The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hearn Meets Haymon to Discuss the Future of Boxing: Satan's Spawn

+11
Rowley
TRUSSMAN66
Seanusarrilius
ONETWOFOREVER
22-2
TopHat24/7
Derbymanc
Ent
Coxy001
wheelchair1991
DDGO2
15 posters

Go down

Hearn Meets Haymon to Discuss the Future of Boxing: Satan's Spawn Empty Hearn Meets Haymon to Discuss the Future of Boxing: Satan's Spawn

Post by DDGO2 Thu 04 Dec 2014, 9:28 am

It's troubling to say the least.

Not since the days of Don King and Arum working together have I been so concerned for the future of boxing.

With these two we could be seeing all sorts of god awful matchups. Why? Well, here are some of my most major concerns:

1. Hearn wants to move into the American market. What this means is he wants to put the Rose's and Mitchell's of this world on awful cards stateside against guys that will club them half dead -- and he'll want to sell it as a big, meaningful fight. No one will care about these 90/10 certainties.

2. Haymon is in a war with GBP and TR. This means the likelihood of him matching his stable against anyone we've heard of is slimmer than a super models waistline.

3. Haymon and Hearn want leverage, not to establish top cards in prime areas of the States. This relationship is business driven, not sport driven. They'll work together in the sense that they'll plan how to manipulate big days for small fights: pitiful.

4. Al Haymon gave us Salka v Garcia -- Hearn gave us the Magnificent Seven -- what are these two capable of?

5. Neither of them know how to match make.

Thoughts appreciated posters.

DDGO2

Back to top Go down

Hearn Meets Haymon to Discuss the Future of Boxing: Satan's Spawn Empty Re: Hearn Meets Haymon to Discuss the Future of Boxing: Satan's Spawn

Post by wheelchair1991 Thu 04 Dec 2014, 9:47 am

I think its good if they work together after all i want to see Brook v Khan etc so i think its good

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Hearn Meets Haymon to Discuss the Future of Boxing: Satan's Spawn Empty Re: Hearn Meets Haymon to Discuss the Future of Boxing: Satan's Spawn

Post by DDGO2 Thu 04 Dec 2014, 9:49 am

who else can they deliver?

DDGO2

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Thu 04 Dec 2014, 9:52 am

Not sure what the problem is emore? Two promoters working together means we don't have these silly standoffs of fighters not fighting because who they're promoted by.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Thu 04 Dec 2014, 9:53 am

Thought magnificent 7 was a warren card.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Thu 04 Dec 2014, 10:47 am

Same here ENT, wasn't the magnificent 7 the last big one he did on sky (sure Enzo Mac was on it???)

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 04 Dec 2014, 10:55 am

Second that.

Pretty sure I went to a Mag-7 Warren card at Wembley Arena a few years back. Clev 'headling' and I think Kevin Mitchell (when he was decent) was on the undercard.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 04 Dec 2014, 10:57 am

Just checked, this was the card:

Wembley Arena, Wembley, London, United Kingdom view

Kevin Mitchell W Ignacio Mendoza KO 2 12x3

Nathan Cleverly W Antonio Brancalion TKO 5 12x3

Dereck Chisora W Carl Baker TKO 2 10x3

Jamie Cox W Michael Frontin PTS 8 8x3

James DeGale W Matthew Barr TKO 2 6x3

Frankie Gavin W Peter McDonagh PTS 6 6x3

Vinny Mitchell L Jon Baguley TKO 4 6x3

Liam Walsh W Sid Razak TKO 4 6x3

Ryan Walsh W Ian Bailey PTS 6 6x3

Michael Walsh W Najah Ali TKO 3 6x3

George Michael Carman W Matt Seawright PTS 4 4x3

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by 22-2 Thu 04 Dec 2014, 11:09 am

As if by magic, I've taken a bit of a disliking to Eddie Hearn, I hope it passes because for the most part, I thought he was alright. With the Bellew-Cleverly card being so terrible, he has kind of shown what his priorities are...

I don't knock anyone for trying to make money but it seems Eddie is as hard-wired to money grabbing as Frank Warren is, which is sad

22-2

Back to top Go down

Post by 22-2 Thu 04 Dec 2014, 11:10 am

Haha fish    eyes automatically turns into Frank Warren, genius!

22-2

Back to top Go down

Post by DDGO2 Thu 04 Dec 2014, 11:18 am

It was the Darren Barker card, something Seven, look for it, may not have been magnificent but it was something or other.

DDGO2

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Thu 04 Dec 2014, 11:38 am

Them working is a good thing i think

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by DDGO2 Thu 04 Dec 2014, 11:59 am

no it isn't Haymon is the devil.

DDGO2

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 04 Dec 2014, 1:13 pm

In the next 2 years De La Hoya will be finished.

He won't win his case with Schaffer who will soon become CEO of Matchroom Sports.

Eddie will side with Al Haymon and the DARK SIDE of the force will establish itself as THEE power in boxing

Only 1 man will stand in their way....

BOB ARUM.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by DDGO2 Thu 04 Dec 2014, 2:06 pm

There's a case with dracula?

DDGO2

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 04 Dec 2014, 2:33 pm

Haymon is a divisive character here in North America. 2013 he gave fans some good fights, but in 2014 he has fed them utter rubbish. Truly awful fights like Garcia v Salka have been far too common. Some say he his running out his Showtime commitments until he can start is deal on American network TV. others say he was terrible at HBO and will be terrible for the sport in the future. He is adored by his fighters as he maximizes their purses and takes a lower commission. He has blocked several attempts by Jay Z's company, who offered Thurman $5 million for three fights and were still turned down. You think boxing is a muddle in the UK, it is an utter mess in the states. Oscar is the one promoter who is willing to work with one and all, but a lot of his fighters aren't even contracted with Goldenboy and have management contracts with Haymon. We will need to see what 2015 brings there. What this means with Hearn, I don't know. He has obviously decided Haymon is the future (see yesterday's IFLTV interview). Hopefully it just means he matches his fighters with theirs more.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by DDGO2 Thu 04 Dec 2014, 2:36 pm

The crud ones no one cares about fighting his elite stable, great.

DDGO2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 04 Dec 2014, 2:42 pm

King and Arum have brought us some brilliant fights...

Said it before unless you are a ruthless S.O.B then Promoting isn't for you...

You have to be tough because you spend 99% of the time negotiating..

All about the deal....Everything thing else like the Computer say's in ALIEN is a secondary priority..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by DDGO2 Thu 04 Dec 2014, 2:46 pm

TRUSS, no offence, but we know this.

DDGO2

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 04 Dec 2014, 2:50 pm

Haern should be meeting with Haymon. Whether we like it or not Haymon looks like he will be a player for some time now, particularly as Arum and King cannot go on forever (have we been saying that for 20 years?) For too long as British fight fans we have moaned our fighters not leaving these shores or fighting the top names from overseas, anything that ensures Hearn will buck this trend moving forward is welcome in my eyes.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by DDGO2 Thu 04 Dec 2014, 2:56 pm

Hearn needs to work on his match making and 50/50 fights long before he hops it to the US to chase the dream. He is still learning.

DDGO2

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Thu 04 Dec 2014, 3:00 pm

DDG - Promoters have their own teams of matchmakers, Hearn isn't sat there in his office as we speak thinking to himself "Hmmmmm, who shall I put Burns up against next... hang on, let me check boxrec rankings!"

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 04 Dec 2014, 3:00 pm

200k buys for Clev-Bell..

No he's just graduated !;

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by DDGO2 Thu 04 Dec 2014, 3:01 pm

Captain he is always saying that in interviews, so, i fear you are wrong.

DDGO2

Back to top Go down

Post by DDGO2 Thu 04 Dec 2014, 3:01 pm

200k for Mr Winklechops???

DDGO2

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Thu 04 Dec 2014, 3:06 pm

Chris Eubank said he son was the second coming of Leonard! FFS man, don't believe everything anyone says!

I can 100% guarantee he has matchmakers

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by DDGO2 Thu 04 Dec 2014, 3:10 pm

and he needs to fire them, and stop telling them to get his guys PR profile raised.

DDGO2

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Thu 04 Dec 2014, 3:13 pm

Saturday 6 December 2014

York Hall, Bethnal Green, London, United Kingdom
commission: British Boxing Board of Control
promoter: Eddie Hearn (Matchroom Boxing)
matchmaker: Neil Bowers
television: United Kingdom SKY

---------------------

Pulled from boxrec via the world of googling "matchroom matchmaker".

His guys have done a pretty good job to be fair. 200k still bought it, me included. He's got title fights for boxers who you would've thought such a shot at a big name would be out of reach... obviously doing something right now he's the dominant force this side of the pond.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by DDGO2 Thu 04 Dec 2014, 3:15 pm

he's turning into something he is not. someone i don't know. I loved Eddie once.

DDGO2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 04 Dec 2014, 3:26 pm

Your problems are....1. You get too invested....2. Everything is always black and white...

Sometimes you've got to just go with the breeze..

Best advice my old Pops gave me...If you can't do anything about a problem don't waste time thinking about it !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by DDGO2 Thu 04 Dec 2014, 3:40 pm

I like that advice, and you strike many true chords Truss.

DDGO2

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Thu 04 Dec 2014, 3:42 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Sometimes you've got to just go with the breeze..

Tell me about it, went crosswind wazzing on the walk home from the pub in the park the other night and wazzed all over myself.

Hearn has bought us far better cards/fights than fish-eyes has done in recent years, hence why he's the #1 promoter on these shores nowadays.

@ The mods - why don't we do a Q&A with him? I'll get my questions in now:

1) Have you indeed made roughlove to an Irishman recently going by the name of Strongback? He holds some sort of grudge against you

2) Fancy a beer sometime?

3) Ever thought about holding weekly shows (for a 12 week season or so) that are on terrestrial i.e. "Thursday Night Showdowns - TNS" to help promote up and coming young fighters?

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by DDGO2 Thu 04 Dec 2014, 3:59 pm

I'd ask him this:

Eddie, why have you turned into a money grubbing ****** all of a sudden, divorce pending or something?

DDGO2

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 04 Dec 2014, 5:19 pm

Eddie's doing what all rich kids do.

Three years ago Eddie said he needed time to learn. Now he's selling punnets of strawberries on the street like a true barrow boy. Give it two more years and the transformation into fully fledged crook will be complete.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Thu 04 Dec 2014, 5:31 pm

What's the alternative to Hearn?

Would people rather we revert back to the days when Frank Warren had a monopoly on top British fighters?

Did people prefer the endless stream of mismatches? Like seeing Khan or Cleverly or Degale fight a tomato can whose brand you've never once heard of in your life?

Yes. Surprise, surprise, Hearn is in it primarily for the same thing as any promoter. But at least he delivers on some decent matches that are actually half intriguing to watch.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Kareem61 Thu 04 Dec 2014, 5:55 pm

Hearn is doing great things for boxing in this country, at the end of the day he's a businessman but he knows how to play the game.

Kareem61

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 04 Dec 2014, 6:11 pm

A promoter who puts together a huge fight everyone wanted to see in the Groves/Froch rematch then made it readily available and affordable for 80,000 fans is definitely the spawn of satan.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down