The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 'JIFFY' award for totally biased commentary goes to.....

+10
Standulstermen
Notch
SecretFly
Pot Hale
2ndtimeround
Rory_Gallagher
LeinsterFan4life
cakeordeath
ScarletSpiderman
PenfroPete
14 posters

Go down

The 'JIFFY' award for totally biased commentary goes to..... Empty The 'JIFFY' award for totally biased commentary goes to.....

Post by PenfroPete Fri 27 Feb - 20:49

BBC2 Northern Ireland !!
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

The 'JIFFY' award for totally biased commentary goes to..... Empty Re: The 'JIFFY' award for totally biased commentary goes to.....

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 27 Feb - 21:23

Ooohhh you can't say things like that. Anyway, to be fair it's BBC NI so it should be a bit one eyed, the same as S4C should, if not BBC NI should be more one eyed as their target audience are Ulster fans and potential Ulster fans.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

The 'JIFFY' award for totally biased commentary goes to..... Empty Re: The 'JIFFY' award for totally biased commentary goes to.....

Post by cakeordeath Fri 27 Feb - 21:26

It couldn't have been any worse than what I heard of the commentary for the Ireland vs England U20 game

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Fri 27 Feb - 21:29

Have you ever watched a CC game on BT?

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 27 Feb - 21:29

To be fair there were a few dubious decisions that went against Ulster in that game, and I don't think Neilly was too impressed with them.

ScarletsSpiderman - you are coming across as extremely bitter towards Ulster/Ireland these days. Quite a change in character, I must say. I hope you can get over it, you are a good poster usually. thumbsup

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by 2ndtimeround Fri 27 Feb - 21:33

Was a bit one sided but at least they talked about the teams that where actually playing unlike the English commentary on S4C where they spend most the game talking sh1t about anything other than the game.

2ndtimeround

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Fri 27 Feb - 21:34

Rory_Gallagher wrote:

ScarletsSpiderman - you are coming across as extremely bitter towards Ulster/Ireland these days. Quite a change in character, I must say. I hope you can get over it, you are a good poster usually. thumbsup

I thought his observation about BBC NI commentary being somewhat biased towards the home team was spot on - it is.  Understandably.   As is RTE.  As is BBC Wales, S4C, BBC alba, BT sport, etc, etc.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 27 Feb - 21:39

Rory_Gallagher wrote:To be fair there were a few dubious decisions that went against Ulster in that game, and I don't think Neilly was too impressed with them.

I don't think his post on this page is bitter really. It just says that all regional coverage is a bit biased.  Headscratch

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Fri 27 Feb - 21:45

The lack of understanding of the laws was incredible. Yess, the Nick Williams 'clear out' has not been penalised a lot, but by laws it was illegal. Credit to the IRFU assistant and to Ben Whitehouse for reviewing OK
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 27 Feb - 21:56

Rory, not sure what I said wrong. I defended the commentary team, and even explained that if anything they should be bias. I expect a bit of bias towards the target audience, hence I expect BBCNI to be bias towards Ulster as I wxpect S4C to be bias to the Welsh.

I'm not sure what I said wrong, but hey-ho if you wish take it as a slur then feel free.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 27 Feb - 21:59

I know it's all fun and games, and admittedly most of it keeps this place alive.........................just about........................ but sometimes even I begin to want to tear my hair out of my head.

Will you guys ever just watch the f**king rugby please!!!!

If it's not the Ref making biased decisions,
it's a TMO giving judgements on things he shouldn't be allowed give judgements on,
it's fans booing too much,
or being smarmy bastards for pretending they don't boo  (oh we know yous do you Irish eejits!!  Yes, it's you we mean!!)
or commentators having no 'Nollidge' and Pundits having too few details or too much blonde bimbo hair or............................

Just watch the game, for Christ's sake.... and then have a quiet beer of happiness or a miserable one of total grief. Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 27 Feb - 22:27

BBC NI are biased. But I like Jim Neilly- it's that eejit Ryan Constable who is the worst of it. Neilly may be biased towards Ulster a bit but he's fair in that he will criticise bad play from Ulster and applaud good play from the opposition. He's a gentleman.

Constable though, he's ridiculous. He's the agent of half the Ulster players for goodness sake. Impartial observer? No chance. Never criticises Ulster even when they are at their most wretched. Doesn't even mention the opposition. Just uses the 80 mins to talk up the players he represents. Complete BS the BBC pay him to commentate when there is such a big conflict of interest.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri 27 Feb - 22:36

Yep, love big Jim. He's an institution. Constable can do one.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 27 Feb - 22:37

He gets a bit of stick for getting names wrong and stuff. Well he constantly gets the names of Ulster players wrong too.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Fri 27 Feb - 22:45

Newsflash all commentators are biased depending on where they are from etc etc even if they don't want to admit it.
I like Jim as a commentator yes he's biased, yes he gets names wrong and stuff but it's kinda part of the charm lol Constable's an idiot though as Notch says he reps half the team don't know why he's even there, maybe he's cheap?

neilthom7

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri 27 Feb - 22:51

Paddy Wallace has started an agency hasn't he? Is he still punditing?

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Fri 27 Feb - 22:54

Paddy still pundits here and there for SKY and BBC the problem I have with constable is that he is not just a pundit but on the commentary team most of the time and it's always on Ulster and there is no reason he couldn't do both but Constable is so biased it's a joke

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 27 Feb - 23:00

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Rory, not sure what I said wrong.  I defended the commentary team, and even explained that if anything they should be bias.  I expect a bit of bias towards the target audience, hence I expect BBCNI to be bias towards Ulster as I wxpect S4C to be bias to the Welsh.

I'm not sure what I said wrong, but hey-ho if you wish take it as a slur then feel free.

You didn't say anything wrong, it was just an observation over the past few days. I thought it was a continuation with the "you can't say that" comment, it just all seemed a bit out of character. Anyway, what I said was intended to be a light hearted and not taken seriously, but indeed I have failed miserably (with my comment reported, bizarrely). Apologies. Hug

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 27 Feb - 23:03

PenfroPete wrote:The lack of understanding of the laws was incredible. Yess, the Nick Williams 'clear out' has not been penalised a lot, but by laws it was illegal. Credit to the IRFU assistant and to Ben Whitehouse for reviewing  OK

Yeah, Neilly was wrong to be upset with that penalty (a yellow would have been very harsh though) but the same thing happened later on in the game to Clive Ross (possibly in the last passage of play leading up to the Scarlets try).

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Sat 28 Feb - 7:30

All local tv broadcasters are naturally biased - Gusher is one of the lesser biased ones. I often watch a game live on one channel and record it on another to watch later to get both sets of commentaries. My litmus test for biased commentary is how many times they question the referee, which is mostly done by the pundit rather than the main commentator. Gusher normally tries to praise the ref if he can.

The Scots esp. John Beattie is probably top of the one-eyed poll, but Stuart Davies and Gwyn Jones aren't far behind. Jiffy is well down the list and is less biased covering Tests than the regions. I agree with Notch about Constable, but I'd still rather have him than McWhirter or Field.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Sat 28 Feb - 11:23

The good news is I had a word with the production staff so the next time we get Ulster on Sky we won't have McCormish said constantly when there is no R in his name lol Mind you I hope the next time we see Ulster on Sky we don't hear McCormish or McComish being mentioned

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Sat 28 Feb - 11:29

Keeping the Worst theme going, BBC write up on the game said Kevin Phillips scored the final try of the game.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 28 Feb - 11:37

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Keeping the Worst theme going, BBC write up on the game said Kevin Phillips scored the final try of the game.

The 'JIFFY' award for totally biased commentary goes to..... Kevin-Phillips_3076604
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Sat 28 Feb - 12:08

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Keeping the Worst theme going, BBC write up on the game said Kevin Phillips scored the final try of the game.

You know I was watching last night and I didn't see that mate, I mean I'm not the most observant of people but I think I would have noticed if Kevin Phillips had of scored that final try, that's not something you would tend to miss lol but hey if the BBC said it's true then I won't question it lol

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Sat 28 Feb - 12:51

Notch wrote:BBC NI are biased. But I like Jim Neilly- it's that eejit Ryan Constable who is the worst of it. Neilly may be biased towards Ulster a bit but he's fair in that he will criticise bad play from Ulster and applaud good play from the opposition. He's a gentleman.

Constable though, he's ridiculous. He's the agent of half the Ulster players for goodness sake. Impartial observer? No chance. Never criticises Ulster even when they are at their most wretched. Doesn't even mention the opposition. Just uses the 80 mins to talk up the players he represents. Complete BS the BBC pay him to commentate when there is such a big conflict of interest.

Could not agree more. Neilly can actually be quite comical and I see him as the Ulsters Brian Moore. Constable has no place commenting, the guy is a complete and utter *&^%$.

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 28 Feb - 12:54

No Brian Moore is the kind of guy you'd hate to be stuck in an elevator with, whereas Neilly would be a great guy to go and get a pint with.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Sat 28 Feb - 12:57

I don't know, I really like Brian Moore (hated him at first but really like him now) and think he would also be a good guy to have a pint with.

As for being stuck in an elevator. One of my worst fears, hate the damn things.

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 28 Feb - 13:28

The Great Aukster wrote:All local tv broadcasters are naturally biased - Gusher is one of the lesser biased ones. I often watch a game live on one channel and record it on another to watch later to get both sets of commentaries. My litmus test for biased commentary is how many times they question the referee, which is mostly done by the pundit rather than the main commentator. Gusher normally tries to praise the ref if he can.

The Scots esp. John Beattie is probably top of the one-eyed poll, but Stuart Davies and Gwyn Jones aren't far behind. Jiffy is well down the list and is less biased covering Tests than the regions. I agree with Notch about Constable, but I'd still rather have him than McWhirter or Field.
Can't see why anyone would have a problem with local commentators being fans and supporters of the local teams.  I prefer it, whether I am with 'em or again 'em. Almost all Rugby fans, commentators and civilians like us, all have our favourite teams. To me, it's always better to be open about that. Why not?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Sun 1 Mar - 8:58

The problem for me Dr G is that if the commentators question the referee it legitimises witch hunts by fans. In the Pro12 this is accentuated because the referees are chosen by nationality and that naturally gives ammunition to the conspiracy theorists. I don't think the Pro12 referees are any worse that those in the AP for example but the fact that a ref is from another country (or a specific one) is just another prejudiced excuse to lose objectivity on their actual performance with the whistle.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down