The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NRFL Rough Riders

5 posters

Go down

NRFL Rough Riders Empty NRFL Rough Riders

Post by ReadBetweenthePosts Tue 14 Apr 2015, 11:03 pm

The Americans have formed a new "National Rugby Football League", their first professional rugby league and to mark the launch of the league, the Leicester Tigers will be travelling to Philadelphia this August to play the "NRFL Rough Riders" for the Independence Cup in what the league hopes to be an annual fixture against European opposition.

I love the concept of the Rough Riders, named after an old post civil war Army regiment that was a mash of men of different backgrounds and from various states uniting to fight together. The Rough Riders team appears to be a Barbarians concept, inviting players from all of the league's Franchises to play together against a European opponent.

As there are not yet any teams to draw from, the Rough Riders have held trials and put together an impressive roster of 60 players, many of whom have NFL experience. They've also made clear they will be targeting players dropped from NFL, NHL and NBA contracts in the future.

Considering the Tigers will be missing many of their internationals due to the world cup, I imagine this could be quite a close and entertaining game that could really help promote Rugby in America.

Could the sleeping giant be about to wake?

ReadBetweenthePosts

Back to top Go down

NRFL Rough Riders Empty Re: NRFL Rough Riders

Post by LordDowlais Wed 15 Apr 2015, 10:24 am

I have been saying for years, that rugby union is tailor made for the US market. High scoring, high impact, end to end, rough and tough. The only problem I have is that they might try and change it to quarters to fit in adverts and the what not. If the US start putting this sport in their colleges like other sports then it will take off.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Wed 15 Apr 2015, 11:47 am

From what i understand US Rugby do not support the idea of the NRFL or the PRP. They had been planning to introduce their own pro leagues over time. It's a very strange situation and i think that if this goes wrong (the cancelled a game last year) then it could hamper the development of Pro Rugby in the states for a while.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 15 Apr 2015, 12:13 pm

I've been saying for a few years that if some Pro12 sides want out, we could create one or two American ones to fill the gap...Oh the marketing potential there if it took off with the Italian Mafia supporting two Nations (Italian teams and American teams) and of course the Drinkin'n'Fightin' Irish who would support anyone who paid them enough to Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadBetweenthePosts Wed 15 Apr 2015, 1:07 pm

Coleman wrote:From what i understand US Rugby do not support the idea of the NRFL or the PRP. They had been planning to introduce their own pro leagues over time. It's a very strange situation and i think that if this goes wrong (the cancelled a game last year) then it could hamper the development of Pro Rugby in the states for a while.

I noticed there is a distinct lack of any mention of either USA Rugby or World Rugby on the NRFL site. Also strangely they have taken to referring to the sport as RUXV (Rugby Union Fifteens) which they have felt the need to Trademark.

ReadBetweenthePosts

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Wed 15 Apr 2015, 4:06 pm

The whole thing feels very anti rugby to me in honesty. They are setting up the "league" (No teams or team locations yet) without consultation with US Rugby, ignoring the fact that there are two high tier leagues in the US (PRP & ARP) both of which are break offs from US Rugby. 

There seems to be a growing frustration in the US with their lack of professional development and i worry that the NRFL are just trying to make money off of a sport that is riding a small popularity wave in the states after the NZ game and the Olympics to come.

I think the NRFL is going to do more damage then good. They held trials last year, promissed a group of players contracts and then didn't come through. They have the potential to alienate a massive group of sponsors and future players/fans.

I'd much rather see the two break away leagues funded and come back under US Rugby's control as they are grass roots develolments created soley for the advancement of rugby in America. Whereas the NRFL feels a lot like a get rich off of the next big thing organisation.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by madmaccas Thu 16 Apr 2015, 11:03 am

Coleman wrote: I'd much rather see the two break away leagues funded and come back under US Rugby's control as they are grass roots develolments created soley for the advancement of rugby in America. Whereas the NRFL feels a lot like a get rich off of the next big thing organisation.

Yeah it'd be a shame if they made the mistake of being a separate organisation ala the Aviva Premiership/Pro 12, we've all seen the trouble that can create.

How different European rugby would have been if England and France had centrally contracted their players as the Pro12 and Super rugby teams do.

madmaccas

http://www.scotlandrugbynews.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down