The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nadal withdraws from US Open due to injury

+21
NeverDefendedTitleOffClay
yloponom68
CaledonianCraig
Jahu
Danny_1982
TRuffin
laverfan
Born Slippy
DirectView2
hawkeye
Josiah Maiestas
Haddie-nuff
Henman Bill
lags72
HM Murdock
The Special Juan
Johnyjeep
super_realist
YvonneT
bogbrush
sirfredperry
25 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Nadal withdraws from US Open due to injury  Empty Nadal withdraws from US Open due to injury

Post by sirfredperry Mon 18 Aug 2014, 2:18 pm

Rafa has just pulled out of the US Open due to injury. A great pity and also means a bit of a shake-up at the top. Comments?

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Nadal withdraws from US Open due to injury  Empty Re: Nadal withdraws from US Open due to injury

Post by Guest Mon 18 Aug 2014, 2:21 pm

Well that debunks kneel_before_nadal's bold predictions! Laugh

Back to top Go down

Nadal withdraws from US Open due to injury  Empty Re: Nadal withdraws from US Open due to injury

Post by bogbrush Mon 18 Aug 2014, 2:24 pm

What the Hell's he done to the wrist?

You have to do serious work to a wrist to put it in this state, I should know......
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 18 Aug 2014, 2:27 pm

According to reports, Rafa is "very sorry" about having to withdraw. It's always a little deflating when one of the big guys aint around. Of course, no one knows for sure whether Rafa has done himself in through his clay-court exertions. But it does seem to be that failing to last the full year is becoming a bit of a unfortunate habit with him.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by YvonneT Mon 18 Aug 2014, 2:31 pm

From reports of how limited his practices were, this seemed almost inevitable. Given that it means YE no.1 likely out of reach too, I'd also be surprised if he travelled to Asia this year but that's just my guess. Might make him more of a force in the indoors swing.

YvonneT

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 18 Aug 2014, 2:33 pm

Laugh cake guinness Whisky Ale Ale Ale 

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by YvonneT Mon 18 Aug 2014, 2:38 pm

Draw for the US Open will be interesting. Federer as no.2 seed will have only Ferrer or Wawrinka as projected semi final opponent and Raonic, Berdych, Dimitrov or Murray at quarter final stage. Unless Berdych or Murray suddenly find some form, that's some opportunity. Can't face Tsonga or Gulbis either until QF. Hard to see where any threat comes from really.

YvonneT

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 18 Aug 2014, 2:40 pm

Interesting impact on seeding; it balances it up a bit (in that one side was going to be noticeably better whichever side Federer was on). Now it's Djokovic & Federer at #1 & 2, with attention turning to where Murray, Tsonga and the resurgent Ferrer are.

I hadn't heard anything until now but it's an odd thing. How did he do it?

Last edited by bogbrush on Mon 18 Aug 2014, 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnyjeep Mon 18 Aug 2014, 2:40 pm

Joking aside, it is very unfortunate. But almost entirely predictable. He does play himself into the ground when he plays. Knows no other way. I would think he's the same in training. Rarely does he play at a consistent high level all through out the year. And when he has done, it is because he has had a lenghty lay-off the previous season.

It makes sense though. By being sensible I would say he is adding another couple of years to his career with the guarantee of more titles rather than play in parts of the season which do not historically "favour" him.

Joking not aside, this will be another slam added to his tally when his career does, regrettably, come to an end.

Johnyjeep

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Mon 18 Aug 2014, 2:43 pm

It's not even the left wrist, it's the right wrist picard
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 18 Aug 2014, 2:43 pm

Johnyjeep wrote:
Joking not aside, this will be another slam added to his tally when his career does, regrettably, come to an end.

I understand Kyriakos is already held up as stymying another virtual *Grand Slam, and enquiries are under way on that too.

* excluding injury
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 18 Aug 2014, 2:44 pm

The Special Juan wrote:It's not even the left wrist, it's the right wrist picard
Well he is right handed.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Mon 18 Aug 2014, 2:47 pm

I said it on the tennis news thread but the stars seem to be aligning for Federer.

He's fit, he's in good form and, of the only three players on tour who could start a match as favourite against him, one is absent and the other two are out of form.

It has to be said too though, that this is a golden opportunity for Djokovic too, if he can get to anywhere near his best.

Also a great opportunity for a new winner.

Most open slam in long time.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Mon 18 Aug 2014, 3:06 pm

bogbrush wrote:
The Special Juan wrote:It's not even the left wrist, it's the right wrist picard
Well he is right handed.

I knew that (I think, on the contrary, Sharapova is actually left handed). I wonder if it was caused by a non-tennis related incident.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Mon 18 Aug 2014, 3:10 pm

The Special Juan wrote:
bogbrush wrote:
Well he is right handed.

I knew that (I think, on the contrary, Sharapova is actually left handed).  I wonder if it was caused by a non-tennis related incident.
Could it be a shuffling injury?

He's a keen poker player but I don't know how much shuffling he does. Presumably more if he's alone.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Mon 18 Aug 2014, 3:15 pm

YvonneT wrote:Draw for the US Open will be interesting. Federer as no.2 seed will have only Ferrer or Wawrinka as projected semi final opponent and Raonic, Berdych, Dimitrov or Murray at quarter final stage. Unless Berdych or Murray suddenly find some form, that's some opportunity. Can't face Tsonga or Gulbis either until QF. Hard to see where any threat comes from really.

In theory, yes.

But then you only have to go back 12 months to see just how tenuous one's predictions/projections can be when it comes to the Slams. Federer was sailing along very nicely last year, three quick wins in easy straights and next up was Robredo in R16. Another comfortable win surely, on the back of his perfect 10-0 streak .....? But things didn't quite go to form, as we know ......  Shocked 

I always like to see the strongest possible field at each of the Slams, so for me it's a disappointment that the USO will be missing one of the Tour's biggest stars. But it seems that Rafa is just not designed to complete more than the occasional truly full season, and it's been mostly more like seven months or so throughout his career - sometimes even less.

Maybe a brand new winner this year .....good opportunity for someone to make his mark.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Mon 18 Aug 2014, 3:16 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:Well that debunks kneel_before_nadal's bold predictions! Laugh

Safe to say they were debunked some time ago.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 18 Aug 2014, 3:18 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:
The Special Juan wrote:
bogbrush wrote:
Well he is right handed.

I knew that (I think, on the contrary, Sharapova is actually left handed).  I wonder if it was caused by a non-tennis related incident.

He's a keen poker player but I don't know how much shuffling he does. Presumably more if he's alone.
This could be it. I hear he shuffles for well over 30 seconds before dealing. There've been complaints but rarely does anything get done about it.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Mon 18 Aug 2014, 3:33 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:
The Special Juan wrote:
bogbrush wrote:
Well he is right handed.

Does he shuffle every day?
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Mon 18 Aug 2014, 3:38 pm

My mistake. I thought he shuffled because he was a poker player but it is actually because he is a magician.
Nadal withdraws from US Open due to injury  Rafa_nadal_pokerstars

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Mon 18 Aug 2014, 3:53 pm

Nadynamo?
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Mon 18 Aug 2014, 3:57 pm

Real blow for the tournament and for the man himself. It seems that Rafa ascended to the tennis world no 1 position in 2008, and in some ways (apart from a major exception in 2011 and the AO 2012 with his losing run against Djokovic) since then has either been #1, or had an injury affected year. The interesting question is whether the consequence of playing a gruelling physical game, in the same way that Del Potro has had a consequence of socking with extra power, while someone like Roger Federer reaped the benefits of a sensible, skill based game that doesn't overload on the body. Or maybe it's just bad luck in having had injuries at certain times or being born more susceptible to them.

In terms of effect on the season, the ranking points are now up http://www.atpworldtour.com/rankings/ytd-singles.aspx?d=18.08.2014&r=1&c=
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Rankings/Singles.aspx

In race to year end, Rafa leads by 485 points going into the US Open, so Fed needs the semi final points (I think those are 700 or 720) to go 2 in the race. A Fed title win coupled with a Djokovic semi final defeat would put those two neck and neck in the race.

A title win by Fed would also mean he takes back the actual no 2 ranking, a final defeat would put him quite close but just short for now.

Djokovic must be strongly odds on now for a year end number 1 position. A win at the US Open should all but seal it. If Djokovic can find his mojo/form then it's his to lose.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 18 Aug 2014, 4:00 pm

The Special Juan wrote:Nadynamo?
Looks more 'Siegfried & Rafa".
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 18 Aug 2014, 4:27 pm

How do you think he copes with his double handed back hand if he is not using his right wrist...??? he would never be able to switch to a single handed back hand.... as I understand it he got the injury during a training session in Manacor

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Mon 18 Aug 2014, 4:36 pm

bogbrush wrote:
The Special Juan wrote:Nadynamo?
Looks more 'Siegfried & Rafa".

Didn't one of them get mauled by the tiger they used?
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Mon 18 Aug 2014, 4:38 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:How do you think he copes with his double handed back hand if he is not using his right wrist...??? he would never be able to switch to a single handed back hand.... as I understand it he got the injury during a training session in Manacor

You never really hear about players injuring their "other hand/wrist" unless they fall on it (I think that happened to Henin @ Wimbledon). It must have resulted from a really unfortunate accident.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 18 Aug 2014, 4:48 pm

Im not totally sure of the incident but it appears he has damage the shaft of the tendon... dont ask me to enlarge on that Im no physician but I did have the impression that once the splint came off he would then have his wrist bound... this doesnt appear to be the case but I know he has seen his ususal doctor in Barcelona (the one who sorted his knees) He must be on full time employment in Rafa's case but I cannot seem to get much more than that. I saw someone helping him into a car with his tennis bag  Rafa wasn't touching it with his right hand

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon 18 Aug 2014, 4:49 pm

Who will take over his mantle as worst time violator and overall punkish behaviour?

Why does he not get a bad wrist in RG?  Whistle 
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 18 Aug 2014, 5:03 pm

Here is the official definition of the injury... but not how he did it

Go back to bed JM... picard 

Doctors found a minor detachment of the posterior cubital tunnel of his right wrist. The cubital tunnel houses the ulnar nerve, which runs from the elbow to the fingers.

Wrist injuries have been commonplace in tennis this season, with men’s world No 8 Juan Martín del Potro undergoing surgery and Laura Robson falling to fourth in the British women’s rankings after a similar issue. While Nadal’s injury is to his right wrist, not his dominant hand, his two-handed backhand would still be badly affected

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon 18 Aug 2014, 5:15 pm

Rolling Eyes So this is the thread were all the sad losers congregate to celebrate an injury withdrawal. Says a lot. Every players biggest rival is Nadal. This includes Nadal himself.

Personally I hate it when any player gets injured.

Haddie. You are probably wasting your time as I'm not sure that many will stop doing cartwheels of delight for long enough to read any rational description of wrist injuries.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 18 Aug 2014, 5:30 pm

Yes HE Ive no doubt you are right.. but I have shown the facts how some posters wish to interpret them in their own jaundiced view  .. says more about them ..though they will continue to call themselves a fan of tennis and we know who they are dont we.. But anything that helps give the old man Smugly a helping hand.will be cheered .. and poor old Novak who has a wife that is "ill" .. o no sorry she is pregnant isnt she.. silly me . how on earth did Smugly manage with his wife having two sets of twins....??? still its obvious that the prayer mats were out and have been put to good use.  Didnt realise that actually work must try one at some time

For my part get well Rafa you too Delpo the game misses you both ...
Some of what we have playing at the moment you could both beat with your bad wrists tied behind your back.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 18 Aug 2014, 5:32 pm

I can't see any celebrations.

All I see is the odd joke and one bit of cynicism.

Nothing wrong with that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 18 Aug 2014, 5:37 pm

And  music you say it best when you say nothing at all music

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by DirectView2 Mon 18 Aug 2014, 5:42 pm

bogbrush wrote:
HM Murdoch wrote:
The Special Juan wrote:
bogbrush wrote:
Well he is right handed.

This could be it. I hear he shuffles for well over 30 seconds before dealing. There've been complaints but rarely does anything get done about it.

Does he get a time warning there as well?

DirectView2

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 18 Aug 2014, 5:46 pm

Yes HE ... as you were saying  Doh

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by DirectView2 Mon 18 Aug 2014, 5:48 pm

hawkeye wrote:Rolling Eyes So this is the thread were all the sad losers congregate to celebrate an injury withdrawal. Says a lot. Every players biggest rival is Nadal. This includes Nadal himself.

Personally I hate it when any player gets injured.

Haddie. You are probably wasting your time as I'm not sure that many will stop doing cartwheels of delight for long enough to read any rational description of wrist injuries.

Is there a rule in V2 that you are the only one allowed to post a news surfacing Rafa? if so I agree with your point.

DirectView2

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Mon 18 Aug 2014, 5:57 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:
Doctors found a minor detachment of the posterior cubital tunnel of his right wrist. The cubital tunnel houses the ulnar nerve, which runs from the elbow to the fingers.

It sounds serious, I wonder what happened. I hope to see him back before the end of the season - not my favourite player (neither like nor dislike him) but the draws are lopsided when he's not there.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Mon 18 Aug 2014, 6:09 pm

The Special Juan wrote:
Haddie-nuff wrote:How do you think he copes with his double handed back hand if he is not using his right wrist...??? he would never be able to switch to a single handed back hand.... as I understand it he got the injury during a training session in Manacor

You never really hear about players injuring their "other hand/wrist" unless they fall on it (I think that happened to Henin @ Wimbledon).  It must have resulted from a really unfortunate accident.

Murray injured his left wrist in 09 (lost to Cilic at the US and then had to pull out of various tournaments). I can't recall how he did it though.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 18 Aug 2014, 6:13 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:Im not totally sure of the incident but it appears he has damage the shaft of the tendon... dont ask me to enlarge on that Im no physician but I did have the impression that once the splint came off he would then have his wrist bound... this doesnt appear to be the case but I know he has seen his ususal doctor in Barcelona (the one who sorted his knees) He must be on full time employment in Rafa's case
Ooh er.... This thread could go one of two ways now you've mentioned him.......
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 18 Aug 2014, 6:18 pm

Does ANYONE know how he did this though? I've been doing a lot of heavy work in the last few weeks and my wrist / hand has been killing me. It seemed like carpel tunnel but I don't have respective use of my wrist that way (ooh matron!). Bloody kills though, fizzy hand in the night, really bad.

If he's got that then no wonder he's pulled out (though funny enough I could work during the day, it was later it'd murder me.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 18 Aug 2014, 6:28 pm

The pictures I have seen of him in practice he is using the left hand only the right to steady the racket when he goes to hit... Im talking off the top of my head (oh but then dont I always I hear BB yawn)  He was at his training camp in Manacor (inside hard court) he is always trying something new.  I dont think it was done by a fall maybe a different serve.  Headscratch Headscratch????? Ill keep looking

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Mon 18 Aug 2014, 6:43 pm

Born Slippy wrote:
The Special Juan wrote:

You never really hear about players injuring their "other hand/wrist" unless they fall on it (I think that happened to Henin @ Wimbledon).  It must have resulted from a really unfortunate accident.

Murray injured his left wrist in 09 (lost to Cilic at the US and then had to pull out of various tournaments). I can't recall how he did it though.

From reading a couple of newspaper articles I don't think he revealed it. "This time, the injury, the details of which Murray still refuses to make public...." Perhaps, because his backhand is so good, he can hit it with more power and, as we have all seen with DelPo, too much power is a bad thing.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 18 Aug 2014, 6:50 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:The pictures I have seen of him in practice he is using the left hand only the right to steady the racket when he goes to hit... Im talking off the top of my head (oh but then dont I always I hear BB yawn)  He was at his training camp in Manacor (inside hard court) he is always trying something new.  I dont think it was done by a fall maybe a different serve.  Headscratch Headscratch?????  Ill keep looking
A double-handed serve? That would be new.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 18 Aug 2014, 6:53 pm

Maybe a right handed serve.... has that occurred to you

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon 18 Aug 2014, 6:54 pm

I am disappointed that Nadal will skip USO. A draw opening up also means more pressure still in the draw.

He has shoulder and wrist injuries now, not related to his congenital condition. If he plays just the clay season, he can continue for a few more years, I hope.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 18 Aug 2014, 7:00 pm

LF The time is fast approaching isnt it.. as Agassi always said would happen
His game is writing checks his body cant cash
Or words to that affect
Its not the same without him .. I dont care whether you are a fan or not... something is missing from the sport ...as has been said even the draw is lopsided

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Mon 18 Aug 2014, 7:00 pm

bogbrush wrote:Does ANYONE know how he did this though? I've been doing a lot of heavy work in the last few weeks and my wrist / hand has been killing me.
Is that employment work or one of your self-inflicted hard labour projects as recreation time?

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon 18 Aug 2014, 8:01 pm

Nadal is registered on Pokerstars, think he's more into blowing money away on there than scraping along in NYC for 2 weeks.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 18 Aug 2014, 8:08 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:
bogbrush wrote:Does ANYONE know how he did this though? I've been doing a lot of heavy work in the last few weeks and my wrist / hand has been killing me.
Is that employment work or one of your self-inflicted hard labour projects as recreation time?
The latter. Got a few days left and planned about three months worth of tough stuff for next year or thereafter. I'm off to plant my backside at work in a few days sadly, but at least for now I'm fit & tanned.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by TRuffin Mon 18 Aug 2014, 8:12 pm

I represented an athlete that had a similar injury- at least the description uses all the words I remember were used with him. Basically the feeling is like when you hit your funny bone- the pain isn't in the wrist but a numbing in the elbow area. It's common with baseball pitchers and is from snapping or torquing the wrist. I could certainly see how it could happen to nadal. Good new is it's an easy injury to heal on it's own. Maybe nadal didn't have enough time to prepare properly, but the injury should be healed by now. I think this is more about match fit, confidence and maybe some mental fear of reinjuey

TRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next