The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boxers you've met

+26
BallchinianMuffwig
Boxtthis
terryaki01
Steffan
Atila
Eyetoldyouso
TRUSSMAN66
kingraf
hazharrison
hampo17
DuransHorse
AdamT
Hammersmith harrier
Soldier_Of_Fortune
wheelchair1991
88Chris05
mobilemaster8
John Bloody Wayne
Dipper Brown
Mind the windows Tino.
Rowley
irishbrads
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
KingMonkey
aja424
theanimal316
30 posters

Go down

Boxers you've met  Empty Boxers you've met

Post by theanimal316 Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:12 pm

This past Saturday at 2am I met Tony Bomber Bellew walking through the streets of Belfast. In the past I thought he was quite arrogant on TV but he was really approachable, stopped for a chat about the Frampton fight and even asked me did I want a photo with him.

Any boxers you have met in person and in doing so did it either change or reinforce your opinion of them from what you already knew about them?

P.S. still think Cleverly takes him in the rematch.

theanimal316

Back to top Go down

Boxers you've met  Empty Re: Boxers you've met

Post by aja424 Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:26 pm

I have met Carl Froch a few times whilst in the gym, he came across as a good guy and has always been happy to talk.
Have also met Jason Booth a number of times, a decent bloke who initiates conversation and gives good training advice.
(sorry to sound like jabby, for the record my white collar history is W0 L2 lol)

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:32 pm

Met quite a few if I'm honest. Groves and his team post Froch - Groves I in Manchester had a lot of time for the fans, Paddy Fitzpatrick was a real gent.

Spencer Fearonis a top guy, as is Darren Hamilton.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:36 pm

Met all the Irish guys obviously, Fury, Kessler, Brook, Khan, shook Sergios hand at the Frampton weigh in on Thursday, met Kiko, met Hatton amongst others.

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by irishbrads Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:37 pm

went to the Pacquaio v Rios fight in Macau recently and met quite a few there, got up to ringside straight after the fight and met Roy Jones Jr as he was commentating, he was sound and happy to have a picture taken

Met Jeff fenech as well, again he was happy to have a chat and photo. One i was disappointed with was Cotto, i seen him walking towards me and asked him (politely) for a picture, he literally didn't even acknowledge me, i spoke with a few guys from australia in the bar after the fight and he actually refused a pic with one of them, they reckon he came across as a bit arrogant

irishbrads

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:37 pm

Winy Wright
Zab Judah
Clinton Woods
Ricky Hatton
Earnie Shavers
Bomber Graham

With the exception of Judah, who was a prize bell end the rest could not have been nicer, particularly Shavers who might well be the nicest bloke on earth.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:46 pm

Always thought it was interesting as to why people who participate in the most brutal of sports are often well mannered gentleman.
Maybe the hard training really does show a young man 'respect'? Or rather it weeds out the idiots and bullies?

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:54 pm

Earnie Shavers (agree with Jeff. What a lovely guy)
Danny Williams (a few days after his miraculous KO of Mark Potter. Had his arm in a sling. Very nice man)
Colin McMillan (Another sterling chap)
Lloyd Honeyghan (mad as a box of frogs. And a total t*sser as well)
John H Stracey (singing Frank Sinatra covers. Same night and place as Honeyghan. John H was an absolute gentleman. Signed a pair of boxing gloves for me but I got drunk, fell asleep on the tube and left one of them on there. Still have the left glove though, which I was wearing when I got off the train)
John Conteh. Top man and the most naturally charismatic sportsman I have met)

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:02 pm

Bumped into Darren Barker outside Stamford Bridge a few hours before kick off, he's as you'd imagine. Pretty down to earth, nice guy.

Saw Calzaghe, again at the football, back when Wales played their matches at the Millennium Stadium. Happy enough to chat football to anyone who wanted. This was the days before camera phones though so nobody was asking for photos.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:20 pm

Met Joshua at Wembley and had quite a bad experience. Wasn't the charming nice guy he portrays on TV
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by irishbrads Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:23 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Met Joshua at Wembley and had quite a bad experience. Wasn't the charming nice guy he portrays on TV

a bad experience? c'mon Dee tell the lads what happened Shocked

irishbrads

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:29 pm

Got to agree with Brads Reborn, you can't leave that one just hanging.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:30 pm

I was in the press box and during the Mitchell fight he came into the box and was watchin the fight on one of the tellys wee had on our desks. I went up to him and tried to congratulate him on his win and got the following words out...."hi Anthony, congratu...." And he just stood up, took out his phone and said "excuse me I'm sending a text" and turned his back to me. His little security guard who was half the size of him stood between us and told me to go away as the "champ" was sending a text. Was proper embarrassing especially being in front of other press guys. Wasn't how I imagined him being.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by theanimal316 Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:33 pm

That's disappointing. That little documentary Sky did on him recently seemed pretty staged the way he went back and chatted to people from his hometown. Hopefully you just caught him at a bad time though and he is actually a cool guy.

theanimal316

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:37 pm

Martinez said many times he disliked.Cotto due to his aloof attitude and general contempt for humankind.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:40 pm

He seemed to ignore everyone bar the IFL guys. Maybe that's just what Eddie is telling him to do. I was disappointed because he was the only guy on the bill to come into our area and it would have been good to chat to such a decent prospect. To me it just stank of him maybe thinking he's too good to be chattin to smaller sites. Ah well. We live and learn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:41 pm

Wow Dee. Sorry to hear that mate. He isn't portrayed as that on sky (funnily enough)....with him being the proclaimed "Peoples Champ".....I'd expect better.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:42 pm

Frank Bruno, Carl Froch, Jason Booth, Curtis Woodhouse, Jamie Moore, Earnie Shavers, Shane McPhilbin, Barry McGuigan (very, very briefly!) and a few other guys in the flesh. All good lads, but particularly Jamie Moore as he dragged himself away from the cool crowd at Ice Sheffield (which happened to include a couple of rather fair ladies) a few months back to come and do an interview for us.

Met Anthony Small in 2009. Appreciate that he's never been everyone's cup of tea and there are rumours that he's always been a bit of a helmet even before he started making headlines for the wrong reasons outside the ring, but on this occasion he was polite enough and talked with a couple of us pretty warmly and openly. Could argue that he's evolved in to a different guy over time though, I guess.

If we're counting the podcast (c'mon, let me have it!) then Tyson Fury (and Uncle Peter, come to think of it), Enzo Calzaghe, Ian John Lewis, Mickey Vann and Dean Byrne have been the standouts.....Not so much guys like Lee Selby and Andre Berto, who were polite enough but seriously hard to get anything interesting out of!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:44 pm

Might have just been having an off day Reborn, mate of mine has met him a couple of times at the English Institute of Sport in Sheffield and says he was alright, talkative and approachable. If he gives you any hassle again let me know pal and I'll knock him out.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:47 pm

Haha will do Jeff. I don't think I would approach him again. After all he had just won a fight and walked into a press area where obviously people where going to try and chat to him. Just seemed really odd and rude. Still think he's a great fighter and hope he does well but there's no need to turn your back on someone who is congratulating you and wishing you well no matter what mood ur in. Even just fake that you appreciate it. Doesn't take that long to say thank you
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:50 pm

Im suprised at your expearience with joshua hopefully thats not the natural him

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:52 pm

Exactly what I thought when I met Judah Reborn, he spent more time whinging about me asking for a photo than it would have to just have the photo, particularly as he did it in the end. I would also have not spent the time since that telling anyone who would listen what a tool he was.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:56 pm

I've met Joshua, but not long enough to make an opinion. He seem ok but he was mainly talking to Eddie and his bum boy Kugan. Joshua is an UNIT!!!

Kugan is a t0$$er also.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:06 pm

I met IJL at my local pub, started to ask him about refereeing Hopkins and he seemed reticent to discuss anything that he'd done that was controversial.

Shavers as mentioned is a top bloke, I feel sorry for any yob that doesn't know him and takes his niceness at face value.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:08 pm

I met Kugan once, SOF. Not sure what to make of him. Wouldn't be as harsh as you, but at the same time he didn't seem too interested in living up to his nice guy / funny man reputation either.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:11 pm

Yer Shavers is a gent.

The man let me dad talk the leg off him for about an hour Laugh

Me dad know his boxing and knows alot of Earnie and his fights, enough for Earnie to say 'You know more about my career then I do..'

Not sure what he's up to these days anymore.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:15 pm

88Chris05 wrote:I met Kugan once, SOF. Not sure what to make of him. Wouldn't be as harsh as you, but at the same time he didn't seem too interested in living up to his nice guy / funny man reputation either.

Might of been a bit harsh......... the second time I seen him he blanked a few people who approached him for photo's etc and seem disinterested. Plus he might aswell have been holding Eddie's pocket. Followed him round like a potent fart.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:20 pm

Paul McCloskey is quite local to me. Is a lovely bloke. Martin Rogan was a gentleman couple times I met him very funny guy

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:21 pm

Agree about Kugan. Him and Hearn etc seem a close knit crew. He was blanking folk at wembley also, I never went near him because I don't find him funny or remotely interesting. His videos are all the same. But there was a sense of arrogance about him.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:29 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Agree about Kugan. Him and Hearn etc seem a close knit crew. He was blanking folk at wembley also, I never went near him because I don't find him funny or remotely interesting. His videos are all the same. But there was a sense of arrogance about him.

Boxers you've met  Deal

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:20 pm

I saw Michael Sprott a few years back and managed to grab a pic. He seemed a nice guy.

However, the greatest I've met retired undefeated, is a sporting icon and a very well known household name. He holds 14 Guinness World Records and has written several books. He's battled some daemons but has come through them and has just come out of retirement.

Yes that's right, you guessed it... Freddie Flintoff!

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:42 pm

Kugan was sat in front of me at the Crolla vs Murray card in Manchester earlier this year, a few of the lads who I was sat with tried to talk to him and he just kept walking off. Talking to one of them who'd known him for a few years said recently he's become a big head.

I've met a few boxers, James Degale, Enzo Mac, Bradley Pryce, Enzo Calzaghe, Chad Gaynor, Tyler Goodjohn, Tony Bellew. Most have been at fights, Degale was at the Khan vs Barerra show, had loads of time for the fans and was more than happy to take pictures.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:46 pm

Bellew was fantastic with fans this weekend. He spent ages posing for pics (one bloke even approached him while he was working at ringside -- Bellew posed while still talking). Really went up in my estimation. Saying that, Sergio Martinez was the same.

The only boxer I've ever met who wasn't spot on was Dereck Chisora. I still love the mad b ugger, though.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:55 pm

I have a long list... but it's mainly local lads I don't think any of you would know (not even Geoff as they're obscure modern bantamweights, rather than obscure 40s Vietnam bantamweights)... Met Martin Murray a few months back, top lad. Can't understand a word he says. Met both Hattons as well. Contrary to popular belief you can't smell the desperation in Ricky from 50 yards.

Last edited by kingraf on Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:58 pm

hampo171 wrote:Kugan was sat in front of me at the Crolla vs Murray card in Manchester earlier this year, a few of the lads who I was sat with tried to talk to him and he just kept walking off. Talking to one of them who'd known him for a few years said recently he's become a big head.

I've met a few boxers, James Degale, Enzo Mac, Bradley Pryce, Enzo Calzaghe, Chad Gaynor, Tyler Goodjohn, Tony Bellew. Most have been at fights, Degale was at the Khan vs Barerra show, had loads of time for the fans and was more than happy to take pictures.

There was a lad approached him at the Hall-Butler card, obviously off his rocker on pills (gurning away like a good 'un) and Kugan couldn't get rid of him all night. It was pretty comical.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:02 pm

Met Hagler when I was a teenager he was a gentleman...Met Hamed at a party some years back when he was still fighting... He was baiting the security guard...Looked a real knob..

Unfortunately haven't met Meg Ryan yet..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Eyetoldyouso Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:09 pm

Sat next to Chris Eubank at a charity dinner about 20 years ago. Absolute gentleman who had time for all the people that kept coming over to get autographs, chat etc.

Eyetoldyouso

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:17 pm

I'm too miserable to have actually met any fighters. I never go up to them and start chatting. I've bumped into a few in my younger days if that qualifies though.

Bruno, Michael Watson (before he fought Eubank), Rod Douglas and Lennox Lewis.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:53 pm

Nicky Piper. Nice guy although does his best to uphold the 'I never smile' image

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by terryaki01 Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:53 pm

Met Eubank about 10 years ago at down royal racecourse, he did nothin but chat away to everyone, took photos etc, hanging about like anyone else; was a complete gent.

terryaki01

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:03 pm

I used to own a chain of juice and smoothie bars, and for a time I had one in Glasgow Airport. One day Frank Bruno turned up and ordered a freshly squeezed orange juice in an extra large cup. It takes upwards of 10 oranges to fill the extra large, and no one ever ordered it in that size. Frank downed the whole thing right there and said "Gotta get my Vitamin C, haw haw haw haw" in typical Frank Bruno style. I've got to say, I was pretty star stuck.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:33 pm

The only one I've met is Alex Arthur, who actually started chatting to me when we were in the same gym. Seen him on and off in the same place for ages and he remembered my name despite seemingly stopping and talking to almost everybody, always asked how i was doing, gave me tips and even held the bag for me a few times, had kind words about my boxing that gave me a boost. It's a bit of an overused cliche but he was definately an "absolute gent."

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:02 am

I've briefly met McGuigan and Collins.  My mate was fighting for Ireland at youth level at the same time as McCullough, had a good bit of banter with him, he was a super impressive fighter as a youth.  Have chatted with Bernard Dunne a couple of times once in a cafe when he was sitting at a table beside me, see him around town regularly.

The best celebrity encounter was when I was chatting to Chrissy Boy after a Madness gig and getting invited back to their end of tour party at a hotel. They were very funny which isn't surprising.  Suggs seemed to be a total alcho. Turns out the Gang of 4 played the same night and crashed Madness's party. Got absolutely oblitered doing shots with Andy Gill while l philosophised about what makes a good guitar player.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:34 pm

regarding joshua, one meeting doesn't mean he's a naughty naughty boy. anyone can have a bad day. i hate people who have security to talk for them though. that story about him doesn't sound great. sending a text is never that important.

famous people get judged on every moment they're outside their house. it must be hard, i know there are times i can't be arsed talking to anyone.

that said, i hope i'd be able to take time to talk to people and have pictures most of the time if i was famous. if i'm walking through town or in a pub, bring it on. if i was with my family having a meal, every one can get f--ked.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:35 pm

oh and regarding kugan from IFLTV. - i introduced myself to him the other week and he was a nice bloke.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:49 pm

I just remembered, I did meet Hughroy Currie once. He was once British Heavyweight champ in the mid 80's.

I was in a hurry to catch a bus home and foolishly ran across a busy the road to the bus stop as the bus was already there looking like it was going to pull off.

The driver of the bus made some comment about me taking chances crossing the road just to catch a bus. The driver was Hughroy.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:54 pm

I met Henry Cooper when he came to give a talk at me school. I was only 14 and shook one of the biggest hands I had ever seen. He was a total Gent and couldn't do enough for all the kids who wanted to talk to him. My mate (who was about the only guy who REALLY knew his boxing in the audience) asked him his opinion of Don Curry being the best P4P in the world at the time. (No my mate was NOT Truss). Gave a really detailed answer too, eventually coming to the conclusion that Curry was "one of the best".

I once saw David Haye when he was a cruiserweight on Oxford St in his Range Rover - number plate H4YE U, belting out VERY loud music, and basically posing. I didn't bother to shout and wave as he was oblivious to everything other than his own importance. Laugh

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:14 pm

Might as well add mine to the list:

Ricky Burns - very quiet and modest
Joe Calzaghe - nice guy and very approachable. Comes over just like he does on TV
Eddie Hearn - once again really approachable and just like his media image
John McDonald - top bloke. Swears like a trouper. Tells some cracking off air stories!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down