The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Have you met any Boxers?

+27
horizontalhero
goldustismyhero
andrewmarkhall
Bob
DaveVDK
OasisBFC
JDandfries
BallchinianMuffwig
TopHat24/7
BALTIMORA
Seanusarrilius
ian_jamsie
BoxingFan88
kevchadders
Daz
Scottrf
Twitchey
coxy0001
Sir. badgerhands
Soldier_Of_Fortune
captain carrantuohil
School Project
Mind the windows Tino.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Rowley
Union Cane
DoubleD22
31 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Have you met any Boxers? Empty Have you met any Boxers?

Post by DoubleD22 Fri 14 Oct 2011, 11:32 am

Hi guys hope all is going well on the boards.

Just a bit of a friday wind down Topic. Has anyone met any boxing superstarts, have any good stories of when you met them or even are good friends with a pro boxer?

My only claim to fame here is meeting Chris Eubank outside a gym in Watford! Nice guy and he was happy to have a picture with me.

DoubleD22

Back to top Go down

Have you met any Boxers? Empty Re: Have you met any Boxers?

Post by Union Cane Fri 14 Oct 2011, 11:34 am

I once met local cruiserweight legend Steve Lewsam outside a local nightclub, very nice bloke, he said to me "You're not coming in here mate, you're too drunk".
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 14 Oct 2011, 11:40 am

Met a few, met Hatton in Germany for the cancelled haye Wlad fight, lovely bloke and his reputation for friendliness and alcohol consumption are both well earned.

Met Earnie Shavers waiting for a plane and again he is as nice a guy as you could ever hope to meet.

Met Winky Wright and Zab Judah in Vegas, Wright could not have been any more friendly or chatty, Judah was a bit of a moob.

Met Duran at one of those Q&A dinner evenings, couldn't speak English (him not me) but got a photo and autograph with him.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Fri 14 Oct 2011, 11:40 am

Kevin Mitchell, briefly, some friends of my brother are mates with him. Not much to say, just an ordinary sort of bloke.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 14 Oct 2011, 11:42 am

I met Danny Williams at Russell Square tube station, his arm was still in a sling from the Mark Potter fight. Lovely guy.

Met Colin McMillian and John H Stracey at the York Hall as well. I have a signed boxing glove from John H. Does anyone want to buy it?

Lloyd Honeyghan was there as well but I didn't speak to him.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleD22 Fri 14 Oct 2011, 11:42 am

Pretty impressive bunch of guys there rowley!

DoubleD22

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Fri 14 Oct 2011, 11:44 am

rowley wrote:Met a few, met Hatton in Germany for the cancelled haye Wlad fight, lovely bloke and his reputation for friendliness and alcohol consumption are both well earned.

Met Earnie Shavers waiting for a plane and again he is as nice a guy as you could ever hope to meet.

Met Winky Wright and Zab Judah in Vegas, Wright could not have been any more friendly or chatty, Judah was a bit of a moob.

Met Duran at one of those Q&A dinner evenings, couldn't speak English (him not me) but got a photo and autograph with him.

Why didn't you speak to him in Spanish then Jeff??? Typical brit, expecting everyone to speak your language - did you have your shirt off with your big sunburned belly hanging out, your inflatable lilo and copy of yesterdays sun under one arm and a pint of carling in your hand? Very Happy
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 14 Oct 2011, 11:44 am

I have met Earnie Shavers as well. He was working the door of a nightclub in Liverpool. Offered him a fight but he backed down.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 14 Oct 2011, 11:44 am

Didn't even bring out the big guns and tell you about the time I met Clinton Woods in Asda buying cooked meats.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 14 Oct 2011, 11:45 am

Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:
rowley wrote:Met a few, met Hatton in Germany for the cancelled haye Wlad fight, lovely bloke and his reputation for friendliness and alcohol consumption are both well earned.

Why didn't you speak to him in Spanish then Jeff??? Typical brit, expecting everyone to speak your language - did you have your shirt off with your big sunburned belly hanging out, your inflatable lilo and copy of yesterdays sun under one arm and a pint of carling in your hand? Very Happy

No but at the Q&A session some geezer got up trying to show off and asked him a question in Italian, seemed to get a bit confused about Roberto's native tongue. The comedian who was compering the event tore him to shreds.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Fri 14 Oct 2011, 11:46 am

Don't mean to go off on one staking a claim to fame but...

I've met Joe Calzaghe a few times in Cwmbran where I live, he used to live there too, spoke to him about the Lacy fight and a little later about the Kessler fight, normal down to Earth conversation. Gary Lockett still lives there and I've seen him down St. Josephs training Gavin along side Gary Buckland.

I also heard Paul Samuel screaming in the gym when he was training alone upstairs in the gym, me and one of the boys didn't know be was there at the time. We spoke to him and he told is to watch his fight stating "its my TIME!" before his double knockdown.

I can't say I know the guys personally or are mates with them but I've been around most of the Calzaghe guys.

My old boxing coach was actually in the background in a 24/7 episode for Calzaghe v Jones which I found funny.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Fri 14 Oct 2011, 11:48 am

rowley wrote:
Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:

No but at the Q&A session some geezer got up trying to show off and asked him a question in Italian, seemed to get a bit confused about Roberto's native tongue. The comedian who was compering the event tore him to shreds.

ha ha, classic
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Fri 14 Oct 2011, 11:55 am

Alexis Arguello, Marvin Hagler and Frankie Randall. All charming, especially Arguello. Impossible to know how and why such a gentleman could have lost his way in life to the extent that he felt it preferable to end it. That was one very sad day.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 14 Oct 2011, 12:01 pm

A friend of mine goes to a boxing gym to keep fit, and has done a lot of boxing in his past. It is the same gym that houses Jack Morris (he of a fleeting Prizefighter claim) and used to house the lovely Anthony Small.

Anyway, the promoter who owns the gym got Roy Jones Jr to pop in and give a coaching session and my buddy threw some jabs at RJJ as he held the pads.

Can I just apologise as well, that is up there with the most boring posts of all time. I wasn't even there either.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri 14 Oct 2011, 12:03 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:I have met Earnie Shavers as well. He was working the door of a nightclub in Liverpool. Offered him a fight but he backed down.

I've met big Earnie many of time on Yates doors. Great bloke and gives fans his time of day. Me dad was talking to him for about an hour and ended up sayin he knew more about his career them himself. He also signed a copy of his book for him.

Also met Steve Bunce at Prizefighter, he is as eccentric in real life as on the tele. He is also a top bloke.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir. badgerhands Fri 14 Oct 2011, 12:03 pm

Only ever met one.

Billy "The Blonde Bombshell" Walker.

Used to own the local boxing club when I was a kid, I wasn't sure who he was but my Grandad certainly did and talked my ear off for hours about him.

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Fri 14 Oct 2011, 12:07 pm

Tino, i would've thought you'd listed European "Sting like a bee" Hornet and Common "Grasskiller" Grasshopper as fighters you've met? You even saw them fight!

Steve Collins lives round my way, bumped into him a few times and although he's been chatty there's something about him that scares the absolute **** out of me... Just seems a little bit on the edge of smiling at you then snapping your head in half.

Nice guy though

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Fri 14 Oct 2011, 12:09 pm

Oh and have bumped into Frank Bruno as he's from my area as well, he's always much more aloof and unwilling to engage in convo though. Very very introvert sort of guy

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Twitchey Fri 14 Oct 2011, 12:13 pm

I played football in the park (jumpers for goal posts with Naseem Hamed and his brother.

Everyone politely pretended that we weren't having a kick around with a world champion boxer. We played on the same side.

Quick feet in the ring, not so quick on the football pitch: he got tackled by a girl on the opposition side.

Twitchey

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleD22 Fri 14 Oct 2011, 12:14 pm

i bet that was a bit odd playing football with Naseem Hamed!

He would be a good 5-aside goalkeeper these days i think.

Last edited by DoubleD22 on Fri 14 Oct 2011, 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

DoubleD22

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 14 Oct 2011, 12:15 pm

Coxy, I thought about the Hornet/Grasshopper fight, but you're the only person who seems to take it seriously, and for that, I thank you.

I often lay awake at night wondering what happened to the poor grasshopper.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 14 Oct 2011, 12:17 pm

Hatton sat next to me while we were out drinking and have been punched by Jane Couch.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Fri 14 Oct 2011, 12:17 pm

I've met a few. Met and chatted to Hatton at the Holiday Inn in Preston - he was leathered but still took a pic with me and got an autograph. Met Muhammad Ali outstide Hattons gym a year or 2 back.

Met Floyd Mayweather at Peacock's Gym in London and got an autograph. Same with James De Gale.

Met and had a pic with Anthony Small and Billy Joe Saunders in Manchester.

Met Pacman on a promotional tour with Hatton in the trafford centre. Met Amir Khan on a number of occasions.

Been on a couple of charity do's, so met quite a lot there. Mike Tyson - got my pic with him, Brian London, Martin Murray, Matthew Hatton, Scott Quigg.

Also met Freddie Roach, Roger Mayweather and Richard Schaefer, Oscar De Lay Hoya as well.

Think there is a few more but cant remember. My memory is pants.

Last edited by Dazstarr on Fri 14 Oct 2011, 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri 14 Oct 2011, 12:18 pm

I also take Hornet vs Grasshopper seriously, I have in fact referred to it a couple of times in recent days, I like to think that at the end of the fight Hornet was mumbling "Ain't gonna be no rematch" into Grasshopper's ear, to which he replied "Don't want one".
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by kevchadders Fri 14 Oct 2011, 12:20 pm

We had David Price in our local gym not so long ago, but as we where in the changing rooms at the time it didnt seem like the right place to strike up a conversation! Wink

kevchadders

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 14 Oct 2011, 12:21 pm

Union Cane wrote:I also take Hornet vs Grasshopper seriously, I have in fact referred to it a couple of times in recent days, I like to think that at the end of the fight Hornet was mumbling "Ain't gonna be no rematch" into Grasshopper's ear, to which he replied "Don't want one".

That's true, Union. I apologise for my oversight.

I hope that's true, but my overriding fear is that the Hornet simply overpowered and descimated the poor Grasshopper, before taking it home in small pieces to feed his family.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Fri 14 Oct 2011, 12:22 pm

coxy0001 wrote:Oh and have bumped into Frank Bruno as he's from my area as well, he's always much more aloof and unwilling to engage in convo though. Very very introvert sort of guy

Yes I've always thought that about Frank
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Arts/Arts_/Pictures/2008/12/05/brunpanto460.jpg
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleD22 Fri 14 Oct 2011, 12:23 pm

Thats good going there Dazstarr!

Who were you happiest to have met out of this great bunch?

DoubleD22

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Fri 14 Oct 2011, 12:25 pm

Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:
coxy0001 wrote:Oh and have bumped into Frank Bruno as he's from my area as well, he's always much more aloof and unwilling to engage in convo though. Very very introvert sort of guy

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Arts/Arts_/Pictures/2008/12/05/brunpanto460.jpg

It's pretty common knowledge that once he's not infront of a camera/audience he becaomes quite shy.

Unless you think Jim Carrey is a lunatic through every day life?

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Fri 14 Oct 2011, 12:26 pm

coxy0001 wrote:
Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:

It's pretty common knowledge that once he's not infront of a camera/audience he becaomes quite shy.

Lighten up mate.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Fri 14 Oct 2011, 12:29 pm

DoubleD22 wrote:Thats good going there Dazstarr!

Who were you happiest to have met out of this great bunch?

Without a shadow of a doubt - the great Ali! Even took some video on my phone. A very proud moment in my life and one I can tell the kiddies about.

Followed by Mayweather (fav fighter)

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 14 Oct 2011, 12:32 pm

Winky Wright was a completely lovely bloke, was doing a signing session at Hooters and so was getting paid for it but took the time to have a chat with everyone, pretty much everyone in the queue was British and he seemed really humbled he had so many fans from over here, seemed over the moon when I told him I had seen him fight a couple of times.

Also meant the missus could not object to me going in Hooters so was a winner all round.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Fri 14 Oct 2011, 12:35 pm

Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:
coxy0001 wrote:
Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:

Lighten up mate.

You try and sit opposite a bald headed, Dale Winton sounding, technically retarded, salsa ring tone on full volume, poofter of a boss

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri 14 Oct 2011, 12:37 pm

Zab Judah, Bone Crusher Smith, Glenn Mcrory, Vitali Klitchsko, Jr Witter.

All at the WBC night of champions.

Also met Joe Calzaghe on a train platform.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Fri 14 Oct 2011, 12:43 pm

rowley wrote:Winky Wright was a completely lovely bloke, was doing a signing session at Hooters and so was getting paid for it but took the time to have a chat with everyone, pretty much everyone in the queue was British and he seemed really humbled he had so many fans from over here, seemed over the moon when I told him I had seen him fight a couple of times.

Also meant the missus could not object to me going in Hooters so was a winner all round.

Winning Jeff!

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by ian_jamsie Fri 14 Oct 2011, 12:44 pm

I nearly ran over Lee MacAlister in Ellon (Aberdeenshire), when he crossed the bloody road in a stupid place.

I was going to sware at him till I clocked who he was.

ian_jamsie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir. badgerhands Fri 14 Oct 2011, 1:04 pm

coxy0001 wrote:
Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:
coxy0001 wrote:
Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:

Lighten up mate.

You try and sit opposite a bald headed, Dale Winton sounding, technically retarded, salsa ring tone on full volume, poofter of a boss

Didn't know you were employed by Truss.

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Fri 14 Oct 2011, 1:05 pm

coxy0001 wrote:
Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:
coxy0001 wrote:
Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:

Lighten up mate.

I'll give you that one. Can't you just plant a mustard coated cactus on his seat so next time he sits down he gets it right up the jacksie and has to go home?

Fortunately I have no such problems, my boss is a witty, smooth talking, level headed, highly competent top bloke with smooth Italian looks and a sharp Paul Smith suit who might just let me go early today if I'm nice to him.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 14 Oct 2011, 1:08 pm

Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:

Fortunately I have no such problems, my boss is a witty, smooth talking, level headed, highly competent top bloke with smooth Italian looks and a sharp Paul Smith suit who might just let me go early today if I'm nice to him.

Well here's hoping he reads 606v2 because on the back of such sucking up you're nailed on for the early finish.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Fri 14 Oct 2011, 1:13 pm

rowley wrote:
Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:

Well here's hoping he reads 606v2 because on the back of such sucking up you're nailed on for the early finish.

I can guarantee you he does Jeff.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 14 Oct 2011, 1:18 pm

i havent but my mate saw Prince Naseem in London at a... McDonalds the other week. Probably made the franchise 'outlet of the month' with his order. Love Naz tho

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Fri 14 Oct 2011, 1:27 pm

rowley wrote:
Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:

That or a shag. Self-employed are we, Sugar Boy?

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 14 Oct 2011, 1:31 pm

Chris Eubank occassionaly pops into the pub by my work, don't know why, does drink or talk much.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Fri 14 Oct 2011, 1:31 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:
rowley wrote:
Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:

That or a shag. Self-employed are we, Sugar Boy?

Well done Sherlock Wink
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Fri 14 Oct 2011, 1:32 pm

ian_jamsie wrote:I nearly ran over Lee MacAlister in Ellon (Aberdeenshire), when he crossed the bloody road in a stupid place.

I was going to sware at him till I clocked who he was.

Hahaha! I think I've seen Lee kicking about in Aberdeen a couple times, and one of my mates fought his brother in the amateurs. I know Alex Arthur to the extent of being acquaintances, very chatty friendly guy and never shy of giving me a good insight to what other pro's he knows are like...apparently Carl Froch is quiet in person and apparently Michael Gomez is actually a nice guy, never would have thought. Also met Gary Young once in an Edinburgh gym, he was sound enough as well, doing forward rolls on the floor at one point and never have I seen anyone hit the bag with such a hard right hand!

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Fri 14 Oct 2011, 1:32 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Chris Eubank occassionaly pops into the pub by my work, don't know why, does drink or talk much.

Please let him drink Thtella...or maybe he prefers a nice Theven & Theven.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Fri 14 Oct 2011, 1:39 pm

Thmall thcotch with thoda water, pint of thandy and bag of pork thcratchingth pleath.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Fri 14 Oct 2011, 1:46 pm

Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:Thmall thcotch with thoda water, pint of thandy and bag of pork thcratchingth pleath.
Did you ever see him when he presented top of the Pops? Number thixth wath Thuggth with 'Thethilila', and I believe Thleeper performed 'Thale of the Thentury'...

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Fri 14 Oct 2011, 1:52 pm

Good job Thandy Thaw wasn't there peforming Thing a Thong of Thixthpenth.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 14 Oct 2011, 1:53 pm

Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:Thmall thcotch with thoda water, pint of thandy and bag of pork thcratchingth pleath.

Eubank doesn't drink or eat pork - he's a muslim

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next