The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

European's playing mens college golf in the USA...

+9
dynamark
kwinigolfer
lorus59
super_realist
McLaren
GPB
Bob_the_Job
boyhyde
robopz
13 posters

Go down

European's playing mens college golf in the USA...  Empty European's playing mens college golf in the USA...

Post by robopz Fri 14 Mar 2014, 1:27 am

Maybe I'm just not seeing them... but there doesn't seem to be as many European players filling out U.S. Collegiate rosters compared to 10 years ago.

I did find a few... for instance...
Cameron Shaw (ENG) and Joel Staller (FRA) at Cal
David Boote (ENG) Stanford
Gavin Moynihan (IRE) Alabama

and UC Fullerton has 5 of their 9 man roster being from Europe.... but other spot checking top teams and it's been pretty spotty?

Anybody have any impressions if I'm correct on that or not? if I am... are there so may professional playing opportunities now that players no longer feel the need to take the college option as they once did? Thoughts?

robopz

Back to top Go down

European's playing mens college golf in the USA...  Empty Re: European's playing mens college golf in the USA...

Post by McLaren Fri 14 Mar 2014, 4:39 am

There was also that guy that won the US amm and who had to quit northwestern when he realized his mother wasn't going to be around to tuck him in at night anymore. No doubt his career is currently rocketing to oblivion.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

European's playing mens college golf in the USA...  Empty Re: European's playing mens college golf in the USA...

Post by boyhyde Fri 14 Mar 2014, 8:27 am

Not sure on numbers but reading the England Golf website earlier in the week, they call out a couple of English guys who have recently won college events in the US - Greg Eason (6 collegiate wins apparently) and Tomasz Anderson (4 wins)

Is it possible, having seen the likes of Manassero, that they are turning pro younger ie. pre college?

boyhyde

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 14 Mar 2014, 8:40 am

I know of lots of guys who have gone through the system but failed to complete their degrees for a number of reasons.

One guy from St.Andrews, a little lad in stature but as bigheaded as you'll ever meet, and who has never been better than scratch and not a prayer of making it in even a 4th rung pro tour, gave up a place at a pretty good university simply because he didn't think he was playing enough competitions.
I think many of these guys are just deluded as to how good they are.

Now he's just another deadbeat at a Poly cum "Univeristy".

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Fri 14 Mar 2014, 8:55 am

You missed Gareth Lappin from Belfast - Michigan State I think, although he has some tie up and plays for/at FSU?
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 14 Mar 2014, 5:32 pm

robo,
I don't have your patience, but it's often been the exception (Casey, Canizares, Donald, Hansen, Noren, Pieters - who can't seem to make a cut -Martin etc) rather than the rule (McDowell, Knox, Laird, Norlander, Montgomerie, Rhys Davies, Phelan), that Europeans enrol at the Big Conference Universities.

I wouldn't doubt that some less fashionable colleges still recruit in Europe, chappettes as well as the chaps!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun 16 Mar 2014, 4:00 pm

Spot checking some Euro sounding names from Golfweeks rankings

Vanderbilt's Matthias Schwab (ranked #43 in Golfweek) is from Austria.

Central Arkansas' Pep Angles (#46) is from Spain.

Arizona's Erik Oja (#47) is from Sweden

Central Florida Ricardo Gouveia (#50) is from Portugal

Memphis' Lars van Meijel (#53) is from the Netherlands

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 21 Mar 2014, 7:31 am

An explanation of sorts, as to why fitzpatrick dropped out of northwestern;

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2014/3/20/us-amateur-champ-admits-school-was-getting-in-the-way.html

I guess selling mars bars in the pro shop in a couple of years time won't get in the way of anything. Not like a university education would have helped.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 21 Mar 2014, 7:49 am

McLaren wrote:An explanation of sorts, as to why fitzpatrick dropped out of northwestern;

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2014/3/20/us-amateur-champ-admits-school-was-getting-in-the-way.html

I guess selling mars bars in the pro shop in a couple of years time won't get in the way of anything.  Not like a university education would have helped.

I think lots are like that Mac, good sportsmen are seldom academic. Not surprising many can't make it though, even an American degree.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 21 Mar 2014, 8:17 am

Same reason Faldo left - he found he had to go to classes.

Northwestern is a top, top Uni incidentally, not the sort of degree warehouse most go to.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Sat 22 Mar 2014, 7:25 am

Many top players have never went to college. Norman, Garcia, McIlroy, Westwood, etc. None are American. Are there any successful American players who have never went to college before turning professional?

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 22 Mar 2014, 10:00 am

Trevino one of the most notable from days gone by.
Kevin Na among those now on Tour.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Wed 02 Apr 2014, 6:44 pm

Im sure I read in montys bio that he climbed out of a window to escape his US college!
Im still here folks work getting in the way but playing Glen Gorse tomorrow.
Good lad from Kirby Muxloe at us college at the minute around tenth in world am rankings
best wished to all incl mac!

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Wed 02 Apr 2014, 6:52 pm

Greg Eason at four. luv the internet.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by longgame Wed 09 Apr 2014, 11:25 am

I knew Tomaz Anderson as an amateur over here (a few years younger than me)
Very talented player who is now playing college golf in the states - not sure how he is getting on but I know he got quite far in the English amateur(SF?) this year

Not sure what I think of the whole collegiate American golf thing.
For Lads who are decent (scratch) and think they have a long shot of playing tour golf its clearly a good thing as they can get a decent education if golf doesn't work out. But for those who are a very high calibre amateur (+3 ish) then I think if you are doing it for golfing reasons its probably the wrong choice.

Tom Lewis (another local lad who I played a bit if junior golf with - again a few years younger than me) left school asap and just hit balls / played all day.
His dad is a PGA pro and obviously knew the best way for Tom to have a shot at the Pro ranks which is now paying off. I remember him once telling a county selector that Tom would not be playing u-18s county golf matches as they are a waste of time and wont benefit him becoming a pro golfer.

longgame

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 09 Apr 2014, 10:38 pm

longgame,
Playing US College Golf has apparently benefitted a few players - it would be interesting to hear about golfers who feel their upward mobility has been stifled.
I seriously doubt Casey, Donald, Blixt, Noren, Knox, Laird, McDowell, even Montgomerie would do too much different.
But then you have the Rhys Davieses of this world, perhaps Pablo Martin, who may feel differently. Thomas Pieters did very well in college but now seems to be struggling
Don't know. Faldo said he booked outathere as soon as he found out he had to attend classes, and it sounds like Fitzpatrick did much the same thing.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Thu 17 Apr 2014, 5:16 pm

Greg Eason now up to 3 in world amateur but also qualified for some level pro tour and turning professional in a few weeks.
Talking last night with a guy who had chipped in £30k to sponsor an Et player 25 years ago.Best result 16th in the Belgian open!

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by henniebogan2 Mon 28 Apr 2014, 5:36 am

robopz wrote:Maybe I'm just not seeing them... but there doesn't seem to be as many European players filling out U.S. Collegiate rosters compared to 10 years ago.  

I did find a few...  for instance...

and UC Fullerton has 5 of their 9 man roster being from Europe.... but other spot checking top teams and it's been pretty spotty?

Anybody have any impressions if I'm correct on that or not?  if I am... are there so may professional playing opportunities now that players no longer feel the need to take the college option as they once did?    Thoughts?  

If they are going to take a spot in our colleges and play for our teams, then come Ryder Cup time, if qualified, they play for our team. Otherwise, go to school in your country of origin.
henniebogan2
henniebogan2

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Howell Mon 28 Apr 2014, 12:12 pm

There was Kevin Phelan, but he turned pro last year after earning his European Tour card. Most young European golfers will turn pro early if they are good enough. The advantage of going to college in the US is to gain entry to the USA, albeit temporary, until such times as you can apply for a greencard.

robopz wrote:Maybe I'm just not seeing them... but there doesn't seem to be as many European players filling out U.S. Collegiate rosters compared to 10 years ago.  

I did find a few...  for instance...

Anybody have any impressions if I'm correct on that or not?  if I am... are there so may professional playing opportunities now that players no longer feel the need to take the college option as they once did?    Thoughts?  
Peter Howell
Peter Howell

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Howell Mon 28 Apr 2014, 12:18 pm

If they are going to take a spot in our colleges and play for our teams, then come Ryder Cup time, if qualified, they play for our team. Otherwise, go to school in your country of origin. [/quote]

Doesn't work like that Hennie.
Peter Howell
Peter Howell

Back to top Go down

Post by henniebogan2 Mon 28 Apr 2014, 1:00 pm

Peter Howell wrote:If they are going to take a spot in our colleges and play for our teams, then come Ryder Cup time, if qualified, they play for our team. Otherwise, go to school in your country of origin.

Doesn't work like that Hennie.[/quote]
I know Mr. Howell. I just don't like the current scenario. Especially with respect to taking a valuable spot in high profile schools.
henniebogan2
henniebogan2

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 28 Apr 2014, 1:58 pm

hennie,
If there were enough young Americans with a decent high school education and a good golf game, there wouldn't be the attraction of recruiting foreign students. Still not as bad/good as tennis though. And for some sports, football for a start, Colleges are crying out for decent players who learned the game the right way in Europe.

Never mind, in a year or so's time they'll all be unionized!

Peter Howell seems to think green cards are easier to come by than they actually are . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by henniebogan2 Tue 29 Apr 2014, 2:33 am

kwinigolfer wrote:hennie,
If there were enough young Americans with a decent high school education and a good golf game, there wouldn't be the attraction of recruiting foreign students. Still not as bad/good as tennis though. And for some sports, football for a start, Colleges are crying out for decent players who learned the game the right way in Europe.

Never mind, in a year or so's time they'll all be unionized!

Peter Howell seems to think green cards are easier to come by than they actually are . . . . .

I don't disagree with you there. Our educational system leaves alot to be desired, and it's turned into college football. It's all about making more and more money and education takes a back seat to money. Same thing in golf. Kids are more worried about making money, or believing they can make big money on tour, and so they believe they each can skip the process of learning how to compete and how to win. Tiger used the perfect blueprint and it paid off with 79 wins and 14 majors.
henniebogan2
henniebogan2

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 29 Apr 2014, 3:42 am

Kwini

Did you have issues getting a green card? criminal record or something?  Wink 
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 29 Apr 2014, 4:01 am

First time up I got rejected.
They don't tell you why but I was the only one in our group (the company I worked for used an immigration lawyer) without a degree.

Didn't really care at the time and went back to England after four years. But then got the chance to come back and got put through the wringer, despite American wife and very tangible creation of a sh1t load of jobs. Mrs kwini and I were interviewed simultaneously, in separate rooms, to assure them it wasn't a marriage of convenience!
Awful process. Think Casey had to go to LA to get his sorted the day before he teed it up in New Orleans!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Tue 29 Apr 2014, 4:45 am

I often wonder how much administration is involved with golfers getting visas to play all around the world. Do they need work permits to work (play golf) in every country?

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 30 Apr 2014, 12:19 pm

lorus59 wrote:I often wonder how much administration is involved with golfers getting visas to play all around the world. Do they need work permits to work (play golf) in every country?

I would expect so. I assume they need a letter from the local tournament organiser, there's probably an admin team that organise everyone's visas.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down