The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Benetton Treviso v Glasgow Warriors, 2 May

+15
BigGee
jimbopip
Weegie Wizard
nickj
VinceWLB
IanBru
A Simply Mesmeric Try
21st Century Schizoid Man
Tattie Scones RRN
funnyExiledScot
Dorothy_Mantooth
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
RDW
George Carlin
19 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Benetton Treviso v Glasgow Warriors, 2 May Empty Benetton Treviso v Glasgow Warriors, 2 May

Post by George Carlin Tue 29 Apr 2014, 7:27 am

Benetton TrevisoBenetton Treviso v Glasgow Warriors, 2 May Italia14 v Glasgow WarriorsBenetton Treviso v Glasgow Warriors, 2 May Swear126

Friday 2 May 2014, KO: 20:00 (local), 19:00 (UK and Ireland)
Stadio Comunale di Monigo, Treviso

Referee: George Clancy (IRFU, 62nd competition game)Benetton Treviso v Glasgow Warriors, 2 May Gaah16
Assistant Referees: Andrea Spadoni, Simone Boaretto (both FIR)
Citing Commissioner: Stefano Marrama (FIR)
TMO: Stefano Penne (FIR)

Live on Mediast/BBC ALBA

A. Teams:

I. Benetton Treviso
Benetton Treviso v Glasgow Warriors, 2 May Vivald10
15 Brendan Williams
14 Ludovico Nitoglia
13 Michele Campagnaro
12 Luke McLean
11 Angelo Esposito
10 Mat Berquist
09 Tobias Botes

08 Marco Filippucci
07 Paul Derbyshire
06 Manoa Vosawai
05 Marco Fuser
04 Antonio Pavanello (c)
03 Lorenzo Cittadini
02 Leonardo Ghiraldini
01 Alberto De Marchi

16 Giovanni Maistri
17 Matteo Muccignat
18 Ignacio Fernandez-Rouyet
19 Valerio Bernabò
20 Dean Budd
21 Alberto Sgarbi
22 Fabio Semenzato
23 James Ambrosini

II. Glasgow Warriors
Benetton Treviso v Glasgow Warriors, 2 May James-11
01 Reid
02 MacArthur
03 Cross
04 Swinson
05 Gray
06 Harley
07 Holmes
08 Strauss (c)

09 Pyrgos
10 Russell
11 Matawalu
12 Horne
13 Bennett
14 Seymour
15 Hogg

16 Brown
17 Grant
18 Welsh
19 Nakarawa
20 Fusaro
21 Cusiter
22 Jackson
23 Maitland

B. Form - head to head:

7 Played 7
2 Wins 5
5 Losses 2
0 Draws 0
7 Tries 17
6 Conversions 14
12 Penalties 16
2 Drop Goals 0
89 Points 161
26 Avg. Age 25

C. Form - this season & last:

Sat 27 October 2012, 19:05
Benetton Treviso 13 - 24 Glasgow Warriors
Stadio di Monigo

Fri 4 January 2013, 19:30
Glasgow Warriors 41 - 7 Benetton Treviso
Scotstoun

Fri 4 April 2014, 19:35
Glasgow Warriors 29 - 10 Benetton Treviso
Scotstoun

Last edited by George Carlin on Thu 01 May 2014, 12:53 pm; edited 3 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Benetton Treviso v Glasgow Warriors, 2 May Empty Re: Benetton Treviso v Glasgow Warriors, 2 May

Post by RDW Tue 29 Apr 2014, 7:38 am

Reckon Welsh, Gray, Strauss, Cusiter and Russell will be rested / rotated for this one? They could probably all do with a break.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Benetton Treviso v Glasgow Warriors, 2 May Empty Re: Benetton Treviso v Glasgow Warriors, 2 May

Post by George Carlin Tue 29 Apr 2014, 7:42 am

We cannot take this one lightly. In their last home game, Treviso ran in five tries against the Dragons. They are a completely different side at home than the one to which Leinster administered a stout kick in the crackers a fortnight ago.

Really want to go home for the Zebre game with the second place finish already in the bag. Then we can start Carlin Isles...

Last edited by George Carlin on Tue 29 Apr 2014, 8:09 am; edited 1 time in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 29 Apr 2014, 7:45 am

I'm not saying take it lightly, but the players replacing those mentioned above will pretty much do just as good a job, such is the Glasgow strength in depth

Welsh - cross
Gray - swinson
Strauss - Wilson
Cusiter - niko
Russell - Dunbar/horne

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 29 Apr 2014, 8:10 am

As GC says, no complacency - hopefully a couple of returnees from injury and rest too

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Tue 29 Apr 2014, 8:29 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Reckon Welsh, Gray, Strauss, Cusiter and Russell will be rested / rotated for this one? They could probably all do with a break.

I reckon a few of the ones will be rotated out of the starting XV. If Dunbar is fit then in terms of playing 12 it's a no brainer that Russell comes out. Question is with Jackson playing so well last week, it would be tough to drop him. Which with no Russell in the team, leaves Jackson on the kicking duties and the fact that he does not even take kicks in the warm ups anymore would be a concern.

I would go for the strongest team possible in this one as its a difficult place to get a result, especially with Treviso still in a fight for a HC place. If we get the result on Friday and things go our way elsewhere, we could already have the home SF locked up for the Zebre game, which then would give us a chance to rest players. If things don't go our way over the weekend, we just need to go again on the final weekend.

My guess at the team is.

Murchie
Seymour
Bennett
Dunbar
Maitland

Jackson
Cusiter

Grant
McArthur
Welsh
Swinson
Kellock
Harley
Fusaro
Wilson

Hall
Reid
Low
Naka
Strauss
Niko
Weir
Hogg

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 29 Apr 2014, 8:39 am

Interested in Peter Horne's fitness. Apparently, his knee had some swelling after the Ulster game and so Toonie decided to rest him for the Edinburgh match.

If Dunbar is fit, then he needs gametime, as does Ryan Grant whom we will need for the playoffs. If we are patient and play a structured game, then we should be able to pick off a try per quarter.

I agree with Dot that I hope to see Hogg on the bench, having been forced to remove his Ulster Rugby baseball cap beforehand.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 29 Apr 2014, 8:45 am

Bennett to take over the kicking duties in the absence of Russell and Weir?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 29 Apr 2014, 8:46 am

George Carlin wrote:Interested in Peter Horne's fitness. Apparently, his knee had some swelling after the Ulster game and so Toonie decided to rest him for the Edinburgh match.

If Dunbar is fit, then he needs gametime, as does Ryan Grant whom we will need for the playoffs. If we are patient and play a structured game, then we should be able to pick off a try per quarter.

I agree with Dot that I hope to see Hogg on the bench, having been forced to remove his Ulster Rugby baseball cap beforehand.
and of course to sort out his "attitude"!

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 29 Apr 2014, 8:48 am

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Bennett to take over the kicking duties in the absence of Russell and Weir?
Not sure Marky is able to kick anything under 50 metres.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 29 Apr 2014, 11:42 am

George Carlin wrote:
AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Bennett to take over the kicking duties in the absence of Russell and Weir?
Not sure Marky is able to kick anything under 50 metres.

He just backheels anything under 50 metres.

angel 

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Tue 29 Apr 2014, 2:28 pm

George Carlin wrote:We cannot take this one lightly. In their last home game, Treviso ran in five tries against the Dragons. They are a completely different side at home than the one to which Leinster administered a stout kick in the crackers a fortnight ago.

Really want to go home for the Zebre game with the second place finish already in the bag. Then we can start Carlin Isles...

+1

Just get the game won.......that is the priority. Glasgow must not try and force the bonus point win. This is the last true test as a win against Zebre will be a given and there is more chance of the BP against them.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 29 Apr 2014, 2:29 pm

Clownshoes. Why, god? Why?  picard
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Tue 29 Apr 2014, 5:42 pm

The Daily Reta*d, yes the Daily feckin Ret*rd  Shocked are reporting that "Toonie plans to take Dunbar Horne and Hogg to Treviso''(Veneto).   That probably sums up their total knowledge of The Warriors and rugby in general.

Last edited by 21st Century Schizoid Man on Tue 29 Apr 2014, 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by A Simply Mesmeric Try Tue 29 Apr 2014, 8:07 pm

More nervous about this game than the 1872 cup!

Would be nice to see Hoggy off the naughty step and on to the bench. I want to see him earn back that 15 shirt that rightfully belongs to Murchie at the moment.
A Simply Mesmeric Try
A Simply Mesmeric Try

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 29 Apr 2014, 11:29 pm

Agreed on Hogg. He needs to get back playing and remind fans of his huge talents as an attacking full back. He's had bad press this year and just needs to focus back on what happens on the pitch.

The way Murchie is playing, Hogg will need to perform at his best to reclaim the jersey.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Wed 30 Apr 2014, 12:34 am

I'm tempted to rest our starting pack for this one, maybe using key players in need of game time on the bench. Sure, it's a gamble, but a 'second-string' pack is still more than capable of providing the quick ball necessary for some running rugby.

Something along the lines of:
1. Reid, 2. MacArthur, 3. Yanuyanutawa, 4. Ryder, 5. Nakarawa 6.Harley, 7. Holmes, 8. Wilson

I'd have played Eddie at 6 but he's in the 7s squad for Saturday. Hurrah for a slightly less mediocre display from our pro-infused, abbreviated team.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 30 Apr 2014, 9:29 am

Good pack, IB. Gordy Reid has really come into his own this season and was really excellent against Munster and Ulster. He needs to keep match sharp because we'll need him in the playoffs.

I like Jerry as a prop but I know that others on these boards don't rate him. With Moray Low off at the end of this season, I would think that we'll have to keep him but who, in fact, knows. The 4-8 that you name are quality throughout and I like to think would give us a very good platform.

My only worry is that Rob Harley has been playing a lot of games and must be due a rest by now? His ginger hair must be wilting.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 30 Apr 2014, 10:25 am

Surely you could play Ryan Wilson at 6 instead of Harley? Scott Johnson thinks he's an international quality blindside flanker, able to better POM and Lydiate, so why not move him to 6.

You could then play Naka at number 8 (that would be fun) and retain the ruck inspector at lock. His leadership alone will probably carry you over the line.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Wed 30 Apr 2014, 12:22 pm

Incidentally GC, who are the folk in the pictures this week?

I'm assuming that one is Adam Smith, but the other?
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 30 Apr 2014, 12:23 pm

What happened to the pretty ladies?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Wed 30 Apr 2014, 12:51 pm

This game has banana skin written all over it.

Weather forecast doesn't look great and Treviso will want to do well for the last home game of some of their key players like Ghiraldini, Cittadini, Barbieri... They will be hurting after their heavy loss to Leinster..

I for one would play the strongest possible team.

Gordy Reid to start for me.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 30 Apr 2014, 1:14 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:What happened to the pretty ladies?

GC has turned.....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 30 Apr 2014, 1:18 pm

He into his old men now like?

Asbo better watch out...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Wed 30 Apr 2014, 1:23 pm

Laugh
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 30 Apr 2014, 3:58 pm

IanBru wrote:Incidentally GC, who are the folk in the pictures this week?

I'm assuming that one is Adam Smith, but the other?
I leave this thread for one day, and I come back to filth. Typical.

There are no photos of attractive people from Treviso or the Veneto region that I could find (unless dead actresses favoured by Visconti are your thing). So this week, in honour of Scott Johnson, the theme is 'geniuses'. As stand-in schoolteacher of this thread, I am very disappointed that nobody could identify Antonio Vivaldi for Treviso and James Watt for Glasgow. Which one of them would have it in a tear-up, though? That's what I'm sure you're all thinking...
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 30 Apr 2014, 4:09 pm

You read my mind.

It would have to be the Glaswegian engineer over some poncy Italian composer you'd think. That said, the Four Seasons is a rather impressive composition for its time, and I am partial to a Vivaldi potato or two.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 30 Apr 2014, 5:22 pm

Apart from anything else Watt is 58 years younger than oor Antonio.

Always bet on the younger fighter.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 30 Apr 2014, 5:49 pm

I really don't think such ageist remarks are appropriate on here.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 30 Apr 2014, 6:13 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:I really don't think such ageist remarks are appropriate on here.

Quite right. Back to the pretty ladies instead.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Wed 30 Apr 2014, 7:51 pm

Team announced mañana dudes !

Hogg and Dunbar will get some game time I imagine but Toonie is becoming a bit of a non Muppet with his selections and is getting hard to second guess. Gordy Reid will also play along with Big Al and Swinson. Tom Ryder seems to have faded rather but still could face Treviso even for 30 mins. Madman McMata must get 40 mins at least. Other that that hard to say.

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Wed 30 Apr 2014, 9:49 pm

I agree - if we are to have any hope of Hogg and Dunbar appearing in the playoffs, they will need game time this weekend. I can see Pyrgos starting, with NitroNiko on the wing. Hopefully Horne at centre as well, perhaps with a recall for Weir.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 01 May 2014, 11:02 am

Team is up:
Benetton Treviso v Glasgow Warriors, 2 May Warrio10

Looks overrated.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Thu 01 May 2014, 11:05 am

I can't see many tries coming from that backline. Where the hell is Rob Dewey when you need him?

Very Happy

Last edited by IanBru on Thu 01 May 2014, 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 01 May 2014, 11:06 am

For those reading remotely:
01 Reid
02 MacArthur
03 Cross
04 Swinson
05 Gray
06 Harley
07 Holmes
08 Strauss (c)

09 Pyrgos
10 Russell
11 Matawalu
12 Horne
13 Bennett
14 Seymour
15 Hogg

16 Brown
17 Grant
18 Welsh
19 Nakarawa
20 Fusaro
21 Cusiter
22 Jackson
23 Maitland
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 01 May 2014, 11:07 am

Toonie taking this one seriously then! Good looking team

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Thu 01 May 2014, 11:13 am

I'd like to see a big game from Sherlock - I've always been quietly impressed by him, and he seems to come into his own against packs that might try to bully us physically. His link play isn't quite in the same league as Fozzy, but he has the added bulk to suit a pack like Treviso's.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 01 May 2014, 11:21 am

Tis a v strong bench too OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 01 May 2014, 11:56 am

IanBru wrote:I can't see many tries coming from that backline. Where the hell is Rob Dewey when you need him?
 Very Happy
Rumours abound he was last seen in Japan giving his renowned 'Crash Ball Masterclass, featuring Graham Morrison and Andy Henderson' to a group of unimpressed Tokyo primary school players.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 01 May 2014, 12:15 pm

That's a seriously handy team and a very strong bench.

Looking forward to watching that 10, 12 and 13 combination in particular. They should have plenty ball to work with, given that pack and the opposition, so time to deliver.

Also pleased to see Hogg back at 15.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 01 May 2014, 12:50 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:That's a seriously handy team and a very strong bench.

Looking forward to watching that 10, 12 and 13 combination in particular. They should have plenty ball to work with, given that pack and the opposition, so time to deliver.

As long as he's fixed that 'bad attitude' eh?! Wink

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 01 May 2014, 12:51 pm

Treviso Team

15 Brendan Williams
14 Ludovico Nitoglia
13 Michele Campagnaro
12 Luke McLean
11 Angelo Esposito
10 Mat Berquist
9 Tobias Botes
8 Marco Filippucci
7 Paul Derbyshire
6 Manoa Vosawai
5 Marco Fuser
4 Antonio Pavanello (capitano)
3 Lorenzo Cittadini
2 Leonardo Ghiraldini
1 Alberto De Marchi

Subs
16 Giovanni Maistri
17 Matteo Muccignat
19 Valerio Bernabò
20 Dean Budd
21 Alberto Sgarbi
22 Fabio Semenzato
23 James Ambrosini

4 changes + 2 positional from the XV that got ripped a right sore one in Dublin.

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 01 May 2014, 12:54 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Treviso Team

15 Brendan Williams
14 Ludovico Nitoglia
13 Michele Campagnaro
12 Luke McLean
11 Angelo Esposito
10 Mat Berquist
9 Tobias Botes
8 Marco Filippucci
7 Paul Derbyshire
6 Manoa Vosawai
5 Marco Fuser
4 Antonio Pavanello (capitano)
3 Lorenzo Cittadini
2 Leonardo Ghiraldini
1 Alberto De Marchi

Subs
16 Giovanni Maistri
17 Matteo Muccignat
19 Valerio Bernabò
20 Dean Budd
21 Alberto Sgarbi
22 Fabio Semenzato
23 James Ambrosini

4 changes + 2 positional from the XV that got ripped a right sore one in Dublin.
Backline looks useful but we should win an arm wrestle against that lot.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Thu 01 May 2014, 1:08 pm

Luke McLean at 12? Wow, I really rate him at 15, but I never saw him as a centre.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 01 May 2014, 1:30 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:

Absolutely. Imagine the cheek of seeking out a better job, with better prospects of European success and a better salary? I just don't understand people who work for the money. I personally do it for the love of my clients, finer points of detail in ill-thought through pieces of European legislation and the acute joy of completing a timesheet at the end of each day. The salary is just a bonus.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 01 May 2014, 1:34 pm

It's the kind of fixture Treviso might have been hopeful about a weaker side Smile Very Happy Rolling Eyes Hug  and then when the teamsheet gets sent round to them go  Shocked Benetton Treviso v Glasgow Warriors, 2 May 3933776953 picard Sad 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 01 May 2014, 1:35 pm

Who's our 15 though? Stuart who? Never heard of the bloke. He better be good to get parachuted in at this stage of the competition.

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 01 May 2014, 1:44 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:

Absolutely. Imagine the cheek of seeking out a better job, with better prospects of European success and a better salary? I just don't understand people who work for the money. I personally do it for the love of my clients, finer points of detail in ill-thought through pieces of European legislation and the acute joy of completing a timesheet at the end of each day. The salary is just a bonus.

And which of your clients have you allocated that 6 minutes to, fES?!

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 01 May 2014, 1:45 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:

Hug
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Thu 01 May 2014, 2:20 pm

Where did the rumours of young Hogg looking for a move come from?

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next