The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Munster Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 28 February

+28
LeinsterFan4life
Pot Hale
cakeordeath
tigertattie
ME-109
toml
Totalflanker
MunsterMac
Sin é
cp10
21st Century Schizoid Man
EST
R!skysports
Tattie Scones RRN
Nachos Jones
wayne
demosthenes
BigGee
Nematode
SecretFly
Weegie Wizard
IanBru
funnyExiledScot
VinceWLB
jimbopip
RDW
George Carlin
32 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Munster Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 28 February - Page 2 Empty Munster Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 28 February

Post by George Carlin Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:20 am

First topic message reminder :

Munster Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 28 February - Page 2 Munste10                    Munster Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 28 February - Page 2 Glasgo13
Munster Rugby v Glasgow Warriors
Saturday 28 February 2015
KO 19:15
Irish Independent Park, Cork

Referee: Nigel Owens (118th competition game)Munster Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 28 February - Page 2 Worshi10
Assistant Referees: Mark Patton, John Carvill (both IRFU)
Citing Commissioner: Peter Ferguson (IRFU)
TMO: Dermot Moloney (IRFU)

Live on Sky Sports

A. Teams:

Munster Rugby
Munster Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 28 February - Page 2 Richar10
[tbc]

Glasgow Warriors
Munster Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 28 February - Page 2 Rob_ca10
[tbc]

B. Form - head to head:

24 Played 24
14 Wins 9
9 Losses 14
1 Draws 1
59 Tries 45
41 Conversions 32
54 Penalties 63
1 Drop Goals 1
542 Points 481
26 Avg. Age 25

C. Form:

Sat 20 December 2014
Glasgow Warriors 21 - 18 Munster Rugby

Fri 16 May 2014
Glasgow Warriors 16 - 15 Munster Rugby

Sat 12 April 2014
Munster Rugby 5 - 22 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 25 October 2013
Glasgow Warriors 6 - 13 Munster Rugby

Last edited by George Carlin on Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:18 pm; edited 3 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Munster Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 28 February - Page 2 Empty Re: Munster Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 28 February

Post by IanBru Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:35 pm

jimbopip wrote:I won't be answering the phone for the next 24 hours: I can't play second row.
I can play second row, but only if every other player is twelve years old.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Munster Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 28 February - Page 2 Empty Re: Munster Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 28 February

Post by demosthenes Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:44 pm

Weegie Wizard wrote:Well last week we had (I think) 22 players out and squad was:

Peter Murchie, Niko Matawalu, Richie Vernon, Fraser Lyle, DTH van der Merwe, Peter Horne, Ali Price,
Ryan Grant, Pat MacArthur, Rossouw de Klerk, Leone Nakarawa, Al Kellock, James Eddie, Tyrone Holmes, Josh Strauss
Replacements: Kevin Bryce, Alex Allan, Zander Fagerson, Fraser McKenzie, Will Bordill, Connor Braid, Rory Hughes, Glenn Bryce

From that list we are now missing Horne, Grant, Leone and Sherlock making 26 absentees. We also no longer have McKenzie but Toolis will swap in for him.

Jerry and Spinks may bench in place of Grant and Holmes but we are seriously short in the 2nd row and midfield. I suspect Braid will start but no clue who will be on the bench.

Who is left?

Might we get Ashe back, and Maitland, both for a half off the bench?

demosthenes

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:50 pm

I used to play second row for my school 3rd XV. What I lacked in courage and skill I made up for enthusiasm.

Still, even if I were a hybrid of Victor Matfield and Martin Johnson, I still wouldn't play for the Great Unwashed!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:08 pm

Have to say I am getting impressed with Mr Vernon......

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:16 pm

Tyrone Holmes ruled out for 2 months

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:30 pm

At this rate Lee Jones will be playing in the second-row and Gregor Townsend coming out of retirement.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:33 pm

If Glasgow win this, it has to go down as one of the clubs best ever victories. I would be happy with a point at this stage.

Here is my stab at a team:

Allan
McArthur
Cusak
Kellock
Toolis
Eddie
Bordill
Strauss
Price
DTH
Braid
Lyle
Vernon
Jones
Murchie

Jerry
K. Bryce
De Klerk
Ashe
Spinks
Niko
Hughes
G. Bryce

Big concern over 10 and 2nd row, Eddie or Strauss are going to have to do a shift if either Kellock or Toolis break down.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:50 pm

EST wrote:If Glasgow win this, it has to go down as one of the clubs best ever victories.  I would be happy with a point at this stage.

Allan
McArthur
Cusak
Kellock
Toolis
Eddie
Bordill
Strauss
Price
DTH
Braid
Lyle
Vernon
Jones
Murchie

Jerry
K. Bryce
De Klerk
Ashe
Spinks
Niko
Hughes
G. Bryce

Big concern over 10 and 2nd row, Eddie or Strauss are going to have to do a shift if either Kellock or Toolis break down.

Niko won't be on the bench probably will start on the wing again if Henry is not fit. Lee Jones was not fit last week and to be honest our backs did fine. Ali price is coming along very nicely and this will be another good test for him, he will be in the SH mix next year for sure. Our weak link is definitely FH. I base that on not really knowing what Braid is capable of. I would be very happy if he proves me wrong and has a stormer.

Our pack is actually not that bad considering the players that are not available. I guess we will see if some of the kids have what it takes or not to be professional rugby players. I am actually quite looking forward to seeing that, maybe we will be pleasantly surprised!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:01 pm

BigGee wrote:
EST wrote:If Glasgow win this, it has to go down as one of the clubs best ever victories.  I would be happy with a point at this stage.

Allan
McArthur
Cusak
Kellock
Toolis
Eddie
Bordill
Strauss
Price
DTH
Braid
Lyle
Vernon
Jones
Murchie

Jerry
K. Bryce
De Klerk
Ashe
Spinks
Niko
Hughes
G. Bryce

Niko won't be on the bench probably will start on the wing again if Henry is not fit. Lee Jones was not fit last week and to be honest our backs did fine. Ali price is coming along very nicely and this will be another good test for him, he will be in the SH mix next year for sure. Our weak link is definitely FH. I base that on not really knowing what Braid is capable of. I would be very happy if he proves me wrong and has a stormer.

Our pack is actually not that bad considering the players that are not available. I guess we will see if some of the kids have what it takes or not to be professional rugby players. I am actually quite looking forward to seeing that, maybe we will be pleasantly surprised!

Ah, I didn't realise the Selkirk pixie was injured. Regading Niko, I fully expect him to start but I personally wouldn't. I think he is a bit of a liability on the wing, more often than not he comes off his wing and gets in the way of the actual scrummie. I would have him starting at 9 or on the bench. In this case I think Price more than deserves another start.

I'm excited for this one as well, there is less expectation and i'm looking forward to seeing what Spinks can do, if selected. He is only a month younger than Ickle Jonny, proving that A) IJ is an unbelievable talent, and B) There is no reason why Spinks shouldn't be physically capable.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:12 am

While really glad for Pete Horne this has screwed us for this game well and truly. Can Niko play lock ? Wink Or maybe 10 - jeez that would be fun - we would probably lose 10 tries to 5.

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:11 am

As the team hasn't been posted, I don't have much to currently contribute to the substance of this thread but I would like to mention that I am writing this having afternoon tea on the 123rd floor lounge of the Burj Khalifa in Dubai.

Seriously. It's very nearly as good as the Gregg's on Queen Street in Glasgow. Nearly. Though their lorne sausage here is rubbish.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:19 am

Yeah, I see you there. Wave to the security camera behind your left shoulder.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:39 am

George Carlin wrote:As the team hasn't been posted, I don't have much to currently contribute to the substance of this thread but I would like to mention that I am writing this having afternoon tea on the 123rd floor lounge of the Burj Khalifa in Dubai.

Seriously. It's very nearly as good as the Gregg's on Queen Street in Glasgow. Nearly. Though their lorne sausage here is rubbish.
I love that Gregg's. Half-price rolls at the end of the day - a skinflint's dream!
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:57 am

I still mourn the demise of City Bakeries. You got a goodly portion of fat in their round pies. Oh I still get misty eyed thinking of that moment when the running fat stop scalding the back of your hand and then congealed and solidified on your skin when the cold Glasgow air hit it.
Mmm, them folks in Stockbridge just don't know what it is to be alive.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by cp10 Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:58 am

Glasgow teams up:

15. Peter Murchie
14. Niko Matawalu
13. Richie Vernon
12. Fraser Lyle
11. DTH van der Merwe
10. Connor Braid
9. Murray McConnell

1. Alex Allan
2. Pat MacArthur
3. Rossouw de Klerk
4. James Eddie
5. Al Kellock (Captain)
6. Adam Ashe
7. Will Bordill
8. Josh Strauss

Replacements

16. Dougie Hall
17. Jerry Yanuyanutawa
18. D'arcy Rae
19. Alex Toolis
20. Tommy Spinks
21. Glenn Bryce
22. Lee Jones
23. Rory Hughes

cp10

Back to top Go down

Post by Weegie Wizard Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:01 pm

It's as good as can be expected. Good to see Ashe back but strange to play him at 6 rather than Strauss. If this is enough to beat Munster away we will definitely win the league this season.

Have Munster announced?

Weegie Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:05 pm

That team is not too bad actually given the fairly extreme circumstances, but that is a very raw 9-10-12 axis. Not convinced by the front 5 either, which you need to be strong away to Munster.

Glasgow still have a chance here I think!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:10 pm

Wizard, I think we might see Bluto at 8 more often now: Vern will want him there for the World Cup. Well who else is there?
If we win this then we can win the league. Here's hoping Munster see the team sheet and get all complacent.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:18 pm

Munster team:

Munster: JJ Hanrahan; Andrew Conway, Keith Earls, Denis Hurley - capt., Ronan O'Mahony; Ian Keatley, Duncan Williams; John Ryan, Eusebio Guinazu, BJ Botha; Donncha O'Callaghan, Billy Holland; Jack O'Donoghue, Sean Dougall, CJ Stander.

Replacements: Niall Scannell, Dave Kilcoyne, Stephen Archer, Dave O'Callaghan, Paddy Butler, Neil Cronin, Andrew Smith, Ivan Dineen.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by MunsterMac Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:23 pm

7 changes from the Scarlets match last week.

When is the last time Munster named a relatively unchanged side for a run of matches?

Obviously Foley doesn't feel continuity has any merit or benefits.

MunsterMac

Back to top Go down

Post by Totalflanker Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:25 pm

Is Cusack injured/not well again? Forget it, just read that it's his foot.

Totalflanker

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:35 pm

I was wondering what had happened to big mike as well. He is down as injured this week, with a foot injury, though he was not on the crocked list last week. He does not seem to be hitting his stride yet, ebven though he has the opportunity of getting a run of games. You do wonder if he is ever going to be the same player again.

Was surprised to see Price not picked as well, he certainly deserved it after last week. not injured either. I guess Toonie is just being fair to McConnell and seeing what he can do, he has not really had many chances yet and was also highly rated when younger. He needs to take any chances he gets if he wants to stay on.

Other than that the team is much as expected, all things considered its not to bad, albeit they will have a massive test in Cork. Nothing to lose, so lets see what they are made of.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:37 pm

Good to see another young prop D'Arcy Rae getting a bench spot to. He seemed to do ok on his loan spell out in Treviso. They have sent out a nice tweet wishing him well. Lets hope he takes his chance as well.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:37 pm

MunsterMac wrote:7 changes from the Scarlets match last week.

When is the last time Munster named a relatively unchanged side for a run of matches?

Obviously Foley doesn't feel continuity has any merit or benefits.

There isn't that many unforced changes - TOD & Felix with Ireland. Ronan O'Mahony back and Luke O'Dea out. The rest is just rotating between starters and bench.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:39 pm

Surprisingly presentable Glasgow side. Agree both that the more experienced Strauss should be at 8 to let Ashe sneak back into his regular position but presumably we need Strauss' power and control at the tale.

There is a lot of talent there to be competitive but ultimately Munster (even the hacked around squad above - agree with Mac that the coaching staff cannot seem to settle on whom their starters should be) should win this by more than a score.

Delighted to see so much young SQ talent here and it is very dangerous indeed to be young, full of the joys and with nothing to lose.

Is a Glasgow win completely out of the question? No, but Braid needs to nail his goalkicks.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:49 pm

Glasgow side is a bit of a dog's breakfast, however needs must.

I'd certainly have Niko at 9 with Hughes on the wing. Toonie doesn't seem to rate Hughes but he looks handy to me.

Slightly surprised by Eddie at lock ahead of Toolis, one being a lock and the other one not being a lock, but Eddie is one of these journeymen that the Great Unwashed hold dear.

Pleased for Bordill getting a chance, and delighted that Ashe is back (and Denton for Edinburgh).

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by toml Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:15 pm

Was having a look at the best kicking percentages in the pro12 this year.
Hanrahan was the top kicker last season, but must be 77% or below this year, surprised neither Munster kickers are above that.

Bigger is top with 42/45 - 93%

Weir is Glasgows best at 84%

toml

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:25 pm

Both JJ & Keatley had a slow start - both were minding a groin problem so didn't practice any kicking during preseason. JJ hasn't been kicking much this year anyway.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:26 pm

Sin é wrote:Munster team:

Munster: JJ Hanrahan; Andrew Conway, Keith Earls, Denis Hurley - capt., Ronan O'Mahony; Ian Keatley, Duncan Williams; John Ryan, Eusebio Guinazu, BJ Botha; Donncha O'Callaghan, Billy Holland; Jack O'Donoghue, Sean Dougall, CJ Stander.

Replacements: Niall Scannell, Dave Kilcoyne, Stephen Archer, Dave O'Callaghan, Paddy Butler, Neil Cronin, Andrew Smith, Ivan Dineen.

Strong enough team for a win....hopefully

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by MunsterMac Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:34 pm

There isn't that many unforced changes - TOD & Felix with Ireland. Ronan O'Mahony back and Luke O'Dea out. The rest is just rotating between starters and bench.

So other than Ronan O'Mahony, John Ryan, Eusebio Guinazu, BJ Botha and Jack O'Donoghue there aren't that many unforced changes!!

MunsterMac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:42 pm

MunsterMac wrote:

So other than Ronan O'Mahony, John Ryan, Eusebio Guinazu, BJ Botha and Jack O'Donoghue there aren't that many unforced changes!!

They all played last weekend - just bench rotation! Penney used do that a lot - start every 2nd week or so. That way you keep everyone ticking over (and happy).

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by MunsterMac Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:22 pm

Problem is between 'bench rotation', trying to keep everyone happy, internationals being away, international squad members returning & international squad members leaving not to mention players being injured / returning from injury we never seem to have a settled team.

Why can't we just put what is considered our best available 15 out on the field every week?

This is pro rugby and it's all about winning matches after all.

And the league is our only shot at silverware left this season.

My opinion is it's this kind of crap that keeps losing us matches we should win, especially at home and especially against our main competitors.

MunsterMac

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:23 pm

Surprised about Ali Price after last week as he did very well. Still Toonie looking ahead to the Niko-less times !

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:30 pm

Schitz, are  you actually GC's mildly racist uncle Dougie?
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:28 pm

MunsterMac wrote:Problem is between 'bench rotation', trying to keep everyone happy, internationals being away, international squad members returning & international squad members leaving not to mention players being injured / returning from injury we never seem to have a settled team.

Why can't we just put what is considered our best available 15 out on the field every week?

This is pro rugby and it's all about winning matches after all.

And the league is our only shot at silverware left this season.

My opinion is it's this kind of crap that keeps losing us matches we should win, especially at home and especially against our main competitors.
Looks about the strongest team except for kilcoyne...what changes do you have in mind

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:37 pm

tigertattie wrote:Schitz, are  you actually GC's mildly racist uncle Dougie?
I thought he was Cambo. Although I have long suspected him of being Fes. Or maybe Fes is himself.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:36 am

Weak second row, one has to wonder why Tom Ryder has been allowed to leave.

Interesting that after a few showing with Treviso, D'arcy Rae is back. Maybe he is actually better than what they initially thought.

Last edited by VinceWLB on Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:37 am

What have I done to deserve this ? Shocked Shocked Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:54 pm

A bonus point win will put Munster top, a LBP will keep Glasgow top. I just hope the youngsters say Fecc it, and really go for Munster.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:49 pm

Right Glasgow, can you give us something to cheer about. Unfortunately I can't see anything else but a humping

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:10 pm

that Munster player in the centre, Earls has a good bit of pace. leaves his support behind or ignores runners though - might be better as a winger.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:12 pm

The weekend is not getting any better, we are getting murdered at the moment, Forget about a bonus point, we will do well to stop them getting a five pointer. The squad has been stretched just a little bit to thin for this one!

Heroic defence going on, but not much else. If Munster had been more clinical it would be over and done by now.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:37 pm

Whatever else happens in this game, I am just in awe of the way Glasgow have come back at them. What spirit, what a team, the kids are doing just fine!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:40 pm

As I thought.  Earls much better out on the wing - great pace and a little kick flourish into the hands to finish off a lovely grubber kick from Keatley.

That was as good as the Glasgow try.

Last edited by Pot Hale on Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:45 pm

Well I wouldn't have figured Munster could have got a try bonus point out of this match, but they have.   Good play - using fresh legs of the bench and Stander touches down after a powerful maul.

Keatley misses another one.

22-10.  12 minutes to go.

There's more scores in this one.

Last edited by Pot Hale on Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:47 pm

Braid is doing well all things considering.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:50 pm

Owens is just great at laying down the law - patiently.

Nobody quibbles.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:57 pm

Well - just saw the first use of the new Hawkeye technology for a possible Glasgow try which was disallowed.    Very good - you could see clearly the timing of the scoring player's foot going into touch in one angle just before the shot of his touchdown on another angle.   It didn't take long - could be a good innovation.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:01 pm

And it finishes 22-10 to Munster.  5 points in the bag - thoroughly deserved as they go top of the league by 1 point above Glasgow.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:06 pm

That was a good game. Could have been a cricket score the way the first half went but Glasgow never gave up and some of the new players eventually got up to the speed of the game.

Despite getting no points, I think Glasgow will take a lot from that, there were some very good performances out there.

Munster were strong though, they are going to be there or thereabouts at the end of the season. Well done to them.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next