The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gwent Dragons 2015/16 thread

+28
Steffan
munkian
George Carlin
prop_lyd
LordDowlais
Stone Motif
alive555
Dolphin Ziggler
Jhamer25
Coleman
Sgt_Pooly
Biltong
Cardiff Dave
GavinDragon
Allty
wayne
VinceWLB
maestegmafia
profitius
Artful_Dodger
ME-109
Luckless Pedestrian
glamorganalun
dragon999
bedfordwelsh
ScarletSpiderman
The Saint
dragon4life
32 posters

Page 6 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Go down

Gwent Dragons 2015/16 thread - Page 6 Empty Gwent Dragons 2015/16 thread

Post by dragon4life Tue 21 Oct 2014, 4:17 pm

First topic message reminder :

3 in Wales squad that would have been 4 if tyler was fit

Last edited by dragon4life on Wed 17 Jun 2015, 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

dragon4life

Back to top Go down

Gwent Dragons 2015/16 thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Gwent Dragons 2015/16 thread

Post by GavinDragon Tue 27 Jan 2015, 6:24 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:When I am home I try and time it so that Ebbw and Dragons have a home game then I can go and watch both.  There is still a lot of bitterness towards the Dragons/Regions on the terraces by people of my generation though the pre season friendly against the Saints built some bridges.

Talking to lads in the club house and friends/family etc they get annoyed that some of the boys aren't getting recognised by the Dragons but then as you said on the flip side they are glad they aren't as that way the coaches are able to select from a settled squad.

This might cheer them up, Bedford:

'Ebbw Vale centre Carl Meyer will feature for Newport Gwent Dragons in their LV= Cup clash against Exeter on Sunday as the region bolster their midfield ranks.

The South African has been training with the Dragons and is poised for a debut against the Chiefs at Rodney Parade.'

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/dragons/11749522.Dragons_to_have_a_look_at_Ebbw_centre_Carl_Meyer_in_LV__Cup/

We've had one or two and I know Kingsley still has strong links with Ebbw Vale and the club itself, the Saints game was well supported better than most expected and I hope its not just a one off.

I hope it's not a one off, too.

I went up for it with the mrs and boy and really enjoyed it. Thought it was a success also and was very dissapointed to see such a negative write up in the argus from Kirwin.

I spend alot of time on Twitter reading guff from those who are only interested in furthering the standing of Newport, so its good to come on here and see some pro-regionalists for a change OK

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 27 Jan 2015, 8:21 am

GD,

I still think a lot of it is a generation issue, I have friends and family (my brother for one) who won't go anywhere near RP or have anything to do with the Dragons and it's the same with Ponty and the Blues.

There are some who have albeit slowly embraced the Dragons but that's a lot to do with young kids/grand kids in the family wanting to go or the Dragons do good work in the area.

A very good friend had to go to RP through gritted teeth last season because his grandson plays for RTBs Under somethings and they were mascots for one of the home games. Needless to say he had some fair stick of the other lads and grudgingly did admit that it was 'ok' and that the kids were well looked after by the Dragons.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Tue 27 Jan 2015, 11:35 pm

GavinDragon wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:When I am home I try and time it so that Ebbw and Dragons have a home game then I can go and watch both.  There is still a lot of bitterness towards the Dragons/Regions on the terraces by people of my generation though the pre season friendly against the Saints built some bridges.

Talking to lads in the club house and friends/family etc they get annoyed that some of the boys aren't getting recognised by the Dragons but then as you said on the flip side they are glad they aren't as that way the coaches are able to select from a settled squad.

'Ebbw Vale centre Carl Meyer will feature for Newport Gwent Dragons in their LV= Cup clash against Exeter on Sunday as the region bolster their midfield ranks.

The South African has been training with the Dragons and is poised for a debut against the Chiefs at Rodney Parade.'

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/dragons/11749522.Dragons_to_have_a_look_at_Ebbw_centre_Carl_Meyer_in_LV__Cup/

We've had one or two and I know Kingsley still has strong links with Ebbw Vale and the club itself, the Saints game was well supported better than most expected and I hope its not just a one off.

I went up for it with the mrs and boy and really enjoyed it. Thought it was a success also and was very dissapointed to see such a negative write up in the argus from Kirwin.

I spend alot of time on Twitter reading guff from those who are only interested in furthering the standing of Newport, so its good to come on here and see some pro-regionalists for a change OK

But regionalism is a crock though.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Tue 27 Jan 2015, 11:41 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:GD,

I still think a lot of it is a generation issue,

Kids being kids will always ask the awkward questions. They're inquisitive and want to know why this, why that and what's gone on before, so they can make sense of it all. Good on them.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 28 Jan 2015, 5:18 am

Cardiff Dave wrote:
GavinDragon wrote:I spend alot of time on Twitter reading guff from those who are only interested in furthering the standing of Newport, so its good to come on here and see some pro-regionalists for a change OK

Just because you haven't embraced it doesn't mean others haven't.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 28 Jan 2015, 8:17 am

Cardiff Dave wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:GD,

I still think a lot of it is a generation issue,

Kids being kids will always ask the awkward questions. They're inquisitive and want to know why this, why that and what's gone on before, so they can make sense of it all. Good on them.

Kids will also want to go and see the Welsh Internationals play and for that they have to go to a Region.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 28 Jan 2015, 8:31 am

Cardiff Dave wrote:
GavinDragon wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:

So is Formula 1, in my opinion, but it's still allowed to carry on!

So is Formula 1, in my opinion, but they still allow that to carry on!

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon999 Wed 28 Jan 2015, 4:18 pm

Regionalism is great! - As long as Newport is paying the bill,would be nice if the "region" put it's money where it's mouth is! - FAT CHANCE

dragon999

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed 28 Jan 2015, 5:32 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
GavinDragon wrote:I spend alot of time on Twitter reading guff from those who are only interested in furthering the standing of Newport, so its good to come on here and see some pro-regionalists for a change OK

Just because you haven't embraced it doesn't mean others haven't.

Not sure what you mean.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed 28 Jan 2015, 5:42 pm

Griff wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

Should reintroduce the gear stick, IMHO. And less of the computer controlled stuff might help.
Anyway, F1 doesn't seem to have a problem filling their venues at top dollar prices.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 28 Jan 2015, 5:51 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
Griff wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

Should reintroduce the gear stick, IMHO. And less of the computer controlled stuff might help.
Anyway, F1 doesn't seem to have a problem filling their venues at top dollar prices.

Yeah, I know. Just trying to think of an example of something I don't like. You don't like regional rugby. Doesn't mean it's wrong, IMO obvs.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed 28 Jan 2015, 6:43 pm

Griff wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
Griff wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

Yeah, I know. Just trying to think of an example of something I don't like. You don't like regional rugby. Doesn't mean it's wrong, IMO obvs.

We don't have regional rugby though. Some continue to pretend we do, but in reality we don't. So yes it is wrong. Bonkers actually. Cardiff RFC are still running the show at CAP. Nobody else. That's the way it was set up way back in 2003 and btw, I had nothing to do with it, so don't blame me.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Wed 28 Jan 2015, 6:57 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
Griff wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
Griff wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

We don't have regional rugby though. Some continue to pretend we do, but in reality we don't. So yes it is wrong. Bonkers actually. Cardiff RFC are still running the show at CAP. Nobody else. That's the way it was set up way back in 2003 and btw, I had nothing to do with it, so don't blame me.

It's your fault tho.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 28 Jan 2015, 7:04 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
Griff wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
Griff wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

Eh?! Why would I blame you??? Odd comment.

Anyway, call it what you want. 'The thing that we have where a team is meant to cover a larger geographical area than the town in which it plays' - doesn't quite roll of the tongue - that 'thing' that we've got you don't like. We get that. Others do like it. Let them like it. If you don't then ignore it, like I do with F1!

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed 28 Jan 2015, 7:10 pm

Griff wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
Griff wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
Griff wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

Eh?! Why would I blame you??? Odd comment.

Anyway, call it what you want.  'The thing that we have where a team is meant to cover a larger geographical area than the town in which it plays' - doesn't quite roll of the tongue - that 'thing' that we've got you don't like. We get that. Others do like it. Let them like it. If you don't then ignore it, like I do with F1!

Call it, what it is would be better I reckon. End the aggro. A spade is a spade, as they say.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed 28 Jan 2015, 7:13 pm

The Saint wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
Griff wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
Griff wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

It's your fault tho.

Of course. Goes without saying really.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed 28 Jan 2015, 7:31 pm

From Twitter today;
"I just think it would be more honest to have Cardiff and Newport. But that's just me."

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 28 Jan 2015, 7:52 pm

From Twitter today:

"Fockin ell can't believe I ate a peice of paper so I gained immunity in English becaue we was playing Big Brother/I'm a celebrity"

Just because something's on Twitter doesn't make it profound. That could be one of your own tweets, for all I know.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed 28 Jan 2015, 8:44 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:From Twitter today:

"Fockin ell can't believe I ate a peice of paper so I gained immunity in English becaue we was playing Big Brother/I'm a celebrity"

Just because something's on Twitter doesn't make it profound. That could be one of your own tweets, for all I know.

I don't tweet. Never have.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 28 Jan 2015, 8:47 pm

laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 28 Jan 2015, 8:48 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:

Whose tweet is it then?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed 28 Jan 2015, 8:59 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:

Whose tweet is it then?

https://twitter.com/simonrug/with_replies

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 28 Jan 2015, 9:11 pm

In other news the Dragons have announced that Stuart Davies, yes him off scrum v, will be our new Chief Exec. He hasn't quite got the business background that Gareh Davies had, or the experience. Seems to have good banter though, if that helps Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 28 Jan 2015, 9:12 pm

Also, why are we using this 2013/14 thread. I'm sure I saw a 2014/15 one at the start of the season???!

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed 28 Jan 2015, 9:27 pm

Griff wrote:In other news the Dragons have announced that Stuart Davies, yes him off scrum v, will be our new Chief Exec. He hasn't quite got the business background that Gareh Davies had, or the experience. Seems to have good banter though, if that helps Wink

Kingsley been on there too mind ewe. I maybe imagining it, but have any other reps from the other 3 appeared on BBC ScrumV recently?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 28 Jan 2015, 9:34 pm

i wouldn't expect Kingsley to get the chief exec job either. For me they seem to have replaced a fair well respected and experienced CEO who has held some pretty high positions in big organisations with a bloke off scrum V (sorry Stuart!). Anyone know about his credentials?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 28 Jan 2015, 9:41 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

Whose tweet is it then?

That's not showing anything to me, bar Simon Thomas' profile.

Ah, I see it now. Difficult to get the context from that. It's also very ignorant to the work Dragons do around the region.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 28 Jan 2015, 9:47 pm

Griff wrote:Also, why are we using this 2013/14 thread. I'm sure I saw a 2014/15 one at the start of the season???!

Because the new one ran past 20 pages, I assume.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 28 Jan 2015, 9:50 pm

Nope, this one ran past 20 pages and a new one was started. 2014/15 is only 97 posts deep!

https://www.606v2.com/t54499-gwent-dragons-14-15?highlight=Dragons

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Thu 29 Jan 2015, 12:07 am

I never noticed tbh...

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 29 Jan 2015, 7:34 am

Griff wrote:Also, why are we using this 2013/14 thread. I'm sure I saw a 2014/15 one at the start of the season???!

Because last season was such a glorious one for the Dragons, especially the second half of it. Very Happy

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Thu 29 Jan 2015, 8:29 am

if I was a business owner of the Dragons I would be looking to increase our fan and player base by doing as much to entice people from around gwent, no one can argue against the business case for doing so if you want to grow, IMO the Newport fans who refuse to support regionalism have already stopped attending and only chant 'dragons' anyway so you are not going to offend or pee off them

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu 29 Jan 2015, 5:28 pm

Risca Rev wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

Whose tweet is it then?

That's not showing anything to me, bar Simon Thomas' profile.

Ah, I see it now. Difficult to get the context from that. It's also very ignorant to the work Dragons do around the region.

Yeah you'd need to read the conversation to get the context and I wouldn't call him ignorant as he knows the score.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu 29 Jan 2015, 5:44 pm

GavinDragon wrote:if I was a business owner of the Dragons I would be looking to increase our fan and player base by doing as much to entice people from around gwent, no one can argue against the business case for doing so if you want to grow, IMO the Newport fans who refuse to support regionalism have already stopped attending and only chant 'dragons' anyway so you are not going to offend or pee off them

They could try what the Bloos did and offer free coach travel to and from rugby clubs anywhere within the region.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 29 Jan 2015, 6:23 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
GavinDragon wrote:if I was a business owner of the Dragons I would be looking to increase our fan and player base by doing as much to entice people from around gwent, no one can argue against the business case for doing so if you want to grow, IMO the Newport fans who refuse to support regionalism have already stopped attending and only chant 'dragons' anyway so you are not going to offend or pee off them

They could try what the Bloos did and offer free coach travel to and from rugby clubs anywhere within the region.

Isn't there or wasn't there a bus running from Rogerstone into Newport because otherwise those taht wanted to travel down on the Ebbw line had to go into Cardiff then across.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu 29 Jan 2015, 6:45 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

Isn't there or wasn't there a bus running from Rogerstone into Newport because otherwise those taht wanted to travel down on the Ebbw line had to go into Cardiff then across.

No idea mun, but the Bloos offer was only taken up by one club IIRC. A waste of time, effort and money if you ask me and entirely predictable. IMHO, what would be best for the Cardiff and Newport based pro set ups is to target those in the immediate vicinity and maybe those near to and on the beaten track. Friday night and Sunday afters fixtures can be awkward to get to with regards to public transport.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 29 Jan 2015, 8:01 pm

The Dragons are doing a hell of a lot of work in the whole of Gwent and readily have coaching classes in the schools and a lot of the mascots/flag bearers for the games are from all over Gwent.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu 29 Jan 2015, 8:15 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:The Dragons are doing a hell of a lot of work in the whole of Gwent and readily have coaching classes in the schools and a lot of the mascots/flag bearers for the games are from all over Gwent.

All 4 do the same.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 29 Jan 2015, 8:20 pm

So why you saying they should concentrate on the immediate area when they are already doing work within the Region.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu 29 Jan 2015, 8:32 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:So why you saying they should concentrate on the immediate area when they are already doing work within the Region.

Coz the "immediate area" is very different to a WRU made up region.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 29 Jan 2015, 9:00 pm

Gwent though isn't a made up area and they do well in that area.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu 29 Jan 2015, 9:16 pm

I'm out.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Fri 30 Jan 2015, 9:06 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/31054126

I hope this is an additional player not a replacement....also think funds would have been better spent on either a ten or more front five players for depth

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon999 Fri 30 Jan 2015, 10:01 am

Looks like Richie is off then so a replacement is needed & a good signing at that!

dragon999

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Fri 30 Jan 2015, 10:19 am

dragon999 wrote:Looks like Richie is off then so a replacement is needed & a good signing at that!
Is that true about Richie, sad if it is, although this boy looks to be a good signing, you need competition to bring the best out of other players, them 2 with Evans could be a good battle.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 30 Jan 2015, 10:39 am

If true I would have rathered that we kept hold of Rees. Could do with additional props and another lock IMO. And possibly a fly-half.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon999 Fri 30 Jan 2015, 10:44 am

Writing has been on the wall with Richie for a while it seems - Lock,OH & prop will come in.

dragon999

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 30 Jan 2015, 10:48 am

dragon999 wrote:Writing has been on the wall with Richie for a while it seems - Lock,OH & prop will come in.

Are you supposing, or are you in the know? Is Stankovich expected to play for us next season? I believe he had retired from playing when he come to us Laugh.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon999 Fri 30 Jan 2015, 11:17 am

The Saint wrote:
dragon999 wrote:Writing has been on the wall with Richie for a while it seems - Lock,OH & prop will come in.

Are you supposing, or are you in the know? Is Stankovich expected to play for us next season? I believe he had retired from playing when he come to us Laugh.

A gentleman never tells Saint - watch this space!

dragon999

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 30 Jan 2015, 5:14 pm

I'm sure I read somewhere that Jon Evs is off too. I can't find it now.

Good signing this. Probably going to have to sign another 9 too, judging by the way Richie has been treated.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next