The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Froch vs Groves

+5
Happytravelling
mobilemaster8
azania
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
hampo17
9 posters

Go down

Froch vs Groves Empty Froch vs Groves

Post by hampo17 Sat 20 Jul 2013, 9:41 am

Big talk that this is now a done deal and will take place on the 23rd of November, screened live on Sky Sports.

Has this come to soon for "Saint" George or will the Cobra finally show his age?

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Froch vs Groves Empty Re: Froch vs Groves

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sat 20 Jul 2013, 10:24 am

Groves has a decent chance, but yes I think it has come too soon

He's obviously talented and has the speed and power to worry Froch, but degale is still probably his best name on CV an he hasnt fought against any world level fighters so jumping in with the second best is a big jump

Froch is ageing but is still in great shape and physically can bully Groves and will walk him down at some point

That said there is a lot of buzz about Froch atm and Groves has his own army of fans so this will be a huge fight for England

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 20 Jul 2013, 10:29 am

I'm going for a Groves UD. It will be a cautious affair with Groves on the back foot peppering jab after jab on froch. Froch isn't a huge puncher. Groves too skilled.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sat 20 Jul 2013, 10:53 am

What planet are you on AZ? Sometimes your comments are so bizarre. Froch is a decent puncher, and with him fighting groves who has a suspect chin it could be a recipe for disaster. How do you come to the conclusion that Groves is too skilled? Based on what? The way he beat Paul Smith? The way he had a barnstormer with Kenny Anderson? The way he pounded some random Mexican in his last fight?

had he fought someone of note id agree, but the step up is massive. He may be able to jab Paul smith and Kenny Anderson and run around all day looking amazing, but Froch will pressure him with massive amounts of volume. If one his shots connect then groves will be in trouble.

Froch TKO round 8.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Happytravelling Sat 20 Jul 2013, 10:54 am

No doubt Groves has talent and is a future Champ but, this is a bit too early for him. He could do with mixing at the top level for a few more fights.

I think Froch should win this. Groves loves to "man" it out with fighters and Froch would win that. But I wouldn't be surprised if Groves upped his game and outboxed Froch.

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sat 20 Jul 2013, 10:56 am

He needs to fight at the top level in any fight mate because he has not done such a thing yet!

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Happytravelling Sat 20 Jul 2013, 11:08 am

A little bit harsh, but only a little. Johnson was shop warn but still had been fighting at the top level only a year before Grove's fought him.

But, as I said, you're only being a little harsh. He needs to fight a few top 10 fighters before fighting Froch.

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 20 Jul 2013, 11:30 am

I rate Froch highly mobile.  But from what I've seen of Groves I'd pick him to win.  Froch is often wide open and wins battles of wills and strength.  He is one tough mofo. But skill wise he is not at Groves level.  

In a war of attrition Froch wins. Groves will not get dragged into such a fight as he knows there's only one winner there. He will follow a game plan and win a close UD.

Either that or Froch ko in 9.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Sat 20 Jul 2013, 11:36 am

Froch to win this relatively easily. As has already been said, this is just a couple of fights to early for Groves who would be better off fighting a few other top class fighters before going for the second best in the world. Hopefully Groves comes out of this a more experienced fighter and not a damaged one.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sat 20 Jul 2013, 11:38 am

azania wrote:I'm going for a Groves UD. It will be a cautious affair with Groves on the back foot peppering jab after jab on froch. Froch isn't a huge puncher. Groves too skilled.

Is this going to be another one like your Peterson vs Matthysse prediction?

This has Froch by knockout written all over it, its too soon.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 20 Jul 2013, 11:42 am

Groves is ready. It's not too soon. He will not roll over like Bute or is he washed up like Kessler. He is getting better with each fight. Groves will raise his game. To me he is the most complete UK boxer. He does everything very well.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sat 20 Jul 2013, 12:37 pm

azania wrote:I rate Froch highly mobile.  But from what I've seen of Groves I'd pick him to win.  Froch is often wide open and wins battles of wills and strength.  He is one tough mofo. But skill wise he is not at Groves level.  

In a war of attrition Froch wins. Groves will not get dragged into such a fight as he knows there's only one winner there. He will follow a game plan and win a close UD.

Either that or Froch ko in 9.

Fair enough mate. In some aspects I can see where you are coming from in terms of how he is in the ring (Groves) because he does have good footwork, decent power, great technique and is pretty quick for a Super Middle. The only downfall is his chin and inexperience at the top level. Yes he beat Johnson who has probably been around since Groves was in Kindergarten, but that is no yardstick as to how he does with Froch.

If, like I said, he had beaten someone of note (or at least a top ten live fighter) such as Brian Magee maybe? He has been in with some brilliant fighters and is very active at the moment.

He has looked good against domestic and European level, but he needs to show it against world level before going into the divisions 2nd best fighter.

However, he does indeed have the attributes and if he can actually carry those to that level, then we could see a VERY comprehensive victory for Groves.

Like you said, I can see a Groves UD (although at present it feels unlikely) or a Froch LKO (Which seems likely at the moment).

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by leedizzle1986 Sat 20 Jul 2013, 2:24 pm

Where are you getting this info from chaps? I am a big Froch and Groves fan and i was looking to go to this fight. However I also have tickets for a Snooker event on Sunday November 24th. As the fight will involve travel and an overnight stay I would not be able to attend both so if it is the 23rd i am extremely annoyed right now!mad 

leedizzle1986

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 20 Jul 2013, 2:43 pm

azania wrote:I'm going for a Groves UD. It will be a cautious affair with Groves on the back foot peppering jab after jab on froch. Froch isn't a huge puncher. Groves too skilled.

It's not out of the bounds of possibility.........I don't really know how good Froch is...........Thought Kessler was a decent standup European at a good time for him.....Ward outclassed Froch and Bute is chaff back in the 80s.........

Looking at Froch's wins I'd fancy Groves to probably beat them too.. from what I've seen..........

Saying that I don't know how good Groves is either..........He seems like he can take a good rap and looks polished also has advantages in age and probably prime.........

Some questions are will Groves be intimidated by Froch's reputation ??.........Will Froch be as motivated for Groves?? Will Froch show signs of decline ???

I'll side slightly with Froch...........and say stopage in round 11............In a good dustup..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down