The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Munster Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 28 February

+28
LeinsterFan4life
Pot Hale
cakeordeath
tigertattie
ME-109
toml
Totalflanker
MunsterMac
Sin é
cp10
21st Century Schizoid Man
EST
R!skysports
Tattie Scones RRN
Nachos Jones
wayne
demosthenes
BigGee
Nematode
SecretFly
Weegie Wizard
IanBru
funnyExiledScot
VinceWLB
jimbopip
RDW
George Carlin
32 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Munster Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 28 February Empty Munster Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 28 February

Post by George Carlin Sun 22 Feb 2015 - 11:20

Munster Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 28 February Munste10                    Munster Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 28 February Glasgo13
Munster Rugby v Glasgow Warriors
Saturday 28 February 2015
KO 19:15
Irish Independent Park, Cork

Referee: Nigel Owens (118th competition game)Munster Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 28 February Worshi10
Assistant Referees: Mark Patton, John Carvill (both IRFU)
Citing Commissioner: Peter Ferguson (IRFU)
TMO: Dermot Moloney (IRFU)

Live on Sky Sports

A. Teams:

Munster Rugby
Munster Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 28 February Richar10
[tbc]

Glasgow Warriors
Munster Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 28 February Rob_ca10
[tbc]

B. Form - head to head:

24 Played 24
14 Wins 9
9 Losses 14
1 Draws 1
59 Tries 45
41 Conversions 32
54 Penalties 63
1 Drop Goals 1
542 Points 481
26 Avg. Age 25

C. Form:

Sat 20 December 2014
Glasgow Warriors 21 - 18 Munster Rugby

Fri 16 May 2014
Glasgow Warriors 16 - 15 Munster Rugby

Sat 12 April 2014
Munster Rugby 5 - 22 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 25 October 2013
Glasgow Warriors 6 - 13 Munster Rugby

Last edited by George Carlin on Tue 24 Feb 2015 - 19:18; edited 3 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Munster Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 28 February Empty Re: Munster Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 28 February

Post by RDW Sun 22 Feb 2015 - 11:31

Eh, I think you'll find Connery was born in Edinburgh! Whistle

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Munster Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 28 February Empty Re: Munster Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 28 February

Post by George Carlin Sun 22 Feb 2015 - 11:40

RDW_Scotland wrote:Eh, I think you'll find Connery was born in Edinburgh! Whistle
Oooooooooooh touchy. Fair enough - I have removed your boyfriend and inserted a proper Weegie mentalist instead.

Looking forward to this game. This is the two best teams in the league at the moment, I think.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun 22 Feb 2015 - 13:36

A big weekend coming up.
O's v Ladyboys
Ulster v Scaahlets
Munster v Warriors.
The Welsh sides really need to be winning here or the top four will be pulling away from them. If, and a big if, Glasgow win away then they are eight points ahead of Munster. I'm thinking that a lot will depend on how many internationalists are returned to their clubs. However, Toonie's Magic Tombola seems to be plucking names out and surprising everyone: Sandy Lyle??? I think a win here puts Glasgow in touch of the play offs while a defeat doesn't really lose us any ground: we'd still be top on Sunday morning.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Sun 22 Feb 2015 - 13:54

If we can grab a win here I'd be delighted, as it would put us in an excellent position to go through the six nations unbeaten which, given the players we're missing, is a remarkable position to be in.
Also has anyone noticed that our last fixture is against Ulster at Scotstoun, as the table stands the semi-final would then be an exact replica of this.

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun 22 Feb 2015 - 14:10

I think Glasgow have a chance in this but they may need to sign one or two more Edinburgh player to beef their pack up a bit.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun 22 Feb 2015 - 16:05

VinceWLB wrote:I think Glasgow have a chance in this but they may need to sign one or two more Edinburgh player to beef their pack up a bit.
I hear Visser can play 6. That would stiffen our defence no end.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun 22 Feb 2015 - 17:53

jimbopip wrote:
VinceWLB wrote:I think Glasgow have a chance in this but they may need to sign one or two more Edinburgh player to beef their pack up a bit.
I hear Visser can play 6. That would stiffen our defence no end.

You can take Visser and play him wherever you want, he would certainly improve your scrum if you play him in place of the Ruck Inspector. In exchange we get DTH, you don't seem to want him anymore!

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun 22 Feb 2015 - 20:02

Vince it never ceases to amaze me that men who exfoliate never seem able to see Cap'n Kellock for the leader that he is. The comparison I would make would be with Franco Baresi at Milan. When the Luvvies find, and keep, a rugby player who is patently not metrosexual and who gainsays grooming products and would rather "pit mair weight oan that bar" then you might appreciate the big man.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sun 22 Feb 2015 - 20:15

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Sun 22 Feb 2015 - 21:18

Good for you FES. I celebrate the year of Vaughan Williams' birth as well. Wink
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sun 22 Feb 2015 - 21:50

IanBru wrote:Good for you FES. I celebrate the year of Vaughan Williams' birth as well. Wink

Glad to hear it. His Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis and The Lark Ascending are two favourites of mine, as is his Fantasia on Christmas Carols. His ashes were buried at my Alma Mater.

Edinburgh 20 - 8 Glasgow.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Sun 22 Feb 2015 - 22:15

Oh yes, I love the Fantasia - one of my favorite pieces with which to watch Edinburgh reach the playoffs.

Last edited by IanBru on Sun 22 Feb 2015 - 22:58; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : The first attempt wasn't remotely funny.)
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 23 Feb 2015 - 5:43

Well done to Edinburgh on their 1872 Cup victory, by the way.

Glasgow will have to settle for having 19 more points and having won 5 games more than the 1872 Cup Gods.

Rumours are unconfirmed that Solly uses the cup to keep his office door wedged shut.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 23 Feb 2015 - 9:38

IanBru wrote:Oh yes, I love the Fantasia - one of my favorite pieces with which to watch Edinburgh reach the playoffs.

The Christmas Fantasia? I usually listen to that to mark the end of Glasgow's European campaign.....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 23 Feb 2015 - 9:42

This is possibly the most middle class rap battle I have ever heard.

Munster Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 28 February No-he-didnt

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 23 Feb 2015 - 9:50

George Carlin wrote:Well done to Edinburgh on their 1872 Cup victory, by the way.

Glasgow will have to settle for having 19 more points and having won 5 games more than the 1872 Cup Gods.

Rumours are unconfirmed that Solly uses the cup to keep his office door wedged shut.

I look at things differently.

Both Edinburgh and Glasgow started the season competing for 3 things. Edinburgh have 1 already in the bag, are very much still in for another although to be fair have probably let the 3rd all away. Still, 2 from 3 is ok.

Glasgow have had their backsides handed to them in 2 of the 3, and will probably choke the 3rd (business as usual).

Don't worry guys, there's still next season (minus Mata, DTH and Maitland....).

Fingers Crossed

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 23 Feb 2015 - 11:42

Looking at Glasgow's run in;
Munster away 1pt
Zebra home 5 pts
Ladyboys away opts
Caahdiff home 4pts
Connacht away 1pt
Hairsprays away 1pt
Ulster home 1pt

This rather pessimistic prediction would give us 63pts which might scrape into the play offs but would mean an away berth.
However an away win at Connacht and an end of season victory at home to Ulster gives us 69pts and a home semi. I get the feeling Cardiff and Connacht are the crucial games as that's were we could slip up as opposed to hairsprays and Ladyboys away where we're not really expected to get anything.
The most optimistic version has us beating Munster and Zebra and then facing a depleted Ladyboys whose internationals are all being rested post 6N's. A win in Dublin then would pretty much guarantee us a home semi. How sweet would that be.
If we win on Saturday then a home win against Zebra should mean we go to Dublin with momentum and confidence.
I just wonder what the Tombola will throw up on Friday.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 23 Feb 2015 - 11:47

You MUST beat Connacht away (preferrably depriving them of an LBP).

Your superiors demand it!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Weegie Wizard Mon 23 Feb 2015 - 11:54

My less pessimistic but still realistic thoughts are:

Muster 1pt
Zebre 5pts
Leinster 0pts
Cardiff 4pts
Connacht 4pts
Os 1pt
Ulster 4pts

I think that would be enough for playoffs but we need another win or a couple more bonus points for top 2 I think. Getting the other win from the 3 away games will be tough.

Weegie Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 23 Feb 2015 - 12:17

For the Munster lads who show up here.............  re-hire Stringer.  Let bygones be bygones, give him his few years left back home amongst his kin and, who knows, he might even turn those frustrating draws into major wins again Wink

There's still life in that dog- give him a home.  You owe him a final few years back from exile.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 23 Feb 2015 - 12:36

funnyExiledScot wrote:
George Carlin wrote:Well done to Edinburgh on their 1872 Cup victory, by the way.

I look at things differently.

Both Edinburgh and Glasgow started the season competing for 3 things. Edinburgh have 1 already in the bag, are very much still in for another although to be fair have probably let the 3rd all away. Still, 2 from 3 is ok.

Glasgow have had their backsides handed to them in 2 of the 3, and will probably choke the 3rd (business as usual).

Don't worry guys, there's still next season (minus Mata, DTH and Maitland....).

Fingers Crossed
You're right.

You certainly do look at things differently.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 24 Feb 2015 - 19:19

Sir Nige of Owens with the whistle. Cool

Offy preview:

Preview: Munster v Glasgow Warriors

Munster's only defeat in their last five fixtures in all competitions was 10-33 at Saracens in the European Champions Cup on 17th January.

Munster have won their last four home games in the Guinness PRO12 and have been victorious on their last seven fixtures in Cork since Cardiff Blues beat them there in January 2013.

The Munstermen have lost their last three encounters with Scottish opponents.

Glasgow Warriors have lost only once in the Guinness PRO12 since round 8: 8-20 to Edinburgh at BT Murrayfield on 2nd January.

The Warriors' solitary victory in their last four visits to the Irish Provinces came in this equivalent fixture against Munster in Limerick in round 19 last season.

Munster have won only one of their last five fixtures against the Warriors: 13-6 at Scotstoun in October 2013, whilst Glasgow's only previous win in Cork came in May 2008.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Tue 24 Feb 2015 - 21:43

George Carlin wrote:Sir Nige of Owens with the whistle. Cool

Think he'll remember his passport this time?

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by Weegie Wizard Wed 25 Feb 2015 - 14:32

Nakarawa has been given 3 weeks for his headbutt against the Os.

So we're looking at big Al and McKenzie for this with Eddie covering?

Weegie Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 25 Feb 2015 - 15:00

Glasgow player banned for giving "Glasgow kiss" to opponent but mitigating factors were taken onto account...
(a) he's not Glaswegian so it was Fijian foreplay
(b) he was not dressed as a superhero so there was no premeditation.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 25 Feb 2015 - 15:22

Weegie Wizard wrote:Nakarawa has been given 3 weeks for his headbutt against the Os.

McKenzie was only meant to be with Glasgow for the one game, unless that changes,we are going to struggle for second rows. We will get to see what the other Toolis is like, which may be no bad thing!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by demosthenes Wed 25 Feb 2015 - 15:25

BigGee wrote:
Weegie Wizard wrote:Nakarawa has been given 3 weeks for his headbutt against the Os.

McKenzie was only meant to be with Glasgow for the one game, unless that changes,we are going to struggle for second rows. We will get to see what the other Toolis is like, which may be no bad thing!

Just Glasgow's luck - they have two EDP locks - both playing for Scotland U20's

demosthenes

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 25 Feb 2015 - 15:28

It is not beyond the realms of possibility that we may get Swinson back, he is probably 4th in line of the second rows in the squad.

I would not mind seeing Ashe come back for some game time as well. That could free up Eddie to play in the second row.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 25 Feb 2015 - 16:01

Nice to see Naka assimilating local cultural behaviour.

This means he will be out for Munster and Zebre but back for Leinster on the 27th.

Hope he's learned from this. He seems to find himself in these situations - nearly had the Glasgow try in the second match against Bath chalked off by yanking somone by their leg out of a ruck. He should make like his club captain and avoid rucks like a recovering alkie at a wine tasting.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Weegie Wizard Wed 25 Feb 2015 - 16:14

George Carlin wrote:Nice to see Naka assimilating local cultural behaviour.

This means he will be out for Munster and Zebre but back for Leinster on the 27th.

Hope he's learned from this. He seems to find himself in these situations - nearly had the Glasgow try in the second match against Bath chalked off by yanking somone by their leg out of a ruck. He should make like his club captain and avoid rucks like a recovering alkie at a wine tasting.

Nope. Believe it or not, the Pro12 don't take into account 'down weeks' so he is out for the Leinster game as well

Weegie Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 25 Feb 2015 - 16:17

Weegie Wizard wrote:

Nope. Believe it or not, the Pro12 don't take into account 'down weeks' so he is out for the Leinster game as well
Oh smeg.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 25 Feb 2015 - 16:18

And if Toolis is in the Scotland squad we'll need Frazer McKenzie - we'll only have 3 locks left including him!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Weegie Wizard Wed 25 Feb 2015 - 16:21

BBC are saying McKenzie has already gone back to the far east as well so it will be Al and wee Toolis starting this game with a likely back row of Eddie, Bordill and Josh.

Weegie Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 25 Feb 2015 - 16:23

Unless one of them is being kept as a spare, either Toolis or Swinson should be released.

From a Scotland and Glasgow point of view, that should be Swinson!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Wed 25 Feb 2015 - 16:32

I'm pretty sure Swinson will be released.

Could Tom Ryder be re-loaned back to Glasgow Headscratch

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Wed 25 Feb 2015 - 21:38

Weegie Wizard wrote:

Nothing more than you and he deserves

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Thu 26 Feb 2015 - 8:54

SecretFly wrote:For the Munster lads who show up here.............  re-hire Stringer.  Let bygones be bygones, give him his few years left back home amongst his kin and, who knows, he might even turn those frustrating draws into major wins again Wink

There's still life in that dog- give him a home.  You owe him a final few years back from exile.

As a Munsterfan, I would certainly have him back. Not as a starter but he is a very valuable squad player and mentor.

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Weegie Wizard Thu 26 Feb 2015 - 9:26

Nachos what sort of team will you guys be able to put out here?
Are you expecting any players back from the national squad?

Weegie Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Thu 26 Feb 2015 - 9:37

wayne wrote:
Weegie Wizard wrote:

Explain.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Thu 26 Feb 2015 - 9:58

Tattie Scones RRN wrote:
wayne wrote:
Weegie Wizard wrote:

Explain.
As I put it on the relevant thread ( Glasgow v Ospreys) and nobody had the guts to respond, I thought I'd put it on here, if you need the history to the exchange just have a look on the relevant topic, and when you're about it, why don't you have a look where Malky is, he seems to have done a disappearing act.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 26 Feb 2015 - 12:54

Well it is gong to be an interesting selection for Glasgow now. We are going to be really struggling for FH's and second rows.

For FH it really has to be Lyle or more likely Braid, who has at least played there a bit at international level for Canada. We will need Lyle at 12, as we don't really have anyone else to play there either.

I would assume we will get Ashe back and he will play at least a half, that might free up Eddie for a second row slot, or it will be Big Al and Toolis, I think that is all we have left.

Bordill probably deserves a start in the backrow, he played well when he came on last week and we might see Spinks on the bench. I see he is not in the squad to play in the club international this weekend.

I think pretty much every fit and available player is going to be in the squad this week and maybe a few playing out of position. Has Henry Pygros ever played FH, I think he may have done once before, is he even fit yet? Maybe he might cover both slots from the bench.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 26 Feb 2015 - 13:10

What is that now, something like 24 players we have on international duty, injured, banned for headbutting people, banned for causing GBH in a kebab house whilst dressed as a superhero or loaned out to other teams?

More than an entire matchday squad and unprecedented for this Glasgow side, I believe.

If Munster don't take 5 points from this home game, then the guys on the pitch should really think about taking up another hobby.

Will Maitland be back?

Last edited by George Carlin on Thu 26 Feb 2015 - 13:34; edited 1 time in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 26 Feb 2015 - 13:29

The loaning out of Downey and Ryder does seem a bit odd now, but I imagine there must have been a bit more to it than seems at face value.

Ryder has been a good and loyal player and I guess we owed him the chance to put himself in the shop window to find another club, he clearly was not going to be retained.

Downey just has not fitted in, probably one of the few real duds that Toonie has signed since he arrived as coach. I suppose with the benefit of hindsight, hiring a pure a simple crash ball centre was never going to be what Glasgow wanted or needed. Both parties will probably benefit from a parting of the ways and it has allowed Lyle, who on his appearances so far has looked a decent player and should be kept on.

The situation is not ideal for this weekend, but it is what it is and if we can even get a point from the game it will be good. We have nothing to lose and maybe if we play like that then anything will be possible. Reputations are there to be made in this match!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 26 Feb 2015 - 13:33

Glasgow has postponed its team announcement until tomorrow lunchtime.
And no bloody wonder.

They probably want to see if Sean Lineen is in town and has a pair of boots with him.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 26 Feb 2015 - 13:35

Well said Gee. The pressure should all be on Munster. If the don't get 5pts then they have failed. If we get a LBP then we have done well.
9. Price
10. Braid
11. DTH
12. Sandy
13. Richie Vee
12 Niko
15. Murchie
Not the worst set of backs in the world, with Braid and Price looking to make a name for themselves. There's no real pressure on Glasgow so they should just give it a lash.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 26 Feb 2015 - 13:35

I won't be answering the phone for the next 24 hours: I can't play second row.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Weegie Wizard Thu 26 Feb 2015 - 13:39

Well last week we had (I think) 22 players out and squad was:

Peter Murchie, Niko Matawalu, Richie Vernon, Fraser Lyle, DTH van der Merwe, Peter Horne, Ali Price,
Ryan Grant, Pat MacArthur, Rossouw de Klerk, Leone Nakarawa, Al Kellock, James Eddie, Tyrone Holmes, Josh Strauss
Replacements: Kevin Bryce, Alex Allan, Zander Fagerson, Fraser McKenzie, Will Bordill, Connor Braid, Rory Hughes, Glenn Bryce

From that list we are now missing Horne, Grant, Leone and Sherlock making 26 absentees. We also no longer have McKenzie but Toolis will swap in for him.

Jerry and Spinks may bench in place of Grant and Holmes but we are seriously short in the 2nd row and midfield. I suspect Braid will start but no clue who will be on the bench.

Who is left?

Last edited by Weegie Wizard on Thu 26 Feb 2015 - 13:41; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Poor maths)

Weegie Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 26 Feb 2015 - 13:44

Weegie Wizard wrote:Well last week we had (I think) 22 players out and squad was:

Peter Murchie, Niko Matawalu, Richie Vernon, Fraser Lyle, DTH van der Merwe, Peter Horne, Ali Price,
Ryan Grant, Pat MacArthur, Rossouw de Klerk, Leone Nakarawa, Al Kellock, James Eddie, Tyrone Holmes, Josh Strauss
Replacements: Kevin Bryce, Alex Allan, Zander Fagerson, Fraser McKenzie, Will Bordill, Connor Braid, Rory Hughes, Glenn Bryce

From that list we are now missing Horne, Grant, Leone and Sherlock making 26 absentees. We also no longer have McKenzie but Toolis will swap in for him.

Jerry and Spinks may bench in place of Grant and Holmes but we are seriously short in the 2nd row and midfield. I suspect Braid will start but no clue who will be on the bench.

Who is left?
Munster Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 28 February Crazy-15
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Weegie Wizard Thu 26 Feb 2015 - 13:52

Laugh

Weegie Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next