The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eddie Hearn and the big fights

+13
Herman Jaeger
catchweight
Derbymanc
Strongback
TRUSSMAN66
ShahenshahG
Lance
Hammersmith harrier
hampo17
Rowley
ONETWOFOREVER
milkyboy
Seanusarrilius
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Eddie Hearn and the big fights  - Page 2 Empty Eddie Hearn and the big fights

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 15 Apr 2015, 4:57 pm

First topic message reminder :

I was a big advocate of Hearn when he started to make inroads. Let's be honest, boxing needed a revamp. Of late, I have been very critical of him. I appreciate some of his honesty about the importance of building boxing as a sport that casual fans like, and some other stuff, but he has also soured me.

Firstly, his Sky cards are sub par. Too many fights that aren't competitive or entertaining.

The major thing, however, is how he handles making the big fight.

I agree that Khan should fight Brook, and that Khan is a bit delusional in terms of his personal worth and what fights he can get (May/Pac). But Hearn seems to have really wound him up to the point where the Brook fight may not happen. Booking Wembley, etc., Khan hasn't liked it.

Groves and Hearn have basically had a public spat since the Froch fights. Groves seems determined not to do anything Hearn wants him to do, including fighting his natural rival, Degale.

Now the Frampton Quigg saga.

As isolated incidents you can blame either party, but is Hearn getting in his and our way when it comes to making the big fights?

How do you feel about it?

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Eddie Hearn and the big fights  - Page 2 Empty Re: Eddie Hearn and the big fights

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 15 Apr 2015, 11:28 pm

Mcguigan might not want the fight..

Who knows...One thing for sure is you don't know !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Eddie Hearn and the big fights  - Page 2 Empty Re: Eddie Hearn and the big fights

Post by catchweight Wed 15 Apr 2015, 11:36 pm

I do know.....

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 15 Apr 2015, 11:44 pm

You know the secret of life ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 16 Apr 2015, 7:41 am

Quigg fighting some unknown Asian is imminent.

Has anyone seen the Sky article?

http://www1.skysports.com/boxing/news/12040/9805386/scott-quigg-could-fight-nonito-donaire-and-guillermo-rigondeaux

Fail to mention Rigo as the WBA champ (I wonder why chin ) Only mentions his WBO title and have decided to give Donaire a high profile crack Laugh A crack when Donaire has achieved more as a fighter?? and a crack at what? A paper belt.

Sky are becoming very impartial and are starting to look a bit silly.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Thu 16 Apr 2015, 9:12 am

Hearn is just taking advantage of a very good deal with the broadcaster, I blame Sky, Hearn has the monopoly of boxing on their channel and can get away with putting tedious cards on. This year has been particularly bad but he has nothing to lose, Sky will continue to champion his fighters as the next best thing. Matchrooms strategy is pretty straightforward they will look to build British grudge matches for big bucks if that is not available, his fighters are sent out to be massacred.

Sky used to be brilliant for boxing but are truly awful now from presenting and delivering, I was disappointed they got the big fight as they've shown absolute no interest in screening either Pacquaio or Mayweathers fights for half a decade now. I just don't understand how they work they showcased GGG for 3 fights now they let Boxnation pick his fights up.

Cheers, Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Thu 16 Apr 2015, 12:06 pm

Hearn probably would have got away with the stunt too if it wasn't in the same week as he put Brook v Gavin on ppv.

Hopefully they'll both go their separate ways, have a good, relatively even matched fight each then get back around the table and get the fight done.

Quigg's the worry in that scenario. Can he beat anyone in the top 10?
Not sure on that one and that scuppers it.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Thu 16 Apr 2015, 1:00 pm

What did froch get for groves 2. 4 million I read, groves picking up over 1 million. That was for the biggest fight in post war UK, that involved huge promotional work by both fighters. It was a massive event which required incredible work. 
Would Khan v brook top that? Doubtful. What would the purse split be, 50:50, maybe 60:40. 

Khan picks up 1.5 million for each of his low promotional fights stateside, TV money with little promotional work. I don't think he's got a deluded self of worth. He knows exactly what he's worth. Fast Eddie being too fast and too slick of late, too many promotional stunts. I agree with the op Eddie seems to be getting in the way of the big fights. 
I still dislike warren more though, imagine if arum folded top rank after May 5th and didn't pay manny his 100million.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 16 Apr 2015, 1:03 pm

Its seems 606v2 is aligning more with the majority of boxing fans in relation to Eddie's match making and PPV antics.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Thu 16 Apr 2015, 1:08 pm

Not really Strongy, most of us don't have an agenda so call it how we see it. Praise where it's due, criticisms too.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 16 Apr 2015, 1:12 pm

jimdig wrote:What did froch get for groves 2. 4 million I read, groves picking up over 1 million. That was for the biggest fight in post war UK, that involved huge promotional work by both fighters. It was a massive event which required incredible work. 
Would Khan v brook top that? Doubtful. What would the purse split be, 50:50, maybe 60:40. 

Khan picks up 1.5 million for each of his low promotional fights stateside, TV money with little promotional work. I don't think he's got a deluded self of worth. He knows exactly what he's worth. Fast Eddie being too fast and too slick of late, too many promotional stunts. I agree with the op Eddie seems to be getting in the way of the big fights. 
I still dislike warren more though, imagine if arum folded top rank after May 5th and didn't pay manny his 100million.

You'd be looking at double those figures for Froch and Groves, the purse split was £8mil and £2mil which is a pretty damn big purse to be honest, in comparison to Mayweather or Pacquiao it isn't but it's more than comparable to the likes of Cotto and Alvarez.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Thu 16 Apr 2015, 1:29 pm

Haye v Harrison had a 5 million to 1 million split allegedly and surely Frampton Quigg could do those figures?
Would need real hype behind it but that's what Sky do.
1.5 doesn't sound too good then in comparison. Frampton is going to speculate on what this could make though and isn't going to undercut himself.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 16 Apr 2015, 1:32 pm

RanjitPatel wrote:Haye v Harrison had a 5 million to 1 million split allegedly and surely Frampton Quigg could do those figures?
Would need real hype behind it but that's what Sky do.
1.5 doesn't sound too good then in comparison. Frampton is going to speculate on what this could make though and isn't going to undercut himself.

It wouldn't get anywhere near that regardless of it being a far better fight. Haye was a well known Heavyweight world champion facing a well known compatriot, super bantamweights just cannot compete with that. Therein lies problem with people thinking it's a bigger fight than it actually is

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 16 Apr 2015, 3:08 pm

Its a big enough fight for Hearn to want to squeeze McGuigan out.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 16 Apr 2015, 3:10 pm

Derbymanc wrote:Not really Strongy, most of us don't have an agenda so call it how we see it. Praise where it's due, criticisms too.

You saying you no longer have unending love for Eddie?

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Thu 16 Apr 2015, 3:12 pm

Or for Bazza to try and squeeze Hearn out.

I know the default position is for some of you to immediately blame Big Ed for all the worlds ills but if Bazza's insisting on it being on ITV how are they going to make the money the fighters want/deserve (IE Framps obviously wants more than 1.5mil)???

(I hate PPV with a passion but if the fighters are demanding them purses to fight, it's the only way it's going to go.)

@Strongy, the only one on here with unending love for Eddie is yourself, it shines through with every post you make, you just have to accept he'll never be there for you like you want him too.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Thu 16 Apr 2015, 5:08 pm

8 million for froch, that's huge money. Lewis is probably the only Brit to top that purse.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 16 Apr 2015, 5:25 pm

Haye I think against Wlad also jim

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 16 Apr 2015, 5:32 pm

I think Mcguigan wants to take the cheque..........

1. He hasn't the financial clout to make this fight himself.......

2. His charge is a big favorite........

3. 1.5 million is huge for a 122 pounder..

If Hearn makes a few more bucks so be it...

Certainly wouldn't lay all the blame all on Eddie...........Though the cheque and camera stunt is a bit cheap..

Anyone who thinks Stevie Cruz is a high risk career move in Vegas heat or not, you have to have concerns about..

Cruz got battered off Esparragoza in his first defence.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2