The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

James DeGale - A Marked Fighter

+9
Young_Towzer
Fists of Fury
Scottrf
Union Cane
Daz
Imperial Ghosty
88Chris05
manos de piedra
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
13 posters

Go down

James DeGale - A Marked Fighter Empty James DeGale - A Marked Fighter

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon 23 May 2011, 1:18 pm

Afternoon chaps.

I wrote an article about a year ago on the old 606 about my opinion that James DeGale will become a bit of a dud investment for Frank Warren.

My reasons for this alone were because of his attitude and arrogance.

Saturday night James stepped out for his ring entrance (In his own backyard) to a horrifying chorus of boos. I was more than happy to hear this due to the "ugly ginger kid", "smell your breath" etc comments.

If DeGale can't get a cheer in his hometown, what chance has got for the future. And all his moaning about been robbed and Groves nicking his belt. Thats the nail in the coffin. Even if he beat Groves in a rematch, he is still going to be hated .

I truely feel that there is no way on this earth that DeGale can ever fix his reputation now. The guy is unlikeable and judging by the look on Frank Warren's face on Saturday night, he knows this too.

At least with Khan when he was with Warren, he never crossed the line but more came out with unjust comments about how good he was even though we all knew he wasn't anywhere near the level he was proclaiming. But even saying that, Khan was never booed on his debut or in his own backyard by the whole arena (ok, the Irish give him a bit of stick at the McCloskey fight, but we all cheered as well when he was annouced in the ring).

My prediction: DeGale is going to be fed a lot of Euro trash for the next 2 years until the British public are brainwashed into forgetting how much of a muppet he is and then hey ho, its off to the WBO. I don't think he will change his attitude as he has always been the same.

He has only got himself to blame and IMO, this could turn out to be a disaster for Frank Warren.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

James DeGale - A Marked Fighter Empty Re: James DeGale - A Marked Fighter

Post by Guest Mon 23 May 2011, 1:20 pm

Where's this article then ya big fibber?

Think Warren's hoping he's not another Kevin Mitchell.

Wonder if a lot of fighters will now be dashing of to get Adam Booth on board.

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 23 May 2011, 1:24 pm

I dont think DeGale needs to popular to succeed. If he has the talent then it doesnt matter much.

Being universally disliked will probably be better for his ppv figures than being run of the mill.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 23 May 2011, 1:26 pm

manos de piedra wrote:I dont think DeGale needs to popular to succeed. If he has the talent then it doesnt matter much.

Being universally disliked will probably be better for his ppv figures than being run of the mill.

Not everybody dislikes him, because not everybody's met him!

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 23 May 2011, 1:26 pm

The public have short memories, and sadly boxing fans are no different. On a personal level, I doubt I'll ever be a fan of DeGale but, as shown with Khan, Eubank and Benn, second chances are easily afforded.

Of course, that is reliant on DeGale keeping it zipped, taking both victory and defeat in a more humble and dignified manner and putting an end to his frankly embarrassing 'trash talking.' Whether he will or not remains to be seen.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 23 May 2011, 1:26 pm

I think he's disliked in a bad way rather than the way people disliked Hamed so can't see why anyone would pay to watch him, it's more of a case of people just not caring about him to me.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon 23 May 2011, 1:28 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Where's this article then ya big fibber?

Wonder if a lot of fighters will now be dashing of to get Adam Booth on board.

haha, sorry Dave, Im not D4, I can't produce links out me @r5e.

I've never liked the guy and was lovin the result at the weekend
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Mon 23 May 2011, 1:29 pm

DeGale has the biggest egg on his face I have seen for years! I havent even got a clue how he could try to correct this. His reputation is in tatters. Hopefully he will come back a better fighter and win some honours, but this will follow him till the end of his career - maybe if he beats Groves convincingly in a rematch, it might take the edge off it (very slighlty).

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 23 May 2011, 1:31 pm

DeGale's sucess will depend more on whether or not he's able to adapt and change tactics mid fight. Neither he or McDonnell could come up with a strategy to beat Groves and I think that was poor. Things need to change in that camp...not least DeGale's attitude. I haven't followed the news too closely since Saturday but has DeGale at least come out and said, "well done" to Groves?

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon 23 May 2011, 1:32 pm

Dazstarr wrote:DeGale has the biggest egg on his face I have seen for years! I havent even got a clue how he could try to correct this. His reputation is in tatters. Hopefully he will come back a better fighter and win some honours, but this will follow him till the end of his career - maybe if he beats Groves convincingly in a rematch, it might take the edge off it (very slighlty).

But Daz, do we honestly belive that DeGale will be humble if he won the rematch. He would probably be even worse with the idiot comments. Degale has done wonders for Grove's career so far though. haha
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Mon 23 May 2011, 1:33 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:I wrote an article about a year ago on the old 606 about my opinion that James DeGale will become a bit of a dud investment for Frank Warren.

You're not lying...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A63300313
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 23 May 2011, 1:35 pm

I dunno, I dont think think its the end of the world from DeGales perspective.

Hes an irritating guy that nobody liked before the fight. That probably wasnt going to change win or lose.

Think its important not to lose sight of the fact that this was a really close fight. The problem seems to be that DeGale was made into too heavy a favourite when perhaps he shouldnt have been.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 23 May 2011, 1:36 pm

Union Cane wrote:
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:I wrote an article about a year ago on the old 606 about my opinion that James DeGale will become a bit of a dud investment for Frank Warren.

You're not lying...

STALKER...but you weren't so accurate with this were you, "Kevin Mitchell showed us what we already knew. That he IS going to be a World Champion..."

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon 23 May 2011, 1:38 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
Union Cane wrote:

You're not lying...

STALKER...but you weren't so accurate with this were you, "Kevin Mitchell showed us what we already knew. That he IS going to be a World Champion..."

hahaha,

Ok, hands up. I admit that was a stinker on the Mitchell front, but 99% of 606 were behind him at that time. And how was I supposed to know he would have a fight with his missus just before the Katsidas fight.

Fair play Union for finding that!!!
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Mon 23 May 2011, 1:39 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:
Dazstarr wrote:DeGale has the biggest egg on his face I have seen for years! I havent even got a clue how he could try to correct this. His reputation is in tatters. Hopefully he will come back a better fighter and win some honours, but this will follow him till the end of his career - maybe if he beats Groves convincingly in a rematch, it might take the edge off it (very slighlty).

But Daz, do we honestly belive that DeGale will be humble if he won the rematch. He would probably be even worse with the idiot comments. Degale has done wonders for Grove's career so far though. haha

Only time will tell. He needs to STFU and concentrate on his boxing. Hopefully he will do just that. Doubt he will do it though. Still waiting from a proper statement from him. He has only said a couple of lines on how he was robbed. Doesnt bode well. lol

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Mon 23 May 2011, 1:47 pm

Actually, i sit corrected: He has said this in the Sun today:

JAMES DeGALE insists he will bounce back from the first defeat of his pro career.
DeGale, 25, lost the British super-middleweight title to arch-rival George Groves in front of a packed at house at London's O2 Arena on Saturday night.

Chunky was stunned as his fellow Londoner added the domestic crown to his Commonwealth belt courtesy of a majority decision.

He immediately called for a rematch and claims nothing will stop him achieving his dream of winning a world title.

DeGale said: "I'm sorry at the result as I hate to disappoint but I'm dusting myself off, getting up and looking forward!

"It's not the end for me but a minor glitch. I'm young, strong and ready to stand firm by knowing in my heart the decision was unfair.

"What doesn't kill me, will make me stronger! To my supporters, it's your positivity and support that will help generate my unsurpassable strength, so thank you once again."

DeGale celebrated at the final bell but could not believe what he was hearing when the judges' scorecards were read out.

Richie Davies called it a 115-115 draw while Dave Parris and John Kean awarded it 115-114 to Groves.

The decision left DeGale fuming but he has vowed to put it behind him and waste no time in getting back in the gym.

DeGale added: "Losing is hard and losing by one point is even harder!

"But I'm a sportsman and take this defeat as one of those incidents where you can't explain the unexplainable.

"I'm not gonna lie, I'm surprised — and definitely disappointed.

"But I am a fighter and I'll do what I know best. I'll come back FIGHTING, harder, stronger, wiser and hungrier — trust me."

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/boxing/3595529/James-DeGale-insists-he-will-bounce-back-from-the-first-defeat-of-his-pro-career.html#ixzz1NBAn574t

Still doesnt give George any credit!

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon 23 May 2011, 1:52 pm

Dazstarr wrote:
"What doesn't kill me, will make me stronger! To my supporters, it's your positivity and support that will help generate my unsurpassable strength, so thank you once again."

What supporters would they be now James?
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 23 May 2011, 1:54 pm

And STILL undefeated *DeGale jumps around cheering*...Saint George Groves!

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 23 May 2011, 1:54 pm

Scottrf wrote:And STILL undefeated *DeGale jumps around cheering*...Saint George Groves!

I know. A truly, truly beautiful moment, right there.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Mon 23 May 2011, 1:55 pm

Dazstarr wrote:

What supporters would they be now James?

Think he means his Frank Warren. And his mum.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 23 May 2011, 1:55 pm

Unsurpassable strength? No mate, you've already been surpassed..by Groves...TWICE.

Wonder if he asked Audley for help writing that

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Mon 23 May 2011, 1:56 pm

88Chris05 wrote:
Scottrf wrote:And STILL undefeated *DeGale jumps around cheering*...Saint George Groves!

Thats when Booth sent over the w@nker sign!! Priceless!!

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 23 May 2011, 1:56 pm

88Chris05 wrote:
Up there with Hopkins' press ups as the moments of the night.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 23 May 2011, 2:18 pm

Ahhh loved when Degale started prematurely celebrating at the mention of undefeated...and the booth w****r sign was hilarious.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 23 May 2011, 2:31 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:Ahhh loved when Degale started prematurely celebrating at the mention of undefeated...and the booth w****r sign was hilarious.
Spoilering photo to keep it SFW:
Spoiler:

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon 23 May 2011, 2:36 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:Ahhh loved when Degale started prematurely celebrating at the mention of undefeated...and the booth w****r sign was hilarious.

Ah no way, I didn't even notice that. (had a few too many).

Is it on youtube yet?
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 23 May 2011, 2:39 pm

Should be mate.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Mon 23 May 2011, 4:24 pm

Where's this article then ya big fibber?

Wonder if a lot of fighters will now be dashing of to get Adam Booth on board..
Mitchell is down to earth and well liked. Mitchell cleared up the domestic scene and won the British title without losing it at DOMESTIC LEVEL which is what DeGale and Groves are, then lost in a WORLD TITLE fight. So i doubt Frank's thinking that

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon 23 May 2011, 4:29 pm

Steven_89 wrote:Where's this article then ya big fibber?

Wonder if a lot of fighters will now be dashing of to get Adam Booth on board..
Mitchell is down to earth and well liked. Mitchell cleared up the domestic scene and won the British title without losing it at DOMESTIC LEVEL which is what DeGale and Groves are, then lost in a WORLD TITLE fight. So i doubt Frank's thinking that

Except he didnt fight for a world title... It was some worthless interim piece of rubbish.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by callan Mon 23 May 2011, 4:52 pm

Degale has weak points and he has had them from day one as a pro but they never seem to get worked on as his team thinking he is perfect. Maybe if they work on these and sort the attitude he may go on to better things. However fighters will now know how to frustrate him and how to ruin his game plan. he needs a lot of work. They tried a publicity stunt by getting Army Boxing team to line the route for him thinking then fans would not boo. I know this cause my mate who i used to be on team with told me, he wanted nothing to do with this and some the others on team who did line route were put out that same was not afforded to Groves. But end day thats down to Tony Davies, but point is he needs to get a grip because it was unfair to associate himself with forces to try and improve his own credability, these are words of a few in forces not just mine.
callan
callan

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Mon 23 May 2011, 5:33 pm

Except he didnt fight for a world title... It was some worthless interim piece of rubbish..
yeah, so worthless it got the winner a shot at Juan Manuel Marquez

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon 23 May 2011, 5:37 pm

callan wrote:Degale has weak points and he has had them from day one as a pro but they never seem to get worked on as his team thinking he is perfect. Maybe if they work on these and sort the attitude he may go on to better things. However fighters will now know how to frustrate him and how to ruin his game plan. he needs a lot of work. They tried a publicity stunt by getting Army Boxing team to line the route for him thinking then fans would not boo. I know this cause my mate who i used to be on team with told me, he wanted nothing to do with this and some the others on team who did line route were put out that same was not afforded to Groves. But end day thats down to Tony Davies, but point is he needs to get a grip because it was unfair to associate himself with forces to try and improve his own credability, these are words of a few in forces not just mine.

Forgot all about this mate.

It was cringeworthy to watch DeGale have a guard of honour. After all the stupidness and the fact he has nothing to relate too with the army is a disgrace.

I could understand maybe if DeGale was in the Army, but what was the bloody point!?
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Mon 23 May 2011, 5:37 pm

Steven_89 wrote:

Except he didnt fight for a world title... It was some worthless interim piece of rubbish..

Steven, do me a favour and cut the offensive language would you, please ? Thanks.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon 23 May 2011, 5:50 pm

Steven_89 wrote:

You said he fought for a world title. He didn't.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by callan Tue 24 May 2011, 12:42 am

callan wrote:Degale has weak points and he has had them from day one as a pro but they never seem to get worked on as his team thinking he is perfect. Maybe if they work on these and sort the attitude he may go on to better things. However fighters will now know how to frustrate him and how to ruin his game plan. he needs a lot of work. They tried a publicity stunt by getting Army Boxing team to line the route for him thinking then fans would not boo. I know this cause my mate who i used to be on team with told me, he wanted nothing to do with this and some the others on team who did line route were put out that same was not afforded to Groves. But end day thats down to Tony Davies, but point is he needs to get a grip because it was unfair to associate himself with forces to try and improve his own credability, these are words of a few in forces not just mine.

Forgot all about this mate.

It was cringeworthy to watch DeGale have a guard of honour. After all the stupidness and the fact he has nothing to relate too with the army is a disgrace.

I could understand maybe if DeGale was in the Army, but what was the bloody point!?

It was cringeworthy i also found out today that Warren is supporting the tickets for troops scheme (fair play) but the Army coach got asked to provide some lads for the event but would only allow it for Degale. I feel pretty disapointed in davies the Army coach for allowing this biased.
callan
callan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 May 2011, 9:13 am

DEGALE'S MINDSET WAS THAT IF HE CAME OUT FLANKED BY OUR TROOPS, NO-ONE WHO HAVE THE BOTTLE TO BOO HIM FOR FEAR OF BEING SEEN TO BE CRITICISING THOSE WHO HAVE GIVEN THIER LIVES IN SERVICE OF THEIR COUNTRY. THANKFULLY PEOPLE SAW THROUGH THAT AND CONTINUED TO SHOW DISDAIN PURELY FOR DEGALE. MAKES ME PROUD TO BE BRITISH.

MAN UTD DID SOMETHING EQUALLY CRINGEWORTHY ON SUNDAY. THEY HAD A NUMBER OF SOLDIERS WHO'D SERVED IN AFGHANISTAN BRING OUT THE PREMIERSHIP TROPHY AS IF WAS SOME KIND OF HONOUR FOR THEM - ONE YOUNG LAD HAS ALREADY LOST BOTH HIS LEGS, AN EYE AND SEVERAL FINGERS. HE ALREADY GOT A BRAVERY MEDAL FROM THE QUEEN, BUT APPARENTLY, MEETING ALEX FERGUSON IS SUPPOSED TO MAKE IT ALL BETTER

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 24 May 2011, 12:57 pm

Scottrf wrote:
Spoilering photo to keep it SFW:
Spoiler:

Brilliant, missed it too, was busy doing what Groves is doing in the picture.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down