The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gwent Dragons 2015/16 thread

+28
Steffan
munkian
George Carlin
prop_lyd
LordDowlais
Stone Motif
alive555
Dolphin Ziggler
Jhamer25
Coleman
Sgt_Pooly
Biltong
Cardiff Dave
GavinDragon
Allty
wayne
VinceWLB
maestegmafia
profitius
Artful_Dodger
ME-109
Luckless Pedestrian
glamorganalun
dragon999
bedfordwelsh
ScarletSpiderman
The Saint
dragon4life
32 posters

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

Gwent Dragons 2015/16 thread - Page 10 Empty Gwent Dragons 2015/16 thread

Post by dragon4life Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:17 am

First topic message reminder :

3 in Wales squad that would have been 4 if tyler was fit

Last edited by dragon4life on Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total

dragon4life

Back to top Go down

Gwent Dragons 2015/16 thread - Page 10 Empty Re: Gwent Dragons 2015/16 thread

Post by The Saint Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:38 pm

Our defence in the midfield is a bit poor when not playing off phase play, expected I guess when you got young guys. It happened against Ulster and Leinster - the poor defensive link in both those games was Jack Dixon, he needs to work on it. Morgan to an extent too, but he, along with Amos is our most talented player.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:39 pm

Stone Motif wrote:
The Saint wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:
The Saint wrote:Benjamin, just no
Laugh Are you mental? Quality player

Mediocre. He had a cameo off the bench when our forwards started to dominate the game, happened to be in the right place at the right time - it's amazing how people let things like that go to their heads. Guys like Tips and Navidi are small No.7s. Benjamin is much smaller than these guys, he looked about the same size as Jon Evans and just gets smashed off rucks. Like others have pointed out Griffiths looks like he could be a very good player and has all the attributes. He'll be bulking up over the next couple of seasons too so I hope we invest in him.
That's  the dumbest piece  of analysis I'very read in many a long day

Oh Christ you're boring me already. Go and take another vacation.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:48 pm

I think he has had some very good games of late, is he just in a rich vein, will he be able to sustain it who knows but at present he's going very well.

Cudd doesn't look the biggest when you see him but his defence is outstanding so size or lack of it shouldn't be the only bench mark.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:51 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:I think he has had some very good games of late, is he just in a rich vein, will he be able to sustain it who knows but at present he's going very well.

Cudd doesn't look the biggest when you see him but his defence is outstanding so size or lack of it shouldn't be the only bench mark.

Hey, if you have build of David Pocock (like Cudd does) then surely you can't be too small? Cudd and Griffiths are great options for 7, I hope they and Lewis Evans squeeze Benj back out next season as they're quite clearly better.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:57 pm

You got to give these guys their chance though and at the moment Benjamin is taking his chances with both hands. I have always been an Evans fan and a backrow of him Faletau and Cudd would seem a great combo but again if Benjamin is performing and keeping players out then fair play to him.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:57 pm

The Saint wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:I think he has had some very good games of late, is he just in a rich vein, will he be able to sustain it who knows but at present he's going very well.

Hey, if you have build of David Pocock (like Cudd does) then surely you can't be too small? Cudd and Griffiths are great options for 7, I hope they and Lewis Evans squeeze Benj back out next season as they're quite clearly better.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:02 pm

The Saint wrote:

Hey, if you have build of David Pocock (like Cudd does) then surely you can't be too small? Cudd and Griffiths are great options for 7, I hope they and Lewis Evans squeeze Benj back out next sea Laugh son as they're quite clearly better.
He reckons Jack Dixon is the weak Link in our midfield defence and now Cudd is David Pocock? Fair play comedy hour never stops with Y Sant.

Long may James Benjamin prove you wrong, fan boys who write off young players sicken me.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:06 pm

I am not in the habit of slating other views as we are all entitled to them and it's a forum after all.

If Saint thinks Dixon is a weak link that's his choice, it's not one I agree with but then who am I to claim being an expert. Slightly of topic but I would have had Delve as Wales No8 and captain for years now but that's my opinion and I know loads don't agree but I don't care.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:15 pm

Stone Motif wrote:
The Saint wrote:

Hey, if you have build of David Pocock (like Cudd does) then surely you can't be too small? Cudd and Griffiths are great options for 7, I hope they and Lewis Evans squeeze Benj back out next sea Laugh son as they're quite clearly better.
He reckons Jack Dixon is the weak Link in our midfield defence and now Cudd is David Pocock? Fair play comedy hour never stops with Y Sant.

Long may James Benjamin prove you wrong, fan boys who write off young players sicken me.

Learn to read because I never said that. And yes, I even pointed out the games where he's been the weak link. What have you got to counter these facts other than turd posts? Probably nothing as per. vomit

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:18 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:I am not in the habit of slating other views as we are all entitled to them and it's a forum after all.

If Saint thinks Dixon is a weak link that's his choice, it's not one I agree with but then who am I to claim being an expert.  Slightly of topic but I would have had Delve as Wales No8 and captain for years now but that's my opinion and I know loads don't agree but I don't care.

That is rather extreme though.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:22 pm

Saint,

To me its not though I have always been a huge fan of his and rated him that high but like I said its my opinion and one I know not many agree with. Same as I would have started James over Jenkins for the past year and half now but that's another topic lol.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:16 am

Should this now be titled Gwent Dragons 2014/15 thread ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:06 am

Has it changed?

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:13 am

GavinDragon wrote:Has it changed?

Well the date has. Whistle

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:29 pm

The Saint wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:
The Saint wrote:

Learn to read because I never said that. And yes, I even pointed out the games where he's been the weak link. What have you got to counter these facts other than turd posts? Probably nothing as per. vomit
What have I got to counter it? Your favourite fly half Doris Jones (who incidentally hasn'the been too bad overall either of late), who whilst game is a revolving door nary an inside centre in the league wouldn't now and again get caught in two minds playing alongside, especially I ally when he knows a stepper like Ben Te'o is on his way down the channel. If you actually went to a game or three occasionally you might see this,and stop giving the youngsters who'be been delivering the goods big time a bad name.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:22 am

Stone Motif wrote:
The Saint wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:
The Saint wrote:

What have I got to counter it? Your favourite fly half Doris Jones (who incidentally hasn'the been too bad overall either of late), who whilst game is a revolving door nary an inside centre in the league wouldn't now and again get caught in two minds playing alongside, especially I ally when he knows a stepper like Ben Te'o is on his way down the channel. If you actually went to a game or three occasionally you might see this,and stop giving the youngsters who'be been delivering the goods big time a bad name.

Barely an ounce of sense in that post. Try again? What's going to the game got to do with me seeing whatever it is only you can see? I'm surprised if you've been to a game or three as it's not often you set foot outside of Cross Keys... I've formed my own opinion based on observation over a number of games and I don't give a feic if you don't like it. If you don't then I suggest you stay well away from this site because it's not often that people agree on here.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:39 am

Risca Rev wrote:Dragons: J Tovey, T Prydie, T Morgan, J Dixon, H Amos, D Jones, J Evans, B Harris, R Thomas (captain), D Way, J Thomas, C Hill, N Crosswell, N Cudd, T Faletau. Replacements: R Buckley, P Price, L Fairbrother, M Screech, J Benjamin, L Jones, A Hewitt, GR Jones.

Firstly it's a huge shout playing a tighthead at 1 against a pretty good scrum. Secondly, I don't get why Dorian has been given another chance at ten again.

I was looking forward to this, but it's funny what a team selection can do.

Our team, quoted from the match thread. It seems I'm not the only one who isn't convinced by another one of the coaches sons. Now just waiting on Stone to have a fit.

Gwent Dragons 2015/16 thread - Page 10 1347041234

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:37 am

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/12894753.Newport_Gwent_Dragons_and_Scarlets_in_tug_of_war_to_sign_Cross_Keys__Jack_Condy/

hope we nab him

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:20 pm

GavinDragon wrote:http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/12894753.Newport_Gwent_Dragons_and_Scarlets_in_tug_of_war_to_sign_Cross_Keys__Jack_Condy/

hope we nab him

If he's that good, why was he not in the recent Wales U20 team? We provided two other starters to that team, both aged 18-19. They were Griffths (7) and Keddie, (I think he was a 6/8).

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:28 am

Saint I don't know but not every player does well at every age grade. I went to watch Penalta vs Aberavon in the WRU final last season and he looked very good, big, athletic and a carrier.

TBH I am happy we are looking at him. In years gone by we would have just let players go without even looking at them first

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:29 am

The Saint wrote:
GavinDragon wrote:http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/12894753.Newport_Gwent_Dragons_and_Scarlets_in_tug_of_war_to_sign_Cross_Keys__Jack_Condy/

hope we nab him

If he's that good, why was he not in the recent Wales U20 team? We provided two other starters to that team, both aged 18-19. They were Griffths (7) and Keddie, (I think he was a 6/8).

There's only a finite number of places in a squad. The fact he missed out doesn't mean he's no good. But ultimately we shouldn't be signing players just to stop another region getting them. We've benefited from Scarlets surplus before (Cudd, Dan Evans) so if we don't need him, we should let him go. Faletau's going to be away with Wales even more than usual next season, but Crosswell and Lewis Evans can both play number 8, and we'll also have Ed Jackson from Wasps.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:20 am

At that level though, considering we don't that many players in Wales, you'd think he might've been in. But if the Scarlets can get him more first team exposure then he should go there. We have a few options ahead of him going into next season.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:49 am

I'd be more annoyed if we let Scott Matthews go.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:23 am

Lee Byrne has been forced into retirement due to injury:-

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/32427471

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by prop_lyd Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:36 am

Bit hopeful here but has anyone bought tickets for the challenge cup final that they don't want anymore?? Anyone fancy helping a Glos fan living in Rogerstone?!?!
prop_lyd
prop_lyd

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:52 am

Ask some Edinburgh fans Lyd. I believe there was one or two who had a ticket, yet couldn't go.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by prop_lyd Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:09 am

ok cheers!!
prop_lyd
prop_lyd

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:15 pm

Question for the Newport RFC fans on here.

Looking at the Prem table Newport are currently bottom now if I am getting this right they will have to play off against the winners on the Welsh Championship, currently being led by Bargoed.

If Newport got relegated as did Swansea next year will this have an affect on the Region and any players they may want to use as I know they didn't use Ebbw players when we were outside the Premiership.

bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:36 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Question for the Newport RFC fans on here.

Looking at the Prem table Newport are currently bottom now if I am getting this right they will have to play off against the winners on the Welsh Championship, currently being led by Bargoed.

If Newport got relegated as did Swansea next year will this have an affect on the Region and any players they may want to use as I know they didn't use Ebbw players when we were outside the Premiership.

Bedford, if I've heard right Bargoed are the likely winners but do not have the facilities to get promoted, so Newport dodge a bullet. But hypothetically, if they went down then no I wouldn't expect them to get any players. I wouldn't want regional ply ayers playing in the 3rd tier. Even though that might hurt my team getting back into the prem.

Newport are woeful. They have been for a few years. Not sure how Sven Cronk lasted so long. They've been slowly getting worse and worse until now. The only saving grace (a tiny one) is that it goes to show that the Dragons and Newport RFC are not that closely entwined, that they are not the main recipients of the Dragons players, when they share the same home (an accusation thrown about in the past). If that were the case I think they'd be doing a lot better. Cross Keys seem to get the better share of regional players, and rightly so as they've made the B&I cup.

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:48 pm

Yeah Bargoed seem to be out in front few games in hand and a points lead over Swansea. Wasn't aware of their lack of facilities so guess Newport could as you say dodge a bullet.

Ebbw are leading the charge for Gwent this year but Keys seem to have the voodoo over us and we can't seem to beat them but I would like to see Ebbw get a crack at the B&I next year.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:53 pm

Yes, deffo. Ebbw are doing great this year. Should definitely get a B&I shot. That's how it should work.

What's behind they're revival, in your opinion? Promoted and then straight to the top (nearly of the prem). Or to put it another way, how did they get relegated the other year?! Is it new players? Cash injection?

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:05 pm

Griff wrote:Yes, deffo. Ebbw are doing great this year. Should definitely get a B&I shot. That's how it should work.

What's behind they're revival, in your opinion? Promoted and then straight to the top (nearly of the prem). Or to put it another way, how did they get relegated the other year?! Is it new players? Cash injection?

I think them and Keys will play off for the B&I slot I think?

As for the revival well talking to people in the club and friends family etc they have just knuckled down and got on with it, they have a good core of players that have been in or around the club for a while and in Hudd the 2nd row and captain they have a real go to type character/leader.

We have been lucky enough to get a home draw in the Semi Final play off against Keys so lets hope we can get that monkey off the back so to speak but then the final is against Ponty at Sardis and they are still a step ahead of the rest of the league but here's hoping.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:09 pm

Gibson and Cunliffe, both Newport boys born and bred, are on their way out from Ebbw and joining Newport. I was in school with Spencer, he's always been a big lad but wasted his talent. Are these guys not highly value by the steelmen?

Also the issue you speak of with relegation, would not be an issue in a ringfenced, expanded Premership, like I've been calling for...

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:09 pm

But to go from relegation (so not able to compete with the Welsh Prem sides), to promotion and then better than the vast majority in such a short time - that's phenomenal! Just wondered if you'd bought a few players in or somthing? Or just got rid of the poor players that got you relegated?

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:11 pm

Meyer played centre for us last night and had another cracking game, really think the Dragons should give him some more game time.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:15 pm

Cunliffe has been with us for a fair few year and was a regular up until season or two ago. Griff again from what I can remember weren't allowed promotion due to facilities and restructure of the leagues.

We had been Champions for the past 4 seasons in various guises Championship Winners 2012-13 and 2013-14 and then Division 1 East Champions 2011-12 and 2010-11.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon4life Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:23 pm

Good to see Garret get a game today looked solid, hope he gets more game time and turns out like Nicky Smith

dragon4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:24 pm

You weren't out of the Prem that long were you? 4 years?! Jeez! Honestly, I thought we were talking 1 year. To be honest (and as it shows) I look out for Newport results and glance at the table, but that's about it. Bad I know. But I really don't keep up with the Prem much, or Newport even, which is another reason that I get annoyed when people say Dragons = Newport RFC. If it did then I'd know everything about them!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:46 pm

On another note, I've just read that Ieuan Jones, formerly of the Dragons who left to join the Ospreys, has been signed by Cross Keys. Should never have left IMO, but I understand the lure of the HC and silverware. However, surprised that he didn't come back to the Dragons directly. Maybe not interested himself? Dragons not interested? Player not good enough now?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:57 pm

Bargoed's ground isn't up to standard. They should've done something sooner, to gain an alternative given they were always close behind Ebbw. I don't buy into the Grade A rubbish, as it stopped Ebbw taking their rightful place back after walking the league for three years or whatever.

I know the new Newport forward's coach and I rate him. Hope he can step up.

They will play off for the B and I (I reckon) as they did this season at the start.

Keys don't have the voodoo over Ebbw. It's 1-1. One away win each.

No Ieuan jones shouldn't have left, nor should he walk straight into the dragons squad. Prove his worth at crosskeys and then he can progress up again.

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:23 am

Griff/Rev,

Yeah it 4 seasons agree with both of you about Jones, he had few good cameos for us then went to the Blues when they got rid of Copeland didn't he? Hoping for more regular 1st team rugby but it hasn't worked out.

We have never had a good record against Keys even going back years they always seemed to be one team we struggled against. Recent results are 2-1 for Keys but then we hadn't played them for a few years.

With home advantage I hope we can beat them in the play off and as mentioned earlier would love to see us have a crack at the B&I. Not sure if the League play off will double up as the B&I play off as well.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:44 am

Sorry yes, meant Blues not Ospreys!

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:45 am

He was then loaned to the Os though so half right Wink
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:02 am

Jack Condy's signed for the Scarlets:

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/dragons/12917980.Dragons_lose_out_to_Scarlets_over_Cross_Keys_ace_Jack_Condy/

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:45 pm

We're used to the other regions nicking our back-row players anyway... Good luck to him.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:35 am

It's like I said before, we're covered at number eight - and we shouldn't / can't afford to sign a player just to stop another region signing him.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon May 04, 2015 2:59 am

Hello, Best Fans In Wales.

Your finest banter is required please:
https://www.606v2.com/t58813-newport-gwent-dragons-v-edinburgh-rugby-8-may
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri May 08, 2015 6:08 pm

So, is it possible to finish 7th in the league? That play-off would surely be something to go for.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 08, 2015 7:05 pm

No. We are still 7 behind embra and won't get anything in munster.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri May 08, 2015 7:42 pm

Ah didn't realise. Guess it will be them, playing Gloucester again?

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next