The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Hooker

+8
beshocked
Mad for Chelsea
No 7&1/2
doctor_grey
Geordie
Ozzy3213
yappysnap
LondonTiger
12 posters

Go down

Choose your Hooker

606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Hooker Vote_lcap17%606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Hooker Vote_rcap 17% 
[ 4 ]
606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Hooker Vote_lcap17%606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Hooker Vote_rcap 17% 
[ 4 ]
606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Hooker Vote_lcap13%606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Hooker Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 3 ]
606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Hooker Vote_lcap46%606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Hooker Vote_rcap 46% 
[ 11 ]
606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Hooker Vote_lcap0%606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Hooker Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Hooker Vote_lcap0%606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Hooker Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Hooker Vote_lcap7%606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Hooker Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 2 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 24

Poll closed

606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Hooker Empty 606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Hooker

Post by LondonTiger Fri 23 May 2014, 7:36 am

Apologies, wrote this on Wednesday, but did not post it somehow, so had to re-write.

Props: Waller and Mulipola

Contenders:

Schalk Brits, Saracens (12 starts) - Not sure there is much left to say about Sarries most creative player. We know what he does on the rugby pitch, and doesn't. One of two hookers to be nominated for AP Forward of the Year (a statistical based selection) he will be looking for two big games to help Sarries end the season with silverware. Has shared duties with the ever improving Jamie George and will need to maintain his high standards if not to be usurped next season.

Dylan Hartley, Northampton (10 starts) - Started the season in fantastic form, winning back the starters jersey for England as a result. International duty and a season ending injury (he must hate playing Tigers) have meant he only just achieves the minimum games. Honourable mention to Mike Haywood and Ross McMillan who have deputised so well.

Tom Youngs, Leicester (14 starts) - I think we can all admit that the England lineouts have been a bit flaky when Youngs has emerged from the bench this season. Yet Farmer Tom was, along with Brits, nominated for AP Forward of the Year and was deemed the most accurate hooker in the HEC. For Leicester this season he has been routinely excellent - and he hooks!!!

Dave Ward, Harlequins - (14 starts) - It has been a long and winding road to Premiership rugby for Ward, making his first AP start in the season he turned 29. Injuries to Saxons Grey and Buchanan gave him his chance, and boy did he take it. His all park game suits the Quins tempo game to a tee and has seen him named in many Team of the Year selections. His season could well end with an England cap to boot. It should be noted that Quins lineout has stuttered at times thi sseason - and NZ will have noticed how Sarries overpowered and nullified him. However amazing first AP season.

Rob Webber, Bath (14 starts) - Another hooker to have seen injury woes this season. It seems that just as he is challenging for the England shirt - he gets injured. A former back rower he is, as you would expect, very mobile, and can be a commanding figure. Throwing blows hot and cold and he struggled at times to get his knee up and hook. Lots of us are hoping he can regain fitness ahead of the NZ tour while with the England training squad.

Tommy Taylor, Sale (11 starts) - Still only 22, Taylor is developing quite nicely under the tutelage of Steve Diamond His AP form has seen him included in the current England training squad. Expect other clubs to be sniffing around next season as his current contract comes to a close.

Carlo Festuccia, Wasps (14 starts) - This tough, uncompromising, veteran Italian hooker has had a fine first premiership season.

Jack Yeandle, Exeter (17 starts) - Luke Cowan-Dickie attracts all the noise but locally born Yeandle has been the main man for the Chiefs this season.

David Paice, London Irish (13 starts) - Another hooker to have ended the season injured. Has performed with his usual consistency for Irish.

Agustin Creevy, Worcester (12 starts) - Season started late due to Argentina duties. Has been one of Worcester's best performers.

no contender form Glaws or Falcons

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Hooker Empty Re: 606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Hooker

Post by yappysnap Fri 23 May 2014, 7:45 am

Torn between Webber and Youngs here. I think it could go to either to be honest, both have been brilliant for their clubs. Webber is more of a leader and a big man throwing his weight around. Youngs seems very quite but gets through a ton of work and his leg drive in contact is phenominal. I haven't seen either of them have major throwing problems either.

Hhmmm nope still can't pick.

Ward and Brits come in joint third for me. Both are outstanding open field players but both also have their faults in the set piece. Ward in particular has truly horrific moments at the lineout (ironic as he coaches that at Guildford). Still it's been an incredible season for him and I'm more then happy for him to go on tour and play the Crusaders, not sure about a NZ cap though, could be dangerous. He is also probably the best breakdown 'fetcher' in the Prem!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Hooker Empty Re: 606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Hooker

Post by LondonTiger Fri 23 May 2014, 7:51 am

yappysnap wrote: Youngs seems very quiet but gets through a ton of work and his leg drive in contact is phenomenal.

Well, his dad and brother are scrum halves. Must be hard to get a word in.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri 23 May 2014, 7:52 am

Whilst I agree with Yappy that Ward and Brits can go awry at lineout time, I think what else they've brought to their respective teams this year means they have to be in consideration for this.  Webber hasn't been at his best for me.  His lineout can also misfunction, and he's been up and down.

For my own team David Paice has been excellent when fit, but has had two major injuries that have kept him out.  It is a massive drop off from him to either Mayhew or Stevens, and we really noticed it when he wasn't there.  Next season hopefully Gerard Ellis will come through and challenge him strongly.

Back to this awards however, and in my opinion it's between Ward and Youngs.  Both similar in size and stature, and contribute much more to their teams than just in the piece.  Tough top call, but I went for Ward when asked for a team of the season and so will stick with him here in the individual selections.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 23 May 2014, 8:36 am

Youngs for me.

He is class for the Tigers. And there is no hint of a lineout problem with his club.

As for us...its been a curious season. Lawson has actually played very well but been with Scotland alot, and Dean has been working hard on young George McGuigan who looks an Irish international in the making.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 23 May 2014, 8:41 am

My obvious bias will come out when I say I went for Hartley.  he has had a very good eason for Saints.  But his importance to the team is very obvious by his absence.  Quite simply not the same team.  Terrific player and greater leadership.  

To be very fair, it was a close choice for me between Hartley and Brits.  I think Brits is an absolutely terrific player, adds a lot to Sarries, and is one of the more enjoyable players to watch - on any team in any position.

Last edited by doctor_grey on Fri 23 May 2014, 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 23 May 2014, 9:32 am

Brits for me. Granted it's probably down to his more eye catching role in the loose but you very rarely see teams get on top of Saracens scrum or lineout and he contributes a big part to that. Having said that I'm hoping he plays a much smaller role next year and we get to see more of George.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 23 May 2014, 9:43 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:Brits for me. Granted it's probably down to his more eye catching role in the loose but you very rarely see teams get on top of Saracens scrum or lineout and he contributes a big part to that. Having said that I'm hoping he plays a much smaller role next year and we get to see more of George.

They rotated quite a lot this season - hence "just" the 12 starts for Brits.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 23 May 2014, 9:46 am

I went with Brits too. Saracens are solid at the scrum and good in the line-out (though this owes a lot to Borthwick IMO - will be interesting to see how it goes next year), and he just adds more around the pitch then the other contenders IMO. Superb player.

Unlike TH, plenty of really strong candidates in this one: Webber, Youngs (for Leicester if not for England), Hartley, Ward all had really strong seasons too.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri 23 May 2014, 9:46 am

My vote goes to Ward though it's a close run thing. I give it to him because he's made the most progress - emerging as a key figure for Quins. I don't think he's the best of the 4. If anything I think he's probably the weakest of the 4 but he's given Quins a much needed boost just like Pennell has for Worcester.

The other 3 main contenders - Brits,Hartley and Youngs are known players who have been key to their sides for a long time now.

It's interesting that the top 4 teams in the country have arguably the 4 best performing hookers.

All 4 have been important to their teams as a go to player in the pack.

Special mention to Jamie George who has pushed Brits throughout the season.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 23 May 2014, 11:29 am

Special mention to Jamie George who has pushed Brits throughout the season.

Great to hear, but about bloody time.

How old is he now? 23 / 24? Mind thats the age Lawes seems to have finally broken through from his "potential"

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 23 May 2014, 11:59 am

beshocked wrote:It's interesting that the top 4 teams in the country have arguably the 4 best performing hookers.
This is a great point

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Fri 23 May 2014, 12:39 pm

I've gone for the Ward, I'm really pleased for him that he has proved he could hack it at the top level. Arguably if he had pulled his finger out when he was at Bath he wouldn't have had to wait so long, but that's another story!

Elsewhere, Brits has been very good as per usual but I feel like he has almost spoiled me now, because he can be brilliant, it takes more from him to impress me if that makes sense.

Webber has been good for Bath but has been unlucky with injuries. I hope for his sake he recovers in time for the trip to NZ and gets a bit of game time out there.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Fri 23 May 2014, 12:39 pm

This could be one of the closest polls. For me Brits, Youngs, Hartley and Ward are all genuine contenders. Had Hartley remained fit he would have been a shoe in; he deserves real credit following the low of last season.

Brits is an amazing player, but have his performances been as good in the Jeff as the HC? I am of course nit picking to extremes, but I have to rule someone out!

I do feel Youngs received some unjust criticism for England. Furthermore, I'd love to see analysis of the effectiveness of substitute hookers, as I'd suggest throwing accuracy is never as good for the replacement. He has been part of a very good Tigers pack and rarely fails to make yards.

But, my vote goes to Ward. After years as a stand out hooker at Championship level, he was signed as a back up and has truly taken his opportunity. He has never been known for his throwing and to his credit he has vastly improved this from his Championship days. He may have been nullified against Sarries, but that has happened to an awful lot of players. He has performed above any level he has been at before and perhaps more consistent than before. Something which couldn't be said of the other established 3, therefore for me he deserves this spot.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Fri 23 May 2014, 5:40 pm

Another vote for Ward here, really hope he can transfer his game to the international stage in NZ if selected. Although I'm biased I feel Hartley deserves an honorable mention after last year, his form was consistently excellent until the 6N and then injuury. Great point by beshocked stating that the top 4 teams have the clear top four candidates, shows what an important position it is. Just a shame Tigers will have two established international standard hookers next season......

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Fri 23 May 2014, 8:51 pm

Brits by a mile for me.

Ward has been great but Brits does the basics well and is outstanding in the loose. He must have a crazy amount of defenders beaten.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down