The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hearn v Warren - Who is the premier Boxing promoter in Britain ??

+5
88Chris05
Mind the windows Tino.
Rowley
Soldier_Of_Fortune
TRUSSMAN66
9 posters

Go down

Hearn v Warren - Who is the premier Boxing promoter in Britain ?? Empty Hearn v Warren - Who is the premier Boxing promoter in Britain ??

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 23 Jan 2013, 10:23 am

Warren - Been N0 1 for a long time......Owns his own network.....Stable includes...World Champions.. Cleverly, Burns, Lebedev and other quality such as Conquest, Groves , Mitchell, Saunders, Gavin, Walsh and the Smith brothers etc.....

Hearn - Deals with SKy.............Froch, Brook, Bellew, Frampton, Barker, Macklin etc.........

The fact Warren has his own network mean he's still the Man...???

Me thinks with his stable Eddie Hearn and better "numbers" has the right to call himself Number 1.............

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Hearn v Warren - Who is the premier Boxing promoter in Britain ?? Empty Re: Hearn v Warren - Who is the premier Boxing promoter in Britain ??

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 23 Jan 2013, 10:35 am

I prefer Hearn to Warren personally. Warren had a good few last cards on Sky before he jumped ship to his own channel. Now that he has to put on at least a show or 2 every month, his thin stable is quite stretched and there is a lack of quality on nearly every undercard.

Hearn's cards have usually got more to them then just the main event.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Hearn v Warren - Who is the premier Boxing promoter in Britain ?? Empty Re: Hearn v Warren - Who is the premier Boxing promoter in Britain ??

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 23 Jan 2013, 10:38 am

Agreed.......However Hearn has more scope and less pressure perhaps...

Warren though has his own station which is impressive in itself..

Agree that Hearn seems to have taken over.....Warren may rue his ties with SKY being cut..

Then again If he survives the recession....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 23 Jan 2013, 10:46 am

Am not subscribed to Boxnation anymore. I just felt I wasn't getting value for money. But I have noticed they have picked up a couple of American cards again. I think Sky need to pick up more of these swell.

If Boxnation does fold, it would be interesting to see what would happen to Warrens stable. He's turn his back on Sky and Channel 5 has already been taken? Boxing back on ITV perhaps?

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 23 Jan 2013, 10:48 am

Hearn is the man at the minute for me but Warren has been on top for over 20 years, only a fool would write him but without revisiting my views on boxnation which should be familiar to everyone you do worry about exposure for his fighters as only the hardcore boxing fan will ever see his guys. You also worry about his stable, Groves seems to have stalled, Cleverly is apparently the most avoided fighter in the world, Chisora is a mentalist who is not all that anyway and is questionable Gavin is going to fulfill his undoubted potential. You do have to wonder who he has who can be involved in fights that are going to capture the imagination. Only Burns seems to have the potential and not sure he has the X factor to cross over the mainstream.

On the other hand Hearn has Sky and their marketing ability behind him, Froch is always good to watch, Brook could be in line for some good fights should he turn over Alexander and Frampton is looking increasingly like a real fighter. Also get the impression Hearn has learned from previous promoters mistakes at Sky and that constantly feeding his fighters nobodies is not good enough, if he doesn’t get complacent there is no reason he cannot rule the roost for years to come.

You have to wonder if you were a young fighter who would you sign for, would you want to be stuck away on a channel of limited subscription that nobody is going to see or on Sky with all the hype and promotion that goes hand in hand with that, no brainer for me.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 23 Jan 2013, 10:49 am

Problem is when you've burnt your bridges is that ITV will know he has nowhere else to go.....(BBC were burn't by Audley)...

and Warren will get chump money.....

and you know what a chump is.. don't you Soldier!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 23 Jan 2013, 10:51 am

Absolutely Rowley.......Hearn is also younger and more hip.......

Froch is a huge attraction for potential signatories.....

No more respected fighter in the Country...

Saunders is Warren's best hope..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 23 Jan 2013, 10:56 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

I am not even sure he would get that much. I can't imagine that ITV are remotely interested at the moment, and there is little to no chance of the BBC coming back. Unless Warren landed a marquee heavyweight then his stable, at best, could possibly hope for a slot on ITV4 for absolute peanuts.

Assuming BoxNation fails, of course.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 23 Jan 2013, 11:03 am

I don't think Hearn can ever hope to run Warren out of town the way Warren did to many of his competitors back in the late eighties, but there's little doubt in my mind that he's the top man right now, and deservedly so.

Warren may have the 'deeper' stable, insofar as he has greater numbers and perhaps more 'good' fighters, but the cream of the Matchroom crop (so Froch, Brook, Bellew, Frampton, Barker etc) is certainly better than the top four or five plying their trade on BoxNation, in my eyes anyway.

I think amongst serious boxing fans right now, Hearn is just commanding respect as a promoter in a way that Warren no longer does. That's everything, from his amiable disposition and the fact that he genuinely seems to be passionate and caring about his fighters (a stark contrast to the all-business and dead-pan Warren), down to the fact that he's regularly getting his lads in there with the high standard operators of their division. There is no suggestion that anyone in his stable will be moved towards the weakest 'champion' in their division, and nor is there a hint that once they get there they'll be allowed to simply defend against a string of non-entities (ala Cleverly).

Also, in the long run I still think that Hearn managing to get the full and exclusive backing of Sky will prove more advantageous than Warren having his own network. Warren's a force to be reckoned with and there are some fighters in his stable I'll continue to take a real interest in, but right now Hearn is by far Britain's top promoter for me.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 23 Jan 2013, 11:16 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Problem is when you've burnt your bridges is that ITV will know he has nowhere else to go.....(BBC were burn't by Audley)...

and you know what a chump is.. don't you Soldier!!

I certainly do. Just like you do Smile

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed 23 Jan 2013, 12:08 pm

Hearn has definately laid claim to be te best around atm and looks a brighter prospect than Warren

Sky is always going to draw in bigger numbers than a private channel to pay on top of Sky/Virgin

Hearns management of Brook/Froch/Frampton/Bellew/Rees/Barker (overcoming the injuries) has been faultless and he has positioned them in line for title shots, and not just title shots for paper belts (like clev) but agaisnt real legitamate champs like Alexander (Brook), Broner (Rees), Dawson(Bellew is mandatory) etc

Good deep cards, fresh challenges, bringing along youngsters, getting a proper title etc Hearn tops Warren. The only thig warren had that works for him is the rights to showcase big overseas fights BUT that doesn't really affect him as a Biritsh promoter in terms of this argument

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 23 Jan 2013, 12:14 pm

Seems more likely to test his fighters also..Bit of the Boxing fanboy about him..

How typical of Warren to bring 60 year old Glen Johnson over with the usual line of "great win over a former great champion".....afterwards

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by two_tone Wed 23 Jan 2013, 12:56 pm

Love it or hate it they also have the Prizefighter which is a popular event too. Warren is out in no man's land at the moment and has a poorer stable in comparison. Surely Groves, Saunders, Burns and Chisora aren't enough to keep him afloat for too much longer? I think the odd American card every fortnight or so is the only thing saving his bacon at the moment.

two_tone

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 23 Jan 2013, 1:01 pm

I would even suggest Mick Hennessy is ahead of Warren at the moment:

Fury
DeGale
Kid Galahad
Junior Witter
Eubank Jr

and a Terrestrial TV deal

Surely the Haye Chisora fight has helped Boxnation pick up a few new subscriptions (ie people who forgot to cancel)

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 23 Jan 2013, 1:19 pm

Interesting opinion Adam....

not sure about Witter though!!

Burns, Cleverly are world champions.....Saunders for me is better than Degale....

So we'll disagree...on this one..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 23 Jan 2013, 1:19 pm

You may well be right Adam , think Witter can be discounted as he was a tough sell when at his best would guess shifting HMV shares would be easier than selling Junior now. However Fury is a big white unbeaten heavy with a decent back story, even Mick should be able to get him fights and press. Galahad is in a decent division domestically so could get in some decent fights and again with Eubank Jnr you have to think he is the dictionary definition of an easy sell.

However Mick was in a similar position years ago when he had Barker, Froch Murray etc and he could not buy a TV date for love nor money. There is the vague possibility he is not the best promoter in the world.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Wed 23 Jan 2013, 4:12 pm

Eddie Hearn is battering Warren, battering him.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 23 Jan 2013, 4:17 pm

davidemore wrote:Eddie Hearn is battering Warren, battering him.

Chance missed for a mildly amusing pun there, Emore, what with Warren's 'Frank Warren' nickname!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down