The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Flankers

+5
HongKongCherry
SirBurger
Geordie
Welly
LondonTiger
9 posters

Go down

Please select two flankers (or you can be the dick who ticks every box)

606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Flankers Vote_lcap1%606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Flankers Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Flankers Vote_lcap8%606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Flankers Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 7 ]
606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Flankers Vote_lcap0%606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Flankers Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Flankers Vote_lcap4%606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Flankers Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 3 ]
606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Flankers Vote_lcap11%606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Flankers Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 9 ]
606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Flankers Vote_lcap2%606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Flankers Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 2 ]
606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Flankers Vote_lcap1%606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Flankers Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Flankers Vote_lcap2%606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Flankers Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 2 ]
606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Flankers Vote_lcap12%606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Flankers Vote_rcap 12% 
[ 10 ]
606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Flankers Vote_lcap11%606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Flankers Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 9 ]
606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Flankers Vote_lcap19%606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Flankers Vote_rcap 19% 
[ 16 ]
[ 2 ]
[ 1 ]
606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Flankers Vote_lcap0%606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Flankers Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Flankers Vote_lcap8%606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Flankers Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 7 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 1 ]
606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Flankers Vote_lcap13%606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Flankers Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 11 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 83

Poll closed

606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Flankers Empty 606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Flankers

Post by LondonTiger Tue 27 May 2014, 2:07 pm

So many clubs mix and match their flankers that I will do a double poll rather than separate ones. no mor ethan two players will be offered from each club.

Saracens: Jackson Wray (15 starts) and Jacques Burger (10 starts)
International duties and Sarries rotation policy means Kelly Brown has insufficient matches. Burger's late start to the season almost ruled him out too, but in the matches he did play he has been very strong. His very best performance came in the HEC semi-final however. Wray has just gone about his business, playing whenever and wherever Sarries have needed him. Capable of playing in all 3 back row positions he is surely starting to appear in Stuart Lancaster's radar.

Northampton: Calum Clark (19 starts) and Tom Wood (12 starts)
When played together, these two have complemented each other well. Often playing left and right rather than open and blind, Clark offers the abrasiveness and grunt you need especially around the ruck and maul. his season started in excellent form, but like a few Saints he was starting to look a little jaded. Tom Wood, due to England duties, has been used more sparingly. His work rate never stints and his last ditch try in the AP semi will surely guarantee him Saintdom for life.

Leicester: Julian Salvi (18 starts) and Jamie Gibson (16 starts)
Who would have thought that an Oxford Classics graduate would settle so well at Leicester? Deemed underpowered by Brian Smith and released by London Irish, he has fitted in magnificently to th etigers pack. Croft and the departing Mafi have been barely missed. What can I say about Julian Salvi? I did not think he could beat last seasons heroics - yet he has. This year his performances rank him higher (in my eyes) than any 7 (or H) I have seen in a tigers shirt, while the performance in the AP semi is definitely the best individual performance I have ever seen from a Leicester openside. Topped the tackle and turnover tables, he is also a useful lineout option and slow ball carrier.

Harlequins: Chris Robshaw (13 starts) and Luke Wallace (14 starts)
Another pairing that do not fit the traditional Open/Blind template. Each has done very well this season individually, but I am not sure how well they gel as a pair. Wallace especially looked a little subdued at times, but has deserved his call up for the Barbarians fixture. Robshaw is currently the best 7 available to England and always gives his all for his club. O'Shea has, thankfully, avoided the temptation to over play him.

Bath: Matt Garvey (19 starts) and Francois Louw (11 starts)
Francois Louw is a world class player and if he had not been injured as the AP season concluded, then surely Bath would have pipped Quins to the 4th spot. Is his limited game time enough to win? not sure, but he is real class. Garvey has had, by all accopunts, a barnstorming season following his move to Bath. I am assured that his form has been so great that but for injury Lancaster would have to have dropped whatever prejudices he has about the former LI player.

Sale: Daniel Braid (17 starts) and Dave Seymour (20 starts)
Essentially a pair of opensides it is largely their workrate, tackling and breakdown expertise that enabled Cipriani to shine and earn a recall to England colours. I would say he owes them both a few drinks - but we have seen what happens to the back when he goes on the razz with team mates. Sale's limp end to the season co-incided with Braid's season ending injury. That is no co-incidence.

Wasps: Ashley Johnson (17 starts) and James Haskell (12 starts)
A large man with even larger hair, Ashley Johnson always commands attention. A big tackler and strong ball carrier he was Wasps joint leading try scorer in the AP. Haskell has earned a recall to the England squad, and well deserved it is too. His form, when not injured, has been excellent for Wasps.

Exeter: Ben White (16 starts) and Tom Johnson (15 starts)
He may not be flavour of the month among board members but I have yet to see Tom Johnson have a bad match. He deserves his spot on the NZ tour and will probably start the first test. Former Brumbie and Cardiff Blue Ben White, aka Crazy Horse, was Chiefs leading try scorer in the AP (with 6)

Gloucester: Matt Kvesic (20 starts) and Sione Kalamafoni (16 starts)
Fair to say that Kvesic struggled to settle at his new club, not helped by the powderpuff front 5. He featured in every match and never stopped trying - with his form improving as the season progressed. Kalamafoni did not reach the heights of last season, but was always a powerful presence.

London Irish: Blair Cowan (17 starts) and Kieran Low (12 starts)
Kiwi born Cowan has had an excellent first season following his move from Worcester being voted Player of the Year by the coaches and the fans. Along with (English born) Low his form has been good enough to see him included by Vern cotter in the Scotland squad touring North America.

Newcastle: Will Welch (17 starts) and Mark Wilson (16 starts)
These two northern lads (Northumbrian and Cumbrian respectively) have been a model of consistency for a misfiring Falcons team. Secured plenty of ball for their backs to squander.

Worcester: Sam Betty (18 starts)
Played well in a desperately poor team.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Flankers Empty Re: 606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Flankers

Post by Welly Tue 27 May 2014, 2:37 pm

gone Salvi and Braid  (was between him and Haskell)

due to the league performances.

Welly

Back to top Go down

606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Flankers Empty Re: 606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Flankers

Post by Geordie Tue 27 May 2014, 2:56 pm

Garvey and Salvi.

Glad you mentioned Mark Wilson. He's just Mr consistant...and its always a high standard. With a better platform next season you'll hear more noise about this lad.

Welch may struggle to get a game next season.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBurger Tue 27 May 2014, 2:57 pm

Braid and Cowan for me. It is always easier to vote for the players you see every week, compared to the ones you watch 4 or 5 times a season, but I just had to include Cowan. He had an outstanding season and we would have had at least one less win without him this season - his performance in the win over Quins was one of the best individual displays I've seen at the Madejski.

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Tue 27 May 2014, 8:17 pm

Garvey and Braid for me. Both have been central to their teams' form and both sides notably suffer when they're absent, which is indicative how important they are.

Kalamafoni has had a decent season and was in the top 6 forwards of the year according to the opta stats. But he didn't quite have the impact of last season, largely due to the injuries he was carrying early season. I expect him to have a huge season next year...
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 27 May 2014, 8:48 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Tom Wood, due to England duties, has been used more sparingly. His work rate never stints and his last ditch try in the AP semi will surely guarantee him Saintdom for life.
His presence amongst the Saintly Saints has indeed been guraanteed, exactly as you wrote.  However, the paperwork to get him into the pantheon is being held up by the RFU.  I believe Cockers is behind this heinous act, something about an effing ref, but maybe I didn't hear him properly...................

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 27 May 2014, 8:50 pm

Also voted for Braid.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 28 May 2014, 5:03 am

Garvey and Braid, tough field but I think that's the fairest call given Woodshaw have been away and Burger injured a lot
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 28 May 2014, 9:19 am

Went for Salvi and Braid, both individually brilliant players. Salvi has been out standing for Tigers.

Could also easily vote for Louw, Haskell, Garvey and Robshaw as well, but I didn't.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Wed 28 May 2014, 5:41 pm

Garvey and Braid for me, but it could have easily been a handful of others. There are some very good flankers in the league at the moment so I can understand the calls for a good number on that list.

I wonder if he hadn't got injured if Garvey would have been forgiven and brought into the England squad...?

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down