The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nadal Withdraws From Miami

+14
sirfredperry
time please
Tenez
TRuffin
CaledonianCraig
lydian
lags72
reckoner
ryan86
kemet
noleisthebest
djlovesyou
socal1976
hawkeye
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Nadal Withdraws From Miami Empty Nadal Withdraws From Miami

Post by hawkeye Fri 30 Mar 2012 - 18:21

I presume this is official. From twitter

Nadal has pulled out of today's semi in Miami vs Murray because of left knee pain. We plan to hear from him shortly. Bummer.

http://twitter.com/#!/cbfowler

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Nadal Withdraws From Miami Empty Re: Nadal Withdraws From Miami

Post by socal1976 Fri 30 Mar 2012 - 18:24

Your not kidding are you hawkeye?

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Fri 30 Mar 2012 - 18:24

Shame for his fans.

I reckon in situations like this he should at least come out on court and change his t-shirt.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri 30 Mar 2012 - 18:26

Maybe this explains a thing or two...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ayscADoLlFY

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri 30 Mar 2012 - 18:28

Even Nadal finally realised that Enough is.....

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 30 Mar 2012 - 18:28

censored

Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri 30 Mar 2012 - 18:29

No I'm not kidding! I said on the other thread that apparently he didn't practise yesterday so it's not totally surprising.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 30 Mar 2012 - 18:30

He has pulled out, its all over twitter from various journalists.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 30 Mar 2012 - 18:32

Press conference in half an hour

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 30 Mar 2012 - 18:34

That is a shame, feel bad for the guy. It seems that those who continually call Nadal's injuries fake have a bit of egg on their face. Nadal had a finals to defend in Miami, just like he did at IW and he got one round short in both events, that is significant in the points race. Those two less rounds in masters events represents about 500 points off of his points tally. Which basically nullifies the fact that he got to the final of the AO and did better in 2012 there than he did in 2011.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by kemet Fri 30 Mar 2012 - 18:34

I am really sorry to hear this and hopes that Rafa recovers in time for the clay court season.

kemet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 30 Mar 2012 - 18:36

socal1976 wrote:That is a shame, feel bad for the guy. It seems that those who continually call Nadal's injuries fake have a bit of egg on their face. Nadal had a finals to defend in Miami, just like he did at IW and he got one round short in both events, that is significant in the points race. Those two less rounds in masters events represents about 500 points off of his points tally. Which basically nullifies the fact that he got to the final of the AO and did better in 2012 there than he did in 2011.
He still gets the semi final points though, or quarters?

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Fri 30 Mar 2012 - 18:38

Gives me a chance to watch the women's golf now instead. I was all sat down prepared to watch slow paced sport but now I'll have to prepare for something a bit more speedy and action packed.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan86 Fri 30 Mar 2012 - 18:42

Gav wrote:
socal1976 wrote:That is a shame, feel bad for the guy. It seems that those who continually call Nadal's injuries fake have a bit of egg on their face. Nadal had a finals to defend in Miami, just like he did at IW and he got one round short in both events, that is significant in the points race. Those two less rounds in masters events represents about 500 points off of his points tally. Which basically nullifies the fact that he got to the final of the AO and did better in 2012 there than he did in 2011.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Top-Players/Fabio-Fognini.aspx?t=rb

Looking at this oft discussed withdrawal (French Open), Nadal will get points for the semis here. Also of note is that Murray is going to get at least 600 for playing just 3 matches to get there.

ryan86

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 30 Mar 2012 - 18:47

Gav wrote:

I am pretty sure he gets semi points because he won the quarter, not 100 percent though. But my calculation was based on him getting two semis from the American masters events.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 30 Mar 2012 - 18:48

noleisthebest wrote:Maybe this explains a thing or two...

The full advert:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y_wJR1I-9s

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Fri 30 Mar 2012 - 18:51

Gav wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:Maybe this explains a thing or two...

The full advert:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y_wJR1I-9s

LOL a match made in heaven!

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 30 Mar 2012 - 18:56

It is a shame he has had to withdraw.

Will be interesting to see what unfolds from here. I wonder how much time he will take out.

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Fri 30 Mar 2012 - 18:59

Bad news all round, was sooo much looking forward to this clash..

Well, something of a worry for Rafa, given that he's already had a long break so very recently and hasn't actually played too many matches since coming back.

And yes, Socal - if you're taking names you can count me egg as one of those who (just earlier today) pretty much dismissed all the talk of concern and things in the Nadal camp being somehow 'not right.' In my defence I have to say there's always a lot of such talk and I did qualify my comments by saying it all "invariably (ie not every time) comes to zilch" !

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan86 Fri 30 Mar 2012 - 19:02

Looking at the ranking the situation will be

Djokovic 12670/12270/12020
Nadal 9935
Federer 9025
Murray 8440/8040

A win for Monaco would put him around 12th.

ryan86

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri 30 Mar 2012 - 19:06

Obviously not good news for the guy and a shame for the tournament too.
He's now only got a fortnight until Monte Carlo starts...so even if he can enter his clay preparation is going to be minimal.
8-in a row is looking decidely dodgy there now.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri 30 Mar 2012 - 19:16

Bad news. I was really looking forward to this semi as well. I suppose with the clay court just around the corner he does not want to take any undue risks. For Andy it is another final spot but not in the circumstances he would have liked.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 30 Mar 2012 - 19:19

Considering I tipped Nadal to win I find this disappointing.

He took February off to prepare himself for the Olympic season ahead, and then he enters both doubles and singles tournament at Indian Wells playing 10 matches in a week, then he enters for both singles and doubles tournaments in Miami.

He seems a bit of a wazzock, reminiscent of him playing in Doha in 2011 while sufferring with a major fever. He ended up injuring himself at the AO 2011.

http://www.tennis-x.com/xblog/2011-01-05/5965.php

http://www.foxsports.com.au/tennis/majors/rafael-nadal-has-delays-travelling-to-australia-due-to-the-illness-which-led-to-his-shock-defeat-in-qatar/story-e6frf4nc-1225984113183

Last edited by Nore Staat on Fri 30 Mar 2012 - 19:23; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 30 Mar 2012 - 19:23

ryan86 wrote:Looking at the ranking the situation will be

Djokovic 12670/12270/12020
Nadal 9935
Federer 9025
Murray 8440/8040

A win for Monaco would put him around 12th.

Good post Ryan, looks pretty good for Novak and the #1 ranking. This was the time of year that his nearest competitors needed to really gain on him. While he has lost some of his lead he has successfully defended a slam and looks to be in the miami final. I don't think Juan is going to win, I would be stunned. The gap between 2 and 4 is really small. Any of the other 3 guys can get to #2 really easy. Fed is sitting real pretty and I am sure he would love to be the #2 seed at the slams. That would really increase his chances. He gets Murray in a semi and plays Djoko after a gruelling slugfest that Djoko has with Nadal hypothetically. This scenario could easily play out if he can get to #2. It all depends on how Nadal is feeling at the start of the clay court season.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri 30 Mar 2012 - 20:06

All joking aside, I'm sorry to hear Nadal's injured. I was really looking forward to tonight's match and it's a shame he's had to withdraw.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by TRuffin Fri 30 Mar 2012 - 20:07

Why egg on face? We all know that he has had real injuries, but that doesn't mean that the criticism of many of his convenient timeouts, complaints about being injured, pains isn't also legitimate. They're not all real IMO

TRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri 30 Mar 2012 - 20:20

To be fair TRuffin people have been questioning, or rather accusing, his knee injury on here all week as "strategic" MTOs. No doubt the timeouts were now clearly part of a grand strategy to withdraw all along...

I agree Nore Straat. The break hasnt really done him any good, then comes back to pound himself on slow HCs with singles & doubles matches in 2 events (1 ok, but 2...why?) when likely not bodily match fit. Not his best decision, and this knee injury must throw prep for his clay season into disarray.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by TRuffin Fri 30 Mar 2012 - 20:46

lydian wrote:To be fair TRuffin people have been questioning, or rather accusing, his knee injury on here all week as "strategic" MTOs. No doubt the timeouts were now clearly part of a grand strategy to withdraw all along...

I agree Nore Straat. The break hasnt really done him any good, then comes back to pound himself on slow HCs with singles & doubles matches in 2 events (1 ok, but 2...why?) when likely not bodily match fit. Not his best decision, and this knee injury must throw prep for his clay season into disarray.

oh- well in that case, if we are talking about just for this week-- then those who accused him of faking were wrong- that's obvious now. I was reading it more as overall this shows that Nadal's MTO's are always for real.. and we all know that isn't accuarate. but sure-- this week, the guy is hurt.

TRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Fri 30 Mar 2012 - 20:56

noleisthebest wrote:All joking aside, I'm sorry to hear Nadal's injured. I was really looking forward to tonight's match and it's a shame he's had to withdraw.

clap

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri 30 Mar 2012 - 20:57

Personally I dont believe his MTOs are fake. I'll agree he may take them at "curious" times but I dont think they're fake per se. My thought is that as the situation in matches becomes more critical the more he feels the injury. In similar but lesser ways, players take longer between points when they've lost it, versus having won it - what I mean is that the mindset shifts as moments of potential crisis start to rear. I bet there is clinical evidence to suggest pain is felt more in clutch/stress moments than outside them. Its not like Nadal is pulling MTOs every match when its 4-4, 5-5 in the final set...if it was a habit surely it would occur much more often? But at the end of the day its one of those arguments that cant be won by either side because none of us know whats in Nadal's head or body...some give him benefit of the doubt, others dont. No-one can br proved wrong or right. And hence it forms the basis for almighty ding-dong arguments on here!

Anyway...the guy is injured now. Lets look forward to the next semi and hope that goes ahead!
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri 30 Mar 2012 - 22:01

Fake or not fake, he should not take those MTOs so easily. Way too many of them. The proof is that they have not helped him here. Especially a chronic tendinitis. What's the point? Let Nishikori or Tsonga go through instead of breaking their rhythm and then deprive everybody of an exciting semi final with fit players.

Federer went through Wimby 2010 with a serious injury but did play as if nothing was wrong. He faced the defeat v Berdych without pulling out. Many players do that. Not Nadal. He has to tell the world something's wrong.

I understand taking MTOs if something can be fixed, but in most cases, it disrupts the game to no avail.

Last edited by Tenez on Fri 30 Mar 2012 - 23:09; edited 1 time in total

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri 30 Mar 2012 - 22:04

Tenez wrote:Fake or not fake, he should not take those MTOs so easily. Way to many of them. The proof is that they have not helped him here. Especially a chronic tendinitis. What's the point? Let Nishikori or Tsonga go through instead of breaking their rhythm and then deprive everybody of an exciting semi final with fit players.

Federer went through Wimby 2010 with a serious injury but did play as if nothing was wrong. He faced the defeat v Berdych without pulling out. Many players do that. Not Nadal. He has to tell the world something's wrong.

I understand taking MTOs if something can be fixed, but in most cases, it disrupts the game to no avail.

Bubbly

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 30 Mar 2012 - 22:59

lags72 wrote:Bad news all round, was sooo much looking forward to this clash..

Well, something of a worry for Rafa, given that he's already had a long break so very recently and hasn't actually played too many matches since coming back.

And yes, Socal - if you're taking names you can count me egg as one of those who (just earlier today) pretty much dismissed all the talk of concern and things in the Nadal camp being somehow 'not right.' In my defence I have to say there's always a lot of such talk and I did qualify my comments by saying it all "invariably (ie not every time) comes to zilch" !

Here, here got to appreciate it when someone does come out and admit they were being quick to judge. It rarely happens so it should be commended. I just think it is a bit harsh the claim that Nadal always claims he is hurt to give himself an excuse if he loses. He has had a pretty well documented history of knee problems so I don't doubt that he often has quite a bit of pain in the knees.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri 30 Mar 2012 - 23:02

socal1976 wrote:

Here, here got to appreciate it when someone does come out and admit they were being quick to judge. It rarely happens so it should be commended. I just think it is a bit harsh the claim that Nadal always claims he is hurt to give himself an excuse if he loses. He has had a pretty well documented history of knee problems so I don't doubt that he often has quite a bit of pain in the knees.

I am positive that ALL players have a well documented history of various conditions and injuries. The difference is they keep it private.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Fri 30 Mar 2012 - 23:12

noleisthebest wrote:
socal1976 wrote:

I am positive that ALL players have a well documented history of various conditions and injuries. The difference is they keep it private.

Yes you can count me as one with egg too socal - but it is a little like 'Matilda told such....' or 'The Boy who cried.....'. Finally in a twelve month period with a well publicised injury, Nadal actually decides it is sensible not to play.

Very sorry to hear that he really does seem to have a problem that is preventing him from playing and reaching the final this time, and hope very much to see him back firing on all cylinders at MC OK

Perhaps, looking at all the cynical comments all over the press and various forums, a lesson might be learned that it is better to keep all the minor constant niggles that all sportsmen get private and go public, like the majority of the tour, when you are unable to compete!

Get better soon Rafa - tennis and this forum needs you Very Happy

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 30 Mar 2012 - 23:22

Nice post timeplease. Nitb, I disagree that most players on tour keep quiet about his injuries remember when Awhole Roddick called out Novak for talking so much about his injuries. Its part of the game to get injured and most guys on tour after years of intense play probably do have certain chronic issues that they have to deal with. If a reporter asks him a question he says yes my knee hurts, I don't see the problem with answering a question honestly. You know he gets asked about it enough so he just answers.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sat 31 Mar 2012 - 9:21

time please wrote:

Perhaps, looking at all the cynical comments all over the press and various forums, a lesson might be learned that it is better to keep all the minor constant niggles that all sportsmen get private and go public, like the majority of the tour, when you are unable to compete!

Get better soon Rafa - tennis and this forum needs you Very Happy

time please.

So Nadal should be dishonest when he is asked about injuries because some may choose to make cynical comments about what he says in the press and heaven forbid on various tennis forums? I suddenly have a picture in my head of Nadal struggling to come up with a phrase about anything that wouldn't offend the likes of Tenez and noleisthebest...

Most of the rest of the tour don't have this problem as no one has the slightest interest in what they have to say. For example did you know that Simon had a back injury sustained in his match with Melzer. He tried telling Neil Harman of The Times about it as his next match with Murray was in doubt. Was Harman interested? Was it widely reported? Did anyone care that he had an excuse for losing the match with Murray? Did Murray fans get all hot under the collar because Simon was using his injury as an excuse?

I agree tennis needs Nadal. Get better soon Rafa!

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Sat 31 Mar 2012 - 11:50

Whatever, people are right to be cynical about someone who cries wolf constantly.

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sat 31 Mar 2012 - 14:50

Remember that Uncle Toni said some time back that Rafa had chronic knee trouble that was gonna be a prob throughout his career. I think I'm right in saying that these remarks were then watered down, although Toni was probably only saying the truth.
Rafa was probably right to pull out, especially with the clay court season coming up. Interesting what would have happened, though, if it had been , say, the semi of the French. Wonder whether Rafa might have tried to play.
Wonder also if he really would have played the French in 09 if it had been any old tournament. Worn out from three particularly exhausting matches - the 09 AO semis and final, and a four-hour, three-setter with Nole, Rafa then had to pull out of Wimbledon. Hope for his sake that 2012 does not see a repeat.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sat 31 Mar 2012 - 15:09

Tendinitis means Nadal will probably have another PRP treatment right before the most important part of the season.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Sat 31 Mar 2012 - 16:21

Tenez wrote:Tendinitis means Nadal will probably have another PRP treatment right before the most important part of the season.

http://www.espn.co.uk/tennis/sport/story/143694.html

Nadal denies that his tendonitis has returned - saying that the tendon is a lot better than it was a couple of years ago.

this is different knee problems, apparently

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sat 31 Mar 2012 - 16:44

Thanks for the info TP. I should have worked that out. With Nadal it's never straightforward.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat 31 Mar 2012 - 16:56

time please wrote:
Tenez wrote:Tendinitis means Nadal will probably have another PRP treatment right before the most important part of the season.

http://www.espn.co.uk/tennis/sport/story/143694.html

Nadal denies that his tendonitis has returned - saying that the tendon is a lot better than it was a couple of years ago.

this is different knee problems, apparently

C'mon people! Knee is a very simple joint and there aren't many things that can go wrong there. A bit of bone, nerve endings a bit of tendon and muscle hanging off it. He's not 80 to be having arthritis, bones are fine, so it can only be tendons.

I don't know what kind of treatment he had in 2009 (ore whenever he did, I remember it involved horse's blood or stg, sounded a bit squeamish at the time), though it may have fixed the problem temporarily, it may have induced higher sensitivity, or a different mechanic of behaving when under stress and strain.

Nadal says himself the knee is significantly better than prior to that medical fix.

If he asked for massage during that changeover, it can only be muscular, i.e. tendonitis. A week or two of rest, and it goes. Tendonitis is such a common condition for ALL professional athletes, or any fitness freak for that matter, it's something that is manageable even for mortals like us, let alone for a highly paid athlete who's got the world's best medical experts at his fingertips if he needs them.

My estimate is that he didn't want to aggravate the condition and certainly lose another match to Nole before the clay season.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Sat 31 Mar 2012 - 17:03

noleisthebest wrote:
C'mon people! Knee is a very simple joint and there aren't many things that can go wrong there. A bit of bone, nerve endings a bit of tendon and muscle hanging off it. He's not 80 to be having arthritis, bones are fine, so it can only be tendons.

This bit I may chose to differ. Knee may not be very complex, but a small wrong in it has great affect in movement of the body especially when the person is involved in a physical activity like playing sports. Arthritis can hit to much younger people than 80 but chances are low.
raiders_of_the_lost_ark
raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat 31 Mar 2012 - 17:11

noleisthebest wrote:My estimate is that he didn't want to aggravate the condition and certainly lose another match to Nole before the clay season.
One can certainly see why his knees would start shaking a couple of days before a match with Nole Wink

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat 31 Mar 2012 - 17:13

summerblues wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:My estimate is that he didn't want to aggravate the condition and certainly lose another match to Nole before the clay season.
One can certainly see why his knees would start shaking a couple of days before a match with Nole Wink
Wink

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat 31 Mar 2012 - 17:21

raiders_of_the_lost_ark wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:

This bit I may chose to differ. Knee may not be very complex, but a small wrong in it has great affect in movement of the body especially when the person is involved in a physical activity like playing sports. Arthritis can hit to much younger people than 80 but chances are low.

We are talking about Nadal here. A healthy,fit, strong young man. Mind you, to be fair, I remember maybe a year or two ago, (and I'm not joking here) I felt a horrible sharp pain in my knee, I could barely walk. I had to stop for 5 minutes and then slowly hobble before I could relax it enough to walk. I think at the time I was using an incorrect cycling technique and probably wrecked something inside to make it that angry. It happened twice and really gave me a scare. I made sure I gave myself plenty of rest for a few days and it went. I have never had that since.
So I can really believe the AO walking into a chair in the lobby story.
However, all these aches and pains in the knee really don't happen unless you exercise a lot. Maybe he needs to change something in his fitness preparation.

He is too young to be having a debilitating condition.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sat 31 Mar 2012 - 17:36

noleisthebest wrote:
However, all these aches and pains in the knee really don't happen unless you exercise a lot. Maybe he needs to change something in his fitness preparation.

He is too young to be having a debilitating condition.

Ha ha! You don't think Nadal exercises a lot? Of course all that running about during actual matches doesn't count as exercise...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sat 31 Mar 2012 - 18:35

raiders_of_the_lost_ark wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:

Knees are actually the most complex joins in the body.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sat 31 Mar 2012 - 18:40

Apparently his amateur futbol team in Minorca had a game scheduled for sunday, he's quickly turning his back on tennis and going down the futbol route.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next