The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will Fast Eddie pull a fast one

+16
aja424
KingMonkey
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Izzi
Rowley
AlexHuckerby
Hammersmith harrier
leedizzle1986
Elpondo
Derbymanc
Strongback
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
hazharrison
TopHat24/7
hampo17
irishbrads
20 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Will Fast Eddie pull a fast one - Page 2 Empty Will Fast Eddie pull a fast one

Post by irishbrads Tue 08 Apr 2014, 2:38 pm

First topic message reminder :

So its Froch v Groves II in less than 8 weeks, got my ticket, flight & hotel booked, only one thing missing……………………………the undercard.

I remember when the rematch was announced, Fast Eddie (Frank Warrens words not mine) said there was a budget for another two world title fights on the undercard.

Funnily enough this was all before the tickets went on sale, now that it’s a sell out all talk of the undercard has gone quiet.  

Given that the fight is almost seven weeks away how likely is it that we will get two world champions willing to travel to the UK to defend their titles on such short notice.

On the Mayweather V Canelo (a much bigger fight than Froch v Groves II) undercard we had two world title fights in Garcia v Matthysse & Smith v Corlina.

Coming up on the Mayweather v Maidana undercard we have Khan v Collazo, seems even Mayweather being the global superstar and the biggest draw in boxing realises even he needs a decent undercard.

Froch v Groves II is massive no doubt maybe its just the case that the casual fan won't be too bothered if the undercard isn't 'stacked' and is there still time for a decent undercard to be announced?

irishbrads

Back to top Go down

Will Fast Eddie pull a fast one - Page 2 Empty Re: Will Fast Eddie pull a fast one

Post by aja424 Wed 09 Apr 2014, 1:52 pm

hampo171 wrote:The reason I don't have any expectations though is because we are less than eight weeks away and no world champion is realistically going to want to defend his belt, on foreign soil, at such short notice.

Having followed the build up to this fight very closely, so that I can cover it for the site and our magazine, I would be amazed if we see another world title fight on the card, I'd be happy to be proven wrong though.

Good to know you have it covered for us mate.

aja424

Back to top Go down

Will Fast Eddie pull a fast one - Page 2 Empty Re: Will Fast Eddie pull a fast one

Post by catchweight Wed 09 Apr 2014, 2:54 pm

The whole show just wouldnt feel right unless there is a Kell Brook eliminator fight on the undercard. Really hope Hearn sees sense and gives the fans what they want.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Wed 09 Apr 2014, 2:59 pm

Final eliminator? Or just a bog standard eliminator?

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Wed 09 Apr 2014, 3:02 pm

For a stage this big its got to be a final eliminator. The big one. Yes, Carson Jones III.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Thu 10 Apr 2014, 11:03 am

I think Eddie is just waiting on the outcome on a few of the weekends fights until making a significant announcement of the Froch undercard. Apart from the bad luck Brook has had with injuries, Eddie has been true to his word and never fails to deliver.

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by Mayweathers cellmate Thu 10 Apr 2014, 9:20 pm

The (poor) undercard won't be an issue as long as the fight lives up to expectations. If it doesn't there will be big problems for Eddie.

Mayweathers cellmate

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman01 Fri 11 Apr 2014, 12:05 pm

The undercard looks set to feature DeGale and Joshua, both interesting supporting acts.

However, Hearn will really be missing a trick if he doesn't get one of his other, ranked fighters to compete. It is set to be one of the most watched boxing cards in British history, getting Brook as chief support in a competitive match-up would do wonders for his profile.

Surely Matchroom will want to show-off as many of their stable as possible to the millions of people who will be tuning in.

Gentleman01

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 11 Apr 2014, 12:14 pm

You'd like to think so Gent. Would also like to think Sky's memories were not so short as to forget the abuse and bad press the likes of Haye Audley and Klitschko managed to earn them through poor main events and limited undercards for PPV. Would like to think they would be exerting pressure on Eddie to deliver.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by rob-glos Fri 11 Apr 2014, 2:46 pm

So far we know about DeGale and Joshua.
It's also been confirmed that Mitchell will fight in a final eliminator and Eddie said yesterday that there is another world title fight to be added to the undercard next week.

That might be about it as he's said before it will probably only have 5-6 fights on the bill.

rob-glos

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 11 Apr 2014, 3:04 pm

Think he is perhaps restricted to an extent Rob, there is a match on there the day before which means tidying up the venue and setting it up for boxing will take a while. Think the transport folk were resistant to it finishing too late as well, and he needed their OK to release the other 20,000 tickets. Personally could not care, would always prefer quality over quantity, whether we get that remains to be seen.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by rob-glos Fri 11 Apr 2014, 3:23 pm

Wasn't a criticism, I understand the restrictions they have for his bill.

More an observation.

Personally I prefer a bill with fewer fights of a higher calibre.
Sitting through a 15 fight card where 13 are poor isn't a great night out.

rob-glos

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman01 Fri 11 Apr 2014, 3:41 pm

Completely agree with the quality over quantity aspect. I'd be very happy with Joshua, DeGale, Mitchell, and one other competitive match-up, as support to the main event.

Ultimately, I'm going for Froch vs Groves. A good undercard would be a bonus, but I'm not overly bothered, if truth be told.

Gentleman01

Back to top Go down

Post by irishbrads Sat 12 Apr 2014, 12:45 pm

Gentleman01 wrote:Completely agree with the quality over quantity aspect. I'd be very happy with Joshua, DeGale, Mitchell, and one other competitive match-up, as support to the main event.

Ultimately, I'm going for Froch vs Groves. A good undercard would be a bonus, but I'm not overly bothered, if truth be told.  

Thats the thing though, they have to be competitive match ups. I'm personally not that interested in DeGale fighting a final eliminator especially considering he's already mandatory for WBC

Something like a paul smith v rocky fielding for the british title would be a great main support, i'd prefer that to the likes of mitchell and degale in eliminators, never truer words said than 'Eddie loves an eliminator'

irishbrads

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2