The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Number 8

+6
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
HongKongCherry
doctor_grey
yappysnap
Welly
LondonTiger
10 posters

Go down

If you choose not to vote for nick Easter - please say why.

606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Number 8 Vote_lcap0%606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Number 8 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Number 8 Vote_lcap4%606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Number 8 Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 1 ]
606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Number 8 Vote_lcap4%606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Number 8 Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 1 ]
606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Number 8 Vote_lcap77%606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Number 8 Vote_rcap 77% 
[ 20 ]
606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Number 8 Vote_lcap0%606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Number 8 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Number 8 Vote_lcap8%606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Number 8 Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 2 ]
[ 1 ]
606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Number 8 Vote_lcap3%606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Number 8 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 1 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 26

Poll closed

606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Number 8 Empty 606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Number 8

Post by LondonTiger Mon 26 May 2014, 6:24 pm

Front row: Waller/Ward/Mulipola
Second row front runners: Manoa/Paterson

Number 8 Contenders:

Ernst Joubert (13 starts) - Having been busy with England and playing at 6 and 8, Billy Vunipola (Sarries best 8) has insufficient matches. Joubert has struggled to match previous season's heroics, but still a mughty fine player at this level.

Sam Dickinson (16 starts) - Played a couple of times at Lock during Saint's injury crisis, but back row clearly his best position. Dickenson is a powerful, old fashioned style of 7 who has worked his way through the lower tiers from National D3 (5th tier) just 5 seasons ago. An astonishing debut season at this level he was deservedly been mentioned as a contender for an England spot this Summer.

Jordan Crane (17 starts) - Some teams (and board members) like a bruiser to play on the blindside. Leicester like that guy to appear at Number 8 however. Jordan Crane fits the role demanded of him to a "t" and has won his 3 year battle with Thomas Waldrom. Not the quickest he is however very effective at carrying in heavy traffic and as the better weathger came along showed some very nifty offloads.

Nick Easter (22 starts} - Turns 36 in August, yet this was his best season ever. Started every regular season AP match (including at Lock when needed) he also started all 8 European matches and the AP semi. Was deemed best forward in the AP by Opta and also had the best individual match. For me the best performer in the AP this year (no I do not think England should call) and anyone voting for anyone else should give a good reason why.

Leroy Houston (16 starts) - Fans love the showy skills of Garvey and Fearns, but for much of this season (and especially in Louw's) absence the former Begles and Queensland man has been the glue that held Bath together.

James Gaskell (17 starts) - Seems to have finally found his position. With Braid and Seymour doing the hard work, the not-quite-as-willowy-as-he-was Gaskell has had licence to roam and use his pace.

Nathan Hughes (10 starts) - A strong spring with a series of MotM performances sees the Fijian make this list. A strong ball carrier he needs to improve on his ball retention and work-rate. Hopefully Wasps (or any future employer) will not insist on him becoming EQ and we will see him in the white of Fiji.

Dave Ewers (20 starts) - After a barnstorming autumn, Ewers like many of his colleagues faltered in the second half of the season. Another strong and dynamic carrier he seems equally at home at 6 as well as 8. Will secure at least 1 vote from the phantom chief voter.

Ben Morgan (13 starts) - his own form seemed to improve as the season closed - but best performances came for England.

Ofisa Treviranus (18 starts) Big Trev has covered 6 and 8, but played 8 for LI this season more than any other player. Personally I feel he is better at 6. gotta love commentators attempt to say his name avoiding the obvious (Tray-vee-raynoose my favourite)

Ally Hogg 13 starts - The former scottish international has had a solid enough season.

Jonathan Thomas 19 starts - Shed blood sweat and tears in a forlorn cause.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Number 8 Empty Re: 606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Number 8

Post by Welly Mon 26 May 2014, 6:45 pm

Easter for me

Welly

Back to top Go down

606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Number 8 Empty Re: 606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Number 8

Post by yappysnap Mon 26 May 2014, 8:17 pm

Easter for me. It's a shame his best season has actually been during Quins worst, so it's been difficult for him to shine at times. I'd wager that 3/4's of the tries we've scored he's had a hand in.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 26 May 2014, 8:18 pm

Oh and I'm stunned that beanpole Gaskell is now an 8! Did Dowson not make it for Saints?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 27 May 2014, 1:26 am

London Tiger wrote:IF YOU CHOOSE NOT TO VOTE FOR NICK EASTER - PLEASE SAY WHY.
Not trying to influence the voting, eh mate?
OK. I voted for Easter.  He is looking old and decrepit.  But still had the goods this year, no doubts.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 27 May 2014, 6:11 am

doctor_grey wrote:
OK. I voted for Easter.  He is looking old and decrepit.  But still had the goods this year, no doubts.

Undue influence, moi?

I guess I just feel that Easters performances across the entire season are so far ahead of anyone else. Add in that he started every single AP and European match and he was an absolute colossus.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Tue 27 May 2014, 8:52 am

I'm not one to focus purely on stats and prior to this I'd stated Hughes as my 8 of the season, however, I must admit I had no idea Easter has started all the games, which for a 36 year old is an immense feat. So I am going to be swayed by the populist vote and go with Easter, but with a very honourable mention to Hughes who has been outstanding.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 27 May 2014, 8:57 am

LondonTiger wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:

Undue influence, moi?

I guess I just feel that Easters performances across the entire season are so far ahead of anyone else. Add in that he started every single AP and European match and he was an absolute colossus.

Cos I am the phantom Chief voter

Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 27 May 2014, 4:35 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:

Undue influence, moi?

Cos I am the phantom Chief voter

Chief

We all knew it!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 27 May 2014, 4:36 pm

LT could you put in some links to the other votes? Being majorly lazy but just want to read what people think.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 27 May 2014, 4:52 pm

yappysnap wrote:LT could you put in some links to the other votes? Being majorly lazy but just want to read what people think.

Will write up SHs later and link to the forwards

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Tue 27 May 2014, 7:04 pm

Who voted for Morgan?! He's not even Glaws' best 8, let alone the best in the Jeff. He's entering the final year of his contract and with Kalamafoni and Evans we have 2 very good alternatives, so I really wouldn't be surprised to see him go.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 27 May 2014, 8:43 pm

HongKongCherry wrote:Who voted for Morgan?! He's not even Glaws' best 8, let alone the best in the Jeff. He's entering the final year of his contract and with Kalamafoni and Evans we have 2 very good alternatives, so I really wouldn't be surprised to see him go.

I wouldn't let him go. Yes he's not been the best but some players take longer then others to bed in, and it's difficult for anyone to play well with that front 5 running backwards all game.

i think he'll come good for you guys.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Tue 27 May 2014, 9:37 pm

Its been 2 years yappy and he has only put in one performance for us akin to his England performances, which was Sarries 2012/2013. He did put the tackles in for us last season, but genuinely Kalamafoni and Evans were far better and would his salary be better served elsewhere? As a local boy I'd rather he stayed, but he needs to improve his fitness and intensity.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 28 May 2014, 8:56 am

I guess next year will be the true acid test HKC, if he can't do well behind Afoa and Hibbard then give him the boot!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Wed 28 May 2014, 5:39 pm

While I voted for Easter, Houston was the Bath player's player of the season and I reckon with a proper pre season under his belt he could he quite a force next year.

Easter seems to have really benefited from being dropped from the England squad, he has been the best no.8 in the country ever since it seems.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 28 May 2014, 7:20 pm

Bathman_in_London wrote:
Easter seems to have really benefited from being dropped from the England squad, he has been the best no.8 in the country ever since it seems.

It's weird but I can't remember what he was like before SL dropped him! Perhaps it's more down to MJ's handling of him then anything else?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 29 May 2014, 9:20 am

yappysnap wrote:I guess next year will be the true acid test HKC, if he can't do well behind Afoa and Hibbard then give him the boot!

Totally agree Yappy...likewise Kvesic at 7 .

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 29 May 2014, 8:15 pm

Yea both have been a little poopie. But then that's probably no coincidence

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri 06 Jun 2014, 3:58 pm

These threads have died a death Sad Where is LT?

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Thu 12 Jun 2014, 12:17 pm

I know LT as a Tigers supporter will be use to 10 man rugby, but reducing this just to 8 seems a bit radical! Wink
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 13 Jun 2014, 9:21 am

Apologies. Family and work life got hectic at the end of the season - and I am now currently in Dunedin. I hope I enjoy the experience on Saturday, more than the Eden Park one.

If demand is here I will quickly finish this on my return to UK.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri 13 Jun 2014, 10:51 am

Enjoy LT, hope you get the win Smile

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Fri 13 Jun 2014, 12:43 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Apologies. Family and work life got hectic at the end of the season - and I am now currently in Dunedin. I hope I enjoy the experience on Saturday, more than the Eden Park one.

If demand is here I will quickly finish this on my return to UK.

No apologies ever needed LT.

I am deeply jealous and enjoy Saturday's win... OK
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 13 Jun 2014, 4:59 pm

Enjoy Dunedin LT!

If you do fancy finishing them I think the demand is definitely here, these are some of the best articles in the club section mate.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down