The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How many boxers are amongst us?

+11
The Galveston Giant
Mind the windows Tino.
oneorthree
tommyhearnsprodigalson
Peacehavenboy
Imperial Ghosty
horizontalhero
md_fan
BALTIMORA
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Fists of Fury
15 posters

Go down

How many boxers are amongst us? Empty How many boxers are amongst us?

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 29 Aug 2011, 8:39 pm

Evening guys

Just a quick one to see which of our members are involved in boxing.

Let us know what level, which club, your record, etc. It'll be interesting to see.

Cheers

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

How many boxers are amongst us? Empty Re: How many boxers are amongst us?

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 29 Aug 2011, 8:47 pm

Used to be mate fought 21 times won 5 got sparked out a few times as well. All heart no style was me unfortunately.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 29 Aug 2011, 8:49 pm

Will be interesting to see how many amateur stars we have on the board. Their was a thread like this a while back and some of the lads record would put a Cuban Olympic team to shame. Shocked
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon 29 Aug 2011, 8:54 pm

There was a guy used to post on here who was a pro, record something like 41-0. American guy...Merriweather or something... Wink

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 29 Aug 2011, 8:54 pm

Takes some serious guts to even give it a go, Kev.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 29 Aug 2011, 8:58 pm

Mate I loved it but I was awful.
Dedicated myself properly but it wasn't their. I tried to be something I wasn't. I wanted to be slick and skilful even tried shaking my shoulders Jones Jnr style and got sparked out for my trouble.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon 29 Aug 2011, 8:58 pm

Being a speccy git I've never been inclined to give it a go until I was too old and too busy to bother.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 29 Aug 2011, 9:08 pm

My club was Bellahouston ABC in Glasgow. Just outside Govan seen more fights outside it than in the place.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by md_fan Mon 29 Aug 2011, 10:00 pm

I went along to the boxing club at our local community centre - must have been 10 years old I think. My Dad was an amateur boxer in the Navy and I thought the talent must be hereditary of course. They put me in to spar with this kid who was smaller than me. I was expecting to dance around a little and jab with little or light contact. This guy came flying at me and nearly knocked me out in the first 10 seconds with a flurry of head-shots to which I had absolutely no answer. The trainer didn't even stop it until I had taken a reasonable hammering. That was it for me - strictly a spectator - still like boxing and have huge respect for anyone who enters the ring.

md_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Tue 30 Aug 2011, 12:25 am

Boxed as an unsuccessful amateur for 31 fights over 10 years, started with Southampton ABC in 1991, had a spell at Crawley, then ended up at Brighton, now Whitehawk ABC, had last fight 2001.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 30 Aug 2011, 1:14 am

Did a fair bit of blue collar boxing during my uni years but nothing more than that

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Peacehavenboy Tue 30 Aug 2011, 7:52 am

Horizontalhero, you still in Brighton? Peacehaven here.

Peacehavenboy

Back to top Go down

Post by tommyhearnsprodigalson Tue 30 Aug 2011, 9:49 am

Heys guys never posted before but i thought i'd contribute

I plucked up the courage to walk into a boxing gym in near Wolverhampton at the grand old age of 30 after years of procrastinating, took me months before they'd even let me spa but when i did man alive they weren't prepared for what i brought to the squared circle, my sparring recored is an incredible 0-2(2)-0 i got knocked out in the 2nd round of both sessions with body shots!!

Sill hasn't put me off though, think i like the punishment Very Happy

tommyhearnsprodigalson

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 30 Aug 2011, 9:57 am

Ha, welcome tommyhearnsprodigalson, and at least you're honest! 3rd time lucky hey?

How did you hear about 606v2, by the way?

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tommyhearnsprodigalson Tue 30 Aug 2011, 10:01 am

yeah maybe Smile , i think i got 2 shots on the first guy and about 6 on the second guy but my shots weren't really planted so they had no pop! it's a massive different from a drunken street fight when no-one can slip a punch, it makes you realise how much work it takes to become even half decent but i'll stick with just for the fitness

I heard about 606v2 when 606 closed ive been reading the boards for about a year now so it made sense to move on over

tommyhearnsprodigalson

Back to top Go down

Post by oneorthree Tue 30 Aug 2011, 10:42 am

fought @ heavy and SuperHeavy in the amateurs until a couple of years ago, amassed an eye catching 9-5 (6)
Fighting on an "unlicensed" semi pro show in 4 weeks, looking forward to it. Iv sparred some good fighters, Chisora being the best of them back in 2004/5.

oneorthree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 30 Aug 2011, 11:02 am

We have a really good club in the town I live in. It has just produced a Great British Youth Champion, which he won up in Scotland somewhere. He is also a junior ABA champion. He has a very good older brother as well who mixed with the likes of Frankie Gavin a few years back and was in no way disgraced, despite dropping a clear decision.

Me, I've never had a fight in my life, although it does eat away at me every day because I would probably be the equal of Floyd Mayweather, combined with Earnie Shavers punch power.

As Michael said to Paul;

I think I told you, I'm a lover not a fighter.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 30 Aug 2011, 12:38 pm

Not fought for 4 years, boxed out of the Gilmerton club in Edinburgh. Last fought against Repton in a Edinburgh select in London. Big Frank Bruno was there and a few others. Fought at Middleweight, a lot of the boxers were on Arthurs show at Meadowbank on Saturday.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 30 Aug 2011, 12:47 pm

The Galveston Giant wrote:Not fought for 4 years, boxed out of the Gilmerton club in Edinburgh. Last fought against Repton in a Edinburgh select in London. Big Frank Bruno was there and a few others. Fought at Middleweight, a lot of the boxers were on Arthurs show at Meadowbank on Saturday.

Did you go t that show mate?
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 30 Aug 2011, 12:52 pm

Wasn't there mate no, Gary McMillan got beat off Kevin McIntyre after dropping him twice in the first with body shots, he was outboxed with the jab from round 3 onwards i think, so don't know what he's going to do now.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 30 Aug 2011, 1:09 pm

I was at the Pavilion in Glasgow when he lost to Gary Young nearly 2 years ago I thought he was finished that night but I don't see where he can go from here.

Alex Arthur is interesting not sure what he thinks he can achieve now. I can't see him above domestic level though.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 30 Aug 2011, 3:18 pm

Arthur is kidding himself on, not sure what he's doing, used to watch Young and McMillan go at it in the gym, they hate each other, Gary Young was professional then and still undefeated so it always used to end with McMillan pretending he had hurt his hand.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 30 Aug 2011, 3:32 pm

They 2 really don't like each other.

When they fought it was in Glasgow which was strange because apart from me and my Mrs pretty much the rest of the crowd was from the Edinburgh.

Kris Hughes fought on that card as well thought he might have had a bright future ahead of him but apparently he's very fond of the buckfast.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Tue 30 Aug 2011, 3:35 pm

i've actually just started boxing, did it for about 3 months when i was 12, then moved onto rugby. stopped playing that when my local team fell apart when i was 19, i'm 24 now and have been meaning to go back for years, finally went back about 4 weeks ago or so, had about 9-10 sessions but not been allowed to spar yet. absolutly love it, but am so unfit i struggle to keep up, i recon it will be at least 6 months before im anyway near ready to box properly, im 13 1/2 stone and recon i've got about 1 1/2stone to lose at least. should really quit smoking as well.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 30 Aug 2011, 5:41 pm

prettyboykev wrote:They 2 really don't like each other.

When they fought it was in Glasgow which was strange because apart from me and my Mrs pretty much the rest of the crowd was from the Edinburgh.

Kris Hughes fought on that card as well thought he might have had a bright future ahead of him but apparently he's very fond of the buckfast.

I thought it was very strange the fight being in Glasgow Kev, Hughes was just breaking through a few years ago when Arthur was fighting regular in Edinburgh, but his career seems to have stalled, not seen him for a while. Kenny Anderson is getting himself involved with the wrong people ( probably his mates but he needs to distance himself a bit just now and concentrate on his career) and needs to watch if he wants to further his career. A good amatuer, James Carlin just got 9 years i think last year when an undercover cop infiltrated their gang and busted them, he was still boxing when i first went to Gilmerton. Too many distraction in the city's and talent just goes to waste.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 30 Aug 2011, 6:04 pm

prettyboykev wrote:Mate I loved it but I was awful.
Dedicated myself properly but it wasn't their. I tried to be something I wasn't. I wanted to be slick and skilful even tried shaking my shoulders Jones Jnr style and got sparked out for my trouble.

haha

Got to admire the honesty. Is it very painful getting ko'd? i neverboxed or been ko'd. Although i have been smacked on ocassion.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 30 Aug 2011, 6:10 pm

First time it hurt like hell and was a shock to the system. Happened 3 more times and it always hurt but wasn't as big a shock.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 30 Aug 2011, 6:16 pm

The Galveston Giant wrote:

I thought it was very strange the fight being in Glasgow Kev, Hughes was just breaking through a few years ago when Arthur was fighting regular in Edinburgh, but his career seems to have stalled, not seen him for a while. Kenny Anderson is getting himself involved with the wrong people ( probably his mates but he needs to distance himself a bit just now and concentrate on his career) and needs to watch if he wants to further his career. A good amatuer, James Carlin just got 9 years i think last year when an undercover cop infiltrated their gang and busted them, he was still boxing when i first went to Gilmerton. Too many distraction in the city's and talent just goes to waste.

My Dad just told me that Kriss Hughes is trained by Paul Weir. He's right as well I never knew that.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 30 Aug 2011, 6:19 pm

prettyboykev, you are a soldier. I think i would make a good fighter in terms of physique. i am 5:9 and half and fairly well proportioned and all, but i think that's where my similarities with a boxer end. ALso i would prob justlose my temper if hit and throw windmills until i was sparked out by a well timed counter. The hardest guy i knew at school went into boxing, he was hard as a coffin nail ad he couldnt win a fight.

Last edited by Seanusarrilius on Tue 30 Aug 2011, 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 30 Aug 2011, 6:22 pm

prettyboykev wrote:
The Galveston Giant wrote:

My Dad just told me that Kriss Hughes is trained by Paul Weir. He's right as well I never knew that.

Nor did i mate, i know Weir was training Gary Young for the fight in Norway after McMillan, but think he may be back with Harrison and Arthur now.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 30 Aug 2011, 6:37 pm

Harrison is a very good trainer and apparently one of the few from that particular bloodline who has a brain. I know Arthur is training a few young prospects.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 30 Aug 2011, 6:45 pm

Yeah i like Peter Harrison, a lot of the good younger guys used to go through with Gary to the Gym and Peter would give up time on Scott, Alex etc to train them, seems like a good guy. Shouldn't be long until Scott Harrison is out, you any idea when?
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 30 Aug 2011, 7:03 pm

I'm not sure is he still in Spain or did he get transferred to Barlinnie? Should be early next year at the latest I think.

He was such a waste of talent we never got to see the best he had which was a real shame. Always wanted to see him and Arthur fight. Would have put my money on Scott but would have secretly been supporting the man from the East. Arthur is a nice guy met him once Scott was alright but a bit up his own ariss tbh.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 30 Aug 2011, 7:24 pm

Arthur's the same believe me. Scott would have been to strong for him i think. Scott was in the paper a few months ago and i'm sure it was about a transfer, not sure if it happened. Can't see anything online.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 30 Aug 2011, 7:33 pm

I don't think it would just have been down to strength Scott was just better than Arthur imo. Arthur did well to achieve what he did but we never got to see the best of Scott it would have been excellent for boxing up here though. A real East vs West battle would have caught the public's imagination.

I though Warren was going to try it with Burns and Arthur after the Cook fight. Their was stories Arthur made the cut throat sign at Burns and Nelson was screaming at Arthur. Thankfully not though.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 30 Aug 2011, 8:47 pm

I'm going to go along with a mate of mine to a boxing gym next week, it'll be interesting to see how I get on!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Tue 30 Aug 2011, 8:54 pm

Peacehavenboy wrote:Horizontalhero, you still in Brighton? Peacehaven here.

No Mate, I live on a tiny island called Niue in the South pacific- working on a construction project. One down side is that I haven't seen a fight in ages-Sky pacific doesn't do PPV, and down loading anything from youtube takes ages as the internet here is really slow- it ages over 14hours to download an album off i tunes, so a whole boxing match would probably take weeks

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Thu 01 Sep 2011, 4:38 pm

love boxing training and hitting the bags and mitts. used to be a lot fitter (and thinner...) when i was a bit younger but still love the training.

im 6'2', and 15 1/2 stone at the min, so around 217lbs if my maths is correct. imagining myself as having to fight heavyweights is scary.

i reckon if i was forced into a pro boxing match i'd be able to get down to 175, for the weigh in and gaining a good few pounds for my ring weight.

luckily, with work ive met a lot of boxers and the hight and general size of light heavyweights like clinton woods and calzaghe shock me, i expected them to be smaller. froch is tall as well, he has a great figure for his weight, very lean.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Thu 01 Sep 2011, 5:48 pm

horizontalhero wrote:
Peacehavenboy wrote:Horizontalhero, you still in Brighton? Peacehaven here.

No Mate, I live on a tiny island called Niue in the South pacific- working on a construction project.

Did your "construction project" involve trying to unite the whole of Europe into one French speaking empire?

Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down