The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welsh World Cup Squad

+41
Knowsit17
Coleman
Chunky Norwich
Sin é
Cardiff Dave
George Carlin
rainbow-warrior
munkian
Shifty
lostinwales
Fanster
Luckless Pedestrian
LondonTiger
Welshmushroom
SecretFly
HongKongCherry
Cyril
funnyExiledScot
TightHEAD
Poorfour
chris_501
wales606
sad_gimp
RDW
Gooseberry
wayne
iantobquick
Seagultaf
No 7&1/2
Sgt_Pooly
maestegmafia
BamBam
ScarletSpiderman
offload
Jhamer25
LordDowlais
GavinDragon
majesticimperialman
Gwlad
The Saint
bedfordwelsh
45 posters

Page 22 of 22 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22

Go down

Welsh World Cup Squad - Page 22 Empty Welsh World Cup Squad

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 11 Apr 2015, 9:16 pm

First topic message reminder :

Dragons not playing until tomorrow and quiet on here so just wondered what early thoughts are on the Welsh WC squad.  I think a lot of it will pick itself unless injury or shock retirements Wink dictate.  I have gone with a 30 man squad 16/14 forwards/back split same as last world cup so here's my thought.

Here's the 47 man Training Squad, Players in bold are the ones I think are already inked in:

Props (5) JENKINS,JAMES,LEE, Evans, Francis, Jarvis, Andrews
Hookers (3) BALDWIN,OWENS, Dacey
2 Row (3) AWJ, CHARTERIS, Ball, Davies, Day
Backrow (5) FALETAU, WARBURTON, LYDIATE, TIPURIC,Moriarty, King

No9s (3) WEBB, Davies, Ll Williams
No10s (3) BIGGAR, PRIESTLAND, Anscombe, Morgan
Centres (3) ROBERTS, Sc WILLIAMS, Morgan, Allen
Back 3 (5) NORTH, HALFPENNY, Li WILLIAMS, Cuthbert, Walker, Amos, James (Then 2 from Cuthbert, Amos, Walker) For me Cuthbert and Amos

As I said the ones in Bold are the ones I feel are already pencilled in to go. Updated squad as we stand now

Last edited by bedfordwelsh on Thu 13 Aug 2015, 4:47 pm; edited 3 times in total
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Welsh World Cup Squad - Page 22 Empty Re: Welsh World Cup Squad

Post by Gwlad Sun 09 Aug 2015, 2:37 am

Gwlad wrote:You have to think then that one of the next 2 warm ups will feature a full strength side, or,  is he going to cosset key players (Webb, Warburton, AWJ, Lydiate, Faletau, Half, Doc, North etc) until RWC itself.

Space between group games becomes key as does the need to beat a strong confident Fiji and to put a cricket score on Uruguay;

20 Sept Uruguay 6 days
26 Sept Eng only 5 days!
1st Oct Fiji 9 days
10th Aus

I imagine a first team of sorts will play v Italy, but he has to preserve his first team from playing v Urguay as we face England a mere 6 days later... so I expect there to be key bench players if required and the youngsters to be given their chance v Uruguay.  A mix and match leaning towards first team v Fiji but again, only a 5 day rest after Eng we need to ensure this isn't the banana skin again. Obviously with a long rest, the best we have left v Aus.

Home advantage will tell in the fiji game and i expect us to win but selection has to be right and i imagine at least part of the training regime being so hard is to acknowledge the turnarounds.

Beginning to think Gatland may do the same thing when we replay Ireland; just play the chaff.

He KNOWS who his first string is already- its been the same for eons…so why risk it in meaningless warm ups?…he was almost evasive about cutting the squad down next week and i think he knows he doesn't want to risk his top team due to our lack of strength in depth.

Uruguay is still a perfect warm up-come points fest; a proper 2nd string with strong bench can exploit them for the much needed PD.

Most likely however that he will try out his ideal side before RWC but i still wouldn't be surprised if he didnt do it until Italy.

We know he is proposing effectively having two teams, one for Fiji and Uruguay and one v Aus/Eng. A set of utility type bench players therefore becomes much more important as they can form the nucleus of the Fiji/Uru team due to the stupidly short gap between games which gives England an unfair advantage.

This '2nd' string will play Fiji no doubt with a core of first team on the bench to shore up only if required…its that Fiji/Uruguay side that is the tricky one. Cant slip up in either contest.

Makes me think we will see the Firsts v Italy but not v Ireland.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 09 Aug 2015, 11:40 am

It will be the best team available for Fiji, though he might make a token change here and there depending on injury and concussion to North. I can only see him putting in different combo's against Uruguay, the half-backs and centre's for example. It won't be wholesale. We'll probably have our best team for the other two warm-ups, otherwise it would be pointless honouring the fixture. The question is where and when does Francis get his first cap? We can't have Jarvis with Andrews as back-up in the team if we want to win games.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 09 Aug 2015, 11:47 am

This thread is getting longer than Warren Gatland's face.

Anyone like to start a replacement?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 10 Aug 2015, 9:58 am

So is this closed now?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down