The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official *England's Passage to Paris 2016* Thread

+47
Derbymanc
VTR
hornbloweroafc
monty junior
LivinginItaly
Brys
CaledonianCraig
Mike Selig
GSC
Josiah Maiestas
dummy_half
dyrewolfe
BamBam
Mad for Chelsea
Mat
spencerclarke
mystiroakey
FIFA Diva
Steffan
Breadvan
The Special Juan
freemo
Soldier_Of_Fortune
MIG
Lowlandbrit
Stella
liverbnz
jbeadlesbigrighthand
Hammersmith harrier
Fernando
Hero
compelling and rich
hampo17
Good Golly I'm Olly
westisbest
Dolphin Ziggler
Ent
super_realist
JDizzle
Crimey
NickisBHAFC
Nakatomi Plaza
Liam
owen10ozzy
Mackem
Marky
Duty281
51 posters

Page 12 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 20  Next

Go down

The Official *England's Passage to Paris 2016* Thread - Page 12 Empty The Official *England's Passage to Paris 2016* Thread

Post by Duty281 Thu 28 Aug 2014, 12:21 pm

First topic message reminder :

Onwards, we go. Latest England squad has been named for the friendly against Norway, and the opening qualifier versus Switzerland.

Goalkeepers: Fraser Forster (Southampton), Ben Foster (West Bromwich Albion), Joe Hart (Manchester City)
Defenders: Leighton Baines (Everton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Calum Chambers (Arsenal), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur), John Stones (Everton)
Midfielders: Jack Colback (Newcastle United), Fabian Delph (Aston Villa), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), James Milner (Manchester City), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal) Raheem Sterling (Liverpool), Andros Townsend (Tottenham Hotspur), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal)
Forwards: Rickie Lambert (Liverpool), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Danny Welbeck (Manchester United)

You know, such a squad does not fill me to the brim with optimism!

Best side we can muster out of that, assuming Roy takes a 4-2-3-1 shape, would probably be:

Hart, Stones, Jagielka, Cahill, Baines, Henderson, Wilshere, Sterling, Rooney, Oxlade, and Sturridge.

Last edited by Duty281 on Thu 28 Aug 2014, 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

The Official *England's Passage to Paris 2016* Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: The Official *England's Passage to Paris 2016* Thread

Post by Stella Mon 17 Nov 2014, 7:53 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:Not you. The poster who likened the match to a meaningless friendly for England but a World Cup Final for Scotland.

Will there will be a national days holiday in Scotland, if you win?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

The Official *England's Passage to Paris 2016* Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: The Official *England's Passage to Paris 2016* Thread

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 17 Nov 2014, 8:04 pm

I don't understand how it'll mean so much to Scotland when half there players are English anyway...
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 17 Nov 2014, 8:05 pm

Scotland will lose. Even us Welsh who are totally rubbish usually beat them

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 17 Nov 2014, 8:13 pm

Who cares, who wins. Two bang average sides, scrapping & attempting to play half decent football, in a over dramatised occasion.

Pointless.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 17 Nov 2014, 8:16 pm

It will definitely mean more to the Scot players. Its clearly a bigger deal for Scotland to win, England would be seen as a scalp to some extent, and the players are definitely lesser (not saying we're great) so it would mean more to them to prove themselves against their opposition. I also think Strachan will have them further pumped up after beating Ireland, making talk of carrying on good form and winning home internationals.

It much depends on who is picked for England. There's a few who I think will be more up for it than others, either older pros or ones trying to make an impression. Add to that how many of the first team are picked and any understanding squad members have.

Id like to see Forster, Clyne, Gibbs, Barkley, Downing, Berahino all given time. And I'd love to see Darren Fletcher captaining Scotland at Hampden against England, the guy deserves it

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 17 Nov 2014, 8:20 pm

Ask any Scot what the priority from this double header was and it was getting the three points from the Ireland match so kind of blows Duty's theory out of the water. On the other hand Roy recognises the challenge ahead realising there hasnt been much of a challenge in the group games so far but this will be one. Sounds like Roy rates us higher than the England fans do.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 17 Nov 2014, 8:24 pm

Why downing Dolph?

What is the point?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 17 Nov 2014, 8:26 pm

Steffan wrote:Scotland will lose. Even us Welsh who are totally rubbish usually beat them

Yes that is true when we are burdened with a useless manager a La Levein. Or when goals are chalked off for no reason as in Fletcher's headed goal when already leading 1-0.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 17 Nov 2014, 8:29 pm

Olly wrote:I don't understand how it'll mean so much to Scotland when half there players are English anyway...

Half? Jeez more exaggerations. A bit rich as well when you look at England's cricket side which is more South African than the wine sold in Asda.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 17 Nov 2014, 8:31 pm

Uh-oh, someone's getting tetchy over a joke! Anyway....

What I am most looking forward to is the anthems - how many Scots will sing about Scotland "being a nation again" after voting no to independence, and how many will whistle over God Save the Queen after voting for the lady in question to be their head of state? Laugh

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 17 Nov 2014, 8:34 pm

Duty dude. Even with an independant Scotland they were still going to keep the queen as the head of state(it's only symbolic anyway) just like other commonwealth nations. Anyway this isn't a place for politics ..

I wish this was a competitive fixture. But it isn't and just because we down South know that does not mean our players are not giving it there all for club and country.

Last edited by mystiroakey on Mon 17 Nov 2014, 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 17 Nov 2014, 8:35 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:
Steffan wrote:Scotland will lose. Even us Welsh who are totally rubbish usually beat them

Yes that is true when we are burdened with a useless manager a La Levein. Or when goals are chalked off for no reason as in Fletcher's headed goal when already leading 1-0.
At least you guys always come for a good time in Cardiff as opposed to England fans who seem more interested in smashing the place up. On that basis...I hope you win tomorrow  thumbsup

Last edited by Steffan on Mon 17 Nov 2014, 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 17 Nov 2014, 8:36 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Duty dude. Even with an independant Scotland they were still going to keep the queen as the head of state(it's only symbolic anyway) just like other commonwealth nations. Anyway this isn't a place for politics ..

I wish this was a competitive fixture. But it isn't and just because we down South know that does not mean our players are not given it there all for club and country.

Were they?! Bloody hell, that is the true definition of independence!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 17 Nov 2014, 8:41 pm

Duty281 wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:Duty dude. Even with an independant Scotland they were still going to keep the queen as the head of state(it's only symbolic anyway) just like other commonwealth nations. Anyway this isn't a place for politics ..

I wish this was a competitive fixture. But it isn't and just because we down South know that does not mean our players are not given it there all for club and country.

An independent country. What do you think?

The queen is the head of state in Canada, Australia, the UK, etc And still would have been in Scotland. But as said, the queen doesn't run anything. The uk is completely independent from the monarchy(in practise)and the prime minister runs the show. Salmond the first minister in Scotland would have become there new prime minister and he alongside SNP would have run Scotland until a new general election..

Last edited by mystiroakey on Mon 17 Nov 2014, 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 17 Nov 2014, 8:41 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:It will definitely mean more to the Scot players. Its clearly a bigger deal for Scotland to win, England would be seen as a scalp to some extent, and the players are definitely lesser (not saying we're great) so it would mean more to them to prove themselves against their opposition. I also think Strachan will have them further pumped up after beating Ireland, making talk of carrying on good form and winning home internationals.

It much depends on who is picked for England. There's a few who I think will be more up for it than others, either older pros or ones trying to make an impression. Add to that how many of the first team are picked and any understanding squad members have.

Id like to see Forster, Clyne, Gibbs, Barkley, Downing, Berahino all given time. And I'd love to see Darren Fletcher captaining Scotland at Hampden against England, the guy deserves it

You will get the gist of what it means to us when the team is named. Quite a few changes I predict proving that it is not a matter of life or death to Scotland and if it means more to our players then does that make them more professional? I mean as a supporter I would want to know that everyone in my team was giving 100% effort and commitment in every game.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 17 Nov 2014, 8:41 pm

Duty281 wrote:

Why is going independent but keeping the queen head of state contradictive then Duty? She is the queen of the Commonwealth and Scotland would still be in the Commonwealth has they voted Yes so I really don't understand your point unless you were just trying to get a rise out of which knowing you is the more likely

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 17 Nov 2014, 8:43 pm

As I am 50% Celtic and 50% Anglo-Saxon, perhaps I should hope for a draw?

Good odds on a draw as well.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 17 Nov 2014, 8:45 pm

mystiroakey wrote:
Duty281 wrote:

The queen is the head of state in Canada, Australia, the UK, etc And still would have been in Scotland. But as said, the queen doesn't run anything. The uk is completely independent from the monarchy(in practise)and the prime minister runs the show. Salmond the first minister in Scotland would have become there new prime minister and he alongside SNP would have run Scotland until a new general election..
laughing

Just what I said as well Mysti. Duty tries his best to be fair bless him

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 17 Nov 2014, 8:47 pm

The only thing is I don't think it was a joke Duty it was a remark made out of a dated opinion.

As for bringing politics into it, well let's put it this way 5% was the difference. Two years ago the polls had the difference at 80% for no. That tells us a lot and says to me it is more a matter of when not if.

Anyway back to the football....
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 17 Nov 2014, 8:49 pm

The difference was 10% . but anyway. This isnt politics class.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 17 Nov 2014, 8:50 pm

mystiroakey wrote:
Duty281 wrote:

As many as 40% in the "Yes" section wanted rid of the monarchy, I believe, on the outcome of a yes vote.

So if they had gone independent, Scotland would have probably had a referendum on the monarchy in good time.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Mon 17 Nov 2014, 8:51 pm

Think the England side will be a bit of a mix of the obvious first choice and some of the younger/fringe players. Forster or Foster in goal, Forster on form. Would like Clyne to continue at right back, Shaw at left back. Cahill and one other at centre back, maybe Chambers-think that's his natural position.

In midfield, I expect Barkley will be played at the top of the diamond, behind Rooney and hopefully Berahino. Would be good to see Ox get some game-time, think he's more than capable of playing where Henderson has been, and Downing on for Barkley at some point as well. Wilshere will probably continue at the base of the diamond which is right, need to keep him in that position if it's where Roy sees him playing.

Mat
6CW Creative

http://twitter.com/#!/DiMattEvansWBA

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 17 Nov 2014, 8:53 pm

Duty281 wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:
Duty281 wrote:

As many as 40% in the "Yes" section wanted rid of the monarchy, I believe, on the outcome of a yes vote.

So if they had gone independent, Scotland would have probably had a referendum on the monarchy in good time.

40% of the yes is about 20% of the nation. It would be a waste of time. The politicians wouldn't bother with it. Hell Canada can't even be bothered .

But we should be singing jerusleum!!!! That is the only thing I care significantly about.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 17 Nov 2014, 8:56 pm

mystiroakey wrote:The difference was 10% . but anyway. This isnt politics class.

No I meant a 5% short of independence and let's remember it was so close Brown panicked into trying to make it into a DevoMax question in a desperate bid to win over voters when polls showed yes vote in the lead.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 17 Nov 2014, 9:05 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Why downing Dolph?

What is the point?

Guy is on fire at the moment and has never played for England in this position he is playing at the moment, he should be playing

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 17 Nov 2014, 9:07 pm

Is he really playing that well?

I haven't seen enough match of the days this year.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 17 Nov 2014, 9:08 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:
Dolphin Ziggler wrote:It will definitely mean more to the Scot players. Its clearly a bigger deal for Scotland to win, England would be seen as a scalp to some extent, and the players are definitely lesser (not saying we're great) so it would mean more to them to prove themselves against their opposition. I also think Strachan will have them further pumped up after beating Ireland, making talk of carrying on good form and winning home internationals.

You will get the gist of what it means to us when the team is named. Quite a few changes I predict proving that it is not a matter of life or death to Scotland and if it means more to our players then does that make them more professional? I mean as a supporter I would want to know that everyone in my team was giving 100% effort and commitment in every game.

Its not a professional thing, its an emotion thing. I think there is a slight unprofessionalism sometimes to younger, cocky players but in general, no I dont think its a "who is more professional" contest. Like if Scotland played San Marino, it means a bit more to the lower placed team.

I completely think neither team cares us much about this game as the game before. Points over pride

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 17 Nov 2014, 9:09 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Is he really playing that well?

I haven't seen enough match of the days this year.

Not even by bias, guy has been incredible. Think only Fabregas has created more chances in the prem, just brilliant playing inside rather than stuck on the flanks

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 17 Nov 2014, 9:15 pm

To be honest I would rather lose the game and have no fan trouble.

The last thing I want is a repeat of 1999 and have that idiot Blatter looking down on the UK from his ivory tower.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 17 Nov 2014, 9:50 pm

mystiroakey wrote:To be honest I would rather lose the game and have no fan trouble.

The last thing I want is a repeat of 1999 and have that idiot Blatter looking down on the UK from his ivory tower.
'English football hooligans are planning to travel to Glasgow for the friendly international against Scotland, according to police intelligence' it says here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-30081378

With a bit of luck the English fans will behave themselves as trouble is never good and it's already been a bad week for the countries reputation with all the corruption revelations

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 17 Nov 2014, 10:00 pm

It's not just English is it. I heard that Scottish firms and English firms have set up organised meets. It still happens but is rarely reported these days.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 17 Nov 2014, 10:10 pm

Football hooligans are idiots. Thankfully we have very little of it in Wales now at club or international level unless it's Cardiff v Swansea where all the nutters come out of the woodwork

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 17 Nov 2014, 10:16 pm

Yeah it's rare in England as well I think. We have all moved forward anyway. But look if they want a fight. Let em do it miles away from anyone else. Let them kill each other for all I care. Just don't put ordinary real football fans at risk.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 18 Nov 2014, 7:09 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:
Duty281 wrote:Would not be surprised if Scotland beat England on Tuesday.

After all, it is a meaningless fixture for England, but a world cup final for the Scottish.

Sorry to burst your bubble but our big game was last Friday. Have a look at the side we put out to see that as well. I think there will be at least three or four changes to the side as Gordon looks to see what others have to offer.

Nope, Scotland have gone for a full strength side with just the one change. England, by clear contrast, have made six.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 18 Nov 2014, 7:21 pm

Roy's made the changes, so he has the ready made excuse of it not being the first team. I actually would of liked too of seen England, outside the comfort zone of Wembley, actually gone full strength & to of shown some kind of progression in taking out a difficult side in Scotland. Roy's away record is appalling, so this decision doesn't surprise me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 18 Nov 2014, 7:33 pm

Friendlies such as this should be the chance for the fringe players to be given a chance so, not starting Ross Barkley apart, I am pretty pleased with the selection.

England beat Switzerland away, a far better team than Scotland on current evidence, so I am not incredibly sure as to how much progression England could have shown if they went full strength and won tonight.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 18 Nov 2014, 7:36 pm

Ally McCoist just referred to the Scotland v Republic of Ireland game last week as 'a classic British game'???

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue 18 Nov 2014, 7:45 pm

Steffan wrote:Ally McCoist just referred to the Scotland v Republic of Ireland game last week as 'a classic British game'???

It's a bit of a faux pas, but everyone knows what he means.

Anyway, Ireland are a part of the 'British Isles'.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 18 Nov 2014, 7:59 pm

Still obsessed with England then, Scotland? Laugh

Good to see!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 18 Nov 2014, 8:00 pm

Proper atmosphere tho
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 18 Nov 2014, 8:07 pm

Glad the Scots booed the anthem so bad it couldn't even be heard just like England fans did to our anthem at Wembley last time

Let's hope that kind of passion is also with the Scottish players tonight

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 18 Nov 2014, 8:11 pm

Because Wales never did the same at Cardiff, eh Steffan?!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 18 Nov 2014, 8:19 pm

Duty281 wrote:Because Wales never did the same at Cardiff, eh Steffan?!
Yes we did but if this match was at Wembley the English fans would be drowning out the Scottish anthem so and everyone knows it so get off your high horse and stop pretending that it all works one way there's a good boy  OK

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 18 Nov 2014, 8:21 pm

Too touchy, Steffan, too touchy. Laugh

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 18 Nov 2014, 8:21 pm

Evidence suggests less than 50% of Scottish people in attendence booed their national anthem anyway
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 18 Nov 2014, 8:22 pm

Duty281 wrote:Too touchy, Steffan, too touchy. Laugh
That's what your mother said last night...

Regards

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 18 Nov 2014, 8:24 pm

Steffan wrote:

Regards

Sorry, how old are you? Bit embarrassing! laughing

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 18 Nov 2014, 8:28 pm

Duty281 wrote:
Steffan wrote:

Regards

Sorry, how old are you? Bit embarrassing! laughing
Nah I'm just kidding Duty I didn't really touch your mother

It would have cost me extra for starters...

Enjoying the game so far?

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 18 Nov 2014, 8:30 pm

Yes, Steffan, 'tis is a most pleasant Tuesday evening encounter.

I think Scotland might get a goal on the set-piece.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 18 Nov 2014, 8:35 pm

Yay I love a jinx! Stupendous cross from Wilshere.

Well done Oxlade. clap

Last edited by Duty281 on Tue 18 Nov 2014, 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 20  Next