The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ali vs Cooper 1 - Was there really a 4 minute break?

+3
HumanWindmill
Scottrf
Valero's Conscience
7 posters

Go down

Ali vs Cooper 1 - Was there really a 4 minute break? Empty Ali vs Cooper 1 - Was there really a 4 minute break?

Post by Valero's Conscience Fri 27 May 2011, 1:51 pm

What started from a conversation with my parents about Henry Cooper following the documentary on him the other day ended in a debate.

Everyone knows the story of the long break between the 4th and 5th rounds.

From the youtube video i've seen the additional time appears to be only circa 5 seconds however some albeit appears only British state this much longer time which I have never found proof of and belive the story of an extra 4-5 minutes purely a myth.

I'm sure this was covered on here following Cooper's death, however can anyone help shine more light on it for me, and help me prove my case to my parents?

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Ali vs Cooper 1 - Was there really a 4 minute break? Empty Re: Ali vs Cooper 1 - Was there really a 4 minute break?

Post by Scottrf Fri 27 May 2011, 1:54 pm

66 seconds I believe.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Ali vs Cooper 1 - Was there really a 4 minute break? Empty Re: Ali vs Cooper 1 - Was there really a 4 minute break?

Post by HumanWindmill Fri 27 May 2011, 1:55 pm

Cooper's claims have been pretty much disproven, Valero. The glove was never replaced, and the break between rounds was only extended by about six seconds :

http://www.saddoboxing.com/3416-boxing-history-cassius-clay-vs-henry-cooper.html

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 27 May 2011, 1:57 pm

I heard the delay was something in the region of three days. The score in the Bugner fight should have also been 150 - 135 in Henry's favour.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by slash912 Fri 27 May 2011, 1:58 pm

I think it's Colin Hart who has a column in The Sun who wrote an article recently as a tribute to Cooper, but in it he mentioned how he was at the fight and he said it was about 20 seconds or something short like that (can't remember exactly, it was Dad telling me about the article).

slash912

Back to top Go down

Post by slash912 Fri 27 May 2011, 2:00 pm

You're very much mistaken rowley, Bugner won 1 round whilst Henry took a tea break.

slash912

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Fri 27 May 2011, 2:02 pm

Thanks Windmill and Scott,

From what I had read I always thought that. My parents are from South East London and not even boxing fans at all but them like so many all state this as gospel (the amount of times i've had the conversation with old boys in the pub!).

I shall enjoy seeing them over the weekend!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 27 May 2011, 2:03 pm

Valero's Conscience wrote:Thanks Windmill and Scott,

From what I had read I always thought that. My parents are from South East London and not even boxing fans at all but them like so many all state this as gospel (the amount of times i've had the conversation with old boys in the pub!).

I shall enjoy seeing them over the weekend!
Take a copy of this months Boxing Monthly, I think they talk about it in there.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by fearlessBamber Fri 27 May 2011, 2:06 pm

Hmmm, East London pub, geek turns up with magazine criticising local folklore.

I'd keep schtum if I were you Smile

fearlessBamber

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 27 May 2011, 2:08 pm

I thought he meant with his parents! Yeah I'd ignore that advice! Wink

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Fri 27 May 2011, 2:22 pm

Thanks I might just grab a copy!

Don't worry, the old boys are well, old now so no bother and young ones probably only know Cooper by name and would no doubt bang on about Haye being the best HW ever!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 27 May 2011, 2:24 pm

Valero's Conscience wrote:Thanks I might just grab a copy!

Don't worry, the old boys are well, old now so no bother and young ones probably only know Cooper by name and would no doubt bang on about Haye being the best HW ever!

No chance mate anyone under 30 knows Tyson is the greatest heavyweight ever. They are even willing to write fact in capital letters quite a lot to prove it.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Fri 27 May 2011, 2:26 pm

You do them a disservice, jeff, in forgetting that they also know it to be

FACT!!!

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Fri 27 May 2011, 2:33 pm

Ha ha, I actually was going to say Haye and Tyson but thought saying Tyson would raise a debate!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Fri 27 May 2011, 5:07 pm

I thought the break was still ongoing. And may be going some time, given that Cooper is...predisposed.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down