The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Edinburgh V Munster

+29
Notch
Totalflanker
justified sinner
highland_scot
21st Century Schizoid Man
IanBru
Second Ranker
jimbopip
GLove39
BlueMuff
Dorothy_Mantooth
Sin é
A Simply Mesmeric Try
VinceWLB
funnyExiledScot
EWT Spoons
ME-109
cakeordeath
Welly
Manky-Flanker
nickj
tigertattie
Majestic83
George Carlin
MunsterMac
Nachos Jones
TheMildlyFranticLlama
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
RDW
33 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Edinburgh V Munster Empty Edinburgh V Munster

Post by RDW Tue 29 Apr 2014, 9:09 am

Edinburgh Rugby   v   Munster
Saturday 3rd May 2014, KO 17:00
Meggetland

Referee: Marius Mitrea (FIR, 28th competition game)
Assistant Referees: Peter Allan, Bob Nevins (both SRU)
Citing Commissioner: John Kirk (SRU)
TMO: Ian Ramage (SRU)

Live on BBC Alba and TG4

Head to head:

Played 22
Munster with 22 wins to Edinburgh's 6 wins
Munster with 69 tries to Edinburgh's 40
Munster with 641 points to Edinburgh's 431

Saying that, when Edinburgh last played Munster at home they beat them in the HK!

Teams:

Edinburgh

15 Jack Cuthbert
14 Tom Brown
13 Matt Scott
12 Andries Strauss
11 Tim Visser
10 Carl Bezuidenhout
9 Greig Laidlaw CAPTAIN

1 Alasdair Dickinson
2 Ross Ford
3 Willem Nel
4 Grant Gilchrist
5 David Denton
6 Mike Coman
7 Tomas Leonardi
8 Cornell Du Preez

Substitutes
16 James Hilterbrand
17 Wicus Blauuw
18 Simon Berghan
19 Ben Toolis
20 Dimitri Basilaia
21 Grayson Hart
22 Piers Francis
23 Sam Beard

Munster

Simon Zebo, Gerhard VD Heever, Johne Murphy, Denis Hurley, Andrew Conway, JJ Hanrahan, Conor Murray
James Cronin, Duncan Casey, John Ryan, Donncha O'Callaghan, Paul O'Connell Capt., CJ Stander, Tommy O'Donnell, Paddy Butler.

Replacements: Damien Varley, Dave Kilcoyne, Alan Cotter, Dave Foley, James Coughlan, Duncan Williams, Ian Keatley, Luke O'Dea..

Last edited by RDW_Scotland on Fri 02 May 2014, 12:45 pm; edited 2 times in total

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh V Munster Empty Re: Edinburgh V Munster

Post by RDW Tue 29 Apr 2014, 9:10 am

The first person to ask if this is on TV is getting a permanent ban.

That means you tigertattie.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 29 Apr 2014, 9:12 am

Is this one on TV then?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Tue 29 Apr 2014, 9:18 am

If the pitch is anything like the back pitch at Meggetland that I played on recently then it'll make for a nice quick game (it was similar to concrete)!

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 29 Apr 2014, 9:18 am

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Is this one on TV then?

picard 

Was waiting for that - took all of 3 minutes!  Crying or Very sad

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 29 Apr 2014, 9:20 am

TheMildlyFranticLlama wrote:If the pitch is anything like the back pitch at Meggetland that I played on recently then it'll make for a nice quick game (it was similar to concrete)!

Was that the 3rd pitch? I played on there a few months ago and it literally had no grass. As in no grass at all. None. It was basically just mud and sand!

Edinburgh has been pretty dry recently so I suspect the pitch will be firm.

I just want Edinburgh to throw off the shackles and just go for it and give the fans some entertainment. I'd rather lose 45-30 than 25-3 just now!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Tue 29 Apr 2014, 9:31 am

I expect some sort of backlash for Munsters defeat by Toulon. I imagine that Munster will run away with this by 20+ points.

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 29 Apr 2014, 9:34 am

Probably likely Nachos, but given that the Toulon game was late on Sunday are Munster likely to be fatigued / resting players? Especially given their run of games coming up.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Tue 29 Apr 2014, 9:37 am

Its a 6 day turnaround RDW, they should be able to be up for that. I doubt that Munster would put out a weakened side, especially against a team that has beaten them recently.

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Tue 29 Apr 2014, 9:39 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Was that the 3rd pitch? I played on there a few months ago and it literally had no grass.  As in no grass at all. None. It was basically just mud and sand!

It was the one right below the main pitch, but it definitely had no grass and was just a solid mud/sand combo like you say. I was actually really impressed with the state of the main pitch though, its in great condition.

Has anyone heard any more about what Rennie's situation is? Or do we think nothing will be decided until the championship season is done and Bristol know if they're going up or not?

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 29 Apr 2014, 9:40 am

Could be an interesting one, could see this one going one of two ways - Munster backlash rolls over Edinbokke comfortable or Munster fatigue sees them struggle to get their heads in place and Edinbokke rum them close

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 29 Apr 2014, 9:40 am

Llama, the QT is that Rennie will stay with Brizzle next season and that a contract has been signed

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 29 Apr 2014, 9:43 am

Nachos Jones wrote:Its a 6 day turnaround RDW, they should be able to be up for that. I doubt that Munster would put out a weakened side, especially against a team that has beaten them recently.

That game probably would have been up there in intensity as an international match so a 6 day turnaround still suggests the coach will rotate some players. I would! Munster's B team could still probably beat Edinburgh in their current form though!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 29 Apr 2014, 9:45 am

TheMildlyFranticLlama wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Was that the 3rd pitch? I played on there a few months ago and it literally had no grass.  As in no grass at all. None. It was basically just mud and sand!

It was the one right below the main pitch, but it definitely had no grass and was just a solid mud/sand combo like you say. I was actually really impressed with the state of the main pitch though, its in great condition.

Has anyone heard any more about what Rennie's situation is? Or do we think nothing will be decided until the championship season is done and Bristol know if they're going up or not?

The main reason for that is this year Edinburgh Leisure (who are single handedly trying to kill off rugby in Edinburgh) won't let anyone play on the main pitch other than their 1st XV, and the pitches down the bottom are used for training too.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Tue 29 Apr 2014, 9:50 am

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Llama, the QT is that Rennie will stay with Brizzle next season and that a contract has been signed

Lets hope they manage to get promoted then, if he can carry on the form he's been showing down there but in the premiership then its got to be a better world cup preparation than playing in an edinburgh side that gets its arse handed to it regularly (assuming no spectacular turn around next season)

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by MunsterMac Tue 29 Apr 2014, 9:56 am

Is the stadium really called Meggetland?

Given the problems at Murrayfield that seems too ironic!

MunsterMac

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 29 Apr 2014, 10:00 am

It is indeed.

Meggetland is home to Boroughmuir, who have just been promoted back to the top amateur division in Scotland.

They have great facilities having sold off a large part of their land for housing.  It just isn't quite big enough for Edinburgh to use on a regular basis though.

The capacity has been raised to 4.5k for this game but it will be 80% + standing, and there's a real lack of infrastructure in and around the ground for that kind of number.

Last edited by RDW_Scotland on Tue 29 Apr 2014, 10:01 am; edited 2 times in total

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 29 Apr 2014, 10:00 am

It is, Mac. Rumours that Murrayfield will be renamed Nemotode Nursery remain unconfirmed. Meggetland is a great pitch. It's just a pain in the hole to get there.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Tue 29 Apr 2014, 10:25 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:
TheMildlyFranticLlama wrote:If the pitch is anything like the back pitch at Meggetland that I played on recently then it'll make for a nice quick game (it was similar to concrete)!

Was that the 3rd pitch? I played on there a few months ago and it literally had no grass.  As in no grass at all. None. It was basically just mud and sand!

Edinburgh has been pretty dry recently so I suspect the pitch will be firm.

I just want Edinburgh to throw off the shackles and just go for it and give the fans some entertainment.  I'd rather lose 45-30 than 25-3 just now!

Been like that for years, can remember training there in the late 90s for Schools rep training and the pitch wouldn't take a full stud, that was in March time. Always been like a game of beach rugby on the back pitches.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 29 Apr 2014, 10:42 am

Two things!

1. is this game being televised?

2. Has anyone else heard that ASBO has been hearing tales that two separate squads might be picked for Scotlands summer tour - one for the North American component, one for the south hemisphere part
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by MunsterMac Tue 29 Apr 2014, 11:08 am

On the game itself this a critical one for Munster.

They screwed up badly by not picking their strongest possible team for Glasgow and not taking them seriously enough.

Now to have a realistic chance of getting 2nd spot they will probably have to get a winning bonus point against Edinburgh and possibly even Ulster.

It'll be interesting to see if all the talk in recent years of the Rabo meaning alot to Munster holds any water.

It certainly didn't against Glasgow.

MunsterMac

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 29 Apr 2014, 11:12 am

tigertattie wrote:Two things!

2. Has anyone else heard that ASBO has been hearing tales that two separate squads might be picked for Scotlands summer tour - one for the North American component, one for the south hemisphere part

You have half an hour to pack up your bags and leave.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Tue 29 Apr 2014, 11:16 am

It looks like Bristol have announced the Rennie deal

http://www.espn.co.uk/england/rugby/story/223349.html

ESPN are also running the Hamilton to Sarries story

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 29 Apr 2014, 11:18 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:

But..........but................

Sorry 

see ya guys. was fun while it lasted!

I'm away to sign up to mildly racist Uncle Dougie's forum.  There are no draconian mods over there! Actually, I dont think there are Mods at all  Run
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 29 Apr 2014, 11:49 am

Confirmed Edinburgh leaving an mcinally returning

http://www.edinburghrugby.org/news/14/04/29/rennie-leave-edinburgh-rugby

Massive loss losing Rennie

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Manky-Flanker Tue 29 Apr 2014, 12:02 pm

No disrespect to Bristol, but from a Scotland perspective, I would have prefered Rennie to be playing in the premiership *. What does this move mean for his international aspirations?

EDIT: *unless of course Bristol are promoted.

Last edited by Manky-Flanker on Tue 29 Apr 2014, 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Manky-Flanker

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 29 Apr 2014, 12:03 pm

To be fair they are in the hot seat to get promoted this year, but anything can happen in those playoffs

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 29 Apr 2014, 12:11 pm

You'd have thought that Rennie would not have made any commitments until Bristol had actually secured promotion!!!

Maybe he is just enjoying life much more down there?

McInally coming back is good news, not least for McInally himself!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Tue 29 Apr 2014, 12:15 pm

Do we know if Solomons even tried to get Rennie to stay? I'll be annoyed if he didn't because Rennie doesn't meet his arbitrary back row weight limit!

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 29 Apr 2014, 12:35 pm

They'll get promoted, Cotter will invite Robinson to be forwards coach and Paterson will decide to become backs coach and we will win the world cup.  Braveheart 

Back on this thread (sort of), I'm not being funny but do you really think Munster didn't take Glasgow seriously? Even if you were missing some 1st choice players that's squad rotation which is different to not taking a team seriously - you could argue any Glasgow XV played in the past month is not their best XV because of squad rotation - we've got 8 or so matches in a row - our top 30 players could all legitimately be in the first XV.

I'm just a bit miffed because every time a Scottish team has beaten an Irish team in the past 2 years it's because the Irish team didn't care. Sorry fed up

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Tue 29 Apr 2014, 12:42 pm

Do Edinburgh still have that talented young 7 (early 20s I think) cant remember his name but saw him play some U20s games and looked good and he played a few games last season, has go off the radar since.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Tue 29 Apr 2014, 12:49 pm

Ineffable wrote:I'm just a bit miffed because every time a Scottish team has beaten an Irish team in the past 2 years it's because the Irish team didn't care. :sorry:fed up

+1

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Tue 29 Apr 2014, 12:55 pm

cakeordeath wrote:
Ineffable wrote:I'm just a bit miffed because every time a Scottish team has beaten an Irish team in the past 2 years it's because the Irish team didn't care. :sorry:fed up

+1

I think you are wrong personally. We (Munster) got rightly tonked by Glasgow a couple of weeks ago. I dont think it was because we didnt care Glasgow were just better. I and every other Munster supporter I know wants to win the league. If Edinburgh win next weekend its going to be because they are better.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Tue 29 Apr 2014, 12:55 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
Nachos Jones wrote:Its a 6 day turnaround RDW, they should be able to be up for that. I doubt that Munster would put out a weakened side, especially against a team that has beaten them recently.

That game probably would have been up there in intensity as an international match so a 6 day turnaround still suggests the coach will rotate some players.  I would! Munster's B team could still probably beat Edinburgh in their current form though!

Maybe not but a 6 day turnaround should be more than enough for top class players, even considering the intensity of their last match. I would be surprised to see many changes in the Munster team myself.

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 29 Apr 2014, 1:01 pm

tigertattie wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:

But..........but................

Sorry 

see ya guys. was fun while it lasted!

I'm away to sign up to mildly racist Uncle Dougie's forum.  There are no draconian mods over there! Actually, I dont think there are Mods at all  Run
Uncle Dougie's website has a special anti-anti-swear filter. In other words, if your post doesn't contain any swear words, it will automatically add some.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 29 Apr 2014, 1:14 pm

ME-109 wrote:
cakeordeath wrote:

+1

If Edinburgh win next weekend its going to be because they are better.

Unlikely

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 29 Apr 2014, 1:15 pm

That sounds like the sort of pioneering technology Schizoid might have developed!!

I might be able to make this game, provided I set off from Stockbridge a good few hours in advance to get there.

I'll be happy if Edinburgh can keep up the performance from the Glasgow game and play positive rugby, perhaps cutting out silly errors like kicking the ball out on the full, or repeatedly not making touch. Oh, and roll away from the tackle area for heavens' sake!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Tue 29 Apr 2014, 1:18 pm

Ineffable wrote:

I'm just a bit miffed because every time a Scottish team has beaten an Irish team in the past 2 years it's because the Irish team didn't care. :sorry:fed up

You will not hear me say things like that. I always love the games between the Irish club sides and the Scottish club sides. More often than not it delivers a very tasty game. Anytime a Scottish club side has won has never been seen by me as the Irish team playing poorly, its down to the Scottish side playing very well and deserving their win.

Its going to be a very good match but I feel that Munster will produce a result after getting knocked out last weekend, they really need to if I may be honest.

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 29 Apr 2014, 1:28 pm

Nachos Jones wrote:
Ineffable wrote:

I'm just a bit miffed because every time a Scottish team has beaten an Irish team in the past 2 years it's because the Irish team didn't care. :sorry:fed up

You will not hear me say things like that. I always love the games between the Irish club sides and the Scottish club sides. More often than not it delivers a very tasty gamehealthy margin of victory for the Irish team.

I used to enjoy playing Zebre as well. Used to.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 29 Apr 2014, 1:54 pm

Long live mildly racist uncle Dougie
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Tue 29 Apr 2014, 2:04 pm

Welly wrote:Do Edinburgh still have that talented young 7 (early 20s I think) cant remember his name but saw him play some U20s games and looked good and he played a few games last season, has go off the radar since.

Hamish Watson? signed a senior contract yesterday  OK 

I think he has featured in the 7's this season and is unlikely to be on the matchday squad this week.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Tue 29 Apr 2014, 2:22 pm

Any Irish poster know if this game or the Connacht game is being shown on Irish TV?

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 29 Apr 2014, 2:26 pm

ME-109 wrote:Any Irish poster know if this game or the Connacht game is being shown on Irish TV?

Try though I might, I am not Irish, but I do know that the Munster game is on TG4, but the Connacht game is not televised.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Tue 29 Apr 2014, 2:27 pm

ME-109 wrote:Any Irish poster know if this game or the Connacht game is being shown on Irish TV?

Not that I can say for sure, but it appears Alba have some reciprocal thing with an Irish station, so the answer is maybe.....

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Tue 29 Apr 2014, 2:30 pm

Thanks lads...just found it on TG4. Only thing I could find up to now was some mention of it on RTE but it said either or Connacht/Munster games.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 29 Apr 2014, 2:32 pm

George Carlin wrote:

Try though I might, I am not Irish, but I do know that the Munster game is on TG4, but the Connacht game is not televised.

We can all dream.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 29 Apr 2014, 2:36 pm

I'm sure you would be able to find a highly legal online stream of BBC Alba if no Irish broadcaster is showing it.

Feel free to PM me for suggestions if required...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 29 Apr 2014, 2:41 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
George Carlin wrote:

We can all dream.

I have a green jumper, enjoy Conor McPherson plays and once ate a potato.

Apparently, this is not enough.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Tue 29 Apr 2014, 2:44 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:I'm sure you would be able to find a highly legal online stream of BBC Alba if no Irish broadcaster is showing it.

Feel free to PM me for suggestions if required...

Cheers much appreciated, Am travelling around Ireland this weekend so offline and not sure if will have satellite/cable so am dependent on the terrestrial channels. I just checked the TG4 website and the game is listed.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Tue 29 Apr 2014, 2:45 pm

George Carlin wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:
George Carlin wrote:

We can all dream.

I have a green jumper, enjoy Conor McPherson plays and once ate a potato.

Apparently, this is not enough.

What type of potato?

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next