The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII

+49
BamBam
IanBru
InjuredYetAgain
lostinwales
TJ
Mad for Chelsea
Notch
Tattie Scones RRN
Jenifer McLadyboy
sensisball
Heuer27
demosthenes
madmaccas
luvtotup
Anglobraveheart
CraigS1874
SirBurger
21st Century Schizoid Man
highland_scot
nickj
Scottish White Line Fever
cakeordeath
IrnBroon
JonnyEdinburgh
Totalflanker
VinceWLB
Second Ranker
RuggerRadge2611
Weegie Wizard
Manky-Flanker
des
Majestic83
TheMildlyFranticLlama
Imperialbigdave
A Simply Mesmeric Try
justified sinner
cp10
MacKnocked-on
Nematode
jimbopip
EWT Spoons
GLove39
R!skysports
tigertattie
BigGee
WhiskyBluff
funnyExiledScot
RDW
George Carlin
53 posters

Page 4 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 21  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII  - Page 4 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII

Post by George Carlin Mon 02 Mar 2015, 8:54 am

First topic message reminder :

Ye Olde Banter:
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII  - Page 4 Moreca10
https://www.606v2.com/t48240-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread
https://www.606v2.com/t51313-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-ii
https://www.606v2.com/t53119-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-iii
https://www.606v2.com/t54519-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-iv
https://www.606v2.com/t55409-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-v-the-fun-continues
https://www.606v2.com/t56913p950-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-vi-banter-boogaloo

A. Edinburgh
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII  - Page 4 Gryffi10   

1. League Results

Fri 5 Sep: Munster Rugby 13 - 14 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 12 Sep: Edinburgh Rugby 13 - 14 Connacht Rugby

Sun 21 Sep: Ospreys 62 - 13 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 26 Sep: Edinburgh Rugby 20 - 20 Scarlets

Fri 3 Oct: Ulster Rugby 30 - 0 Edinburgh Rugby

Sat 11 Oct: Edinburgh Rugby 24 - 10 Newport Gwent Dragons

Fri 31 Oct: Leinster Rugby 33 - 8 Edinburgh Rugby

Sun 23 Nov: Edinburgh Rugby 28 - 13 Cardiff Blues

Sat 29 Nov: Zebre 18 - 10 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 19 Dec: Edinburgh Rugby 48 - 0 Benetton Treviso

Sat 27 Dec: Glasgow Warriors 16 - 6 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 2 Jan: Edinburgh Rugby - 20 - 8 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 9 Jan: Connacht Rugby 13 - 16 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 13 Feb: Edinburgh Rugby 24 - 16 Ospreys

Fri 20 Feb: Edinburgh Rugby 17 - 20 Ulster Rugby

Sun 1 Mar: Cardiff Blues 21 - 15 Edinburgh Rugby

2. European Results

17/10/14: Bordeaux-Begles 13 - 15 Edinburgh Rugby

24/10/14: Edinburgh Rugby 25 - 17 Lyon

7/12/14: Edinburgh Rugby 25 - 13 London Welsh

14/12/14: London Welsh 6 - 24 Edinburgh Rugby

17/01/2015: Lyon 21 - 19 Edinburgh Rugby

23/01/2015: Edinburgh Rugby 38 - 20 Bordeaux-Begles

B. Glasgow
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII  - Page 4 Slythe10

1. League Results

Sat 6 Sep: Glasgow Warriors 22 - 20 Leinster Rugby

Sun 14 Sep: Cardiff Blues 12 - 33 Glasgow Warriors

Sat 20 Sep: Newport Gwent Dragons 13 - 33 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 26 Sep: Glasgow Warriors 39 - 21 Connacht Rugby

Sun 5 Oct: Benetton Treviso 23 - 40 Glasgow Warriors

Sat 11 Oct: Ulster Rugby 29 - 9 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 31 Oct: Glasgow Warriors 17 - 9 Benetton Treviso

Fri 21 Nov: Scarlets 19 - 9 Glasgow Warriors

Sun 30 Nov: Glasgow Warriors 19 - 15 Newport Gwent Dragons

Sat 20 Dec: Glasgow Warriors 21 - 18 Munster Rugby

Sat 27 Dec: Glasgow Warriors 16 - 6 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 2 Jan: Edinburgh Rugby 20 - 8 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 9 Jan: Glasgow Warriors 22 - 7 Scarlets

Sun 15 Feb: Zebre 10 - 54 Glasgow Warriors

Sat 21 Feb: Glasgow Warriors 19 - 16 Ospreys

Sat 28 Feb: Munster Rugby 22 - 10 Glasgow Warriors

2. European Results

18/10/14: Glasgow Warriors 37 - 10 Bath Rugby

25/10/14: Montpellier 13 - 15 Glasgow Warriors

7/12/14: Toulouse 19 - 11 Glasgow Warriors

13/12/14: Glasgow Warriors 9 - 12 Toulouse

18/01/2015: Glasgow Warriors 21 - 10 Montpellier

25/01/2015: Bath Rugby 20 - 15 Glasgow Warriors
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII  - Page 4 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII

Post by Weegie Wizard Tue 17 Mar 2015, 11:02 am

I actually think that is very good news. We need a scrum half and he's pretty good.

Fair enough I won't be happy if he is the last signing announced but it's a good addition.

Weegie Wizard

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII  - Page 4 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII

Post by Majestic83 Tue 17 Mar 2015, 11:03 am

cakeordeath wrote:What. We are getting Grayson Hart. That's even more underwhelming than a re-signing

I have to say I think Grayson Hart is actually a pretty decent 9. Very gritty in the way he plays and similar style to Gary Armstrong. Quite different to the other 9s in Scotland and when he has had a run of games for Edinburgh has performed pretty well. Think he will do pretty well at Glasgow and to be honest Townsend is fairly astute with the players he brings in.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Tue 17 Mar 2015, 11:10 am

Majestic83 wrote:
cakeordeath wrote:What. We are getting Grayson Hart. That's even more underwhelming than a re-signing

I have to say I think Grayson Hart is actually a pretty decent 9. Very gritty in the way he plays and similar style to Gary Armstrong. Quite different to the other 9s in Scotland and when he has had a run of games for Edinburgh has performed pretty well. Think he will do pretty well at Glasgow and to be honest Townsend is fairly astute with the players he brings in.

Yeah I agree, maybe I was being a bit harsh. I was just hoping for Richie to make a return

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 17 Mar 2015, 11:13 am

Weegie Wizard wrote:I actually think that is very good news. We need a scrum half and he's pretty good.

Fair enough I won't be happy if he is the last signing announced but it's a good addition.
Yeah. He's not really Fijian enough for me to get very excited but he won't let anyone down and was underused at Edinburgh thanks to Baggins of Bag End and the Spaniard.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Tue 17 Mar 2015, 11:14 am

cakeordeath wrote:
Majestic83 wrote:

Yeah I agree, maybe I was being a bit harsh. I was just hoping for Richie to make a return

Yeah a bit surprised Edinburgh are letting him go especially with Sean Kennedy being injured and also his loss of form. Hopefully Richie is still on his way as expect a few more signings to be announced over the next few weeks.
I wonder if this means Edinburgh will have a new 9 on the way or if Nathan Fowles is going to have his loan deal from Sale made permanent?

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 17 Mar 2015, 11:17 am

Solid signing for Glasgow, and I am definitely disappointed to see him leave - when on form he is a very good 9, but his form is a bit erratic.

He seems to be a great character and a good positive presence in a squad too, which helps.

Unless Alex Glashan is going to step up, Edinburgh are now going to be short of 9s! Rolling Eyes

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 17 Mar 2015, 11:17 am

Also, now that he's moved to Glasgow I'm sure he'll suddenly become world class and get selected for the next Lions tour!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 17 Mar 2015, 11:50 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Also, now that he's moved to Glasgow I'm sure he'll suddenly become world class and get selected for the next Lions tour!

Quite right.

I quite liked Hart, and he was definitely our 2nd choice ahead of Kennedy. Still, Glasgow really need a 9 with Matawalu on the way out and Hart will serve you guys well. From an Edinburgh perspective I'd rather you took Kennedy back.

Still, not exactly headline grabbing news for the 1872 runners-up!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 17 Mar 2015, 11:53 am

I don't think Glasgow fans should be too disappointed with this - most of you wanted Kennedy when this has been discussed in the past, but I agree with FES that Hart has been the better player. I'd have preferred Kennedy to leave too - we don't know what he'll be like when he returns from a long injury layoff.

Plus Hart is only 26 - plenty years on him yet!

Kennedy's return date is September/October - given S-H-C is likely to be in the world cup squad, that leaves us with no 9s for the start of the season!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 17 Mar 2015, 12:18 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Kennedy's return date is September/October - given S-H-C is likely to be in the world cup squad, that leaves us with no 9s for the start of the season!

I presume Fowles will become permanent and then there's Glashan as well who looks promising. The worst outcome is we replace Hart with another NSQ journeyman - please just leave it with SH-C, Kennedy, Glashan and Fowles.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by cp10 Tue 17 Mar 2015, 12:23 pm

I would like to see George Horne get a contract. Didn't think he was a great 10 (or big enough) but since his move to 9 he's looked impressive for the U20s. Has  a very similar game to SHC and also a high % goal kicker. AS has also shown he's happy to pluck a non Academy boy in for a full contract if its merited.

Based on AS game plan I don't think Grayson Hart fitted in. His box kicking is a bit wayward. Glasgow are used to Niko's wayward box kicking so know how to play around it.

cp10

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Tue 17 Mar 2015, 12:26 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Kennedy's return date is September/October - given S-H-C is likely to be in the world cup squad, that leaves us with no 9s for the start of the season!

I presume Fowles will become permanent and then there's Glashan as well who looks promising. The worst outcome is we replace Hart with another NSQ journeyman - please just leave it with SH-C, Kennedy, Glashan and Fowles.

I think this will be what happens and we get Fowles on a permanent deal. Would expect Glashan to move ahead of Kennedy as he looks a very good player who has also played a lot at 10 this season for Accies.
The worst thing that could happen is if Edinburgh replace Hart with a journeyman player like Chris Leck.
Think it is a fantastic signing for Glasgow and hope he really kicks on now getting more game time as he could be a very handy player for Scotland given he is a very different type of 9 to any of the current lot.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 17 Mar 2015, 12:29 pm

Fowles is very much a short term fix - doesn't necessarily mean he's going to sign.

He's looked ok when he's played, but I don't think he's SQ! Would much rather Glashan and Horne start stepping up

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Tue 17 Mar 2015, 12:38 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Fowles is very much a short term fix - doesn't necessarily mean he's going to sign.

He's looked ok when he's played, but I don't think he's SQ! Would much rather Glashan and Horne start stepping up  

Fowles is SQ according to the Edinburgh website when he signed. Think it said his grand father is from Edinburgh.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Tue 17 Mar 2015, 12:40 pm

Was having a read of the NZ herald earlier and came across this article about pacific islands players being snubbed by the ITM cup teams. This is because they are worried they will be called up by one of Fiji,tonga,samoa for the world cup and wont ever play and eat into the salary cap. Quite interesting section near the bottom which mentions how the pay structure and salary cap works in the ITM CUP in New Zealand.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/itm-cup/news/article.cfm?c_id=269&objectid=11413629

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 17 Mar 2015, 12:41 pm

Ah that makes things a bit better then.

Still doesn't mean it will become permanent though.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by cp10 Tue 17 Mar 2015, 12:43 pm

Majestic83 wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Fowles is very much a short term fix - doesn't necessarily mean he's going to sign.

Fowles is SQ according to the Edinburgh website when he signed. Think it said his grand father is from Edinburgh.

On his bio on the ER site

http://www.edinburghrugby.org/edinburgh-rugby/player/nathan-fowles

Edinburgh Rugby wrote:
Nathan Shane Fowles joined Edinburgh Rugby in February 2015 on a three-month loan from Sale Sharks, to cover injury and 6 Nations duty challenges. He made his debut off the bench against Cardiff on 1 March.

Fowles progressed through the Sale Sharks academy and made his first ten appearances for the club while still a teenager. While on loan to Preston Grasshoppers in 2011/12, he was named in the National League Two North Team of the Year and he spent summer 2012 at Border Bulldogs competing in the under-21 Currie Cup. He made six appearances for the Sharks last season, taking his tally to 17, with two in the starting XV.

His grandfather is Scottish, born in Edinburgh. He came straight on to the bench for Edinburgh's defeat to Ulster however was an unused sub.

Last edited by cp10 on Tue 17 Mar 2015, 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

cp10

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Tue 17 Mar 2015, 12:44 pm

By the sounds of it the Sale fans want him back there next season after getting some game time with Edinburgh. They see him as being long term successor to Chris Cusiter.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 17 Mar 2015, 1:50 pm

Majestic83 wrote:By the sounds of it the Sale fans want him back there next season after getting some game time with Edinburgh. They see him as being long term successor to Chris Cusiter.

All the better as far as I'm concerned. It would be nice to sign a player that other sides actually want!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 17 Mar 2015, 3:12 pm

I think Fowles may stay as well, they have been playing him ahead of Hart and Glashan over the last few games, why would they do that if he was only filling in. He is almost guarenteed some game time during the WC period and he is going to put himself in the frame for international recognition in a way that he would never get to do at Sale. He has not got any guarentees of any game time there. These young pros need to take any chance they get to play proper rugby, if it was offerred to him, he would be mad to turn it down.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Tue 17 Mar 2015, 3:42 pm

From Matawalu to Hart, if Glasgow are planning to replace DTH and Maitland with that sort of "quality" they are pretty much fecked.

How the mighty has fallen.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 17 Mar 2015, 3:49 pm

I think you're being harsh Vince. Although you are right the drop from DTH to Rory Hughes or the Selkirk Pixie is quite vertiginous. Then again there are very few wingers in the Pro 12 who can finish like DTH.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Tue 17 Mar 2015, 3:55 pm

jimbopip wrote:I think you're being harsh Vince. Although you are right the drop from DTH to Rory Hughes or the Selkirk Pixie is quite vertiginous. Then again there are very few wingers in the Pro 12 who can finish like DTH.

They need to find gems from the Southern Hemishpere, there are some but there is always the risk you may sign some duds. I have been saying at the time Glasgow should have gone for Brendon Leonard who would really have suited Glasgow and the high tempo game. Hart is a bit meh.
I have been rating DTH the best winger in the league for years (even when North was there) so yeah pretty much impossible to replace him like for like Crying or Very sad

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 17 Mar 2015, 4:10 pm

VinceWLB wrote:
jimbopip wrote:I think you're being harsh Vince. Although you are right the drop from DTH to Rory Hughes or the Selkirk Pixie is quite vertiginous. Then again there are very few wingers in the Pro 12 who can finish like DTH.

They need to find gems from the Southern Hemishpere, there are some but there is always the risk you may sign some duds. I have been saying at the time Glasgow should have gone for Brendon Leonard who would really have suited Glasgow and the high tempo game. Hart is a bit meh.
I have been rating DTH the best winger in the league for years (even when North was there) so yeah pretty much impossible to replace him like for like Crying or Very sad

shame that everyone knows that Visser was the best winger in the league though!

Glasgow really need to win the pro 12 this season as it looks so far like their bubble is about to burst!

would be a crying shame if glasgow go back to being a bottom of the table team year in year out!

May be some time before they can win back the 1872 trophy also!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 17 Mar 2015, 4:27 pm

Oh Tiger, remember pride goes before... And on the subject of bubbles bursting how about considering....
Glasgow need a fourth second row (or a new first choice...come home Richie)
Harley, Bluto, Ashe, Fozzie, Favaro, Wilson and Holmes. There's plenty of back row options. oh and Bordill.
Henners, Price, Hart - could do with some experience
Dancer, Meatball, Hornee - all Scottish internationals
Dunbar, Bennett, , Lyle, Braid, Richie Vee - possibly Schlong but also Hornee Furra
Seymore, Hughes, Jones, Schlong- yes we need to recruit but I hear the buffties at HQ have lined up a 6'5" Fijian winger who is looking for a winning side and misses his best mate and fellow flag ball enthusiast Naka.
Hogg and Murchie will continue at Full Back.
I don't see us falling away next season.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 17 Mar 2015, 4:30 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:

Blair in a player/coach role?

I have no reason to suspect this will happen, but figure there are worse options.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by Weegie Wizard Tue 17 Mar 2015, 4:37 pm

If Glasgow are to continue to be challenging for playoffs/titles then we need to learn to replace those who move on to the AP (or Scarlets Headscratch) with those coming through. We will never have enough cash to keep all our top players so the likes of Hughes, Bordill, Price, Fagerson etc need to become options at 1st XV level.

Luckily, the Toonbola means that they all have a decent amount of game time despite being quite young so hopefully next season we see more of them and they can make the step up. I personally don't expect Hughes to make it so I think we need a winger or two but the others look capable.

Don't write us off yet.

Weegie Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottish White Line Fever Tue 17 Mar 2015, 7:40 pm

I would certainly echo those sentiments about Hart being a good signing for Glasgow, but from an Edinburgh perspective it looks likely to leave us short of scrum halves if SHC is in the WC squad. I know the Aviva doesn't start until after the WC, but would I be right in thinking it is business as usual for the Pro12 during the WC?

On a separate note, I wonder how many other players we will see leave Edinburgh this summer, because there is a lot of dead wood to get rid of. If the Pro12 continues throughout the World Cup then it may well be the case that some of those players might actually be required.

I would imagine that we'll see the following leave, in addition to Visser, Heathcote and Hart: Hilterbrand, Atiga, Bezuidenhout, Dominguez, Leonardi, Berghan and probably some of the younger players. Hopefully, that leaves us with a decent budget to strengthen the squad with a few quality players rather than a large number of average players, although judging by the proposed salary for Naiyaravoro that might not be possible. This has the potential to be a massive waste of money if we do not actually utilise him as an attacking weapon, which is possible given we've wasted Visser's attacking talents this season.

Back to top Go down

Post by justified sinner Wed 18 Mar 2015, 7:00 am

In addition to Hart,, Heathcoate and looks like Visser we've also let go Blaauw, Walker and Brett Thompson. Blaauw and Walker would have been on decent money, so that already frees up a fair bit of budget.

Mostly agree with your list of others who will go but I'd like to see Berghan stay he's young and has potential to improve. We'll probably move one lock on, A Toolis or McKenzie favourites plus I'd really like to see Andress go for an upgrade, but everyone wants THs so that won't be easy.

We've only signed Helu plus a few extensions ; Toolis, Coman, etc.so there should be a fair pot for new signings, just need to see who they are.

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 18 Mar 2015, 7:49 am

Walker and Thompson were, I suppose, deemed necessary squad cover but ultimately have to be chalked up as a huge waste of money.

I am really looking for Grandpappy to use his contacts in South Africa and bring in a couple of hard hitting b@stards from his homeland to start for Edinburgh post RWC. How long does Du Preez have on this contract?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 18 Mar 2015, 8:15 am

Rumours on the Edinburgh forum that Solly's contract is up this summer.

Hadn't realised it was coming to an end. I've been one of his biggest critics (I'm still far from convinced) but the team have been playing better in recent weeks.

Wonder if he will get/wants an extension, or if not who will replace him.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottish White Line Fever Wed 18 Mar 2015, 8:29 am

George Carlin wrote:Walker and Thompson were, I suppose, deemed necessary squad cover but ultimately have to be chalked up as a huge waste of money.

I am really looking for Grandpappy to use his contacts in South Africa and bring in a couple of hard hitting b@stards from his homeland to start for Edinburgh post RWC. How long does Du Preez have on this contract?

He signed a two-year contract when he signed in September 2013, so he will be due a contract extension unless he's already signed one. Hopefully he won't be looking to move on or back to SA.

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 18 Mar 2015, 8:32 am

If Du Preez hadn't been injured and ended up playing his usual high standards this season then he would have certainly been in demand - not just from SA but other high profile teams in Europe too.

Hopefully he'll stay - he is real class, and one more year and he can play international rugby.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottish White Line Fever Wed 18 Mar 2015, 8:32 am

justified sinner wrote:In addition to Hart,, Heathcoate and looks like Visser we've also let go Blaauw, Walker and Brett Thompson. Blaauw and Walker would have been on decent money, so that already frees up a fair bit of budget.

Mostly agree with your list of others who will go but I'd like to see Berghan stay he's young and has potential to improve. We'll probably move one lock on, A Toolis or McKenzie favourites plus I'd really like to see Andress go for an upgrade, but everyone wants THs so that won't be easy.

We've only signed Helu plus a few extensions ; Toolis, Coman, etc.so there should be a fair pot for new signings, just need to see who they are.

I agree, I just listed him because he's barely featured this season, if at all, so I guess Solomons might not be a fan.

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 18 Mar 2015, 8:34 am

Berghan is still only 24, and although he hasn't featured much for the first team he's had good write ups when he's played for the A team.  Not sure how he's been getting on in the Premiership though.

He's SQ too, so maybe worth another year's extension to see if he makes it.  We're not exactly overflowing with tightheads just now, and if Nel or Andress get injured he is next in line.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottish White Line Fever Wed 18 Mar 2015, 8:36 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:If Du Preez hadn't been injured and ended up playing his usual high standards this season then he would have certainly been in demand - not just from SA but other high profile teams in Europe too.

Hopefully he'll stay - he is real class, and one more year and he can play international rugby.

I believe he said he was interested in playing for Scotland so hopefully he'll look to stay for another year. Edinburgh are moving in the right direction and should be looking for the top 6 next season.

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 18 Mar 2015, 8:39 am

On Solomons, I think it would be best for both parties if he signs at least another year. It has certainly taken its time, but we're (very) slowly starting to see improvements. We're still inconsistent, but less inconsistent than we have been in the past!

Also, he has changed Edinburgh's style so dramatically that it would take at least a full season for a new coach to be able to mould them to his ways, and that would be yet another season of transition and poor results.

I think he needs another year - if we don't get top 6 again, move him on.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottish White Line Fever Wed 18 Mar 2015, 8:43 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Berghan is still only 24, and although he hasn't featured much for the first team he's had good write ups when he's played for the A team.  Not sure how he's been getting on in the Premiership though.

He's SQ too, so maybe worth another year's extension to see if he makes it.  We're not exactly overflowing with tightheads just now, and if Nel or Andress get injured he is next in line.

Agreed! Especially when you compare it with the loosehead side of the scrum - Dickinson, Sutherland, Dell and Shiells. Sutherland has probably been the most improved player this season, whilst Dell impressed before his injury. Shiells has started slightly quietly, but hopefully with a few more games we'll see more of him.

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Wed 18 Mar 2015, 8:57 am

I actually think that Hart's move to Glasgow will help his Scotland chances as well and it wouldn't surprise me if he pushes ahead of Pyrgos to become first choice at the club and a regular in the Scotland squad along with SHC. I've been impressed with Hart's playing style when he's had a chance, and with more regular starts I think he'll gain in confidence and consistency.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by Weegie Wizard Wed 18 Mar 2015, 9:23 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:On Solomons, I think it would be best for both parties if he signs at least another year.  It has certainly taken its time, but we're (very) slowly starting to see improvements.  We're still inconsistent, but less inconsistent than we have been in the past!

Also, he has changed Edinburgh's style so dramatically that it would take at least a full season for a new coach to be able to mould them to his ways, and that would be yet another season of transition and poor results.

I think he needs another year - if we don't get top 6 again, move him on.

I think the improvements are more dramatic than that. Edinburgh have made massive strides this year and if you would just move your fecking home games to a different stadium then it would become a genuinely tough place to go.

I think top 6 will probably escape you this year as the Scarlets have a dream run in but you may finish above Connacht which would (I think) give you a playoff for the ECC.

A potential problem is that you may face a similar level of transfer activity this summer as you did last year which could disrupt things. Also that Solomons imports have been of intermittent competance so progress may not be as great next year.

The short of it is - compare where you are now (1872 thiefs, genuine top 6 challengers and knock outs of Amlin) to where you were last season or the year before (top 6 challenge faded about 2/3rds through the season and pumped in europe and 1872).

Weegie Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 18 Mar 2015, 9:53 am

Given that he was drinking buddies with Moses and first saw his team scores on scoreboard using Roman numerals, it is easy to make fun of Solomons but Edinburgh have certainly improved under him and there is no doubt it is because of his influence. He really should stay for another year and I wouldn't be unhappy with a 2 year deal to give him some consistency.

I hope that Omar Mouneimne has sorted out his domestic issues and can come back too.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Wed 18 Mar 2015, 10:03 am

George Carlin wrote:Given that he was drinking buddies with Moses and first saw his team scores on scoreboard using Roman numerals, it is easy to make fun of Solomons but Edinburgh have certainly improved under him and there is no doubt it is because of his influence. He really should stay for another year and I wouldn't be unhappy with a 2 year deal to give him some consistency.

I hope that Omar Mouneimne has sorted out his domestic issues and can come back too.

Has Edinburgh's defence not improved since Omar (the defence coach?) left the club?

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by Weegie Wizard Wed 18 Mar 2015, 10:05 am

I think it has but it's difficult to know if that is down to him leaving or that the players have now had time to get used to the systems he put in place.

Either way, I assume Solomons would take him back as he seemed to rate him very highly.

Weegie Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 18 Mar 2015, 12:25 pm

I suspect that's right, and as it stands Edinburgh is pretty lean in coaching terms.

Didn't realise Berghan was SQ. If true then perhaps he should get the benefit of the doubt. We could still use another option at tighthead prop.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 18 Mar 2015, 12:26 pm

Are there any other top flight clubs that only have 2 coaches?

Glasgow have 4!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 18 Mar 2015, 12:40 pm

The Luvvies don't need any more coaches: they just need to get a Tombola.
Mind you the magic ones are few and far between.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 18 Mar 2015, 1:01 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Are there any other top flight clubs that only have 2 coaches?

Glasgow have 4!

We only needed 2 to beat them in the 1872 cup!

maybe too many cooks spoil the broth?
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 18 Mar 2015, 1:13 pm

jimbopip wrote:The Luvvies don't need any more coaches: they just need to get a Tombola.
Mind you the magic ones are few and far between.

I fear a tombola would be a terrible call for Edinburgh. At least with Glasgow there is a decent amount of good players to choose from, or more specifically very few poor players (some world class :-)). With Edinburgh a random selection could easily see a starting pairing of Strauss and Atiga. Possibly the least dynamic centre partnership known to man.

Just noticed that Atiga is actually out of contract in April (well according to Wikipedia).

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 18 Mar 2015, 1:14 pm

Atiga has been helping Hidalgo-Clyne with his goal kicking.

No joke.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Wed 18 Mar 2015, 1:37 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:I suspect that's right, and as it stands Edinburgh is pretty lean in coaching terms.

Didn't realise Berghan was SQ. If true then perhaps he should get the benefit of the doubt. We could still use another option at tighthead prop.

Whatever happened to the young tight head that came from Gala with the ginger hair...Ewan McQuillan? Did he not look quite promising last season or the end of the season before?

Nick Fraser the ex Muir prop now playing out in Australia could be worth a punt. Got pretty good reviews playing in the Australian championship and got the better of quite a few established super rugby props.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 21  Next