The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official *England's Passage to Paris 2016* Thread

+47
Derbymanc
VTR
hornbloweroafc
monty junior
LivinginItaly
Brys
CaledonianCraig
Mike Selig
GSC
Josiah Maiestas
dummy_half
dyrewolfe
BamBam
Mad for Chelsea
Mat
spencerclarke
mystiroakey
FIFA Diva
Steffan
Breadvan
The Special Juan
freemo
Soldier_Of_Fortune
MIG
Lowlandbrit
Stella
liverbnz
jbeadlesbigrighthand
Hammersmith harrier
Fernando
Hero
compelling and rich
hampo17
Good Golly I'm Olly
westisbest
Dolphin Ziggler
Ent
super_realist
JDizzle
Crimey
NickisBHAFC
Nakatomi Plaza
Liam
owen10ozzy
Mackem
Marky
Duty281
51 posters

Page 1 of 20 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next

Go down

The Official *England's Passage to Paris 2016* Thread Empty The Official *England's Passage to Paris 2016* Thread

Post by Duty281 Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:21 pm

Onwards, we go. Latest England squad has been named for the friendly against Norway, and the opening qualifier versus Switzerland.

Goalkeepers: Fraser Forster (Southampton), Ben Foster (West Bromwich Albion), Joe Hart (Manchester City)
Defenders: Leighton Baines (Everton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Calum Chambers (Arsenal), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur), John Stones (Everton)
Midfielders: Jack Colback (Newcastle United), Fabian Delph (Aston Villa), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), James Milner (Manchester City), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal) Raheem Sterling (Liverpool), Andros Townsend (Tottenham Hotspur), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal)
Forwards: Rickie Lambert (Liverpool), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Danny Welbeck (Manchester United)

You know, such a squad does not fill me to the brim with optimism!

Best side we can muster out of that, assuming Roy takes a 4-2-3-1 shape, would probably be:

Hart, Stones, Jagielka, Cahill, Baines, Henderson, Wilshere, Sterling, Rooney, Oxlade, and Sturridge.

Last edited by Duty281 on Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Duty281

Back to top Go down

The Official *England's Passage to Paris 2016* Thread Empty Re: The Official *England's Passage to Paris 2016* Thread

Post by Marky Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:23 pm

Jack Rodwell should be there.

Marky

Back to top Go down

The Official *England's Passage to Paris 2016* Thread Empty Re: The Official *England's Passage to Paris 2016* Thread

Post by Mackem Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:25 pm

Jack colback shouldn't.

Mackem

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:44 pm

Delph is a slightly left field choice but with Colback in it, that selection almost becomes normal; Rodwell has shown better early form as has Lee Cattermole for that matter...the latter was also one of the form players at the tail end of last year add in Ward Prowse and Will Hughes and those selections become pretty disheartening.

I'd have also preferred not to see Milner in that squad; but might as well get used to it as think he will be at Euro 2016! Glen Johnson would have also been picked had he not picked up a knock and that was to be at the expense of John Stones...thank god Gerrard and Lampard took the decision of selection of them out of Roy's hands.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:05 am

I'd play:

Hart

Stones---Cahill---Chambers---Baines---
-------------Wilshere-----------
---Henderson-----------Ox---------
---------------Sterling---------------
---------Rooney-------Sturridge----------

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:19 am

No idea why Colback is in there. Nobes should be quite frustrated. Chambers being in is a bit of a joke and Danny Rose is dire.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nakatomi Plaza Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:25 am

Shelvey, Huddlestone, Ward-Prowse, Barry and Rodwell would all be ahead of Colback in my pecking order. Pleased for Delph, think he's been a rare bright spot for Villa over the past 12 months.

Nakatomi Plaza

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:39 am

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:No idea why Colback is in there. Nobes should be quite frustrated. Chambers being in is a bit of a joke and Danny Rose is dire.

Roy Hogdson - ''Jack Colback is like a ginger Andrea Pirlo''. picard

Seriously, how is this guy the England manager? I like Jack, he's surprised me since he's come to my club but this statement is just ridiculously comical.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nakatomi Plaza Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:02 am

Hodgson actual verbatim quote; "Someone who knows him very well called Jack 'the ginger Pirlo' - lets hope that becomes true"

In it's full context that quote isn't that bad, but it will be taken out of context all of the time now.

Nakatomi Plaza

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:05 am

Roy Hodgson - heaven knows how many times I will defending him over the next couple of years! - never said that. What he did say was:

"Someone who knows him very well called Jack the "ginger Pirlo" - let's hope that becomes true."

Nothing close to the quote provided by John.

I will also hammer down my early reasoning by saying that I would be pleased if England managed a draw against Switzerland...because that is all we need in this ludicrously easy qualifying group! The preceding friendly against Norway (are they playing a fifteen year old?) will just be a chance to blood some young players, and get a first win post-Brazil 2014.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:08 am

haha, i heard it on the radio, so i apologise. it obviously got altered. yeah, it's not too bad i guess but still don't expect jack or fabian to make any inroads into this side. roy will have his favourites for the campaign, i doubt we will see much difference to the side that played in the WC, just minus gerrard.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:12 am

The Official *England's Passage to Paris 2016* Thread 10635953_10205041551986263_567257847618824685_n

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:39 am

So happy the ginger Pirlo is in that team. Buzzing that Delph and Rose are in there as well!

Team ill go for

GK Hart
RB Chambers
LB Baines
CB Cahill
CB Jones
RDM Henderson
LDM Wilshere
AM Rooney
ARM Oxlade Chamberlin
ALM Sterling
ST Sturridge

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:48 am

As much as people do criticise the so-called "Golden Generation" it's clear that it was the height of English players. The emerging pool of talent it's clear won't be as good. 

Strangely, the English players that were at the time some of the best in the world, around 2008 with Gerrard, Lampard, Cole, Terry, Ferdinand, Neville, Rooney, Hargreaces were at the best teams in Europe and at the heart of those teams was when England didn't even qualify for a major tournament which is crazy when you think about it. On paper England should have had one of the best teams going into that tournament.

Hopefully England will perhaps have a better team in reality after so long having such a good team on paper.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:52 am

Crimey wrote:As much as people do criticise the so-called "Golden Generation" it's clear that it was the height of English players. The emerging pool of talent it's clear won't be as good. 

Strangely, the English players that were at the time some of the best in the world, around 2008 with Gerrard, Lampard, Cole, Terry, Ferdinand, Neville, Rooney, Hargreaces were at the best teams in Europe and at the heart of those teams was when England didn't even qualify for a major tournament which is crazy when you think about it. On paper England should have had one of the best teams going into that tournament.

Hopefully England will perhaps have a better team in reality after so long having such a good team on paper.

Scott Carson is all to blame for that though tbh.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:09 am

During the Golden Generation (say 2004-2010) the defence was very rarely the problem. It was achieving the right balance in attack, adopting a fluid tactical shape, picking players that were fit and in form, and playing the best players in the best position - those four things all went awry.

Under Sven, England were too negative, by and large. They played a rigid 4-4-2 most of the time; Sven persisted with Gerrard and Lampard in the middle, even when it were clear it would not work; he played Scholes out of position in 2004 thus alienating him from the national team; he made the ludicrous decision to select Walcott and Lennon for 2006; he played Rooney in 2006 when he clearly was not fit to play.

England should have done better than three quarterfinals from 2002-2006, but some weak management cost the team as a whole. Sven was certainly set in his ways.

Then England moved to Steve McClaren: a farcical appointment. It all went wrong when the circus began in early 2006, and he should never have been appointed as England manager owing to his previous status as Sven's assistant. Tactically, McClaren was out of his depth. Man-management wise he began strongly, with some firm decisions, but wavered as time wore on...admittedly not helped with injuries. That time for England was a disaster.

Finally, Fabio Capello. Like Sven, started out very well and rapidly went downhill. Qualification was a breeze, but it all fell apart at the business end. Again, like Sven, he made some strange squad decisions (no Walcott?), stuck with a rigid 4-4-2, played some players who were either unfit (Ledley King) or out of position (Steven Gerrard) or disastrously out of form (SWP or Aaron Lennon). Whatever conviction he may of once held was soon lost after he did not have the courage to drop Rooney after the 0-0 with Algeria; all the world could see that Wazza's head were gone.

Then the debacle with the training camp and the Capello index. Oh dear me. Funnily enough, international football was so poor at that World Cup that England could have still fluked their way to a semi-final - like 1990 - if the referee had seen Lampard's shot over the line.

Overall, that is why I like (not quite the past tense yet) Roy Hodgson as manager. Tactically he developed England from 4-4-1-1 to a more fluid 4-2-3-1, whilst trying a 4-3-3 en route. He brought through some young players and made some bold selection choices - Oxlade versus France, Townsend against Montenegro, and Sterling versus Italy - not to mention the more in-form, and deserving, squad he chose for the World Cup.

But now he is slipping into some poor habits. This qualification campaign is a perfect chance to blood some youngsters, and develop cohesion for a vibrant, attacking, young team. Instead, he tried to talk Gerrard and Lampard out of retirement and retain their inclusion for England, a clear backward step. He has given the captaincy to Rooney, thusly ensuring his selection for the next two years and, therefore, depriving a place to a more hungry competitor.

Let me be clear here: England have a chance of going far in Euro 2016. The semifinals should be their minimum expectation. There is only one high-calibre side in all of Europe, presently: Germany. England have a chance here of doing well. But Hodgson must be brave and courageous in his convictions; something which is seemingly starting to ebb away from him. His bluster, for instance, a couple of months ago that he would not be scared to drop Wayne Rooney should the need arise was just that: bluster.

I suppose we shall just have to wait. Qualification will not be an issue, but conquering Europe altogether is another factor entirely.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:36 am

John Stones isn't good enough as a RB. He got torn to shreds in the Merseyside derby last year playing there. Positionally not good enough at RB, CB or nothing at international level at the moment for me.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Nakatomi Plaza Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:08 pm

John wrote:The Official *England's Passage to Paris 2016* Thread 10635953_10205041551986263_567257847618824685_n

Just read it was Talksport resident village idiot Adrian Durham who came up with the Ginger Pirlo nickname, which shows that Hodgson been paying attention to that moron. picard

Nakatomi Plaza

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:40 pm

Duty281 wrote:During the 1.BROWN Generation

Let me be clear here: England have a chance of going far in Euro 2016. 2.The semifinals should be their minimum expectation. There is only one high-calibre side in all of Europe, presently: Germany. 3.England have a chance here of doing well. But Hodgson must be brave and courageous in his convictions; something which is seemingly starting to ebb away from him. His bluster, for instance, a couple of months ago that he would not be scared to drop Wayne Rooney should the need arise was just that: bluster.

I suppose we shall just have to wait. Qualification will not be an issue, but conquering Europe altogether is another factor entirely.

1. Laugh
2. Laugh Laugh
3. Laugh Laugh picard picard

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:57 pm

Duty do you not get fed up with this blind optimism only for England to do terribly in every tournament?

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:14 pm

Ent wrote:Duty do you not get fed up with this blind optimism only for England to do terribly in every tournament?

Actually I find it helps me sleep at night! As I will have no interest in the next World Cup if it remains in Russia, I can use two tournaments worth of optimism on Euro 2016.

Much like the last World Cup, either Germany or England will win this tournament.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:19 pm

Duty281 wrote:
Ent wrote:Duty do you not get fed up with this blind optimism only for England to do terribly in every tournament?

Actually I find it helps me sleep at night! As I will have no interest in the next World Cup if it remains in Russia, I can use two tournaments worth of optimism on Euro 2016.

Much like the last World Cup, either Germany or England will win this tournament.

England were one of the worst teams at the last world cup, coming bottom of their group and getting a single point from a 0-0 draw in a dead rubber game against the group winners.

Are you taking the urine?

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:57 pm

Duty281 wrote:

You might as well say either Germany or "insert any other European team, including Gibraltar" will win this tournament.

England are an International footballing joke and they'll be lucky to be considered one of the second tier nations at the tournament.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:47 pm

Duty, England are a poor average country at football. The World Cup showed just how poor wew were. Were not going to win anything until changes are made. 

Face it, were rubbish end of.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:42 am

Stones should be getting game time. Next generation and about as good as Jagielka anyway.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:59 pm

Nakatomi Plaza wrote:Shelvey, Huddlestone, Ward-Prowse, Barry and Rodwell would all be ahead of Colback in my pecking order. Pleased for Delph, think he's been a rare bright spot for Villa over the past 12 months.

True plaza.

said it towards the end of last season that he should get a call up.
As a Villa fan, very pleased for him.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:33 am

"@SkySportsNewsHQ: England XI against Norway: Hart; Stones, Jones, Cahill, Baines; Oxlade-Chamberlain, Henderson, Wilshere, Sterling; Rooney, Sturridge. #SSNHQ"

Three months too late with the midfield pairing Roy
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:40 am

Yeah I'm happy with that team. Stones at right back worries me a little, he is beret in the middle. I would of started Chambers.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:44 am

Still not convinced on Wilshere, but there isn't really an alternative. Hopefully Henderson can take his Liverpool form and quality into the England set up.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:53 am

Stones is not a right back. That infuriates me but the experience of playing for England can only be good for him. Clyne should have been given a chance in that squad.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:56 am

Yeah no idea why he's gone Jones over Stones at CB. Could've even gone Chambers
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:00 am

Jones has played alright this year and I think he should be groomed by England to play there more. Jones is a little ahead of Stones development wise so I have no problems with that.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:06 am

I prefer Jones at RB personally
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:12 am

It could be the other way round, that's presumably just how Sky Sports prediction of the actual positions.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:00 pm

This could be a very tough game for England.
A disparate team of international inexperience against a team of dogged, well disciplined, match fit professionals 2/3rds of the way through their domestic season.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Mackem Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:12 pm

Be interesting weather they'll play 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2. If it is 4-2-3-1 who will play in the no10 role? Rooney or sterling. Personally id play rooney behind Sturridge with sterling on the left. I'm looking forward to see how Henderson plays without Gerrard. I think he'll do well.

Mackem

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:51 pm

I'd be surprised if England won this comfortably.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:19 pm

Mackem wrote:Be interesting weather they'll play 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2. If it is 4-2-3-1 who will play in the no10 role? Rooney or sterling. Personally id play rooney behind Sturridge with sterling on the left. I'm looking forward to see how Henderson plays without Gerrard. I think he'll do well.

4312 is the best formation, Sterling flourishes when played in the middle and will allow us to play two upfront.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:21 pm

I'm watching purely for Alexander Tettey

Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:54 am

Wow, there must be less than 20,000 at Wembley tonight.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:23 am

Its friendlies like these where they should go back to going around the country rather than playing in a half empty stadium

I remember going to watch England/Croatia friendly at Portman Road once. Was quality
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:24 am

Yeah I remember those days Olly, I went to watch them play Paraguay at Wembley. Fantastic atmosphere that night.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:28 am

Is this a friendly?  Laugh

I thought it was qualifying.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:33 am

its embarrassing that rooney is england captain, hes been rubbish in the shirt for ten years

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:36 am

God we're awful. Roy clearly motivated the boys for this game. Flat as a pancake.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:36 am

Been a bit disappointed with Oxlade-Chamberlain, needs to get his head up more.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:03 am

Meanwhile in Germany Di Maria has scored 1 and assisted 3 times v Germany Shocked

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:12 am

Didn't the Real Madrid friendly not teach you to judge by them ?

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:19 am

Okay I'll just base it on his performance in the Champions League final then Wink

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:21 am

Going with 1 off games still then Whistle That's like me saying Sanogo is quality cos he scored 4 in the Emirates cup Whistle

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 20 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next