The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Biased British Commentary - Is it getting worse ???

+7
3fingers
Seanusarrilius
Strongback
TopHat24/7
Izzi
taguey
TRUSSMAN66
11 posters

Go down

Biased British Commentary - Is it getting worse ??? Empty Biased British Commentary - Is it getting worse ???

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 27 Jan 2014, 10:17 am

I'm sure when I first came here ....Gutteridge and Watt were biased but not to the extent Watt is now with this complete idiot he works with on SKY now........

Carpenter had his favorites but he called a slap a slap look at Honey-Starling............No "Honey's granny died and her last breath was beat Marlon Starling".....

These days you have to seem to show your love for Britain in every fight.............Spouting cringe worthy stories about the British fighter to make us weep especially If he wins..........."He's a lovely lad who's good to his Mum"...Simon cowell would be proud.

Plus other stuff like.................

Barker-Geale - "That's a disgrace Jim it was a low shot he's counting that's a 10-8 round" ........to........" Yeah it was a knockdown but we couldn't see it the referee was in our way "

and then two weeks later......................"That wasn't a knockdown ha ha ha but Luke will take it"....From the same guy.....

Remember Quigg vs Colombian ........ 5-5 in rounds ..."If the Colombian wins he won't be a world champion in my eyes"...........

We also have guys like Woodhall, Bunce etc who pick Brit fighters constantly to win fights they have no chance in.........Because it shows how much they support their Country......

Not just Boxing but remember Gabby Yorath on BBC hoping the Brits get away with cheating in the relay..."Because they work hard"...............Who remembers Cram slagging off a European athlete with ped question marks and then cheering home your WOMAN OF THE YEAR 400 star...Who accidentally missed three tests in a row......Which is a huge surprise considering it's her livelihood..........

Whilst USA isn't blameless we tend to be a bit more objective than you are........Though I like Adam Darke and Reg Gutteridge who though slightly biased weren't in overdrive...........

Over the last 20 years all sense of fairness whether it be in Soccer, Boxing, Tennis and Athletics have gone right out the window...

I never liked listening to one sided commentary back home and apart from guys Like Alex Wallau, Marv Albert and Chick Hearn occasionally stepping over the mark I never really had to.............

Time for it to stop..............

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Biased British Commentary - Is it getting worse ??? Empty Re: Biased British Commentary - Is it getting worse ???

Post by taguey Mon 27 Jan 2014, 10:46 am

Agree entirely. Whilst I feel there will always be bias from commentators to their nations own (as I think they focus a lot on what the Home fighter is doing as opposed to the away fighter etc), it really has gotten to a point where commentators are nigh on ruining the enjoyment of watching a fight.

taguey

Back to top Go down

Biased British Commentary - Is it getting worse ??? Empty Re: Biased British Commentary - Is it getting worse ???

Post by Izzi Mon 27 Jan 2014, 11:06 am

Not as bad as Lampley. Total joke. Remember someone pointing to a video on the Pacman vs Bradley fight where he counted most shots that we're missing (by a mile I might add) as legit punches.

Jim Watt does need to have an unfortunate oral accident with an electric strapon that malfunctions

Izzi

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 27 Jan 2014, 11:35 am

Jim Watt apart from his scorecards has been generally okay over the years.........

However commentating with this complete idiot that makes Bunce look objective seems to have convinced him to go native..

Lampley was out of order in Naz-Barrera.........In fairness Foreman had him on it.......Wouldn't happen here.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzi Mon 27 Jan 2014, 11:45 am

For once Truss i totally agree. Bunce is a bit of an idiot, to say the least.

Jim Watt does really grind my gears though. Been many a fight when his scoring has come in to serious question or he's championing one guys punches whilst ignoring the other guys. Hatton vs FMJ being the prime example when in truth he had won 2 rounds tops and he had it near level even with the 1 point deduction.

Izzi

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 27 Jan 2014, 11:52 am

I had Hatton levelish after six..........Knew he'd lost the fight by then........But workrate alone I gave Hatton 3/6.........

Point off probably one behind.........Deserved a point off but not for the offence that took it..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 27 Jan 2014, 12:00 pm

There's rubbish everywhere, both sides of the pond. Not sure about worse but Watt has definitely been getting on my nerves more and more and more over the last year or two, I've now got to the point where I mute any fight he's commentating on, bit like I do with an US commentary on a Floyd or Manny fight which is always equally horrendous, and just concentrate on the fight myself.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 27 Jan 2014, 12:27 pm

My only concern is how many times TRUSS is going to write a thread about this subject.

I'm pretty certain we're all singing from the same hymn sheet on this one so why the need to repeat it?

Or maybe TRUSS just likes to see occasionally a thread he's written where no-one is calling him a silly fat yank or something equally factual unpleasant

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 27 Jan 2014, 2:16 pm

American TV has always been obsessed with the emotional backstory of athletes or just about anyone who's famous.  That culture spread to Britain from the USA.  The rest of the world has Fat Yanks to thank for that.

Sky are paying Eddie Hearn a huge wedge to put on boxing shows. Sky have invested in Eddie so it's no surprise they back Matchroom fighters.  

It's the same with HBO and Showtime. How many times has Lampley been biased for a Golden Boy and now Top Rank fighter. I agree though that the Brit Rawlings is very poor, shouldn't be in the job in my view.

BTW who's Adam Darke?

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 27 Jan 2014, 2:28 pm

DAVE667 wrote:My only concern is how many times TRUSS is going to write a thread about this subject.

I'm pretty certain we're all singing from the same hymn sheet on this one so why the need to repeat it?

Or maybe TRUSS just likes to see occasionally a thread he's written where no-one is calling him a silly fat yank or something equally factual unpleasant

Why the need to comment on it..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 27 Jan 2014, 2:35 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:My only concern is how many times TRUSS is going to write a thread about this subject.

Just to let you know that whilst some on here may be impressed with you, there are others who do wish you'd focus your efforts and stop reproducing the same old guff. They say you're better than this but I do wonder sometimes.

The occasional Bradley Pryce appreciation thread wouldn't go amiss...just bear it in mind.

Cheers Rodders

Damn.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 27 Jan 2014, 2:54 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Just to let you know that whilst some on here may be impressed with you, there are others who do wish you'd focus your efforts and stop reproducing the same old guff. They say you're better than this but I do wonder sometimes.

The occasional Bradley Pryce appreciation thread wouldn't go amiss...just bear it in mind.

Cheers Rodders

Damn.

You prefer my Mayweather threads obviously...........That's given me an idea !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 27 Jan 2014, 3:26 pm

I think commentary in general is getting worse. The HBO crew are labouring and completely biased in favour of whomever they think will be next big thing.

SKY - jim Watt, say no more.

I do like Showtime. They do a great job, but in general it's frustrating.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzi Mon 27 Jan 2014, 3:32 pm

Is Teddy Atlas still commentating? Can't remember the fight but he had almost exploded when trying to explain a Majority draw rather than majority decision?

Has a passion for the sport and isn't scared to say what he thinks, which most of the time was on the money unlike that tool Lampley. Kellerman used to be good until he moved.

Izzi

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 27 Jan 2014, 3:36 pm

Lampley is a color commentator.............Atlas is an analyst.........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Mon 27 Jan 2014, 6:52 pm

I think woodhall gets a hard time on here. He's one of the most knowledgeable people in the sport. He talks alot of sense when it comes to technique, tactics and strategy.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Mon 27 Jan 2014, 6:53 pm

Same with nelson

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 27 Jan 2014, 7:23 pm

3fingers wrote:I think woodhall gets a hard time on here. He's one of the most knowledgeable people in the sport. He talks alot of sense when it comes to technique, tactics and strategy.

Fury 5-1 up against Cunningham.........Guy plays the part of flag waver and to me he's plastic..It looks like an act...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 27 Jan 2014, 7:35 pm

Dim Wattage's scorecard had Haye losing against Valuev.... methinks the problem is he's insane not patriotic

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Mon 27 Jan 2014, 7:37 pm

Your probably right truss. Personally, I try to ignore all the cow-poo they spout and just listen to the stuff I can learn from.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 27 Jan 2014, 7:37 pm

Certainly gone more patriotic with Rawling lately..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 27 Jan 2014, 7:41 pm

The BBC should ship him off to pastures new.I'd like to see a sitcom about dementia starring Duke McKenzie as Dim's carer as he bumbles through modern life.It's be bittersweet .. whenever Dim loses the plot, there's the Duke's catchphrase "You've gone, Jim,you've gone, your head's gone ".
Or even a Dave/Truss situation comedy....

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 27 Jan 2014, 7:48 pm

God help me, I just can't help but like Jim Watt when more or less nobody else does. I've got issues, it seems.

But yes, Nick Halling....Dear me. The worst was his Beltran-Burns effort as he subtly (only in his mind, though - it wasn't so subtle to anyone else) started trying to suggest that Burns had done enough to keep the title as the championship rounds wore on as Burns was trying really hard, and deserved extra margin for fighting with a broken jaw, and also because he was at home, of course. He didn't quite have the nerve to come right out and say it, but it was painful hearing him trying to find a way to argue some kind of case for Burns.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 27 Jan 2014, 8:10 pm

Halling is dreadful. I've never watched a fight he's commentating on without hitting mute.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon 27 Jan 2014, 8:16 pm

Nice original post Truss.

The commentary isn't getting worse, it's just staying at a consistently poor level. Adam Smith is just awful to watch, and how his partner Johnny Nelson manages to hold down a position despite not being able to string a sentence together is beyond me.

And don't even get me started on 'tactics corner' or whatever it's called on ringside. Awful.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Mon 27 Jan 2014, 8:27 pm

I think Jonny Nelson just has trouble reading the prompts. His eyesight may have deteriorated. He seems ok when he isnt trying to read.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzi Mon 27 Jan 2014, 9:16 pm

"God help me, I just can't help but like Jim Watt when more or less nobody else does. I've got issues, it seems."

Issues? That would insinuate you are at a prelim stage of something. I would accuse you of being way past that to the point of an apocalyptical state.

Whatever next, you think the teletubbies is a work of art only comparable to Picasso in its daringness to go against the times and what was perceived to be a la maisonettes?

Izzi

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 27 Jan 2014, 9:23 pm

88Chris05 wrote:God help me, I just can't help but like Jim Watt when more or less nobody else does. I've got issues, it seems.

I'll not leave you out there on your own Chris. I don't mind him. To be honest can tolerate most of the commentators over here with the exception of Woodhall and Bunce. Woodhall's jingoism and myopia when a Brit is fighting is ridiculous, his commentary for Hatton's comeback tipped me over the edge with him.

As for Bunce is a loudmouth blowhard. Think he annoys me more because he is a knowledgeable bloke and capable writer who has sold out by creating the character of "Buncey" to keep himself in work and now harbours under the misguided belief that how loud you say something is more important that what you say.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 27 Jan 2014, 11:41 pm

To be fair to Buncey, I wouldn't have twigged about 'the most important fight to be held in Britain' on six different occasions

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Tue 28 Jan 2014, 12:26 am

I don't mind Watt either, or mcCrory. I dislike bunce though, and the mixed race commentator who did the Olympics (the one with the light bulb head and big teeth) they're both clueless. Not that my disliking them particularly means anything of note.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down