The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welsh World Cup Squad

+41
Knowsit17
Coleman
Chunky Norwich
Sin é
Cardiff Dave
George Carlin
rainbow-warrior
munkian
Shifty
lostinwales
Fanster
Luckless Pedestrian
LondonTiger
Welshmushroom
SecretFly
HongKongCherry
Cyril
funnyExiledScot
TightHEAD
Poorfour
chris_501
wales606
sad_gimp
RDW
Gooseberry
wayne
iantobquick
Seagultaf
No 7&1/2
Sgt_Pooly
maestegmafia
BamBam
ScarletSpiderman
offload
Jhamer25
LordDowlais
GavinDragon
majesticimperialman
Gwlad
The Saint
bedfordwelsh
45 posters

Page 1 of 22 1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 22  Next

Go down

Welsh World Cup Squad Empty Welsh World Cup Squad

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 11 Apr 2015, 9:16 pm

Dragons not playing until tomorrow and quiet on here so just wondered what early thoughts are on the Welsh WC squad.  I think a lot of it will pick itself unless injury or shock retirements Wink dictate.  I have gone with a 30 man squad 16/14 forwards/back split same as last world cup so here's my thought.

Here's the 47 man Training Squad, Players in bold are the ones I think are already inked in:

Props (5) JENKINS,JAMES,LEE, Evans, Francis, Jarvis, Andrews
Hookers (3) BALDWIN,OWENS, Dacey
2 Row (3) AWJ, CHARTERIS, Ball, Davies, Day
Backrow (5) FALETAU, WARBURTON, LYDIATE, TIPURIC,Moriarty, King

No9s (3) WEBB, Davies, Ll Williams
No10s (3) BIGGAR, PRIESTLAND, Anscombe, Morgan
Centres (3) ROBERTS, Sc WILLIAMS, Morgan, Allen
Back 3 (5) NORTH, HALFPENNY, Li WILLIAMS, Cuthbert, Walker, Amos, James (Then 2 from Cuthbert, Amos, Walker) For me Cuthbert and Amos

As I said the ones in Bold are the ones I feel are already pencilled in to go. Updated squad as we stand now

Last edited by bedfordwelsh on Thu 13 Aug 2015, 4:47 pm; edited 3 times in total
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Welsh World Cup Squad Empty Re: Welsh World Cup Squad

Post by The Saint Sat 11 Apr 2015, 9:27 pm

I think you're spot on. If Francis is as good as they say, he'll be there. I doubt Lee will be there because of injury, it's his Achilles... I think they'll announce a training squad first, and it'll be 38-40 players.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 11 Apr 2015, 9:31 pm

Yeah tighthead will be the big battle ground I think. The guys will know that Lee is a doubt so it's upto them to stake their claim.

Gatland has always liked Rh Jones as a tighthead but by all accounts he wasn't impressed by Francis' fitness levels.

bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat 11 Apr 2015, 9:35 pm

Well he is a big lad. The training camps, aren't they going to Qatar as well as Poland this time? There's a chance they'd take a punt and try to bring his fitness levels up. I don't really rate Rhodri Jones as a TH, and don't remember really seeing anything of him at LH. He is a good player around the field though. Behind Biggar we're really weak at fly-half. Isn't Williams out for a long spell?

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 11 Apr 2015, 9:40 pm

It will be interesting to see how much weight a DC carries, lets say there one slot between Rh Jones and Jarvis and Jones is on a DC who gets it.

Yeah forgot about Williams being injured to, am not a Hook fan and wouldn't necessarily pick him but as a utility player if he was included then I wouldn't be to upset.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat 11 Apr 2015, 9:58 pm

Who's the third Jones? Surely you're not referring to Adam...

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 11 Apr 2015, 10:02 pm

The Saint wrote:Who's the third Jones? Surely you're not referring to Adam...

3rd Jones?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat 11 Apr 2015, 10:28 pm

Soz, couldn't make sense of this:

bedfordwelsh wrote:It will be interesting to see how much weight a DC carries, lets say there one slot between Rh Jones and Jarvis and Jones is on a DC who gets it.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 11 Apr 2015, 10:49 pm

lol, meant as Rh Jones is on a DC if there was only one slot open would he or Jarvis get the nod.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat 11 Apr 2015, 11:15 pm

I think it was a bit of a naïve decision putting Rh Jones on a DC in the first place - ultimate bench warmer when not injured long-term. Hopefully it isn't Jarvis getting the nod or a DC, he can only really do a job against sub-standard opposition, like the type you'd face in either the LV cup or team Romania.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 12 Apr 2015, 9:07 am

The Saint wrote:I think it was a bit of a naïve decision putting Rh Jones on a DC in the first place - ultimate bench warmer when not injured long-term. Hopefully it isn't Jarvis getting the nod or a DC, he can only really do a job against sub-standard opposition, like the type you'd face in either the LV cup or team Romania.

Thing is though Saint when you look at our T/Head options outside of Lee it will be a gamble whoever we pick. Other than you know who, the ones Gatland have used are Rh Jones, Jarvis, Andrews or Mitchell with Francis being called into the training squad.

None of them fill me with confidence, I have only read reports about Francis which as good as they read Gatland by all accounts wasn't impressed with his fitness levels. At one stage I thought Mitchell would be the answer but he has never really kicked on and seems to be injured a lot these days.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sun 12 Apr 2015, 6:54 pm

Is Lee not likely to be fit, i know its an achilles but he is young. Either way we have to assume not and we need to blood a solid replacement in the summer who with, i would suggest P James as the back up. I would go with Francis who must know he has a huge opportunity.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 12 Apr 2015, 7:23 pm

When you look at the last the WC squad there were 5 props, 3 L/Heads and 2 T/Heads.  I would imagine something similar this year with as you suggested Gwlad, James or even Jenkins providing cover if need be.

Last edited by bedfordwelsh on Sun 12 Apr 2015, 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 12 Apr 2015, 7:54 pm

Is Mike Phillips still in with a chance of playing?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 12 Apr 2015, 8:00 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:Is Mike Phillips still in with a chance of playing?

Maj,

I think he is yeah. Will most likely be 3rd choice but he still offers something different to our other 9s and he has always been one of Gatlands go to players so to speak.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 12 Apr 2015, 8:07 pm

I just though his time was up. what with Rys Webb and the other chapp. ( daives) i think his name is playing instead of him.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 12 Apr 2015, 8:08 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:I just though his time was up. what with Rys Webb and the other chapp. ( daives) i think his name is playing instead of him.

That's why I think he will be 3rd choice so I guess it depends on how many 9s we take (took 3 last time) Webb and Davies will/should be 1st and 2nd.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Mon 13 Apr 2015, 12:05 pm

If I were the WRU I would be arranging a friendlly against Namibia next week, pay the fine for Exeter and get Francis capped ASAP!

Tha lad demolished Corbisiero yesterday and the Alex Waller when he came on.

He did tire at 50 minutes but who cares if he has done enough damage by that point

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 13 Apr 2015, 12:46 pm

Am still surprised he wasn't capped against Italy.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 13 Apr 2015, 12:51 pm

Who do we think Gatlands young outside bet for a cap will be ? You know like he has done in the past, Prydie, Robinson, North. I think he will take Sam Davies to the WC if I am honest. Even if it just to give him some exposure.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Mon 13 Apr 2015, 12:53 pm

I dont think there will be too many surprises tbh

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Mon 13 Apr 2015, 12:56 pm

If it's Sam Davies then fans should stop paying to go and watch matches. I thought we moved on from all this capping for the sake of it rubbish - though in Francis' case I think we can all agree there's an exception.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Mon 13 Apr 2015, 1:00 pm

I watched the Exeter game yesterday and I was really suprised when I saw Francis' dominance over Corbisiero. Francis was awesome in the scrum; pushing over a Northampton front row with the English international and former lions was outstanding.

I think Gatland has to work on him, get him fit and loose a bit of timber and he will be the answer for our tighthead crises as I really doubt Samson will make it in the world cup in time. Watched Ospreys and Jarvis was sent packing by a young italian loosehead numerous times, he can't be in our world cup team as he can't give a platform.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Mon 13 Apr 2015, 1:01 pm

If Dragons make the euro final and face-off against Exeter then Gatland might be convinced Wink.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Mon 13 Apr 2015, 1:06 pm

I think Gatland may already be convinced if he invited him to train with the squad. From the Western Mail article it seems like it is Francis himself who has been delaying the step up in case he was found wanting

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 13 Apr 2015, 1:07 pm

Jhamer25 wrote:I watched the Exeter game yesterday and I was really suprised when I saw Francis' dominance over Corbisiero. Francis was awesome in the scrum; pushing over a Northampton front row with the English international and former lions was outstanding.

I think Gatland has to work on him, get him fit and loose a bit of timber and he will be the answer for our tighthead crises as I really doubt Samson will make it in the world cup in time. Watched Ospreys and Jarvis was sent packing by a young italian loosehead numerous times, he can't be in our world cup team as he can't give a platform.

Jarvis was rubbish on Friday night, as was Bevington, as soon as Nicky Smith and Dimitri Arhip came on the game swung in Ospreys favour. Jarvis and Bevington will never make the grade.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Mon 13 Apr 2015, 2:53 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
Jhamer25 wrote:I watched the Exeter game yesterday and I was really suprised when I saw Francis' dominance over Corbisiero. Francis was awesome in the scrum; pushing over a Northampton front row with the English international and former lions was outstanding.

Jarvis was rubbish on Friday night, as was Bevington, as soon as Nicky Smith and Dimitri Arhip came on the game swung in Ospreys favour. Jarvis and Bevington will never make the grade.

I don't want to be too harsh on Bevington yet because he hasn't long come back from a nasty injury but like you said, he did struggle against Harden. He was a descent scrummager before, nothing special imo but was able to hold a scrum out in most pro 12 matches.
Anyway Nicky Smith should be a clear choice anyway, both him and Arhip are better all round players than Bevington and Jarvis.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Mon 13 Apr 2015, 3:01 pm

Also I think i read that Gatland will be announcing a 45 man team in late June. The world cup squads are 31 this year as well i think

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Mon 13 Apr 2015, 3:34 pm

Jarvis is a solid regional player but not up to it at internation level.

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 13 Apr 2015, 3:58 pm

GavinDragon wrote:Jarvis is a solid regional player but not up to it at internation level.

I agree, he is a good player to bring on with 15 mins to go and you are either chasing a bonus point or a win, he is very good in the loose, but his lack of ability to scrummage means that his ability in the loose does not out weigh his lack of ability in the scrum, like it does for Gethin Jenkins.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 13 Apr 2015, 4:06 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Who do we think Gatlands young outside bet for a cap will be ? You know like he has done in the past, Prydie, Robinson, North. I think he will take Sam Davies to the WC if I am honest. Even if it just to give him some exposure.

Tyler Morgan would be my guess.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 13 Apr 2015, 4:07 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
GavinDragon wrote:Jarvis is a solid regional player but not up to it at internation level.

I agree, he is a good player to bring on with 15 mins to go and you are either chasing a bonus point or a win, he is very good in the loose, but his lack of ability to scrummage means that his ability in the loose does not out weigh his lack of ability in the scrum, like it does for Gethin Jenkins.

Agreed but as I wrote earlier when you look at the ones Gatland have used we are short in that area after Lee so whoever he picks will be a risk.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Mon 13 Apr 2015, 4:09 pm

Francis is the answer and on what I have seen in terms of how he has performed against the players he has played against - I would go as far as saying he is a better scrummager that Lee

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 13 Apr 2015, 4:10 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:Who do we think Gatlands young outside bet for a cap will be ? You know like he has done in the past, Prydie, Robinson, North. I think he will take Sam Davies to the WC if I am honest. Even if it just to give him some exposure.

Tyler Morgan would be my guess.

Good shout. After watching Dragons yesterday, I would say Dixon is a good shout as well.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 13 Apr 2015, 4:18 pm

GavinDragon wrote:Francis is the answer and on what I have seen in terms of how he has performed against the players he has played against - I would go as far as saying he is a better scrummager that Lee

GD,

Agree in theory but he is still unproven at this level so that in itself will be a risk if he's selected.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Mon 13 Apr 2015, 4:24 pm

Bedford I am a front rower. I watched Samson Lee two years before his debut, he demolished the NZ front row in the JWC and did the same against most pro 12 sides when he broke through. But I have never seen him do what Francis did to a player of corbisiero's quality yesterday. Corbisiero was trying everything, going low, turning in, binding on the arm, it did not matter the kid had him in his pocket. Make no mistake if we don't cap him and soon England will

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 13 Apr 2015, 5:13 pm

GavinDragon wrote:Bedford I am a front rower. I watched Samson Lee two years before his debut, he demolished the NZ front row in the JWC and did the same against most pro 12 sides when he broke through. But I have never seen him do what Francis did to a player of corbisiero's quality yesterday. Corbisiero was trying everything, going low, turning in, binding on the arm, it did not matter the kid had him in his pocket. Make no mistake if we don't cap him and soon England will

Couldn't agree more on capping him, which as I said before is why I am surprised he didn't get capped against Italy. All the reports I read is that he is the real deal but I guess throwing any uncapped player in at any stage is a risk and Gatland has proved he's not afraid to take risks with selection.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Mon 13 Apr 2015, 5:19 pm

GavinDragon wrote:Bedford I am a front rower. I watched Samson Lee two years before his debut, he demolished the NZ front row in the JWC and did the same against most pro 12 sides when he broke through. But I have never seen him do what Francis did to a player of corbisiero's quality yesterday. Corbisiero was trying everything, going low, turning in, binding on the arm, it did not matter the kid had him in his pocket. Make no mistake if we don't cap him and soon England will

I'm not a front rower and not my area of expertise. I thought Francis did really well yesterday (as did the whole Exeter pack) but I also can see that Corbisiero is badly lacking form. Leicester also gave Exeter (including Francis) a good hiding in the scrum recently. I think Francis has said he's ready to commit to Wales and I also think we should move quickly, but I'm not sure we should big him up too much just yet. He's got such little top level experience to carry into the WC.

offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 13 Apr 2015, 5:55 pm

offload,

That's the big issue though, after Lee (who himself is still new to International scene really) anyone we pick will be a risk I feel.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Mon 13 Apr 2015, 6:04 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:offload,

That's the big issue though, after Lee (who himself is still new to International scene really) anyone we pick will be a risk I feel.

Agreed Bedford, rearrange the following words:

choosers be beggars can't

or

creek a s**t paddle up without
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Mon 13 Apr 2015, 6:48 pm

Cap francis in the warm ups, play him in the low risk group games , england, uruguay and maybe fiji, if he comes good so be it if not use P James for the big game v Aus

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 15 Apr 2015, 11:33 am

The training camps are planned for Switzerland and Qatar, but neither Priest or Hibbard will make them due to their contracts with Glaws and Bath.

Personally I think I would look at the RWC squad of

(5) Jenkins, R Evans, James, Lee (if unfit Rh Jones/Francis), Jarvis
(3) Baldwin, Owens, Hibbard
(3) AWJ, Charteris, Ball
(6)Lydiate, Warburton, Tipuric, Faletau, King/Baker, Navidi/J Davies

(3) Webb, Phillips, Davies
(2) Biggar, Anscomme
(3) Roberts, Foxy, Sc Williams
(4) North, Amos, Halfpenny, Li Williams

However I think during the first warm up I would go for

R Evans, E Dee, T Francis
B Davies, J Ball
J King, Baker, Navidi

Phillips, Anscomme
J Dixon, T Morgan
Amos, D Evans, Cuthbert
(Bench-: Owens, James, Rh Jones, Baker, J Davies; G Davies, Priestland, Li Williams)

That would give some players a chance to put their hands up, even if it is only to nail the reserve spots. Then in the second friendly I would go for a slightly more familiar team with a few potential outside hopes in there, and then the full team for the final warm up game.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed 15 Apr 2015, 12:12 pm

Gwlad wrote:Cap francis in the warm ups, play him in the low risk group games , england, uruguay and maybe fiji, if he comes good so be it if not use P James for the big game v Aus

LOL laughing thumbsup

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 15 Apr 2015, 12:34 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:The training camps are planned for Switzerland and Qatar, but neither Priest or Hibbard will make them due to their contracts with Glaws and Bath.

(3) AWJ, Charteris, Ball

(2) Biggar, Anscomme

However I think during the first warm up  I would go for

B Davies, J Ball
J King, Baker, Navidi

Phillips, Anscomme
J Dixon, T Morgan
Amos, D Evans, Cuthbert
(Bench-: Owens, James, Rh Jones, Baker, J Davies; G Davies, Priestland, Li Williams)

That would give some players a chance to put their hands up, even if it is only to nail the reserve spots.  Then in the second friendly I would go for a slightly more familiar team with a few potential outside hopes in there, and then the full team for the final warm up game.

Really only hibbards that will be missed

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Wed 15 Apr 2015, 1:07 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:The training camps are planned for Switzerland and Qatar, but neither Priest or Hibbard will make them due to their contracts with Glaws and Bath.

(3) AWJ, Charteris, Ball

(2) Biggar, Anscomme

B Davies, J Ball
J King, Baker, Navidi

Phillips, Anscomme
J Dixon, T Morgan
Amos, D Evans, Cuthbert

That would give some players a chance to put their hands up, even if it is only to nail the reserve spots.  Then in the second friendly I would go for a slightly more familiar team with a few potential outside hopes in there, and then the full team for the final warm up game.

I would start Gareth Davies at 9 in that first match

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 15 Apr 2015, 4:10 pm

I thought Priestland didn't sign with Bath until after the WC?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 15 Apr 2015, 4:12 pm

maestegmafia wrote:

(3) AWJ, Charteris, Ball

(2) Biggar, Anscomme

B Davies, J Ball
J King, Baker, Navidi

Phillips, Anscomme
J Dixon, T Morgan
Amos, D Evans, Cuthbert

Bakers going to be busy Wink
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 15 Apr 2015, 7:38 pm

GavinDragon wrote:

I would start Gareth Davies at 9 in that first match

He will need game time so I think you're right. I don't think he will play any more matches this season.

I think we are all much happier with Davies and Webb in such good form compared to our options of the last RWC.

In general I think. Have a stronger squad now than we did last time. More experience too, think that Biggar and only had a few caps prior to the last RWC.

In that time we have developed some good players in Tipuric, Baldwin, Lee Williams and Samson Lee. We also have some exciting options like Baker and Nicky Smith to add competition to the squad.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 15 Apr 2015, 8:45 pm

Maes,

Biggar wasn't in the last World Cup squad but agree on the No9, Webb Davies and Phillips looks way better than Phillips Knoyle and Ll Williams.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu 16 Apr 2015, 10:16 am

offload wrote:

I'm not a front rower and not my area of expertise.  I thought Francis did really well yesterday (as did the whole Exeter pack) but I also can see that Corbisiero is badly lacking form.  Leicester also gave Exeter (including Francis) a good hiding in the scrum recently.  I think Francis has said he's ready to commit to Wales and I also think we should move quickly, but I'm not sure we should big him up too much just yet. He's got such little top level experience to carry into the WC.

An Exeter fan has recently stated that Francis didn't play in that game as he pulled up with n injury before kick off.

He has came on 100% this season and is a true dominant scrummager in the Adam Jones mould. His work in the loose is decent but he's a big unit and tires quickly. I'm hoping SL brings him into the England set-up as he's better than Kieran Brookes.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 22 1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 22  Next