The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII

+49
BamBam
IanBru
InjuredYetAgain
lostinwales
TJ
Mad for Chelsea
Notch
Tattie Scones RRN
Jenifer McLadyboy
sensisball
Heuer27
demosthenes
madmaccas
luvtotup
Anglobraveheart
CraigS1874
SirBurger
21st Century Schizoid Man
highland_scot
nickj
Scottish White Line Fever
cakeordeath
IrnBroon
JonnyEdinburgh
Totalflanker
VinceWLB
Second Ranker
RuggerRadge2611
Weegie Wizard
Manky-Flanker
des
Majestic83
TheMildlyFranticLlama
Imperialbigdave
A Simply Mesmeric Try
justified sinner
cp10
MacKnocked-on
Nematode
jimbopip
EWT Spoons
GLove39
R!skysports
tigertattie
BigGee
WhiskyBluff
funnyExiledScot
RDW
George Carlin
53 posters

Page 3 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12 ... 21  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII  - Page 3 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII

Post by George Carlin Mon 02 Mar 2015, 8:54 am

First topic message reminder :

Ye Olde Banter:
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII  - Page 3 Moreca10
https://www.606v2.com/t48240-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread
https://www.606v2.com/t51313-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-ii
https://www.606v2.com/t53119-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-iii
https://www.606v2.com/t54519-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-iv
https://www.606v2.com/t55409-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-v-the-fun-continues
https://www.606v2.com/t56913p950-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-vi-banter-boogaloo

A. Edinburgh
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII  - Page 3 Gryffi10   

1. League Results

Fri 5 Sep: Munster Rugby 13 - 14 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 12 Sep: Edinburgh Rugby 13 - 14 Connacht Rugby

Sun 21 Sep: Ospreys 62 - 13 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 26 Sep: Edinburgh Rugby 20 - 20 Scarlets

Fri 3 Oct: Ulster Rugby 30 - 0 Edinburgh Rugby

Sat 11 Oct: Edinburgh Rugby 24 - 10 Newport Gwent Dragons

Fri 31 Oct: Leinster Rugby 33 - 8 Edinburgh Rugby

Sun 23 Nov: Edinburgh Rugby 28 - 13 Cardiff Blues

Sat 29 Nov: Zebre 18 - 10 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 19 Dec: Edinburgh Rugby 48 - 0 Benetton Treviso

Sat 27 Dec: Glasgow Warriors 16 - 6 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 2 Jan: Edinburgh Rugby - 20 - 8 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 9 Jan: Connacht Rugby 13 - 16 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 13 Feb: Edinburgh Rugby 24 - 16 Ospreys

Fri 20 Feb: Edinburgh Rugby 17 - 20 Ulster Rugby

Sun 1 Mar: Cardiff Blues 21 - 15 Edinburgh Rugby

2. European Results

17/10/14: Bordeaux-Begles 13 - 15 Edinburgh Rugby

24/10/14: Edinburgh Rugby 25 - 17 Lyon

7/12/14: Edinburgh Rugby 25 - 13 London Welsh

14/12/14: London Welsh 6 - 24 Edinburgh Rugby

17/01/2015: Lyon 21 - 19 Edinburgh Rugby

23/01/2015: Edinburgh Rugby 38 - 20 Bordeaux-Begles

B. Glasgow
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII  - Page 3 Slythe10

1. League Results

Sat 6 Sep: Glasgow Warriors 22 - 20 Leinster Rugby

Sun 14 Sep: Cardiff Blues 12 - 33 Glasgow Warriors

Sat 20 Sep: Newport Gwent Dragons 13 - 33 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 26 Sep: Glasgow Warriors 39 - 21 Connacht Rugby

Sun 5 Oct: Benetton Treviso 23 - 40 Glasgow Warriors

Sat 11 Oct: Ulster Rugby 29 - 9 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 31 Oct: Glasgow Warriors 17 - 9 Benetton Treviso

Fri 21 Nov: Scarlets 19 - 9 Glasgow Warriors

Sun 30 Nov: Glasgow Warriors 19 - 15 Newport Gwent Dragons

Sat 20 Dec: Glasgow Warriors 21 - 18 Munster Rugby

Sat 27 Dec: Glasgow Warriors 16 - 6 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 2 Jan: Edinburgh Rugby 20 - 8 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 9 Jan: Glasgow Warriors 22 - 7 Scarlets

Sun 15 Feb: Zebre 10 - 54 Glasgow Warriors

Sat 21 Feb: Glasgow Warriors 19 - 16 Ospreys

Sat 28 Feb: Munster Rugby 22 - 10 Glasgow Warriors

2. European Results

18/10/14: Glasgow Warriors 37 - 10 Bath Rugby

25/10/14: Montpellier 13 - 15 Glasgow Warriors

7/12/14: Toulouse 19 - 11 Glasgow Warriors

13/12/14: Glasgow Warriors 9 - 12 Toulouse

18/01/2015: Glasgow Warriors 21 - 10 Montpellier

25/01/2015: Bath Rugby 20 - 15 Glasgow Warriors
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII  - Page 3 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 13 Mar 2015, 9:37 am

George Carlin wrote:FES - you clearly missed a great opportunity to scar your daughter for life when choosing her name this year...

Absolutely! These lists just show how badly wrong some parents can go.

Luckily we played it safe with Esmeralda.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII  - Page 3 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII

Post by tigertattie Fri 13 Mar 2015, 9:47 am

Some parents really are sick!

Calling your kid "hiya"

thats just messed up! Imagine the poor kid walking into a social function where everyone is saying "hiya" to everyone else!!!

The poor bairn is going to explode "Why the feck do you lot keep calling on me but then ignore me??????????"
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 13 Mar 2015, 9:57 am

Mrs Pip taught in a school in east London where there was a family with the surname Major. Several of the kids had been through and they all had "humorous" first names but the lad in Mrs Pip's class took the prize: they called him Major Major. They should have been shot.

On a different note; last night I helped out at young Pipetto's training. Great fun , playing touch with the youngsters (but not in a Jimmy Saville way) on hard ground after not running for the last three weeks! I got out of bed and one Achilles tendon was so tight I could barely put weight on that heel. Then it struck me: how the fecc is young Alex Dunbar feeling this morning? He must be distraught. As Gibson would say , let's all send the positive vibes and good lovingness his way. You know it'll make a difference.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 13 Mar 2015, 10:06 am

jimbopip wrote:Mrs Pip taught in a school in east London where there was a family with the surname Major. Several of the kids had been through and they all had "humorous" first names but the lad in Mrs Pip's class took the prize: they called him Major Major. They should have been shot.

One of the great literary characters from possibly my favourite novel of all time, although I believe his full name is actually Major Major Major Major.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Fri 13 Mar 2015, 10:30 am

Almost certainly an urban myth but was there not talk a few years ago of twins in a possibly less salubrious part of Scotland being given the names Armani and Versace McClatchy?

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Fri 13 Mar 2015, 10:35 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
jimbopip wrote:Mrs Pip taught in a school in east London where there was a family with the surname Major. Several of the kids had been through and they all had "humorous" first names but the lad in Mrs Pip's class took the prize: they called him Major Major. They should have been shot.

One of the great literary characters from possibly my favourite novel of all time, although I believe his full name is actually Major Major Major Major.

There was an old gent who lived in the village I grew up in whose name was Alexander Alexander, he was known locally by all as 'Double Sandy' which always amused me.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by JonnyEdinburgh Fri 13 Mar 2015, 10:57 am

Some crackers here. My great uncle was called Alec Ness. I can't believe his parents never considered that he would get formally addressed as "Mr A.Ness". Not sure if there was a Peter in that branch of the family!

JonnyEdinburgh

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 13 Mar 2015, 11:10 am

We had an old school art teacher at school who always called students by their surnames, without exception. He had done for the best part of 30 years. That is until a pretty hot girl arrived at the school with the surname: Bonar. He used her first name.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 13 Mar 2015, 11:28 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:

I did raise this possibility with Mrs Pip but as his brother was called Sergeant she didn't think the parents were Joseph Heller fans. Oh yes and they had an Alsatian called General who outranked all the kids.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 13 Mar 2015, 12:13 pm

jimbopip wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

I did raise this possibility with Mrs Pip but as his brother was called Sergeant she didn't think the parents were Joseph Heller fans. Oh yes and they had an Alsatian called General who outranked all the kids.

We had a dog in our pub back home called Milo after Milo Minderbinder. Another great if horrific character!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 13 Mar 2015, 12:28 pm

Nothing wrong with Milo: he could buy Egyptian cotton at $20, sell it for $18 and still make a $2 profit.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 13 Mar 2015, 12:32 pm

Gary and Phillip Neville's dad - Neville Neville

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 13 Mar 2015, 12:58 pm

Aye you get some right stoaters!

Masterminds own Magnus Magnusson was always a funny one!

An old boy round the corner from me was called Richard Head! - Cruely, or accidentally, his friends called him Dick for short!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 13 Mar 2015, 2:00 pm

jimbopip wrote:Nothing wrong with Milo: he could buy Egyptian cotton at $20, sell it for $18 and still make a $2 profit.

Is there any other kind? Wink

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by IrnBroon Mon 16 Mar 2015, 8:34 am

Richie Gray sat with Gregor Townsend in row just behind us at Twickenham on Saturday. Heading back to Glasgow??

IrnBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 16 Mar 2015, 8:45 am

IrnBroon wrote:Richie Gray sat with Gregor Townsend in row just behind us at Twickenham on Saturday.  Heading back to Glasgow??

If his agent is earning his money, then he will certainly be putting out some feelers as Castres seem destined to go down. Can we afford him I guess would be the question, he will be on some serious money now.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiskyBluff Mon 16 Mar 2015, 8:46 am

My girlfriend is friends with a finnish girl at uni called Camilla Horniman. Whenever she tries to book a table for dinner she has to use a different name as she keeps getting told they dont appreciate prank calls. Poor girl.
WhiskyBluff
WhiskyBluff

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 16 Mar 2015, 9:55 am

IrnBroon wrote:Richie Gray sat with Gregor Townsend in row just behind us at Twickenham on Saturday.  Heading back to Glasgow??
Didn't you ask?
Since Toonie is just back from a visit to Barcelona FC I wonder how his mind coped with holding the images of Leo Messi and Richie Gray in such close juxtaposition. Shocked

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Mon 16 Mar 2015, 10:42 am

I've heard that rumour that Glasgow are in talks with Richie Gray. Would be a good signing for both parties. I think why Richie hasn't developed quite as much as we thought he might is because he has moved about clubs and hasn't settled so would be good for him to head back home to familiar surroundings.
Normally I am all for players going overseas to play rugby and develop but don't think its worked for Richie.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 16 Mar 2015, 10:54 am

Majestic83 wrote:

I've heard that rumour that Glasgow are in talks with Richie Gray. Would be a good signing for both parties. I think why Richie hasn't developed quite as much as we thought he might is because he has moved about clubs and hasn't settled so would be good for him to head back home to familiar surroundings.
Normally I am all for players going overseas to play rugby and develop but don't think its worked for Richie.
Obviously, we do not know what his options were but Sale and then Castres were two poor choices in a row.

When you're still quite young in the game, it helps to go to a settled set up and a well established team and neither of those club offered that.

I would be glad to see Gray and Gray back, if only because with HM Ruck Inspectorate and Ryder leaving, the boiler room is looking a little light.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 16 Mar 2015, 12:24 pm

Word on the street is that Edinburgh and Glasgow have agreed to leave Alex Toolis with Glasgow and as a trade, Edinburgh are getting first dibs on Ritchie  Gray!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 16 Mar 2015, 12:29 pm

tigertattie wrote:Word on the street is that Edinburgh and Glasgow have agreed to leave Alex Toolis with Glasgow and as a trade, Edinburgh are getting first dibs on Ritchie  Gray!
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII  - Page 3 Cant_b10
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 16 Mar 2015, 12:49 pm

George Carlin wrote:
tigertattie wrote:Word on the street is that Edinburgh and Glasgow have agreed to leave Alex Toolis with Glasgow and as a trade, Edinburgh are getting first dibs on Ritchie  Gray!
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII  - Page 3 Cant_b10

Oh, and you've to keep Lee Jones!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 16 Mar 2015, 12:54 pm

George Carlin wrote:
Majestic83 wrote:

Obviously, we do not know what his options were but Sale and then Castres were two poor choices in a row.

When you're still quite young in the game, it helps to go to a settled set up and a well established team and neither of those club offered that.

I would be glad to see Gray and Gray back, if only because with HM Ruck Inspectorate and Ryder leaving, the boiler room is looking a little light.

Sale was certainly a surprising and poor choice, I can only imagine it was being talked up as a club of the future and it certainly did seem to have some strong Scottish connections at the time, not least the owner and coach. Castres were the champions when he went there though and came second in his first year there. The way they have nose dived this year seem inexplicable.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 16 Mar 2015, 1:26 pm

Sale was a dreadful choice for Richie Gray, we all said it at the time. A return to Glasgow would make plenty sense for all concerned.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 16 Mar 2015, 3:49 pm

Just seen that young Sandy Lyle has been called into the Sevens squad Shocked
Obviously, Glasgow have dozens of fit 12's to choose from as we go into the final stages of the league. picard
p.s. just to be clear I think Matt Scott 12when fit is an outstanding player, but Englands first try came down his channel and their second also came down the 12 channel but I wouldn't expect Tonks to be up to speed in that position. A fit Alex Dunbar would have meant a very different result.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 16 Mar 2015, 4:16 pm

jimbopip wrote:Just seen that young Sandy Lyle has been called into the Sevens squad Shocked
Obviously, Glasgow have dozens of fit 12's to choose from as we go into the final stages of the league. picard
p.s. just to be clear I think Matt Scott 12when fit is an outstanding player, but Englands first try came down his channel and their second also came down the 12 channel but I wouldn't expect Tonks to be up to speed in that position. A fit Alex Dunbar would have meant a very different result.

Mike Blair in his BBC article had the second try down to Rob Harley staying out on his man when he had Euan Murray inside, a classic miss match, I imagine Tonks had been swallowed up in the ruck. The first one was definitely down to Matt Scott. I am not sure it is about fitness now, probably more due to the late call up and less familiarity with the system and Mark Bennett.

It is a massive advantage to have two club centres playing side by side, especially when they have the same defence coach.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 16 Mar 2015, 5:58 pm

jimbopip wrote:Just seen that young Sandy Lyle has been called into the Sevens squad Shocked

I hope you mean that particular defensive outcome, rather than the overall result!! Dunbar is very good, but not superman.

With Dunbar injured, Scott is the best 12 we have. He had a decent game against Treviso but England were a different prospect altogether, particularly with Ford at 10 pulling the strings. We just need Scott to get back up to speed at 12, and that means starting against Henshaw on Saturday and convincing Solomons to use him at 12 between now and the end of the season. I think Cotter also needs to take a close look at Duncan Taylor between now and the end of the season.

Crackers to allow Lyle to attend the 7s.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 16 Mar 2015, 6:15 pm

Worth noting that Glasgow have Leinster after the Ireland game, then a week off due to Euro quarters.

I suspect we'll see most the Glasgow players back for that game given they have a rest week after.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 16 Mar 2015, 7:03 pm

I think what Matt Scott needs is just a run of games, he has had a wretched time with injury, last sat being no exception, he can't seem to string more than two games together without going down. I am not particularly fussed whether it is at 12 or 13, he just needs to play, his confidence must be in shreds.

Lets not forget that he was the best thing since sliced bread coming into the Scotland team over the past few years. Form is temporary, class is permanent and all that. I wonder when he got the injury in the game, other than the missed tackle he play ok while he was on.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 16 Mar 2015, 7:05 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:

I hope you mean that particular defensive outcome, rather than the overall result!! Dunbar is very good, but not superman.

With Dunbar injured, Scott is the best 12 we have. He had a decent game against Treviso but England were a different prospect altogether, particularly with Ford at 10 pulling the strings. We just need Scott to get back up to speed at 12, and that means starting against Henshaw on Saturday and convincing Solomons to use him at 12 between now and the end of the season. I think Cotter also needs to take a close look at Duncan Taylor between now and the end of the season.

Crackers to allow Lyle to attend the 7s.

Duncan Taylor seems to be still out injured with a torn hammy, it really has not gone to well for us on the injury front this year.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 16 Mar 2015, 7:30 pm

BigGee wrote:I think what Matt Scott needs is just a run of games, he has had a wretched time with injury, last sat being no exception, he can't seem to string more than two games together without going down. I am not particularly fussed whether it is at 12 or 13, he just needs to play, his confidence must be in shreds.

Lets not forget that he was the best thing since sliced bread coming into the Scotland team over the past few years. Form is temporary, class is permanent and all that. I wonder when he got the injury in the game, other than the missed tackle he play ok while he was on.

Totally agree with you there Gee. BUT angel is looking like taking up residence at no 13 and Dunbar has been outstanding this season. I'll disagree with FES (just for a change) Dunbar would have defended better, I think Scott is still slightly off the pace and our midfield defence was unbelievably porous. Dunbar would have won turnovers or penalties in the tackle. Let's not forget we were only trailing by seven after 73 minutes. With either Alex Dunbar or a fully fit and up to speed Matt Scott 12 at 12 it would have been a very different game.
Where Matt Scott 12 really struggles to get into the side is the fact that Dunbar can play either 12 or 13 better than him and angel plays 13 better than anyone since Mike Gibson. At least so Asbo keeps telling anyone who will listen.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 16 Mar 2015, 7:40 pm

To some extent the Dunbar v Scott argument is academic as I can't see Dunbar being back for the WC. Best case scenario is end of sept and that is without being match fit!

The worry really is alternatives if we take any more centre injuries. I am actually a Duncan Taylor fan and think he would have got some game time this 6N had he not been injured. Hopefully he will be back as well and Horne will be in the mix as well now. We begin to drop off quite dramatically after that though!

Hope you enjoyed the day at Twickers Jimbo, I had a fantastic day, despite the result!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 16 Mar 2015, 7:50 pm

Like you I would take a punt on Taylor: he's a big lad and he plays regularly for Sarries. Just like Kellybrows. Doh

However, I think he is a 13 so he could be second choice behind Bennett, or third behind Scott(12). You are probably correct that Dunbar will miss out which will probably mean Scott (12) and a 10/12 type player such as Horne or Jackson or Meatball in the squad. Tonks was very unlucky in that with Scott off the pace Scotland still put together an excellent second twenty and then with Tonks at 12 scored nul points in the second half.

Yes Gee, a jolly time was had by all. Twickers will never be my favourite day out; Caaahdiff and Luvvietown are much more fun but it was a Six Nations match with old friends so how bad could it be?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Tue 17 Mar 2015, 7:31 am

Glasgow have some news about a signing this morning. Probably someone renewing a contract or equally underwhelming

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 17 Mar 2015, 7:44 am

I hear Ben Atiga is looking for a new challenge... Whistle

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 17 Mar 2015, 8:11 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:I hear Ben Atiga is looking for a new challenge... Whistle

Weightwatchers? Whistle

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 17 Mar 2015, 8:21 am

cakeordeath wrote:Glasgow have some news about a signing this morning. Probably someone renewing a contract or equally underwhelming
I expect they've given Kellock a new 9 year contract or appointed Dan Parks as Director of Sideburns.

But seriously, I imagine that it might be Toolis/Gray related.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 17 Mar 2015, 8:23 am

Increasingly deafening reports that Visser to Harlequins is now a done deal:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-2998045/Harlequins-set-complete-deal-Scotland-Edinburgh-winger-Tim-Visser.html
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 17 Mar 2015, 8:28 am

George Carlin wrote:Increasingly deafening reports that Visser to Harlequins is now a done deal:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-2998045/Harlequins-set-complete-deal-Scotland-Edinburgh-winger-Tim-Visser.html

Good move for both Visser and Edinburgh I think - it is a good club for him to go to, and he's not been on form for Edinburgh for a while now.

Again not helped by Solomons' tactics, but he'll be one of the top wage earners in the club.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 17 Mar 2015, 8:33 am

An 'update' on the massive Fijian situation:

Edinburgh evening news wrote: Scottish Rugby will be investing heavily in raw potential if an anticipated deal to bring uncapped Fijian winger Taqele Naiyaravoro to BT Murrayfield and qualify him to wear the thistle under a three year residency rule materialises, it was claimed today.

According to reports the 19st and 6ft 5in powerhouse is ready to quit New South Wales Waratahs at the end of the Super 15 season and join Edinburgh for an annual salary of £175,000 – except that a crucial contract clause states that any deal would be nullified if the Wallabies step in and cap him first.

One ex-Edinburgh District representative who has seen Naiyaravoro in action says time is on the ex-rugby league player’s side and, eventually, he will become a notable asset.

Said Campbell Aitken, a full back for Heriot’s and Boroughmuir in the 1990s but now the New South Wales under-16’s coach after emigrating: “He is far from the finished article and did well in the second tier of rugby league when perhaps you don’t need to make as many decisions as a winger when compared to rugby union.

“He certainly has the size to make an impact but lacks the rugby intuition at the moment to make the kind of statement that perhaps is unfairly expected of him. Due to his size, people expect him to run over people and score every time he touches the ball, which perhaps leads to unfair criticism.

“On the plus side, he is young and will learn quickly.

“Playing in a team that gives him plenty of ball in plenty of space then you would probably see the best of him.”

That last remark suggests the wide open spaces of BT Murrayfield could be ideal for 23-year-old Naiyaravoro to develop his skills and he could prove a fitting replacement for Tim Visser if, as expected, the out-of-contract Scotland winger moves to the English Premiership.

As for becoming one of the SRU’s so-called “project” signings Naiyaravoro knows he already has options elsewhere while keeping cards close to his chest at this stage.

Asked recently about whether he would prefer to turn out for either Australia or Fiji in this year’s World Cup, he said: “I haven’t paid much attention to playing international footy, but when the time comes I’ll make a choice.”

Last month the Fiji Times claimed a move to Scotland was close to a “done deal”.

Despite being effectively a rugby union rookie, Naiyaravoro’s size has seen him compared to one of the game’s all-time greats, Jonah Lomu, and Murrayfield bosses have talked repeatedly about the global marketplace in attempting to justify scouring the globe for individuals whom they seek to make “Scots” on a technicality.

That's a big salary if true!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 17 Mar 2015, 8:53 am

So Visser is leaving because he's not helped by Solomons' tactics to be replaced by someone who needs to be “Playing in a team that gives him plenty of ball in plenty of space then you would probably see the best of him.”.
Is it me?
Here's hoping that even as we speak Scotstoun is ringing with choruses of
"He's coming home, he's coming home...Richie's coming home"
Now that would be a sensible signing.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 17 Mar 2015, 9:57 am

With the WC coming up, should the SRU be marching up to Solomons and demanding that he play matt Scott at 12?
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Tue 17 Mar 2015, 10:13 am

tigertattie wrote:With the WC coming up, should the SRU be marching up to Solomons and demanding that he play matt Scott at 12?

Quite simply yes they should. If they were in a similar position to Glasgow and chasing for the top spot and play offs then I would leave well alone but the position Edinburgh are in then I would be asking Scott to be played at 12. Burleigh has played a lot of rugby at 13 so they can easily switch positions.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Tue 17 Mar 2015, 10:27 am

Warriors just tweeted that this is a new signing. Their second one apparently. Have I had a brain fart and forgotten who the first new signing was?

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Tue 17 Mar 2015, 10:30 am

Favaro the Italian openside has signed for next season already.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Tue 17 Mar 2015, 10:39 am

Majestic83 wrote:Favaro the Italian openside has signed for next season already.

Oh yeah kiss

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 17 Mar 2015, 10:50 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:An 'update' on the massive Fijian situation:

Edinburgh evening news wrote: Scottish Rugby will be investing heavily in raw potential if an anticipated deal to bring uncapped Fijian winger Taqele Naiyaravoro to BT Murrayfield and qualify him to wear the thistle under a three year residency rule materialises, it was claimed today.

According to reports the 19st and 6ft 5in powerhouse is ready to quit New South Wales Waratahs at the end of the Super 15 season and join Edinburgh for an annual salary of £175,000 – except that a crucial contract clause states that any deal would be nullified if the Wallabies step in and cap him first.

That's a big salary if true!

You'd think, but given my recent house hunting experiences in Edinburgh it seems that is chickenfeed around these parts. I used to think I earned a decent enough salary until I tried to buy a house in Edinburgh!!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Tue 17 Mar 2015, 11:00 am

What. We are getting Grayson Hart. That's even more underwhelming than a re-signing

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Tue 17 Mar 2015, 11:01 am

well Glasgow's big signing is Grayson Hart. Leaving Edinburgh at the end of the season and travelling west!

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12 ... 21  Next