The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Monaco GP Thread (Contains Quali/Race spoilers) - Sponsored by Insomnia

+13
erictheblueuk
Hulking_up
Gerry SA
banbrotam
nathan
Bull
lorus59
AlciG
CaledonianCraig
Fernando
dyrewolfe
harryspiv
GSC
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Winner?

Monaco GP Thread (Contains Quali/Race spoilers) - Sponsored by Insomnia - Page 2 Vote_lcap71%Monaco GP Thread (Contains Quali/Race spoilers) - Sponsored by Insomnia - Page 2 Vote_rcap 71% 
[ 5 ]
Monaco GP Thread (Contains Quali/Race spoilers) - Sponsored by Insomnia - Page 2 Vote_lcap29%Monaco GP Thread (Contains Quali/Race spoilers) - Sponsored by Insomnia - Page 2 Vote_rcap 29% 
[ 2 ]
Monaco GP Thread (Contains Quali/Race spoilers) - Sponsored by Insomnia - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Monaco GP Thread (Contains Quali/Race spoilers) - Sponsored by Insomnia - Page 2 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Monaco GP Thread (Contains Quali/Race spoilers) - Sponsored by Insomnia - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Monaco GP Thread (Contains Quali/Race spoilers) - Sponsored by Insomnia - Page 2 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 7

Poll closed

Monaco GP Thread (Contains Quali/Race spoilers) - Sponsored by Insomnia - Page 2 Empty Monaco GP Thread (Contains Quali/Race spoilers) - Sponsored by Insomnia

Post by GSC Wed 21 May 2014, 9:20 am

First topic message reminder :

F1 returns to the streets of Monaco for arguably the most famous race of them all.

Set around the harbour in the principality, the world's rich and famous have docked their yachts for what is a week-long event and the only race where bars spill out onto the circuit with tables and chairs in the evening.

The 2014 Monaco GP in a nutshell
Track: Circuit de Monaco. Street circuit.
Race start time: 1pm UK time Sunday (2pm local).

Laps: 78.

Track length: 3.340 km.

Tyre allocation: Soft (yellow) and Supersoft (red).

DRS Zones: One (Pit Straight).

Driver steward: Derek Warwick.

Lap record: Michael Schumacher - 1:14.439 (Ferrari; 2004).

2013 pole: Nico Rosberg - 1:13.876 (Mercedes).

Form guide
Nico Rosberg emulated his father Keke by taking victory in Monaco last year, but he is a long way short of Ayrton Senna's record of six wins on the streets of the principality. Of the current drivers, Fernando Alonso is the only multiple victor having both stood atop the podium twice back in 2006-2007, whilst Jenson Button, Lewis Hamilton, Kimi Raikkonen and Sebastian Vettel have all taken one win apiece. Ferrari, meanwhile, haven't won in Monaco for 13 years.

2013 result: 1. Nico Rosberg (Mercedes); 2. Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull); 3. Mark Webber (Red Bull); 4. Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes); 5. Adrian Sutil (Force India); 6. Jenson Button (McLaren); 7. Fernando Alonso (Ferrari); 8. Jean-Eric Vergne (Toro Rosso); 9. Paul Di Resta (Force India); 10. Kimi Raikkonen (Lotus).

Last five winners in Monaco: 2013: Nico Rosberg (Mercedes); 2012: Mark Webber (Red Bull); 2011: Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull); 2010: Mark Webber (Red Bull); 2009: Jenson Button (Brawn).

Tyre allocation
In reflection of the famous old street circuit's slow and twisty confines, Pirellli are bringing their softest two compounds to the race weekend - meaning the supersoft tyre makes its first appearance of the season.

"Monaco is the slowest circuit on the calendar, which is very twisty with smooth asphalt, and also relies heavily on mechanical grip from the tyres," Pirelli said ahead of the event. "This makes it the perfect place for the supersoft with its rapid warm-up to make its 2014 debut, in combination with the soft.

Sky Bet odds
Unsurprisingly, Lewis Hamilton maintains his 100% pre-weekend status in 2014 as the favourite for the race victory with Sky Bet at 8/13. Nico Rosberg is 7/4 to halt his team-mate's winning run with Sebastian Vettel back up to third favourite, 14/1, following his stirring recovery drive in Spain
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Monaco GP Thread (Contains Quali/Race spoilers) - Sponsored by Insomnia - Page 2 Empty Re: Monaco GP Thread (Contains Quali/Race spoilers) - Sponsored by Insomnia

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 25 May 2014, 8:40 pm

Agreed sportform. More than enough action, crashes, overtaking and drama of Marussia getting points and Caterham almost getting a point as well. Interesting stuff.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Monaco GP Thread (Contains Quali/Race spoilers) - Sponsored by Insomnia - Page 2 Empty Re: Monaco GP Thread (Contains Quali/Race spoilers) - Sponsored by Insomnia

Post by Guest Mon 26 May 2014, 10:58 am

Fernando wrote:Don't worry John that's not even the worse thing he's complained about this weekend.

It was confirmed that Lewis got annoyed by Nico doing keepy uppies and kicking the ball against the garage before qualifying as he was trying to relax.

Yeah, heard that one yesterday. It`s getting petty now some of the stuff coming out. Media just fuelling the story & it doesn't help Hamilton is such an appalling public speaker. I think the relationship broke down a while ago, not just after the qualifying controversy.

I'm sure its only going to get worse between them & then it will eventually spill over into a race incident. Canada next & the plot thickens.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Mon 26 May 2014, 12:18 pm

John wrote:
Fernando wrote:Don't worry John that's not even the worse thing he's complained about this weekend.

It was confirmed that Lewis got annoyed by Nico doing keepy uppies and kicking the ball against the garage before qualifying as he was trying to relax.

Yeah, heard that one yesterday. It`s getting petty now some of the stuff coming out. Media just fuelling the story & it doesn't help Hamilton is such an appalling public speaker. I think the relationship broke down a while ago, not just after the qualifying controversy.

I'm sure its only going to get worse between them & then it will eventually spill over into a race incident. Canada next & the plot thickens.

The BBC has Hamilton - I just want a fair fight, Maybe he should of tried that in Spain and not turning up his engine going against the team, Alonso/Vettel will replace him there sooner then later if keeps complaining about the team with crap like Mclaren would of pulled me in.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 26 May 2014, 12:31 pm

Saying stupid things like that McLaren comment is only going to hurt him, if it comes down to a situation between Rosberg/Hamilton and the team has to choose are they gonna now pick the guy who is speaking out against them AFTER ONE SECOND PLACE FINISH FFS or the guy who's German, doing alright.

Hamilton really is just a pathetic idiotic child sometimes.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 26 May 2014, 1:04 pm

Think someone mentioned Fernandes putting Caterham up for sale.

He said he was gone if they don't score a point this season. Seeing Marussia manage it can't help things
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Mon 26 May 2014, 2:41 pm

John wrote:

Well it will if Nico tries any more funny stuff in qualifying...and yes I know the stewards cleared him of any wrongdoing, but to my mind it was one of those things that was going to be impossible to prove, one way or the other. Me - I'm keeping my tinfoil hat firmly in place on this one.

Only caught the BBC highlights but I did notice that Rosberg locked up at the same place, going into Mirabeau, (a lot worse than he did in quali), but funnily enough managed to make the corner. Also noticed Coulthard picked up on the fact Rosberg was working the steering a lot harder on the lap he went off, almost like he was deliberately trying to destabilise the car.

Anyway, its over and done now. Besides, I think Hamilton can take comfort from the fact that if a similar situation does arise in future races, at least he'll have a far better chance of overtaking Rosberg on the track. Best thing he can do is not rise to it and let his driving do the talking.

Overall a fairly eventful race, if not all that surprising in the end. Unusually high number of engine issues and retirements this weekend, for a number of teams.

Congrats to Jules Bianchi and Marussia for their first ever points.

Another great result for Ricciardo who seems to be making 3rd place his own. Yet more awful luck for Vettel...strange how most of the problems are with his car.

Decent drive by for Alonso for 4th and a great drive by Hulkenberg to get 5th for Force India. McLaren got both cars in the top 10, which is progress of sorts. Decent points finish for Massa too.

Last edited by dyrewolfe on Mon 26 May 2014, 2:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Mon 26 May 2014, 2:43 pm

GSC wrote:Think someone mentioned Fernandes putting Caterham up for sale.

He said he was gone if they don't score a point this season. Seeing Marussia manage it can't help things

Good luck to him, finding a buyer.

Then again, maybe one of those groups who were looking to join Haas on the grid next season, might put in a bid?
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Mon 26 May 2014, 2:53 pm

Olly wrote:Saying stupid things like that McLaren comment is only going to hurt him, if it comes down to a situation between Rosberg/Hamilton and the team has to choose are they gonna now pick the guy who is speaking out against them AFTER ONE SECOND PLACE FINISH FFS or the guy who's German, doing alright.

Says the 18-year old having a go at an experienced racing driver.  picard 

Who are you to judge whether he's pathetic and childish?

Rosberg may have been cleared by the stewards, but the fact remains, Lewis was denied the chance to take pole position by an uncharacteristic and apparently needless (IMO) mistake by Rosberg (remember the point in the race where Nico locked up even harder, yet made the corner).

You seem to fail to understand the pressure and emotion involved in top-level sport. These guys are ultra-competitive by nature and if they feel a team mate is acting unfairly, of course they're going to be upset. I'd expect Nico to be the same way if it was the other way round.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 26 May 2014, 2:57 pm

Ok Anthony Wink
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Mon 26 May 2014, 3:09 pm

What do we expect DW's excuse for Lewis turning up his Engine in Spain despite team orders not to, to save his victory from Nico.

Nico did what he had to win in Monaco if he done it on purpose then the data would of showed it and so did Lewis in Spain.

* This is a store announcement will the Hamilton fan in the red tinted glasses please remove them thank you from the sensible debate department*

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 26 May 2014, 4:06 pm

To be fair though I think Lewis Hamilton's comments were made in the heat of the moment just after qualifying had finished. He has since back-tracked on seeing the data or that is how I heard it yesterday post-race. I think the paranoia is growing inside Lewis' head though with the pitting strategy (or lack of it) by Mercedes when the first safety car came out and couple that with the fact that Nico has been at the team longer and is German in a German team then you can see where the paranoia is coming from.

He needs to move on from Monaco and put those thoughts out of his head or he could alienate himself from the team. If he relaxes he will beat Nico on pure raw pace I have little doubt of that.

As for this season - true it is a one team race like last year but unlike last year there is real tension as Mercedes are okay with letting both drivers race each other.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Mon 26 May 2014, 4:20 pm

I don't get why Lewis complained when the SC came out, Nico would of got priority anyway it was a desperate move really. Nico has definitely rattled Lewis all you need is him to turn up to Canada and give his car the name Nympho Nicole and im pretty sure Lewis's head will explode  Laugh 

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 26 May 2014, 4:25 pm

Think it's getting way out of hand, fuelled by the media & certain fans have over-reacted. If anything, this rivalry is just bubbling or simmering at the minute, I fear what reaction some fans will have, when the story really blows up later in the year with a collision or something along those lines.

Alienating himself from the team? Do me a favour. Four races won in a row, he was labelled the most mature he's ever been in F1 by Lauda/Wolff, now he's suddenly a petulent baby, who they might want rid of? Embarrassing. Lewis can never win, people are just waiting for him to make a mistake, then they pounce & he reacts in usual wrong way, that makes things worse (because he's too emotional & a bad public speaker). Fans complain the drivers are too sterile & never show emotion, then they do & people still complain. No win situation.

As for the Championship, Lewis just needs to focus on Canada & getting back to showing his superiority on `normal` tracks. Rosberg has only won four races with Hamilton as teammate, 2 were gifts - Silverstone & Melbourne (Hamilton DNF`s while leading) & two Monaco wins. He needs to get this out of his mind & look at the bigger picture does Lewis.

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 26 May 2014, 4:30 pm

I think, the gist I got was that Lewis had asked about pitting straight away but Mercedes did nothing. They followed the safety car for a good two laps before they brought Rosberg in. Obviously, Lewis asked about pitting straight away and got rebuffed I take it and to heighten his frustration they didn't even take the opportunity to pit Rosberg either straight away. Hence I think Lewis take was that at least one car should have been pitted immediately and as Rosberg wasn't pitted he should have had his request accepted. I may be wrong but that is what irked him.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 26 May 2014, 4:35 pm

John wrote:Think it's getting way out of hand, fuelled by the media & certain fans have over-reacted. If anything, this rivalry is just bubbling or simmering at the minute, I fear what reaction some fans will have, when the story really blows up later in the year with a collision or something along those lines.

Alienating himself from the team? Do me a favour. Four races won in a row, he was labelled the most mature he's ever been in F1 by Lauda/Wolff, now he's suddenly a petulent baby, who they might want rid of? Embarrassing. Lewis can never win, people are just waiting for him to make a mistake, then they pounce & he reacts in usual wrong way, that makes things worse (because he's too emotional & a bad public speaker). Fans complain the drivers are too sterile & never show emotion, then they do & people still complain. No win situation.

As for the Championship, Lewis just needs to focus on Canada & getting back to showing his superiority on `normal` tracks. Rosberg has only won four races with Hamilton as teammate, 2 were gifts - Silverstone & Melbourne (Hamilton DNF`s while leading) & two Monaco wins. He needs to get this out of his mind & look at the bigger picture does Lewis.

John of course he runs the risk of alienating himself if as we all heard on driver's radio he has a pop at the team and (on Saturday at least) hinted at Rosberg deliberately denying him a chance at pole. That is not seen as good PR for Mercedes. Those are purely the grounds for me saying he runs the risk of alienating himself. He did the same during the race when he snapped when team was telling him how far Ricciardo was behind and he snapped he didn't care about Ricciardo he only wanted to know about Rosberg. Again not something to endear himself to his team. He has to quit that and concentrate on driving and the results and title will come.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 26 May 2014, 7:04 pm

I see what you mean but to be successful in F1, you have to be a ba####d. Even Lauda said that, so you have to understand these snappy radio comments from Hamilton are just heat of the moment emotional responses, in a high pressured environment. Yeah, they come across as him being a t##t but hes not the only one, especially those involved in Championship fights. Vettel did it at RB in his arrogant ways & the team dont batter an eye-lid because they know the pressures of top level motorsport, especially at Monaco. I don't think there will be any issue of alienation between Hamilton & Mercedes, people are just making mountains out of mole hills right now & getting carried away by the media scrutiny.

I also find it funny that Rosberg spits his dummy out behind the scenes after Spain & there is no real comment on it. Hamilton cries like a baby but because its aired in public through the radio, he's now the bad guy & labelled a petulent child. Typical. Hamilton did nothing wrong in Spain, it was legal & a ruthless move to win a race. That's why you have to be a b#####d to win Championships, it looks like Rosberg might have cottoned on with his q3 performance.

All very intriguing moving forward.

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 26 May 2014, 7:24 pm

dyrewolfe wrote:
Olly wrote:Saying stupid things like that McLaren comment is only going to hurt him, if it comes down to a situation between Rosberg/Hamilton and the team has to choose are they gonna now pick the guy who is speaking out against them AFTER ONE SECOND PLACE FINISH FFS or the guy who's German, doing alright.

Says the 18-year old having a go at an experienced racing driver.  picard 

Who are you to judge whether he's pathetic and childish?

Rosberg may have been cleared by the stewards, but the fact remains, Lewis was denied the chance to take pole position by an uncharacteristic and apparently needless (IMO) mistake by Rosberg (remember the point in the race where Nico locked up even harder, yet made the corner).

You seem to fail to understand the pressure and emotion involved in top-level sport. These guys are ultra-competitive by nature and if they feel a team mate is acting unfairly, of course they're going to be upset. I'd expect Nico to be the same way if it was the other way round.
Ah so because I'm 18 I'm not allowed to judge what I see, I get it
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 26 May 2014, 7:31 pm

John wrote:I see what you mean but to be successful in F1, you have to be a ba####d. Even Lauda said that, so you have to understand these snappy radio comments from Hamilton are just heat of the moment emotional responses, in a high pressured environment. Yeah, they come across as him being a t##t but hes not the only one, especially those involved in Championship fights. Vettel did it at RB in his arrogant ways & the team dont batter an eye-lid because they know the pressures of top level motorsport, especially at Monaco. I don't think there will be any issue of alienation between Hamilton & Mercedes, people are just making mountains out of mole hills right now & getting carried away by the media scrutiny.

I also find it funny that Rosberg spits his dummy out behind the scenes after Spain & there is no real comment on it. Hamilton cries like a baby but because its aired in public through the radio, he's now the bad guy & labelled a petulent child. Typical. Hamilton did nothing wrong in Spain, it was legal & a ruthless move to win a race. That's why you have to be a b#####d to win Championships, it looks like Rosberg might have cottoned on with his q3 performance.

All very intriguing moving forward.

Yes of course you need to have a mean streak but that is not the point here. You also need a strong backing from the team. Now Lewis and Nico are in competition on the track and in the garage and the way Lewis conducted himself at Monaco then he is losing the battle in the garage. I mean do you honestly think Lewis comments about Nico, about the team's pit strategy and snapping at pit crew merely keeping him informed on gap to Ricciardo is going to do him any favours? Of course not.

Pace-wise Lewis will win the itle but if he has more loose cannon moments like in Monaco where he speaks before thinking then he'll lose friends in the team and make them more inclined to place their eggs in the Rosberg basket.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 26 May 2014, 7:31 pm

Said the same last year in Malaysia. Winners routinely push the line of what's acceptable. Margins too small not to. If Hamilton really didn't see that coming then his eyesight was an issue before halfway into the race
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 27 May 2014, 9:04 pm

Sebastian Vettel insists Red Bull is still a Formula 1 title contender, with a major engine upgrade planned for the Austrian Grand Prix set to boost his ambitions.

I hope this upgrade is effective & brings him towards the Mercedes, just to spice things up another notch. I think it would put more more pressure on Rosberg than Hamilton in the long run.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Tue 27 May 2014, 9:20 pm

It would put it on Hamilton as most expect him to win the title and not Nico. That being said if RB get closer id suspect Ricciardo will get closer to the title then Vettel the way its going.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 28 May 2014, 9:46 am

I'm going to have to disagree. If RB could become competitive in Q3, it would put more pressure on Rosberg. There was an interview, where Hamilton stated he wanted Mercedes` rivals to catch up, so that they could possibly help him by taking points off Rosberg. Also, if the RB does become more competitive, I would fully expect Vettel to start suddenly becoming comfortable with car & his mindset completely changing from being negative to absolute positivity. I don't see Ricciardo continuing this advantage over Vettel. Vettel has been plagued this season with issues, it won't last.

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 28 May 2014, 9:48 am

Need a wet race to shake things up.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 28 May 2014, 9:56 am

Underrated point. Marussias 2 points take them above Sauber.

Could mean a lot come seasons end.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 28 May 2014, 9:22 pm

GSC wrote:Underrated point. Marussias 2 points take them above Sauber.

Could mean a lot come seasons end.

$30m (£17.8m). Would be a huge financial reward for next season.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2