The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official *England's Passage to Paris 2016* Thread

+47
Derbymanc
VTR
hornbloweroafc
monty junior
LivinginItaly
Brys
CaledonianCraig
Mike Selig
GSC
Josiah Maiestas
dummy_half
dyrewolfe
BamBam
Mad for Chelsea
Mat
spencerclarke
mystiroakey
FIFA Diva
Steffan
Breadvan
The Special Juan
freemo
Soldier_Of_Fortune
MIG
Lowlandbrit
Stella
liverbnz
jbeadlesbigrighthand
Hammersmith harrier
Fernando
Hero
compelling and rich
hampo17
Good Golly I'm Olly
westisbest
Dolphin Ziggler
Ent
super_realist
JDizzle
Crimey
NickisBHAFC
Nakatomi Plaza
Liam
owen10ozzy
Mackem
Marky
Duty281
51 posters

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Go down

The Official *England's Passage to Paris 2016* Thread - Page 4 Empty The Official *England's Passage to Paris 2016* Thread

Post by Duty281 Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:21 pm

First topic message reminder :

Onwards, we go. Latest England squad has been named for the friendly against Norway, and the opening qualifier versus Switzerland.

Goalkeepers: Fraser Forster (Southampton), Ben Foster (West Bromwich Albion), Joe Hart (Manchester City)
Defenders: Leighton Baines (Everton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Calum Chambers (Arsenal), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur), John Stones (Everton)
Midfielders: Jack Colback (Newcastle United), Fabian Delph (Aston Villa), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), James Milner (Manchester City), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal) Raheem Sterling (Liverpool), Andros Townsend (Tottenham Hotspur), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal)
Forwards: Rickie Lambert (Liverpool), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Danny Welbeck (Manchester United)

You know, such a squad does not fill me to the brim with optimism!

Best side we can muster out of that, assuming Roy takes a 4-2-3-1 shape, would probably be:

Hart, Stones, Jagielka, Cahill, Baines, Henderson, Wilshere, Sterling, Rooney, Oxlade, and Sturridge.

Last edited by Duty281 on Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

The Official *England's Passage to Paris 2016* Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: The Official *England's Passage to Paris 2016* Thread

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:30 pm

Typical England fan on twitter

"Why are you picking guys like Cleverley over someone in form like delph"

Delph gets picked and played

"Why is delph playing he's not good"
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

The Official *England's Passage to Paris 2016* Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: The Official *England's Passage to Paris 2016* Thread

Post by Fernando Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:15 pm

Swiss team
01 Sommer 05 Von Bergen 13 Rodriguez 20 Djourou 02 Lichtsteiner 08 Inler 11 Behrami
18 Mehmedi 23 Shaqiri 10 Xhaka 09 Seferovic

Surprised Schaar & Drmic not starting for the Swiss

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:01 pm

Some good build ups by England but technique and composure letting us down......as usual.
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:04 pm

Great start from Rooney so far; 2 poor passes, offside when he can see across the line and an awful touch when in shooting position! Captain Marvel!

Also whoever said they can see England doing just enough to qualify...if that is the case then Hodgson should be shown the door..anything other than a very comfortable qualification would be embarrassing given it's the top two who qualify and we have Slovenia, San Marino, Lithuania and Estonia outside of Switzerland!!!

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:04 pm

Wilshere has got to be more open to receiving the ball. The diamond for Liverpool only really works because of Gerrard accepting the ball so often. I do think Wilshere should attempt to evolve his game as a deep lying midfielder as with Arteta getting older and no obvious English holding midfielders that's where he is most likely to get games.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:05 pm

Surprised at how happy Switzerland have been to just sit back.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:06 pm

Delph can' tackle, lucky he didn't see yellow for the first one but the second one was just stupid. He's a red card waiting to happen.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:09 pm

Yeah can't see Delph lasting 90 minutes, either because he will be sent off or taken off as a liability.

Wilshere is really frustrating at the moment, he's supposed to be playmaking from deep but seems to be hiding behind Swiss players when there's a possibility of a pass.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:09 pm

Crikey how negative have Switzerland been so far. I want them to win ofcourse but come on up the tempo a bit lads

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:10 pm

If Delph keeps going in like he does he'll be off before HT

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:14 pm

Delph getting a red before half time would be great and help the Switz. They should wind him up a bit more

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:15 pm

Arsenal's Danny Welbeck folks!! Laugh
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:15 pm

Bet Wilshere is more frustrated than anyone on here! Another player being asked to play a role not natural to his strengths...at least not maximising them! Why would I want to see him sit in front of the back 4 trying to be a 'deep lying playmaker' when he can play bang in the middle of the park 20 yards further forward and actually influence the game!

This whole tactical shape bullcrap spouted by Hodgson is basically an excuse to dress up what he means 'my team will be compact and organised with slow tempo' save one or two form players who will make it look like I'm trying to be exciting...I.e...Sterling or Barkely or next youngster to shine! Shocking pass from Welbeck!

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:16 pm

Jack Wilshere playing? Done fu*k all. That pass from Welbeck there was inexcusable. What on earth was he thinking.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:17 pm

Frak me Owen do you ever stop moaning
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:17 pm

In a nutshell why Welbeck is so frustrating, his pace and touches of class can cause anybody problems but his final ball and finishing leave a lot to be desired.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:18 pm

Should be 2 up, sterling and Welbeck both with poor final balls costing an overload
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:19 pm

Good save Hart
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:21 pm

I do Olly; when what I see is anything actually resembling decent! Won't apologise for finding a national team who have been dour for years frustrating to watch. Nor for thinking it's inexcusable how we continue to waste and stunt the growth of players talent by asking them to play in positions or roles which do not suit there natural game!

We have 3 midfielders..one who can actually pick out short, intelligent passes ...where do we play him...in Defensive midfield..

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:22 pm

I am sorry but Wilshere has never made an impact for England further forward. He constantly runs into players and on the evidence of this game it must be because he's allergic to it! He's in a position in which he should have the time and space to make a difference and not have his ankle clipped but he's just not asking for the ball enough. He needs to be demanding it off of the defenders not shying away.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:24 pm

I can't see Switzerland scoring at this rate. Hoping for a better second half

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:25 pm

Where exactly did Pirlo, Xavi and Scholes make there name as being master passers of the ball, oh yes in deep sitting midfield.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:26 pm

Gets Henderson, Delph, Sterling, Rooney, Welbeck in there natural position, play Wilshere in a role people have suggested he adapts too, still moans.

Can't please ya I swear
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:26 pm

Looking at England and listening to Hodgson after the Norway game, I think Roy was expecting Switzerland to be much more attacking threat than they are posing and now that England do have the ball for a long time they're not prepared.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:29 pm

I said earlier in the thread that for me Wilshere's best shot at remaining at the top level of the game is to adapt his game to the deep lying role. That is where a spot is open in at club level for him and international level if the diamond is stuck with. He's shown time and time again further forward that he runs straight into opposition and then falls over holding his ankle. Injury worries and have a lack of dribbling ability of lessened his quality there but his passing is still decent so with a bit of fine tuning he could have a good future in the deep lying playmaker role.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:31 pm

The Special Juan wrote:Arsenal's Danny Welbeck folks!!  Laugh

Could be worse could be paying 300k for a fat scouser to run about and do not much apart from having a team wrapped round his finger Whistle

#BetterThenSanogo Whistle

Personally i dislike this diamond formation not sure it suits England tbh.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:35 pm

Pretty decent half that, should really be 1/2 up if had a better final ball but dominating the game and chances are coming

I like the diamond, always an advocate. In delph/Henderson have two middle men that make it work great with there mobility and runs forward.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:35 pm

Think teams just know they can sit in deep against Engalnd and knick one tbh Crimey! I means it's hardly like were a renowned force for breaking teams down in the final 3rd is it! We'd struggle to find a way through an open door half the time.

As for the Pirlo comment, scholes and Pirlo didn't play as deep lying midfielders in there hey day..they played as CM not DM! Even Xavi doesn't sit as deep as Wilshere is here! Wilshere may be choosing to do so but given how Hodgson has always set his teams out I doubt that's the case; always wants one person sat 8-10 yds in front of back four.

Olly - If that comment was at me; I don't Want Rooney playing, I'm not a fan of Welbeck..provides energy and little else as shown in first half and Sterling looks like a man who doesn't know his role .

Last edited by owen10ozzy on Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:35 pm

Fernando wrote:

Could be worse could be paying 300k for a fat scouser to run about and do not much apart from having a team wrapped round his finger Whistle .

Did I hit a nerve there? Whistle Wazza to score the winner at the Emirates this season boxing
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:37 pm

Wasn't too bad half really, perspective being away from home at a quite difficult side. Still maintain Wilshere needs to get more into the game, so does Sterling who hasn't really had a chance to run at the team yet.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:38 pm

The Special Juan wrote:
Fernando wrote:

Could be worse could be paying 300k for a fat scouser to run about and do not much apart from having a team wrapped round his finger Whistle .

Did I hit a nerve there?  Whistle  Wazza to score the winner at the Emirates this season boxing

Nah thought id just remind you that your mid-table side is whipped like a bitch by a fat scouser who isn't very good anymore for £1.2m a month Whistle

#BiggerThenYourClubAndIDon'tJustMeanWeight Whistle

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:39 pm

owen10ozzy wrote:As for the Pirlo comment, scholes and Pirlo didn't play as deep lying midfielders in there hey day..they played as CM not DM! Even Xavi doesn't sit as deep as Wilshere is here! Wilshere may be choosing to do so but given how Hodgson has always set his teams out I doubt that's the case; always wants one person sat 8-10 yds in front of back four.

Olly - If that comment was at me; I don't Want Rooney playing, I'm not a fan of Welbeck..provides energy and little else as shown in first half and Sterling looks like a man who doesn't know his role .

I think Wilshere needs to get deeper, he's sitting too far forward in a spot with no space, if he drops a little deeper, he can take the ball from the defender and use his passing ability in all that space and time, spreading it out to the full backs and into Sterling letting him turn and run at the defence.

Doesn't know his role, despite playing it several times to great success with Liverpool? Sterling will get better if Wilshere drops deeper. 

ITV are now pointing it out too.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:40 pm

In Scholes' heyday he wasn't considered to be the best passer in the premier league, it was as he moved into a deep role that his full range of passing became evident. The same is true of Xavi and Pirlo who both play very deep, it's a role Pirlo has always done back to his heyday alongside Gattusso.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:42 pm

Fernando wrote:
The Special Juan wrote:
Fernando wrote:

Did I hit a nerve there?  Whistle  Wazza to score the winner at the Emirates this season boxing

Nah thought id just remind you that your mid-table side is whipped like a bitch by a fat scouser who isn't very good anymore for £1.2m a month Whistle

Falcao says hi #bantz. One thing I've always admired about Wenger is that he's probably the only manager with principles these days. I love the idea of wage caps but it'll never happen.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:42 pm

This is qualifying game.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by FIFA Diva Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:47 pm

NickisBHAFC wrote:This is qualifying game.

What's your point?
FIFA Diva
FIFA Diva

http://www.manutd.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:47 pm

The Special Juan wrote:
Fernando wrote:
The Special Juan wrote:
Fernando wrote:

Falcao says hi #bantz.  One thing I've always admired about Wenger is that he's probably the only manager with principles these days.  I love the idea of wage caps but it'll never happen.

Yes because United have had goalscoring issues Whistle Just a signing to appease fans when you finish 7th again after conceding 60 plus goals and Rooney handing in another transfer request for a pay rise again Whistle

That's poor banter from a Scot. It's almost like your like a poor mans Alex Salmond angel

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:52 pm

This "banter" is awful.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:53 pm

Ah Raheem
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:53 pm

Amazing dummy from Sterling there to nearly cause an own goal....

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:54 pm

Crimes - Regards Sterling I meant in the sense he doesn't look comfortable as if he isn't sure what's being asked of him. That can be said of all 3 up top...none seem sure as to whose actually leading the line at times.

Wilshere getting into the game straight away from advanced position, nice to see.

In his heyday Pirlo played in front of Gattuso not alongside him; as he aged and lost mobility he played deeper and deeper. Scholars has always been known for his passing...saying he didn't show it until he started playing deep is ludicrous! He retired from England duty because he was never properly utilised in that center midfield role with free role to play as he pleased...the very thing which saw him rise to prominence at Utd in the late 90's.

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:58 pm

Pirlo was the deep player in the diamond, Rui Costa and then later Kaka were the the top point of the diamond. When Pirlo played as the advanced midfielder he was roundly considering a poor player, it wasn't age that made him drop deeper but the realisation that he was better there.

Rui Costa/Kaka

Seedorf - - Gattuso
Pirlo

Delph does what Wilshere does in the advanced role, turn and run, better than Wilshere usually does. 

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:59 pm

Also I'd say there are two views of Scholes, one of the majority of his career where he played as a more traditional central midfielder and often just off the forward, and his later career where he played as a deeper midfielder in the Xabi Alonso mould.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:59 pm

England 1-0 - Welbeck

#SuckItJuan

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:00 pm

GUTTING Crying or Very sad

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:00 pm

Really good pass by Sterling, good run by Rooney.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:01 pm

Wait what a incisive england goal, fantastic totally deserved
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:01 pm

Fernando wrote:
The Special Juan wrote:
Fernando wrote:
The Special Juan wrote:
Fernando wrote:

Falcao says hi #bantz.  One thing I've always admired about Wenger is that he's probably the only manager with principles these days.  I love the idea of wage caps but it'll never happen.

Yes because United have had goalscoring issues Whistle Just a signing to appease fans when you finish 7th again after conceding 60 plus goals and Rooney handing in another transfer request for a pay rise again Whistle

That's poor banter from a Scot. It's almost like your like a poor mans Alex Salmond angel

Excuse me, that's Prime Minister Salmond to you.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:01 pm

Shinned it!!
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:03 pm

Scholes was a buccaneering midfielder who made late runs deep from midfield in his prime, you're simply wrong Owen that he and Pirlo were considered great passers in an advanced position. As Crimey points out Pirlo was the quintessential quarterback as is/was Xavi.

Nice goal by Welbeck there, when he puts in the back of the net his wastefulness can be overlooked to some extent.

I'm amazed nobody picked up Rodriguez, a quality left back with a really good delivery.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next