The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RJ out - GOD HELP US - Cooper Will Be In next

+14
maestegmafia
flankertye
ML
Smirnoffpriest
Comfort
Luckless Pedestrian
Seagultaf
mpc28
munkian
Cymroglan
Turkster
mckay1402
RubyGuby
bedfordwelsh
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

RJ out - GOD HELP US - Cooper Will Be In next Empty RJ out - GOD HELP US - Cooper Will Be In next

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 18 Aug 2011, 1:21 pm

SO R Jones is out which means we start with Buggy Boy at No8 and JT on the bench.

Our worst hooker for god knows how long is on the bench as well and Peel is supposedly injured.

That only leaves Gareth Cooper out of Gatlands cronies left to be called into the squad.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

RJ out - GOD HELP US - Cooper Will Be In next Empty Re: RJ out - GOD HELP US - Cooper Will Be In next

Post by RubyGuby Thu 18 Aug 2011, 1:33 pm

Buggy Boy is at the last chance saloon, lets see how he goes - I hope he aint going to NZ though as many more deserving like Delve with 1 leg and his arms behind his back. Dafydd Jones a big loss and not much mention of him these days.

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

RJ out - GOD HELP US - Cooper Will Be In next Empty Re: RJ out - GOD HELP US - Cooper Will Be In next

Post by Guest Thu 18 Aug 2011, 1:37 pm

RubyGuby wrote:Buggy Boy is at the last chance saloon, lets see how he goes - I hope he aint going to NZ though as many more deserving like Delve with 1 leg and his arms behind his back. Dafydd Jones a big loss and not much mention of him these days.

Dafydd Jones retired ages ago

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 18 Aug 2011, 1:38 pm

Dafydd was a big loss to injury, think he is within the Llanelli RFC set up somewhere but not sure.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 18 Aug 2011, 1:39 pm

That's why he's a big loss - and people don't mention much about him these days thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Thu 18 Aug 2011, 1:43 pm

I can't believe that Powell is the best option to replace any of our back row.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Turkster Thu 18 Aug 2011, 1:45 pm

Damn, I've been sniggering quietly to myself every time I read Mike Tindall will be in the England world cup squad, and now it looks as if Wales's equivalent Jonathon Thomas may go too, my sniggering has turned to soft whimpering instead. Sad

Turkster

Back to top Go down

RJ out - GOD HELP US - Cooper Will Be In next Empty Ryan Jones out of Argentina clash

Post by Cymroglan Thu 18 Aug 2011, 1:53 pm

Ryan Jones is out of Wales' final World Cup warm-up game on Saturday against Argentina.

The back-five forward had been set to equal Ieuan Evans' 28 games as Wales captain, but has fallen victim to a calf injury.

Andy Powell takes over at number eight with Jonathan Thomas coming on to the bench.

LINK

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Thu 18 Aug 2011, 1:54 pm

prepare to watch our chaps get stopped in their tracks and turned over with every bit of possession
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 18 Aug 2011, 1:57 pm

You know exactly what's going to happen now - Powell will have an absolute stormer as per his SA match and will get MOM and become a shoe in for NZ Headscratch

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 18 Aug 2011, 1:57 pm

mckay1402 wrote:I can't believe that Powell is the best option to replace any of our back row.

He isnt, Gatland just thinks he is.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 18 Aug 2011, 1:58 pm

And still no Delve.

Put similar thread on but god help us Powell and Thomas in squad. Have been a critic of Jones but he was cominh back into form and have said he still has lot to off the squad.

Would certainly be ahead Powell and Thomas at 8, 6 or 2nd row IMO.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 18 Aug 2011, 1:59 pm

yet another calf injury?! what do they keep doing to these players in the training camps at the WRU?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 18 Aug 2011, 2:01 pm

going to merge this by the way with the other thread about it

Back to top Go down

Post by mpc28 Thu 18 Aug 2011, 2:03 pm

Would love to know what Delve has done wrong to miss out yet again!

Also suprised that Martyn Williams has taken the captains armband when he has stated in the past that he doesnt enjoy it, i expected Alun Wyn Jones to get it.

mpc28

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Thu 18 Aug 2011, 2:05 pm

Wales have only won once with Martyn as captain and I think that was against the Barbarians...
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Thu 18 Aug 2011, 2:06 pm

"Dafydd Jones retired ages ago."

I think actually he retired this year!

I agree with the other posters Buggy Boy and JT should be no where neat the squad. Why not Turnbull, Delve, even Macusker is fit now and playing for the Scarlets

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 18 Aug 2011, 2:17 pm

mpc28 wrote:Would love to know what Delve has done wrong to miss out yet again!

Also suprised that Martyn Williams has taken the captains armband when he has stated in the past that he doesnt enjoy it, i expected Alun Wyn Jones to get it.

Delve is injured according Howley Wink Well thats the story the Welsh Set up are saying I expect.

Him and Peel are not yes men so maybe thats it, maybe they weren't expecting Peel to come out and say hwat he said.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 18 Aug 2011, 2:17 pm

Jonathan Thomas, eh? There's no shaking him off, is there?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Thu 18 Aug 2011, 2:31 pm

So we've gone from a good player in R.Jones with no real go forward, to a bad player in Powell with no real go forward.

Bearman? As little chance as it has of happening. I'd take him right now with no game/prep time over powell or JT. They both remind me of a problem you're too embaressed to go to the doctor about and just sort of live with. Is there a rugby equivalent of "Embaressing Bodies"?

steam

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 18 Aug 2011, 3:04 pm

Just a point of information I KNOW Dafydd retired - I'm just saying he doesn't get mentioned much at the same time thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 18 Aug 2011, 3:10 pm

Bennett Powell and Thomas all in the same team arrrrrggggghhhhh

Thats the stuff of nightmares
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Thu 18 Aug 2011, 3:11 pm

RubyGuby wrote:You know exactly what's going to happen now - Powell will have an absolute stormer as per his SA match and will get MOM and become a shoe in for NZ Headscratch

That would not be a problem if he continues playing well.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 18 Aug 2011, 3:32 pm

[quote="RubyGuby"]Buggy Boy is at the last chance saloon, lets see how he goes -/quote]

How often have we heard that about Powell though - the only thing that can get him out of the time for any amount of time is acts of incredible stupidity, and even then he gets back into the team with no real form or reason to be there.

Why not put Faletau back in, or for the love of god Delve (and if, big IF delve is injured) then McCusker or as has been said Bearman or anyone, bring Quinell back into the team or his nan!

And why is JT on the bench, surely Turnbull is so much better option that he's on another planet to JT. (I'm going to call turnbull JT+1000)

It is scary that we've now got a potential backrow of M Williams, JT and Powell with Bennett, next it will be Cooper and T James...

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by ML Thu 18 Aug 2011, 4:17 pm

Another bloody calf injury!

Does Edwards chase them all round the training ground with a stick, beating them as high as he can reach if he catches them? Run

ML

Back to top Go down

Post by mpc28 Thu 18 Aug 2011, 4:23 pm

ML wrote:Another bloody calf injury!

Does Edwards chase them all round the training ground with a stick, beating them as high as he can reach if he catches them? Run

I was looking at pictures of the Welsh squad training this week and they were actually running with sticks Erm

mpc28

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Thu 18 Aug 2011, 4:27 pm

mpc28 wrote:
ML wrote:Another bloody calf injury!

I was looking at pictures of the Welsh squad training this week and they were actually running with sticks Erm

That was just a rehearsal for our response when we face the Haka Very Happy

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by flankertye Thu 18 Aug 2011, 4:32 pm

Think you'd have to get out of the pool to even get near playing New Zealand mate Wink

flankertye

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Thu 18 Aug 2011, 4:36 pm

flankertye wrote:Think you'd have to get out of the pool to even get near playing New Zealand mate Wink

Are you not aware who is in the same group as Wales ?

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 18 Aug 2011, 4:37 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Bennett Powell and Thomas all in the same team arrrrrggggghhhhh

Didn't you say along with many others how well you thought Bennett had played in the last two games, one poster even stated how they were happy to see Bennett come on at half time and sure up the team.

Maybe this should be taken into consideration before typing statements like the above???

With all due respect the players above have taken a slating that is more often than not unjustified. Although to be fair I do have serious doubts on Powells ability and was hoping that he would accept the offer that the Crusaders made him, but I am willing enough to not write off a mans chances to prove a doubted wrong.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by flankertye Thu 18 Aug 2011, 4:43 pm

Cymroglan wrote:
flankertye wrote:Think you'd have to get out of the pool to even get near playing New Zealand mate Wink

Are you not aware who is in the same group as Wales ?

Yep.... its deffo not New Zealand.

flankertye

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Thu 18 Aug 2011, 4:45 pm

But you are aware that Fiji and Samoa do the Haka

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by flankertye Thu 18 Aug 2011, 4:48 pm

Cymroglan wrote:But you are aware that Fiji and Samoa do the Haka
I knew they did a war dance, wasn't sure if it was recognised as Haka or not.
Thanks for clearing it up.

flankertye

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Thu 18 Aug 2011, 5:40 pm

one positive is powell is quite good at running into people and going forward compared to RJ (althought powell lacks a brain at least he makes yards)

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 18 Aug 2011, 6:04 pm

All in all though, and I think much more interesting, is that there are some exciting selections in this team.

I am really looking forward to seeing how Tavis knoyle and Hook go, looking forward to halfpenny and Byrne trying prove a point.

The front five looks good, great to see adam jones and Richard Hibbard back. Let's hope they add the impetus we were short on at the set piece over the last two weekends.

Martyn Williams deserves a chance to prove his value as does the very exciting youngster Justin Tuoeric off the bench.

I hope the boys play some fluid rugby, move the big Argie pack around a bit hopefully tiring them out and opening the game up a bit.

Last edited by maestegmafia on Thu 18 Aug 2011, 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Thu 18 Aug 2011, 6:15 pm

Sad news but it's a chance for Powell, he is a huge bloke and a big ball carrier, people were saying Wales back row lacked a ball carrier now it has one, and Andy needs a big game, lets hope he takes it. A lot of the Wales fringe players will be lucky if they make it, so expect Powell to bust a gut on Saturday.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 19 Aug 2011, 8:52 am

maestegmafia wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:Bennett Powell and Thomas all in the same team arrrrrggggghhhhh

Didn't you say along with many others how well you thought Bennett had played in the last two games, one poster even stated how they were happy to see Bennett come on at half time and sure up the team.

Maybe this should be taken into consideration before typing statements like the above???

With all due respect the players above have taken a slating that is more often than not unjustified. Although to be fair I do have serious doubts on Powells ability and was hoping that he would accept the offer that the Crusaders made him, but I am willing enough to not write off a mans chances to prove a doubted wrong.

mm,

I did (through gritted teeth) say Bennett had played well but that doesn't mean I think he is our best option. He has 50+ caps I think and for all bar the last two games he has been awful at the best.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 19 Aug 2011, 8:58 am

Powell, Lydiate and Williams will be interesting and we need to see how they go as a unit. Bennett has done well the past 2 games so at least he has deserved his place on the bench. B nice to see Hibbard take it up although I'm fearing another injury here. Burns isn't ready and may never be IMO

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Fri 19 Aug 2011, 11:16 am

Johnathon anonymous has to go to Nz. Who else i's going to do the music on the bus!!! 66 caps for a very average player. Unbelievable!
Gatland has his golden boys and personally I think he cant do without them. Not in rugby terms, but I think they rotate who rooms with warren at the vale. I can just see JT and warren tucked up under the covers, with JT deleting his match stats from warren's laptop!!! Just imagine the conversations Mcbride and Bennett have. 3 brain cells between them and 1 of them is on the blink!!
You have to wonder what the likes of peel and popham ever did. When the likes of cooper, anonymous, Powell and sideways jones just keep on getting chance after chance.
I thought we'd seen the end of these useless lot and he'd bring cooper out of retirement, before he'd pick Peel
Stubborn.

Last edited by manofgwent on Fri 19 Aug 2011, 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by Turkster Fri 19 Aug 2011, 11:43 am

and Charteris, don't forget him, God knows how he gets near the squad. Headscratch

Turkster

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Fri 19 Aug 2011, 11:45 am

Turkster wrote:and Charteris, don't forget him, God knows how he gets near the squad. Headscratch

and that Sam Warburton boy, terrible. laughing

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Turkster Fri 19 Aug 2011, 11:49 am

Comfort wrote:
Turkster wrote:and Charteris, don't forget him, God knows how he gets near the squad. Headscratch

and that Sam Warburton boy, terrible. laughing

you think Charteris is as good as Warbuton? what have you been drinking? he's 6'10" and still can't catch the ball in a lineout, he does nothing else and seems to be there to add ballast in the scrum, it's weird how you can equate him to someone who is fast becoming the best openside in the NH. Erm

Turkster

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 19 Aug 2011, 11:53 am

manofgwent wrote:Johnathon anonymous has to go to Nz. Who else i's going to do the music on the bus!!! 66 caps for a very average player. Unbelievable!
Gatland has his golden boys and personally I think he cant do without them. Not in rugby terms, but I think they rotate who rooms with warren at the vale. I can just see JT and warren tucked up under the covers, with JT deleting his match stats from warren's laptop!!! Just imagine the conversations Mcbride and Bennett have. 3 brain cells between them and 1 of them is on the blink!!
You have to wonder what the likes of peel and popham ever did. When the likes of cooper, anonymous, Powell and sideways jones just keep on getting chance after chance.
I thought we'd seen the end of these useless lot and he'd bring cooper out of retirement, before he'd pick Peel
Stubborn.

Thats a bit of overkill mate...!

Powell deserves a chance as does JT. THey have both played well previously. Just look at how wrong all the internet pundits on here have been proved by Bennetts recent form.

Lets hope Gatland and his clever coaches have done equally good work on JT and Powell and they surprise us all.

If they aren't good enough, they wont go...!

We have a very good squad on the showing of the last two games, I would also say that all seems to be going to plan. But it is well worth Gatland selecting a few all-so-ran players to see whether they can do it.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Turkster Fri 19 Aug 2011, 11:57 am

over the top yes, but in a way he's right though, how many chances can JT get when Delve gets none?

Turkster

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Fri 19 Aug 2011, 12:02 pm

Turkster wrote:you think Charteris is as good as Warbuton? what have you been drinking? he's 6'10" and still can't catch the ball in a lineout, he does nothing else and seems to be there to add ballast in the scrum, it's weird how you can equate him to someone who is fast becoming the best openside in the NH. Erm

Not at all, but to rubbish charteris seems to be the 'in' thing I dont get. He was excellant on the weekend (lineout apart and to be fair the whole pack was pretty limp there), and he is not used anywhere near well enough in the lineout internationally for my liking. He's 6'10, slap him at the front and throw high if you need ball. His defensive work is excellant and I'd have liked to see him paired with B Davies this wknd, that is potentially our strongest 2nd row to me.

JT must have one hell of an i-pod selection. notworthy

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Turkster Fri 19 Aug 2011, 12:07 pm

I reckon if Wyn-Jones gets back to his best Charteris won't get near the team, his only saving grace is that Wales have got no other 2nd rows near international standard.

Turkster

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 19 Aug 2011, 12:10 pm

Turkster wrote:over the top yes, but in a way he's right though, how many chances can JT get when Delve gets none?

Delve has missed pretty much 90% of the build up training this World cup squad have already completed. If he had Welsh international ambitions he should have made the commitment to the team.

I am sure we would all like to see as many fit and on form players eligible for selection.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by TrailApe Fri 19 Aug 2011, 12:12 pm

Damn, I've been sniggering quietly to myself every time I read Mike Tindall will be in the England world cup squad, and now it looks as if Wales's equivalent Jonathon Thomas may go too, my sniggering has turned to soft whimpering instead

Turkster - I feel your pain..........................
TrailApe
TrailApe

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Fri 19 Aug 2011, 12:13 pm

Isn't 66 caps enough to see that JT is not up to it. He's played 8, 6 and 2nd row. Even the O's don't know his best position and at the age of 29, someone should have some idea.
The reasons to be optimistic about Wales are all in the crop of talent coming through. Why isn't turnbull getting a start? I've been impressed with him.
I'm glad to see knoyle start, because neither him or Williams has started before for Wales, so if Phillips gets a knock, we'd have very little experience in those two.
On charteris. We have 3 (4 if you count sideways) 2nd rows. Theyre all pretty equal in there own ways. Nome of them are great. They are 3 decent players and charteris is certainly no worse than the juggler Bradley Davies or AWJ. No worse. His work around the field is excellent as is his tackling. He was one of wales' best players last week.

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 19 Aug 2011, 12:14 pm

I find some of these posts a little over the top - JT had a good start to his international career and has been a bit part player over the past 2 years - The fact that he has just been called up suggests he is way down the pecking order. Charteris has fronted up well for me and needs some more game time at this level. When we throw to him at the front it's often secure which is rare for us but I would still like to see some improvement. Powell is very fortunate and isn't consistent enough, like JT he is down the pecking order. Bennett has shown well in 2 games and in fact has played a significant role. We are short in this area so not many options although I'm a great Ken Owens fan. Even Ryan was starting to show some form. Maybe the biggest concern could come at 7 where Nuggett is there on reputation with a couple of young players looking to get in ahead of him. If Nuggett underperforms thats it for me. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next