The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow Warriors v Benetton Treviso, 4 April

+14
Manky-Flanker
Nachos Jones
GLove39
cakeordeath
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
VinceWLB
IanBru
Captain_Sensible
jimbopip
BigGee
funnyExiledScot
Nematode
RDW
George Carlin
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Glasgow Warriors v Benetton Treviso, 4 April Empty Glasgow Warriors v Benetton Treviso, 4 April

Post by George Carlin Wed 02 Apr 2014, 12:53 pm

Glasgow WarriorsGlasgow Warriors v Benetton Treviso, 4 April Boxing10 v Benetton TrevisoGlasgow Warriors v Benetton Treviso, 4 April Italia13  

Friday 4 April
At Scotstoun Stadium, 7.35pm

Referee: Guiseppe Vivarini (FIR, 12th competition game)
Assistant Referees: James Matthew, Bob Nevins (SRU)
Citing Commissioner: John Kirk (SRU)

Not on telly, innit.

A. Teams:

I. Glasgow
Glasgow Warriors v Benetton Treviso, 4 April Mary_d10
15 Murchie
14 Maitland
13 Bennett
12 Russell
11 Matawalu
10 Jackson
09 Pyrgos

08 Wilson
07 Holmes
06 Harley
05 Kellock
04 Swinson
03 Cross
02 MacArthur
01 Reid

16 Bryce
17 Yanuyanutawa
18 Low
19 Nakarawa
20 Eddie
21 Horne
22 Vernon
23 Jones

II. Treviso
Glasgow Warriors v Benetton Treviso, 4 April Isabel11
15 Luke McLean
14 Andrea Pratichetti
13 Christian Loamanu
12 Alberto Sgarbi
11 Angelo Esposito
10 James Ambrosini
09 Tobias Botes

08 Robert Barbieri
07 Paul Derbyshire
06 Marco Fuser
05 Valerio Bernabò
04 Antonio Pavanello (capitano)
03 Ignacio Fernandez-Rouyet
02 Leonardo Ghiraldini
01 Matteo Muccignat

16 Giovanni Maistri
17 Alberto De Marchi
18 Lorenzo Cittadini
19 Corniel Van Zyl
20 Marco Filippucci
21 Fabio Semenzato
22 Alberto Di Bernardo
23 Brendan Williams

B. Form - head to head

6 Played 6
4 Wins 2
2 Losses 4
0 Draws 0
13 Tries 6
11 Conversions 5
15 Penalties 11
0 Drop Goals 2
132 Points 79
25 Avg. Age 26

C. Form - last season:

4/1/13
Glasgow Warriors 41 - 7 Benetton Treviso

27/10/12
Benetton Treviso 13 - 24 Glasgow Warriors

22/4/12
Benetton Treviso 8 - 13 Glasgow Warriors

Last edited by George Carlin on Thu 03 Apr 2014, 12:30 pm; edited 3 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow Warriors v Benetton Treviso, 4 April Empty Re: Glasgow Warriors v Benetton Treviso, 4 April

Post by RDW Wed 02 Apr 2014, 1:06 pm

Glasgow really need to start scoring some points and getting their first try BP - only Zebre have scored less than Glasgow!  Shocked 

Not been helped by half of Glasgow's games being played in pishing rain and howling wind on a mud bath, but they really need to find their try scoring mojo again.

It is the difference between top two and top 4 just now for Glasgow - try bonus points.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Glasgow Warriors v Benetton Treviso, 4 April Empty Re: Glasgow Warriors v Benetton Treviso, 4 April

Post by Nematode Wed 02 Apr 2014, 1:20 pm

I think the problem has been with injury in our backline. Niko, Weir, DTH, Horne, Dunbar, Maitland, Hogg was pretty formidable but with injury and ahem, well sheer stupidity... we lack that a bit.

I'd like to see Niko, Weir, Maitland, Dunbar, Vernon, Seymour, Murchie and Horne & Jones benching (+cusiter). Hopefully bring a bit of a better, and unexpected attack.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 02 Apr 2014, 3:44 pm

At home against Treviso Glasgow need a 5 pointer. Get Matawalu back at 9 and break up the game. Seymour and Maitland on the wings are both pretty useful, and Dunbar and Vernon in the centres can play a bit as well. Real shame that Bennett is messing about with the 7's team. This game would be ideal for him, playing alongside Dunbar. I'd play Russell over Weir as well. Time to move up a gear, and other than throwing himself around a bit in defence against the Ospreys, Weir's contribution wasn't a particularly positive one, and made the game much harder than it needed to be.

1.Reid 2.MacArthur 3.Welsh 4.Gray 5.Naka 6.Harley 7.Fusaro 8.Strauss 9.Niko 10.Russell 11.Seymour 12.Dunbar 13.Vernon 14.Maitland 15.Murchie

Go for it. If you need to calm things down and grind out the win, then Cusiter and Weir can come off the bench, with Kellock replacing Naka for some hard core ruck inspection.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 02 Apr 2014, 5:44 pm

Dunbar is definitely going to be sitting this one out, Weir and Cus must be due a rest soon as well and Seymour got injured scoring that try, goodness what backline we are likely to see!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 02 Apr 2014, 6:17 pm

Naka on the wing? The "new Jonah Lomu"......or the "new Roland Reid"....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Thu 03 Apr 2014, 11:57 am

https://twitter.com/GlasgowWarriors/with_replies

murchie, maitland, bennett, russell, niko, Jacko, prygos, wilson, holmes, harley, kellock, swinson, cross, macarthur, reid ; brice, jerry, low, naka, eddie, HORNE, vernon, jones

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 03 Apr 2014, 12:02 pm

Putting shirt numbers to those names:

15 Murchie
14 Maitland
13 Bennett
12 Russell
11 McMadman
10 Jackson
09 Henners

08 Wilson
07 Sherlock
06 Boabster
05 HM Ruck Inspectorate
04 Swinson
03 Jazzy Geoff
02 MacArthur
01 Shrek

16 Bryce
17 Jerry
18 Low
19 Flagball Naka
20 Jedi
21 Furra Liiiiine
22 BOD/Sella (Vernon)
23 Selkirk Pixie
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 03 Apr 2014, 12:14 pm

An interesting selection. The centre pairing looks very exciting. The front five are all Scottish. That back row will take no prisoners. AND Hornee Furra Linee is back  Yahoo Yahoo 
What's not to like?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Sensible Thu 03 Apr 2014, 12:18 pm

That selection has a second string feel to it, but it's still pretty strong.

Captain_Sensible

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 03 Apr 2014, 12:20 pm

Fantastic to see Bennett back at 13, and pleasing that Russell is starting to get regular rugby, albeit at 12. At least with Jackson at 10 the passing skills should go up a notch, and if he can manage not to hoof the ball out on the full at least one, then he'll be a large improvement on Weir. Also good to see Maitland back in the starting XV.

My only preference would have been for Matawalu to start at 9, with Lee Jones on the wing.

Glasgow should win this in comfort. 5 points is required. Can't see Glasgow making the same mess as Edinburgh, for starters they'd never have botched those chances and Glasgow certainly wouldn't have let in two easy scores - not at Scotstoun.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Thu 03 Apr 2014, 12:24 pm

Captain, I was thinking the same thing - other than Maitland, Harley and possible Tom Swinson, all the starting XV are second or third choice in that position. Obviously injuries to Lamont, Grant etc have forced some of these changes.

Still, I'd rather keep our powder dry for the Munster match.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Sensible Thu 03 Apr 2014, 12:26 pm

IanBru wrote:Captain, I was thinking the same thing - other than Maitland, Harley and possible Tom Swinson, all the starting XV are second or third choice in that position. Obviously injuries to Lamont, Grant etc have forced some of these changes.

Me too. The spine of the team is still strong, and it's good to see guys like Russell continue to get game time.

Strauss, Hogg, Gray Jnr, Dunbar, Cusiter, Grant, Seymour, Lamont still to come in. Glasgow really have built some serious squad depth over the last few years.

Captain_Sensible

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Thu 03 Apr 2014, 12:28 pm

Treviso team:

15 Luke McLean
14 Andrea Pratichetti
13 Christian Loamanu
12 Alberto Sgarbi
11 Angelo Esposito
10 James Ambrosini
9 Tobias Botes

8 Robert Barbieri
7 Paul Derbyshire
6 Marco Fuser
5 Valerio Bernabò
4 Antonio Pavanello (capitano)
3 Ignacio Fernandez-Rouyet
2 Leonardo Ghiraldini
1 Matteo Muccignat

A disposizione:

16 Giovanni Maistri
17 Alberto De Marchi
18 Lorenzo Cittadini
19 Corniel Van Zyl
20 Marco Filippucci
21 Fabio Semenzato
22 Alberto Di Bernardo
23 Brendan Williams

Powerfull centre pairing, reckon Bennett and Russell could struggle defensively.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 03 Apr 2014, 12:29 pm

Yes, so that means Cus, Weir, Dunbar, Strauss, Fozzy, Gray, Grant, Hall and Angela are all rested. No problem with that. Hogg still has one more week on the naughty step as a result of Dan Biggar attempting to injure Hoggy's shoulder with his face? Or two more weeks?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 03 Apr 2014, 12:32 pm

George, surely no. 22 should be BOD/Winterbottom?
Also I notice Jose is missing: checking out golfcourses on the atlantic coast no doubt.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 03 Apr 2014, 12:39 pm

George, regarding the pics accompanying the teams; Mary Doll versus Isabella Rossellini no contesta! We all know which one would give you a good podgering and a chip buttie afterwards.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 03 Apr 2014, 12:52 pm

Treviso story

Curiosity: The referee in December was the Italian Claudio Blessano, who will be replaced by another Italian referee: Mr Giuseppe Vivarini from Padua.

Some changes in the starting XV made by Marius Goosen from last Saturday's victory against Edinburgh.

Confirmed the halfbacks couple of Ambrosini and Botes, in the backs Christian Loamanu will play as outside centre, while there will be some deserved rest for Ludovico Nitoglia, replaced by another Rome born player: Andrea Pratichetti.

Up front, Marco Fuser is set to play as flanker with Valerio Bernabò as jumper alongside captain Antonio Pavanello.

In the front row will be hooker Leonardo Ghiraldini, while Matteo Muccignat and Ignacio Fernandez-Rouyet will be the props.

Celtic cap number 50 for centre Alberto Sgarbi.

Not considered through injury: Francesco Minto, Simone Favaro, Luca Morisi, Alessandro Zanni, Franco Sbaraglini, Pedro Di Santo, Michele Rizzo, Edoardo Gori, Dean Budd, Michele Campagnaro and Ludovico Nitoglia.

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 03 Apr 2014, 12:58 pm

jimbopip wrote:George, regarding the pics accompanying the teams; Mary Doll versus Isabella Rossellini no contesta! We all know which one would give you a good podgering and a chip buttie afterwards.
Laugh
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 03 Apr 2014, 1:27 pm

Great to see Geoff Cross getting a game - I'm sure he'll do a great job for you

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 03 Apr 2014, 1:38 pm

Captain_Sensible wrote:
IanBru wrote:Captain, I was thinking the same thing - other than Maitland, Harley and possible Tom Swinson, all the starting XV are second or third choice in that position. Obviously injuries to Lamont, Grant etc have forced some of these changes.

Me too. The spine of the team is still strong, and it's good to see guys like Russell continue to get game time.

Strauss, Hogg, Gray Jnr, Dunbar, Cusiter, Grant, Seymour, Lamont still to come in. Glasgow really have built some serious squad depth over the last few years.

I don't even think Lamont and Seymour are first choice at Glasgow anymore, DTH and Maitland would be my first choice wingers.

The depth at Glasgow is excellent in most positions, particularly now that Cross and Jones are with you.......

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 04 Apr 2014, 10:12 am

Ola amigos, is the game viewable anywhere since Alba aren't doing it?
(If anyone says ,"Yes at Scotstoun." They win a fortnight's work experience painting the lines on the M25 with Asbo.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Fri 04 Apr 2014, 10:16 am

jimbopip wrote:Ola amigos, is the game viewable anywhere since Alba aren't doing it?
(If anyone says ,"Yes at Scotstoun." They win a fortnight's work experience painting the lines on the M25 with Asbo.

It's not, although I am hoping it is at least audio of some sort

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 04 Apr 2014, 10:30 am

Big game for Glasgow tonight, Toonie has taken a calculated risk that he can afford to rest a few players. It has been a long season for some of them with some crucial games still to come so you can see the sense in that and the team still looks strong enough to beat the Italians at home.

First things first, win the game. If the bonus point comes along then great, but they would be wise not to chase it to early on. They look like they have rested a few as well, and will have had a relatively quick turnaround from a saturday game, with travelling on top. Patience and precesion will win this game.

I would like to see Mark Bennett show us what he can do. He looked like the player we hoped he would become in the HK sevens last weekend and hopefully he can bring that form into this game. If the jetlag catches up with him, we will see Richie Vernon come into the game for the second half bringing his own brand of direct centre play. Niko will move to SH at some point in the second half as well, hopefully just as their pack starts to tire a bit. If we have a lead at that point, hopefully we will then be able to cut loose!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 04 Apr 2014, 10:34 am

One of the things that made Glasgow so successful last season was winning these kind of games where he had rested several key players. Let's hope that carries on tonight.

Glasgow's team is pretty lightweight, particularly in the backs, so can see a quick tempo game being used to move the big Treviso team around.

Hopefully it's not pishin doon in Glasgow, although chances are high!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Fri 04 Apr 2014, 1:01 pm

Hey Jimbo, BBC Radio Scotland will have it - I'll post a link when I'm back from work and cleaned the yellow paint from me work boots.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Fri 04 Apr 2014, 2:37 pm

IanBru wrote:Hey Jimbo, BBC Radio Scotland will have it - I'll post a link when I'm back from work and cleaned the yellow paint from me work boots.

Perfect, tonight I will have a nice bath, a drink and listen to the game. Best Friday night ever....

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 04 Apr 2014, 4:54 pm

Ian, thank you if I can find it I shall be glue-eared to the Bakelite.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Fri 04 Apr 2014, 5:00 pm

A bath with Peter Wright:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/scotland/18287084

heart No need to thank me, chaps. heart 
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Fri 04 Apr 2014, 6:59 pm

IanBru wrote:A bath with Peter Wright:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/scotland/18287084

heart No need to thank me, chaps. heart 

Awesome. Come on Warriors

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Fri 04 Apr 2014, 7:44 pm

2 tries up after only 5 minutes. Surely the long awaited bonus point win will come tonight

Last edited by GLove39 on Fri 04 Apr 2014, 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Fri 04 Apr 2014, 7:44 pm

Its on the cards Glove39 Very Happy

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Manky-Flanker Fri 04 Apr 2014, 7:57 pm

4 tries in the first 12 mins, game not televised, typical  Sad 

Manky-Flanker

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Fri 04 Apr 2014, 8:01 pm

Maitland is having a stormer.

Such a smart player - instrumental in three tries, scored none. Exactly why Gatland and the other lowbrows don't rate him.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Fri 04 Apr 2014, 8:28 pm

So 19-10 (3 tries up) at half time.
Sounds as if the last 20 minutes haven't been great, lets hope they can press on in the second half and build the score and get that all important 4th try.

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Fri 04 Apr 2014, 8:32 pm

Sounds as if Rhubarb is having a nightmare

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 04 Apr 2014, 8:49 pm

Since Schiz isn't posting I'll say it : Jerry Yaya and Big Leone are on now for all out Fijian madness.
And Maitland has just scored  Very Happy 

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Fri 04 Apr 2014, 8:49 pm

4th try, Maitland gets a try for himself  Yahoo 

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Fri 04 Apr 2014, 8:52 pm

Finally Very Happy

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Fri 04 Apr 2014, 8:55 pm

Furrrraaaaaa Lineeeeeeeeeeee has come on at 12

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by Manky-Flanker Fri 04 Apr 2014, 8:56 pm

Good to see Horne back in the thick of it  Very Happy 

Manky-Flanker

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Fri 04 Apr 2014, 9:28 pm

So 29-10 at full time. Bonus point win secured in what sounds like a scrappy game.

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Fri 04 Apr 2014, 10:09 pm

It was pretty scrappy, but most of our problems were of our own making.

Take the amount of ball kicked away that you'd consider to be too much, then add 50% to that, and then cover it with cream and brandy and top off with a caremalised cherry. That's how much we were kicking. Similarly, the try we conceded was soft and came from poor defensive positioning and a bit of naiveity - the attack simply caught us off-guard, which cannot be excused at this stage of the season. Jacko was poor, and Russell seems to be coming on at just the right time, thank God.

All that being said, in scoring their tries, Glasgow were back to their glorious, incisive, offloading best. We just didn't do it enough. Russell was excellent, Bennett actually passed the ball, and Maitland had his best game in a Glasgow shirt in my opinion.

The forwards were a bit weak, but this was practically a 2nd/3rd-string pack. It was obvious, however, how much we were missing Strauss. Wilson is good, no doubt, but he's a poor substitute for Bluto himself.

I can't remember how long I've said this, but if we could just put in a full 80 minute performance, we can and should beat anyone in the Pro12. Getting that performance takes time, and we're rapidly running out of that.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 04 Apr 2014, 10:34 pm

Well looks like the gamble paid off and we have a 5 pointer in the bag. There have not been any more of those this year!

Its the result that counts and there will be a very different looking team out next week against Munster and no doubt a very different kind of game. Keep looking forward and anything is possible!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 04 Apr 2014, 10:44 pm

Yahoo 

Great win warriors!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Fri 04 Apr 2014, 10:56 pm

Table looks a lot better after that.
Back into play off spot, and 4 points ahead of the Ospreys with a game in hand.
And only 4 behind Ulster, again with a game in hand, their visit to Scotstoun will be such a massive game  boxing 

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 04 Apr 2014, 10:58 pm

Sounds like Russell had a stormer!

From what Glasgow fans have seen is he a better ten or 12? He seems to have played most at 12

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sat 05 Apr 2014, 8:47 am

Good 5 points and a terrific first 10 mins when Maitland was on fire with his backs. Then Jacko decided to kick the ball aimlessly upfield to Treviso players and it fell away. Jackson looked good with ball in hand too. The backs had an excellent night whereas the forwards, with the notable exception of Bob Harley, did not. Tries all very good. Lineout a shambles with both hookers (MacArthur and Bryce).

Finn Russell has arrived !
 Yahoo 
21st Century Schizoid Man

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sat 05 Apr 2014, 10:29 am

Great win with a second string side. 5 points is what mattered.

Fantastic that Maitland is on form. Scotland really miss his clever wing play. Shame the lineout was a shambles. Was Al Kellock not playing? Sounds like Jonny Gray need not worry too much about his place!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sat 05 Apr 2014, 12:14 pm

Biggest cheer of the night was when Peter Horne came on - tremendous to see him back playing  clap 

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next