on picking himself up and deserves his pay days he's getting now.

Tend to agree, Derry did not break boxing, he is just a product of a very broken system, however if a good, honest pro like Matthews is able to make a few quid off the farcial title system we have currently I can't really begrudge it him.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 20 Apr 2015, 4:10 pm

Rowley wrote:
Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:Hard not to like him, especially his dedication to the sport even after his string of losses a few years back. Keeps on picking himself up and deserves his pay days he's getting now.

Tend to agree, Derry did not break boxing, he is just a product of a very broken system, however if a good, honest pro like Matthews is able to make a few quid off the farcial title system we have currently I can't really begrudge it him.

Wrong it's another blow to a once proud sport....

People like Johnny Owen/ Kiko Bejines died trying to gain the respected status of World champion...................and garbage like this guy get it chucked at them..

It's bollox and I don't care If he's hard working...........Lots of people work hard...

Farcical..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon 20 Apr 2015, 4:14 pm

As has been mentioned he's a hard working honest pro, who will know that he's fighting above his station. Calling him garbage is a little harsh, good European level fighter for sure.

You can't compare today's sport of boxing to the past Truss, it's far too diluted to be a fair comparison.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon 20 Apr 2015, 4:16 pm

Matthews a pro who's worked extremely hard to get where he is is farcical to this proud sport

But Chavez Jr is fine and should carry on............................

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 20 Apr 2015, 4:16 pm

Agree Truss, if a petition goes round to have one governing body and no interim, emeritus or super champions my name will be first on it but Matthews sure as hell did not break the system. Personally anything that serves to highlight how ridiculous the title situation has become is fine by me.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 20 Apr 2015, 4:20 pm

hampo171 wrote:As has been mentioned he's a hard working honest pro, who will know that he's fighting above his station. Calling him garbage is a little harsh, good European level fighter for sure.

You can't compare today's sport of boxing to the past Truss, it's far too diluted to be a fair comparison.

He's hard working...helps grannies across the road...he's a good father...and he always puts the bins out on time !!

I say we just hand out world titles to all Boxers who have the same qualities !! Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon 20 Apr 2015, 4:22 pm

He's hard working, fights anyone that's put in front of him and has the dedication to keep himself in shape.

As I said, how you can slag him off yet state Chavez is fine for the sport is beyond me.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 20 Apr 2015, 4:25 pm

Derbymanc wrote:He's hard working, fights anyone that's put in front of him and has the dedication to keep himself in shape.

As I said, how you can slag him off yet state Chavez is fine for the sport is beyond me.

I said I like Chavez because he's colorful............Never said he's good for the sport............Though he's better than this guy...

What is the point...........If any old useless Tom, Dick and Harry can be given a world title.....

What does it mean ??...............

How can you be happy If you love the sport..............For this journeyman to be a world champion along with Chris eubank jr recent world success.......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 20 Apr 2015, 4:29 pm

In what way is Chavez colourful?

He's a daddy's boy who has no personality and has been gifted everything to him on a golden platter, he's a far worse example of the demise of Boxing than Matthews.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon 20 Apr 2015, 4:30 pm

He's not a World Champion, he's an interim World champion which means the sqaure root of naff all. Although I was gutted when found out it wouldn't be for a full title.

Course you can be happy for the guy whilst realising the sport is in an absolute mess at the moment.

Just don't like the double standards when it comes to they guys that put themselves on the line for our entertainment. 'That guys an embarassment to the sport, how dare he take this opportunity that he's only probably dreamt about his entire career. Him over there, he got everything handed to him and can't even be bothered training, he's brilliant he is'

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 20 Apr 2015, 4:31 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:In what way is Chavez colourful?

He's a daddy's boy who has no personality and has been gifted everything to him on a golden platter, he's a far worse example of the demise of Boxing than Matthews.

I like playboys.............Pazienza, Rossman, Camacho............

Better than being dour and crap..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 20 Apr 2015, 4:32 pm

Derbymanc wrote:He's not a World Champion, he's an interim World champion which means the sqaure root of naff all. Although I was gutted when found out it wouldn't be for a full title.

Course you can be happy for the guy whilst realising the sport is in an absolute mess at the moment.

Just don't like the double standards when it comes to they guys that put themselves on the line for our entertainment. 'That guys an embarassment to the sport, how dare he take this opportunity that he's only probably dreamt about his entire career. Him over there, he got everything handed to him and can't even be bothered training, he's brilliant he is'

Interim champion............He's still going to be regarded as a world champion..............

Regular, interim.........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon 20 Apr 2015, 4:37 pm

Chavez colourful???

Really?

Froch fight dead in the water though now.

And can we refrain from calling hard working pro's garbage please? Garbage is a guy with something like five wins out of twenty surely.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 20 Apr 2015, 4:38 pm

Herman Jaeger wrote:Chavez colourful???

Really?

Froch fight dead in the water though now.

And can we refrain from calling hard working pro's garbage please? Garbage is a guy with something like five wins out of twenty surely.

Garbage..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon 20 Apr 2015, 4:41 pm

Or garbage like your points which change depending on who your talking about

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 20 Apr 2015, 4:43 pm

hampo171 wrote:As has been mentioned he's a hard working honest pro, who will know that he's fighting above his station. Calling him garbage is a little harsh, good European level fighter for sure.

Really?

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 20 Apr 2015, 4:46 pm

Derbymanc wrote:Or garbage like your points which change depending on who your talking about

Happy for you to want any old stiff from the UK to become World champ .....Derby !!

Just think it makes the decreasing value of a belt.............Decrease even further..

If you didn't keep twisting my points you'd appreciate them more... Shocked raspberry raspberry ..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 20 Apr 2015, 4:47 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Derbymanc wrote:Or garbage like your points which change depending on who your talking about

Happy for you to want any old stiff from the UK to become World champ .....Derby !!

Just think it makes the decreasing value of a belt.............Decrease even further..

If you didn't keep twisting my points you'd appreciate them more... Shocked  raspberry raspberry ..
What you two get up to in the Oyster is your business

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon 20 Apr 2015, 4:48 pm

Well Truss can, but then we all know his opinion is garbage Wink

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 20 Apr 2015, 4:55 pm

Would have been happy for Herol Graham had he beat Brewer.............Would have been happy for Sibson If he'd beat Tate...When Andries upset Czyz and went on to bag a title I thought well done...

Not happy for this guy who couldn't even win prizefighter to be gifted a strap..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon 20 Apr 2015, 4:56 pm

No need to twist your points, anyone can read the Chavez thread, and this one and see your happy for one rule for one and one for another,

Or see your point about Stephen Smith shouldn't be near a world title, what's he done
A.J should immediately fight for a title, doesn't matter he's done nowt Wink

As stated it's not Derry's fault there's a gazillion belts these days, why should he not take this opportunity?

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 20 Apr 2015, 4:59 pm

Derbymanc wrote:No need to twist your points, anyone can read the Chavez thread, and this one and see your happy for one rule for one and one for another,

Or see your point about Stephen Smith shouldn't be near a world title, what's he done
A.J should immediately fight for a title, doesn't matter he's done nowt Wink

They can read the thread............Never said Chavez was great for boxing......

I like colorful characters............Something about him I like.......

Rossman wasn't a great fighter either....Journalists dream though........Paz and Bramble were colorful........

Chavez did fight the number 1 middle and nearly take him out............Who did Derry lose to in prizefighter ?? "Nine defeats"..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon 20 Apr 2015, 5:05 pm

that's part of the problem with Boxing today, a defeat means you should go nowhere. If people would accept defeats a bit more the sport would be a hell of a lot better. Same if people would use the same view across the board for boxers rather than pick and choose who the 'rules' should be made for.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 20 Apr 2015, 5:13 pm

Derbymanc wrote:that's part of the problem with Boxing today, a defeat means you should go nowhere. If people would accept defeats a bit more the sport would be a hell of a lot better. Same if people would use the same view across the board for boxers rather than pick and choose who the 'rules' should be made for.

I applauded Andries winning a belt after beating a Maynard-stuffing Czyz ...................

This guy lost to Ormond and sneaked past Gethin in his last meaningful fight...

Now he's had a belt chucked at him..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon 20 Apr 2015, 5:15 pm

And........... does that mean Derry Matthews himself deserves your disrespect or the organisation that allows it too happen.

And he may have had the belt tagged onto the fight, but he won it fair and square.

Once again though, it's also a nothing belt.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 20 Apr 2015, 5:19 pm

Derbymanc wrote:And........... does that mean Derry Matthews himself deserves your disrespect or the organisation that allows it too happen.

And he may have had the belt tagged onto the fight, but he won it fair and square.

Once again though, it's also a nothing belt.

I don't know Derry (unlike Hampo Cool ) .......I just don't want to see fighters like him getting world belts..

Because it doesn't reflect well on the sport..........

Where would we be If everyone that worked hard and showed heart was given a belt.........

Titles should be a thing for quality fighters to aspire to......Not a passage of right for any big hearted journeyman..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon 20 Apr 2015, 5:27 pm

Yet your happy for the average Chavez jr, (who can't be bothered to train) be a belt holder and show the sport in a 'good' light (cause we all know he's never ever needed the judges help)

Yet when a good honest pro gets his shot, you'd rather it was taken away.

Pretty terrible way of looking at it to be honest Truss, I'd have the honest Pro every day over some glorified Daddy's boy.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 20 Apr 2015, 5:30 pm

Derbymanc wrote:Yet your happy for the average Chavez jr, (who can't be bothered to train) be a belt holder and show the sport in a 'good' light (cause we all know he's never ever needed the judges help)

Yet when a good honest pro gets his shot, you'd rather it was taken away.

Pretty terrible way of looking at it to be honest Truss, I'd have the honest Pro every day over some glorified Daddy's boy.

Why do you keep chucking Chavez jr at me.........

Did he knock out Andy Lee who is champion now ??

Did he fight the number 1 middle in Sergio Martinez ??? and nearly stop him late ???

He's a level above Derry mate !!

That argument doesn't wash.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon 20 Apr 2015, 5:50 pm

It washes perfectly fine, you'd rather have a guy that can't be arsed, rather than someone who gives his all, I know who i'd rather watch and who I respect more.
(although I admit i'm in the minority in this)

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 20 Apr 2015, 5:58 pm

Derbymanc wrote:It washes perfectly fine, you'd rather have a guy that can't be arsed, rather than someone who gives his all, I know who i'd rather watch and who I respect more.

I'd still rather watch Liverpool than Burnley even though only one of them seemed ar$ed about putting in a shift this weekend but I do take your point Derby even my dislike of Derry Matthews prevents me from siding with you completely

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 20 Apr 2015, 6:50 pm

Derbymanc wrote:It washes perfectly fine, you'd rather have a guy that can't be arsed, rather than someone who gives his all, I know who i'd rather watch and who I respect more.

When a limited...Can't be arsed guy is still levels above a World champion.........

You know titles are becoming meaningless.......

I can watch Clichy give his all for city and still think he's garbage....and undeserving of the shirt !!

Why should a guy with no talent but a good work ethic be applauded for being given a gift ??

I don't want any old crap having the title "world champion."

It should be a respected term..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon 20 Apr 2015, 7:17 pm

I know titles are meaningless, but I don't see why your giving a sportsman no respect, he doesn't have 'no' talent either he's not world class by a long shot but because the 0 has become this pinnacle anyone with a loss is a no talent bum, never mind a sportsman that comes back time after time.

Think it's a terrible stance to have, and the amount of people that have it is one of the reasons boxings in the state it is.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon 20 Apr 2015, 7:21 pm

Derby it's pointless arguing with Truss. If you're not top level he's not interested.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 20 Apr 2015, 8:24 pm

hampo171 wrote:Derby it's pointless arguing with Truss. If you're not top level he's not interested.

I don't mind slumming it with you boys...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 20 Apr 2015, 10:57 pm

hampo171 wrote:Derby it's pointless arguing with Truss. If you're not top level he's not interested.

Wow, defined "America" in a sentence.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 21 Apr 2015, 7:51 am

TRUSS doesn't like a boxer who dedicates himself to the sport but enjoys some fat waster whose being living off his dads name, has to be dragged to the gym, takes advantage of the rehydration rules as thats the only way he can win a fight through size and being able to take a dig of a much lighter opponant.

Should start calling you TROLLMAN....

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Tue 21 Apr 2015, 9:03 am

He isn't a world champion and if he was who cares anyhow ? I used to be able to name all the world champions across the divisions many moons ago, now couldn't name half a dozen. As mentioned the system is broken and looks well gone, I judge fights on face value nowadays not the hyperbole the promoters and broadcasters want to feed.
Truss is so narrow-minded and a glory supporter. Calling Matthews garbage and Provodnikov a useless bum is pathetic, he used to like Haye and Price at one time until their bubble was burst now they're useless.

Cheers, Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down