The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will Fast Eddie pull a fast one

+16
aja424
KingMonkey
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Izzi
Rowley
AlexHuckerby
Hammersmith harrier
leedizzle1986
Elpondo
Derbymanc
Strongback
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
hazharrison
TopHat24/7
hampo17
irishbrads
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Will Fast Eddie pull a fast one Empty Will Fast Eddie pull a fast one

Post by irishbrads Tue 08 Apr 2014, 2:38 pm

So its Froch v Groves II in less than 8 weeks, got my ticket, flight & hotel booked, only one thing missing……………………………the undercard.

I remember when the rematch was announced, Fast Eddie (Frank Warrens words not mine) said there was a budget for another two world title fights on the undercard.

Funnily enough this was all before the tickets went on sale, now that it’s a sell out all talk of the undercard has gone quiet.  

Given that the fight is almost seven weeks away how likely is it that we will get two world champions willing to travel to the UK to defend their titles on such short notice.

On the Mayweather V Canelo (a much bigger fight than Froch v Groves II) undercard we had two world title fights in Garcia v Matthysse & Smith v Corlina.

Coming up on the Mayweather v Maidana undercard we have Khan v Collazo, seems even Mayweather being the global superstar and the biggest draw in boxing realises even he needs a decent undercard.

Froch v Groves II is massive no doubt maybe its just the case that the casual fan won't be too bothered if the undercard isn't 'stacked' and is there still time for a decent undercard to be announced?

irishbrads

Back to top Go down

Will Fast Eddie pull a fast one Empty Re: Will Fast Eddie pull a fast one

Post by hampo17 Tue 08 Apr 2014, 2:40 pm

There was a press release last week that said Anthony Joshua would be playing a key part in the undercard, here's the link; http://www.v2journal.com/29/post/2014/04/joshua-to-appear-on-frochgroves-undercard.html

Kevin Mitchell's supposed world title shot now looks to be a fight for the mandatory status so it's unlikely the undercard will uproot any trees.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 08 Apr 2014, 2:51 pm

My hope is that he doesn't put on a weak card with AJ on early doors, as then I have to be in for the AJ fight (don't wanna miss) but then have to sit through dross waiting for the more interesting stuff to get going......

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 08 Apr 2014, 2:53 pm

PS: is it worth a pre-emptive strike, blocking/banning Strongy from the thread? lol

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by irishbrads Tue 08 Apr 2014, 2:57 pm

Yeah i've heard Joshua v Sprott is a a potential, i would have thought Joshua being on the undercard would have been a given and wouldn't warrant any special press release.

My question is though, if Eddie Hearn reckons there is the budget to put on another two world title fights, and these world title fights don't go ahead and instead we get a load of the matchroom stable fighting "TBA's"..............were does the budget go if its not spent on world titlle fights............................ Whistle

irishbrads

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Tue 08 Apr 2014, 3:02 pm

They do press releases for pretty much everything mate, all of them feature on the site for us as well and most others including Ringnews24 and Top Class Boxing.

He could have put the entire card from Cardiff on the undercard and you would have had a decent undercard, not world titles granted but Rees vs Buckland again, first fight was a very good watch, Selby, Cleverly.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 08 Apr 2014, 3:05 pm

I wouldn't expect much: he's already sold the tickets and so doesn't have to break his neck delivering anything outstanding.

These cards are way too long in any case (and most people dodge about in the bars until the main event).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue 08 Apr 2014, 3:26 pm

the first fight only really had quigg

If the rematch is even close to as good as the first one then i wont care about the undercard tbh

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue 08 Apr 2014, 3:33 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:PS: is it worth a pre-emptive strike, blocking/banning Strongy from the thread? lol

It doesn't matter what I say or what Eddie does he will be loved on this site forever.

Shows how easy people can be bought with a few free tickets.  I do find the mods appearing every time I mention Hearn a little amusing.  I've been much more disrespectful of Haye in the past but but nobody was too bothered.......well except Dave.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 08 Apr 2014, 3:49 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:PS: is it worth a pre-emptive strike, blocking/banning Strongy from the forum? lol
Fixed that for ya!

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Tue 08 Apr 2014, 4:27 pm

Strongback wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:PS: is it worth a pre-emptive strike, blocking/banning Strongy from the thread? lol

It doesn't matter what I say or what Eddie does he will be loved on this site forever.

Shows how easy people can be bought with a few free tickets.  I do find the mods appearing every time I mention Hearn a little amusing.  I've been much more disrespectful of Haye in the past but but nobody was too bothered.......well except Dave.

We let a lot of it going untouched Strongy, but that thread earlier today was a complete turd heap that would have ended up one way, easier to stop it early than let it go on forever and take ages cleaning it up.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 08 Apr 2014, 4:32 pm

Laugh

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue 08 Apr 2014, 4:47 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Laugh

Riveting contribution again.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 08 Apr 2014, 4:53 pm

No less riveting that your nauseating "Eddie Hearn does something terrible" articles.

Face it STRONGY, you've achieved nothing other than to demonstrate how much of a sad obsessed stalkerish little w*nker you really are when it comes to Hearn, Booth, Haye etc.

I'd suggest you get a life but sadly, that IS your life.

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 08 Apr 2014, 4:58 pm

You and Truss are equally sensitive to people having a simple laugh, aren't you?

And equally unoriginal, repetitive and generally banal in your 'contributions' also....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 08 Apr 2014, 4:59 pm

DAVE667 wrote:No less riveting that your nauseating "Eddie Hearn does something terrible" articles.

Face it STRONGY, you've achieved nothing other than to demonstrate how much of a sad obsessed stalkerish little w*nker you really are when it comes to Hearn, Booth, Haye etc.

You know it's bad when you start resorting to quoting Coxy.....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 08 Apr 2014, 5:01 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:No less riveting that your nauseating "Eddie Hearn does something terrible" articles.

You know it's bad when you start resorting to quoting Coxy.....
Still doesn't stop in being right on the money though does it?

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue 08 Apr 2014, 5:09 pm

Little acorns grow into big oak trees, you can apologize to me when the Hearn backlash begins on here.

Somebody around here has to show some vision particularly with a myopic clown like yourself hanging around the place.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Tue 08 Apr 2014, 5:30 pm

You've got less vision than Blind Al,

As has been pointed out countless times on here, Eddie (Mr Hearn to you) has done more than enough for the boxers under his wing. You refuse to see it at all. And am sure at one point were even saying he'd done wrong by Darren Barker. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 08 Apr 2014, 5:33 pm

Strongback wrote:

Little acorns grow into big oak trees, you can apologize to me when the Hearn backlash begins on here.

Somebody around here has to show some vision particularly with a myopic clown like yourself hanging around the place.
Little acorns also get nibbled up and shat out by squirrels, son.

As the likes of Rowley say, if Hearn does anything to make him appear mercenary in the future he won't have done anything every other promoter in history has done before....and none of us are unaware of this fact despite you believe your opening our eyes to the truth.

Essentially you're the David Ike of the forum. Full of hot air, nonsense and a f*****g laughing stock!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue 08 Apr 2014, 5:40 pm

Derbymanc wrote:You've got less vision than Blind Al,

As has been pointed out countless times on here, Eddie (Mr Hearn to you) has done more than enough for the boxers under his wing. You refuse to see it at all. And am sure at one point were even saying he'd done wrong by Darren Barker. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hearn is no diffferent to Warren. He'll quit boxing when he loses the Sky deal. Sky will definitely pull the plug if Hearn keeps putting on dire cards.

Hearn shares somethings in common with Tony Blare and Barrack Obama.........style over substance. In saying that Blair and Obama are exceptionally intelligent, Eddie's more on the estate agent level.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 08 Apr 2014, 5:44 pm

Strongback wrote:

Hearn is no diffferent to Warren.  He'll quit boxing  when he loses the Sky deal.  Sky will definitely pull the plug if Hearn keeps putting on dire cards.  

Hearn shares somethings in common with Tony Blare and Barrack Obama.........style over substance.   In saying that Blair and Obama are exceptionally intelligent, Eddie's more on the estate agent level.
With spelling like that, I see you as being as lavatory attendant level...chump!

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue 08 Apr 2014, 5:45 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
Strongback wrote:

Little acorns also get nibbled up and shat out by squirrels, son.

As the likes of Rowley say, if Hearn does anything to make him appear mercenary in the future he won't have done anything every other promoter in history has done before....and none of us are unaware of this fact despite you believe your opening our eyes to the truth.

Essentially you're the David Ike of the forum. Full of hot air, nonsense and a f*****g laughing stock!!!!!!!!!!!!

Essentially you're a dribbling spa$tic.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue 08 Apr 2014, 5:49 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
Strongback wrote:

Hearn is no diffferent to Warren.  He'll quit boxing  when he loses the Sky deal.  Sky will definitely pull the plug if Hearn keeps putting on dire cards.  

Hearn shares somethings in common with Tony Blare and Barrack Obama.........style over substance.   In saying that Blair and Obama are exceptionally intelligent, Eddie's more on the estate agent level.
With spelling like that, I see you as being as lavatory attendant level...chump!

At least I spelled it correctly once. Spell checking is panacea to the mediocre types in the admin department down the cop shop.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 08 Apr 2014, 5:58 pm

Strongback wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
Strongback wrote:

At least I spelled it correctly once.  Spell checking is panacea to the mediocre types in the admin department down the cop shop.
However it's vitally important when it comes to Crown Court Indictments and the like. Can mean the difference between a person being imprisoned and released on a technicality. Thank chuff they don't have you on the job...the streets would be awash with criminals. Mind you, with your current Eddie Hearn obsession, I'm sure you already think that's the case. Still, at least the toilets are clean with you around.

Anyway, you're boring me on too many levels now STRONGY. I have stuff to be getting on with. I'll leave you to your sad obsessed stalkerish behavior and don't forget...MORE BLEACH FOR CUBICLE THREE!!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue 08 Apr 2014, 6:03 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
Strongback wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
Strongback wrote:

At least I spelled it correctly once.  Spell checking is panacea to the mediocre types in the admin department down the cop shop.
However it's vitally important when it comes to Crown Court Indictments and the like. Can mean the difference between a person being imprisoned and released on a technicality. Thank chuff they don't have you on the job...the streets would be awash with criminals. Mind you, with your current Eddie Hearn obsession, I'm sure you already think that's the case. Still, at least the toilets are clean with you around.

Anyway, you're boring me on too many levels now STRONGY. I have stuff to be getting on with. I'll leave you to your sad obsessed stalkerish behavior and don't forget...MORE BLEACH FOR CUBICLE THREE!!!!!!!!!!

If I worked for the police force I'd be telling you to do the spell checking or more likely I'd be instructing the guy that tells you what to do.

Sh!t flows downhill kid.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Elpondo Tue 08 Apr 2014, 10:28 pm

Anyway, back to the question. I'm sure that it's a very small undercard due to the Wembley curfew. 5 fights maximum.
Froch v Groves
Joshua in 5 round demolition of Sprot ?
Mitchell v unheard of South American
And two more... Campbell & Callum Smith ?

It doesn't get the pulse racing but the first fight had an awful undercard too

Elpondo

Back to top Go down

Post by leedizzle1986 Tue 08 Apr 2014, 11:23 pm

I too am attending and have paid a small fortune for decent tickets as well as the Hilton next door to Wembley....

Anyway on to the point in hand.... I do have faith Eddie will put on a decent If not spectacular under card. As per the poster above Joshua and Mitchell are a shoe in (both Londoners).

So if we have Froch vs Groves
Mitchell in an eliminator
Joshua vs Splott

That's not a bad start. The problem is I am now a bit stuck. There is a show in Manchester in April and also shows scheduled for May and June in Cardiff and Hull.... so a lot of the Match room talent is a bit tied up.... any further ideas who could appear?

leedizzle1986

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 08 Apr 2014, 11:29 pm

I wouldn't be surprised to see Degale on the card, now a free agent and also a londoner plus there's a chance he becomes the mandatory challenger for the winner.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by leedizzle1986 Tue 08 Apr 2014, 11:36 pm

That's a good shout. Can see Matchroom snapping him up. Personally would be satisfied with seeing Joshua, Degale and Mitchell live, especially with the calibre of main event.

leedizzle1986

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 08 Apr 2014, 11:41 pm

Think that the likes of Campbell and Joshua and Smith, in other words the new main generation will be put on, think Hearn is thinking of the future and going to try and sell these guys to the public as much as he can as they're all going to be major headliners in the future if they carry on.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by leedizzle1986 Wed 09 Apr 2014, 12:08 am

Smith is fighting in Manchester next week and then fighting Tobias Webb in Wales so he won't be on thei bill. Campbell is also fighting next week so I wouldn't bank on him either.Mitchells fight is on Boxrec. Fighting an unbeaten Canadian which could be a good test. Think that's a good move as his recent opposition would not have prepared him for Vasquez at all. I am quite high on Mitchell. Still think he has a world title in him if he can keep on the straight and narrow.

leedizzle1986

Back to top Go down

Post by irishbrads Wed 09 Apr 2014, 5:14 am

hampo171 wrote:They do press releases for pretty much everything mate, all of them feature on the site for us as well and most others including Ringnews24 and Top Class Boxing.

He could have put the entire card from Cardiff on the undercard and you would have had a decent undercard, not world titles granted but Rees vs Buckland again, first fight was a very good watch, Selby, Cleverly.

i'm sure you've heard the saying hampo "if your granny had balls she'd be your Granda".......................

thats all if's, ands, buts and maybe's.

Fact is eddie talked about another two, not one, two, world title fights on the undercard, very unlikely we'll get even one.  

I'm not going to lie and say i bought my ticket because of the undercard, i bought it for Froch v Groves but hearing Eddie talk about two world title fights i was thinking this was gonna be some kind of a boxing extravaganza!!  Yahoo  

Johsua v TBA doesn't get me excited, we all know he's not going to lose, him winning is a formality, its all about development with Joshua atm, not putting him in competitive match ups.

Barry Hearn tweeted last night saying that Eddie had beat him him every challenge to date, i replied and said he should challenge Eddie to see if he can put on a decent undercard for Froch Groves, he replied "Don't worry. It's coming"..................we shall see.

irishbrads

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed 09 Apr 2014, 7:59 am

Not sure what I said was ifs and maybes at all, if you moved the Cardiff show to Wembley and used it as the Froch vs Groves 2 undercard you'd have a decent undercard, certainly would be a lot better than the one I expect to see anyway.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by irishbrads Wed 09 Apr 2014, 8:36 am

hampo171 wrote:Not sure what I said was ifs and maybes at all, if you moved the Cardiff show to Wembley and used it as the Froch vs Groves 2 undercard you'd have a decent undercard, certainly would be a lot better than the one I expect to see anyway.

well exactly that,  "if",  you moved the Cardiff card to wembley.  Thats not going to happen in reality so thats a big 'if,and, but or maybe' in my book.

you don't seem to have any expectations of the undercard which is good for you as this pretty much guarantees you won't be disappointed.

i do and have an expectation and that expectation stems from Eddie Hearn telling everyone before the tickets went on sale that he had the budget for two additonal world title fights.  Unlike you i will most probably end up disappointed.

irishbrads

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed 09 Apr 2014, 8:49 am

The reason I don't have any expectations though is because we are less than eight weeks away and no world champion is realistically going to want to defend his belt, on foreign soil, at such short notice.

Having followed the build up to this fight very closely, so that I can cover it for the site and our magazine, I would be amazed if we see another world title fight on the card, I'd be happy to be proven wrong though.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 09 Apr 2014, 9:12 am

Not sure what all the fuss is about a world title fight. The term is devalued to such a point as to be rendered pretty much redundant in this day and age. I once went to a Warren card in Cardiff with two world title fights on, one was Calzaghe vs Manfredo the other was Enzo Mac vs Bobby Gunn. If my choice is watching a Buckland Rees rematch for no belt or Enzo vs Gunn it really is no choice.

That said I have little hope for the undercard, Eddie has realised the fight sells irrespective so suspect we will endure the bare minimum he can get away with.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Wed 09 Apr 2014, 10:10 am

Hampo, was it confirmed if you got press passes or not?

I seen it mentioned ages ago but nothing since then

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 09 Apr 2014, 10:14 am

Strongback wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
Strongback wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
Strongback wrote:

If I worked for the police force I'd be telling you to do the spell checking or more likely I'd be instructing the guy that tells you what to do.

Sh!t flows downhill kid.
If you worked for the Police there'd be serious questions asked re our recruitment policy and it's obvious failings.

Like you say, sh!t flows downhill so, another timely reminder for ya STRONGY...

EVEN MORE BLEACH FOR CUBICLE THREE

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzi Wed 09 Apr 2014, 10:17 am

Don't start darbymanc, will just set Strongy off who will lead you to believe each of the mods had to take a money shot in the face to get passes and have an orgy with him and his staff. And they are all eddies husbands and loyal to their man.

Izzi

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 09 Apr 2014, 10:17 am

Derbymanc wrote:Hampo, was it confirmed if you got press passes or not?

Think that was for the Liverpool card actually.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 09 Apr 2014, 10:25 am

I reckon if Quigg comes through 19th unscathed then he may be put on the card.

The undercard may be being held back to see how the guys on the next few shows fair in their fights.

Anyway I am in the same boat as Brad, I only booked my trip on the basis of the main event and the occasion of being at Wembley for it.

If the fight had of been held at the MEN again, I probably wouldn't have went.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 09 Apr 2014, 10:31 am

As long as the fights are entertaining, your run of the mill boxing fan won't give two hoots if they're World title fights or not. Chances are that calling a fight a "World title fight" is a sure fire way of ensuring it's a damp squib.

Anyway, it's like going to a gig, whilst it's nice to get the odd surprise, you generally don't want the support band upstaging the headliners.

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Wed 09 Apr 2014, 10:34 am

I just wondered as it hadn't been mentioned. Balls to Strongy, if he can't accept that it's ultimately good for the site itself that's his issue.

I think if it does happen and it's kept quiet it gives more ammo to the 'You only like Eddie cause you have to' argument

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed 09 Apr 2014, 11:15 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:
Derbymanc wrote:Hampo, was it confirmed if you got press passes or not?

Think that was for the Liverpool card actually.

Yeah we got passes for Liverpool but my daughter ended up being ill so I couldn't go sadly, hopefully going to the show on the 19th involving Quigg, have applied for Owen to go to the Cardiff show and one of our other writers to go to the Wembley show so fingers crossed.

Chris went to a Dave Coldwell show in February, and both myself and Chris are hoping to attend shows he is holding in may at Deeside Leisure Centre (N.Wales) and Sheffield Ice.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed 09 Apr 2014, 11:16 am

Izzi wrote:Don't start darbymanc, will just set Strongy off who will lead you to believe each of the mods had to take a money shot in the face to get passes and have an orgy with him and his staff. And they are all eddies husbands and loyal to their man.

We have to wear special goggles so it doesn't get in our eyes.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Wed 09 Apr 2014, 11:21 am

Spot on there fellas. I know we all like to think of things as ours (I've been reading this site since it started.) But the regular contributors (even Trussy ;-) should be proud that it's looked on as a good enough site that promoters want the writers to go to the show and report on it.

It's great for me as i miss loads of fights due to work and i can access this no problem at work.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Wed 09 Apr 2014, 12:52 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:I reckon if Quigg comes through 19th unscathed then he may be put on the card.

Without digging you out Reeborn; so what? The first fight had plenty of names on the card but all in utter dross match ups. Such is the time frame now that we are almost certainly destined for the same again. Loads of people will claim it to be stacked (STACKED) with Joshua, Campbell etc, Hearn will retweet as much as he can, then everyone sits there bored until the main event.

For the first time, I'm glad I'm not going.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by irishbrads Wed 09 Apr 2014, 1:39 pm

KingMonkey wrote:
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:I reckon if Quigg comes through 19th unscathed then he may be put on the card.

Without digging you out Reeborn; so what?  The first fight had plenty of names on the card but all in utter dross match ups.  Such is the time frame now that we are almost certainly destined for the same again.  Loads of people will claim it to be stacked (STACKED) with Joshua, Campbell etc, Hearn will retweet as much as he can, then everyone sits there bored until the main event.

Well said and i'll go as far to bet money that excluding possibly Froch not one matchroom fighter will lose on the night, thats how uncompetitive i believe the match ups will be

irishbrads

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 09 Apr 2014, 1:50 pm

KingMonkey wrote:

Without digging you out Reeborn; so what?  The first fight had plenty of names on the card but all in utter dross match ups.  Such is the time frame now that we are almost certainly destined for the same again.  Loads of people will claim it to be stacked (STACKED) with Joshua, Campbell etc, Hearn will retweet as much as he can, then everyone sits there bored until the main event.

I wasn't saying he will be in a competitive fight. The point was someone asked about the undercard. I was just stating that Quigg may be on it. Now leave me alone or I'll tell my mummy on you.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next