The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nadal withdraws from US Open due to injury

+21
NeverDefendedTitleOffClay
yloponom68
CaledonianCraig
Jahu
Danny_1982
TRuffin
laverfan
Born Slippy
DirectView2
hawkeye
Josiah Maiestas
Haddie-nuff
Henman Bill
lags72
HM Murdock
The Special Juan
Johnyjeep
super_realist
YvonneT
bogbrush
sirfredperry
25 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Nadal withdraws from US Open due to injury  - Page 2 Empty Nadal withdraws from US Open due to injury

Post by sirfredperry Mon 18 Aug 2014, 2:18 pm

First topic message reminder :

Rafa has just pulled out of the US Open due to injury. A great pity and also means a bit of a shake-up at the top. Comments?

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Nadal withdraws from US Open due to injury  - Page 2 Empty Re: Nadal withdraws from US Open due to injury

Post by bogbrush Mon 18 Aug 2014, 8:14 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:Maybe a right handed serve.... has that occurred to you
It did, but then I remembered that Federer would eat Nadal for breakfast if he played right handed and decided it would be too embarrassing to say it out loud.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Nadal withdraws from US Open due to injury  - Page 2 Empty Re: Nadal withdraws from US Open due to injury

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 18 Aug 2014, 8:18 pm

Well perhaps he was experimenting with it.. or a different grip he did that on his serve once before if you remember. In any case I dont mean play rh only serve rh..... on the other hand like us all BB.... time catches up and it could be plain on wear and tear
(pardon the pun)

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Mon 18 Aug 2014, 8:23 pm

Shame... One less box office player to watch, one more * slam for whoever wins it, and one more to the 'he would've won it' virtual Nadal slam total!

Shakes things up though.

I remember badly spraining my wrist when I was 15. Worst few weeks of my teenage years. Left hand just wasn't the same.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Mon 18 Aug 2014, 9:03 pm

bogbrush wrote:
HM Murdoch wrote:
bogbrush wrote:Does ANYONE know how he did this though? I've been doing a lot of heavy work in the last few weeks and my wrist / hand has been killing me.
Is that employment work or one of your self-inflicted hard labour projects as recreation time?
The latter. Got a few days left and planned about three months worth of tough stuff for next year or thereafter. I'm off to plant my backside at work in a few days sadly, but at least for now I'm fit & tanned.
Love it.

In my mind's eye, you are knocking up something like this in your garden.

If it's not that, don't tell me, I rather like the idea.
Nadal withdraws from US Open due to injury  - Page 2 Cabin1

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 18 Aug 2014, 9:25 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:
bogbrush wrote:
HM Murdoch wrote:
bogbrush wrote:Does ANYONE know how he did this though? I've been doing a lot of heavy work in the last few weeks and my wrist / hand has been killing me.
Is that employment work or one of your self-inflicted hard labour projects as recreation time?
The latter. Got a few days left and planned about three months worth of tough stuff for next year or thereafter. I'm off to plant my backside at work in a few days sadly, but at least for now I'm fit & tanned.
Love it.

In my mind's eye, you are knocking up something like this in your garden.

If it's not that, don't tell me, I rather like the idea.
Nadal withdraws from US Open due to injury  - Page 2 Cabin1
I wish I had the skill!

It's on the right lines though, so I think you can take it. Tree felling, chopping & splitting, plus land clearing down to rock (granite) and making back up into neat beds fitted to the rocks so Mrs B can plant up loads of really pretty flower beds. Very tough dealing with roots, big stones, carry to fires, that sort of thing.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Mon 18 Aug 2014, 9:27 pm

He should be investigated for missing large chunks of every season.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 18 Aug 2014, 9:31 pm

This idea that it unbalances the draw...... I don't get it. If he was in you'd have Novak & him, then Fed in one tough half. Surely this makes it more balanced?

Who'd bet on a Wimbledon final rematch?
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Mon 18 Aug 2014, 9:48 pm

W final rematch would be great. But I have a feeling Fed won't get there. Grass yes, but on hard he always looks too fatigued come the last week these days.

I have a sneak for Dimitrov.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 18 Aug 2014, 9:49 pm

Sad news. The slams are the creme de la creme of the tennis season and you want all the best players there and it isn't going to happen here. Hopefully, it is not too serious an injury and Rafa is back soon.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 18 Aug 2014, 9:55 pm

Seeing Craig made me remember this puts Murray in as 8th seed and avoids a 4th round meeting with one of the big boys,
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 18 Aug 2014, 9:58 pm

bogbrush wrote:Seeing Craig made me remember this puts Murray in as 8th seed and avoids a 4th round meeting with one of the big boys,

There is that but still a big gap has been left by Nadal's absence.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Mon 18 Aug 2014, 10:01 pm

Makes no difference - top 4 can only play 13-16 seeds in R4.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by YvonneT Mon 18 Aug 2014, 10:36 pm

The biggest winner is Federer, who gets his own half of the draw, followed by Ferrer, who gets his own quarter.

Murray at 9 would have faced Ferrer, Raonic, Berdych or Dimitrov. At 8, he faces Tsonga, Nishikori, Gulbis or Gasquet (or Isner if Nishikori doesn't play). Second group as a whole is slightly easier and less consistent, but also contains the only player who has shown any great form the last fortnight. Fact is, the way he's playing, he could lose to any of them (or before!). I don't think Murray has got any big advantage out of this.

YvonneT

Back to top Go down

Post by yloponom68 Mon 18 Aug 2014, 11:27 pm

A Major definitely loses something when one of the "Big Boys" doesn't play, shame for the tournament, fans, media and all concerned.

Agree with above that it actually puts a little more pressure on the remaining "Big Boys" as it's one less "Big Boy" to "get through" to win the title. Draw will be very interesting for sure in light of this.

Not counting eggs and chickens for anyone at this point, we've all seen some pretty big upsets before, though with BOF, some of the recent ones of the past two weeks, are less likely. Still nice chance for several players to make a round or two more than they might have, depending on the draw. Won't be quite as glued to the TV as usual but still once it gets to fourth round - all to play for, win, loose, etc., as always.

yloponom68

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Mon 18 Aug 2014, 11:30 pm

Interesting to note the bookies odds for the US Open before the Federer v Murray match when I looked vs now after Nadal's withdrawal.

Basically, Federer's odds to win were slashed by about half and no one else's seemed to move at all!

Before playing Federer, Murray was the clear 2nd favourite for the US Open. Now, following Nadal's withdrawal, Federer is the clear 2nd favourite. I suppose his promotion to a top 2 seeding, and his win over Murray, may have had as much affect as the H2H with Nadal.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by NeverDefendedTitleOffClay Tue 19 Aug 2014, 12:18 am

I'm laughing my head off.  I told you I'd be back to have a good laugh, as well.  All those lovely, juicy points have evaporated, just as I said they would.  I've really enjoyed watching them vanish too.  Sooner Nadal takes his gamesmanship somewhere else the better.  The US Open is a far, far better tournament without Nadal, and he likely would have been beaten early anyway.

Some of you around here are delusional.  You speak as if Federer's chances hinge on Nadal being in or out of the tournament.  News flash... Nadal couldn't even beat another rank 100 at Wimbledon to get anywhere near a 33 year old Federer.  Put that in your pipes and smoke it.  Along with this:

300+ weeks no. 1
Aussie Open 4-1
Wimbledon 7-2
US Open 5-2
ATP Tour Finals 6-0

As for Murray, he is, and always was, a boring baseline retriever. He is getting old now, and is unlikely to win another slam. He also suffered a real injury.

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 19 Aug 2014, 12:31 am

Have your laugh you are in the minority whatever else you might like to think

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by NeverDefendedTitleOffClay Tue 19 Aug 2014, 12:35 am

Haddie-nuff wrote:Have your laugh you are in the minority whatever else you might like to think

Yeah, got some stats to back that up, have you :P

Also, another note to all these silly Nadal fans.  Your man has benefited greatly from having Del Potro and Soderling injured for so long.  Two players who are more than capable of making him look stupid.

Suck it up!

As for my laugh... it's only just begun. That arrogant, fist pumping twerp is coming to the end. And it's going to be glorious to watch him losing week on week, and his fans getting back what they've been dishing out.  kiss 

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 19 Aug 2014, 12:42 am

NeverDefendedTitleOffClay wrote:
Haddie-nuff wrote:Have your laugh you are in the minority whatever else you might like to think

Also, another note to all these silly Nadal fans.  Your man has benefited greatly from having Del Potro and Soderling injured for so long.  Two players who are more than capable of making him look stupid.

Suck it up!

As for my laugh... it's only just begun.  That arrogant, fist pumping twerp is coming to the end.  And it's going to be glorious to watch him losing week on week, and his fans getting back what they've been dishing out.  kiss 

I hope the mods are viewing your posts whoever you are because I think you may well be treading a fine line... enjoy your wumming whilst it lasts picard

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Tue 19 Aug 2014, 2:49 am

Mr. NDTOC can you say us who exactly you are? should be homogenized I guess  Wink 

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 19 Aug 2014, 7:06 am

NeverDefendedTitleOffClay wrote:

Suck it up!

As for my laugh... it's only just begun.  That arrogant, fist pumping twerp is coming to the end.  And it's going to be glorious to watch him losing week on week, and his fans getting back what they've been dishing out.  kiss 

Have you ever thought of going on an anger management course? It may help these bouts of enraged outbursts.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Tue 19 Aug 2014, 9:02 am

Don't feed the trolls...
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Tue 19 Aug 2014, 9:03 am

That is some top quality trolling from NDTOC.

Marvellous work.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by NeverDefendedTitleOffClay Tue 19 Aug 2014, 9:26 am

Anger management? I suppose that might help if I was actually angry. Instead, I'm very happy at the moment that he ain't playing. I am not sure where you read in "angry", but I guess you are now an expert psychologist. I've got one on you... you're a rabid Murray fanboy :P

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 19 Aug 2014, 10:14 am

invisiblecoolers wrote:Mr. NDTOC can you say us who exactly you are? should be homogenized I guess  Wink 
Yep our resident bore returned for a while. Not yet had the right therapy for his illness it would seem.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 19 Aug 2014, 10:16 am

I see the village dumbass has stumbled back in.

Stick to snooker you boring fart!

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 19 Aug 2014, 12:20 pm

Bad form to not even show up when he's clearly able to practice. Federer and Murray play with back spasms and the flu the last 2 years or more. It could be more of wanting a break from competing, I don't say he's never ijured because every player is, they do still turn up for these slams though.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue 19 Aug 2014, 12:32 pm

It's unclear just how bad things are for Rafa. But if he's already ditched Canada and Cinci and now decides not to play at GS when he's the defending champion then it doesn't sound too good.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 19 Aug 2014, 12:49 pm

sirfredperry wrote:It's unclear just how bad things are for Rafa. But if he's already ditched Canada and Cinci and now decides not to play at GS when he's the defending champion then it doesn't sound too good.
Well yes, nobody can read his mind or know what his wrists are feeling like. This seems to always happen after he loses in a slam, not when he loses in a M1000.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Tue 19 Aug 2014, 2:43 pm

He is a dodgy geezer, I tell you  warning 
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Tue 19 Aug 2014, 3:02 pm

Ok maybe, he is not.

Just a unlucky boy.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 19 Aug 2014, 7:48 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:Who will take over his mantle as worst time violator and overall punkish behaviour?

Why does he not get a bad wrist in RG?  Whistle 

Maybe he does but he's just so far ahead of most players there that he can still win and nobody notices?

Bad luck, Rafa, get well soon. Bring on Dimi-JWT support mode
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 19 Aug 2014, 8:04 pm

The latest I heard was that Rafa attempted a couple of backhands without the splint and was still in pain... hence his decision was that he obviously had no chance playing in a slam.  How much longer he needs to rest up is still undecided.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2