The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AJ Styles

+10
Hero
Adam D
Dolphin Ziggler
Gregers
XR
talkingpoint
The_Enigma
crippledtart
Marky
Kid Vicious
14 posters

Go down

AJ Styles Empty AJ Styles

Post by Kid Vicious Tue 17 Dec 2013, 5:19 pm

AJ Styles is out of contract with TNA..
Supposing he doesn't resign and instead moves to the E for that WM30 pay cheque, how will they bury him?

Kid Vicious

Back to top Go down

AJ Styles Empty Re: AJ Styles

Post by Kid Vicious Tue 17 Dec 2013, 5:24 pm

Let me clarify. Would he come in as a Main Eventer, feuding and losing to Punk and Bryan, or will he be fodder amongst the mid card?

Kid Vicious

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Tue 17 Dec 2013, 5:29 pm

If (and it's a big if) he does move to WWE for WM30, I'd say feuding with the likes of Sandow/Ziggler/Cesaro/Kingston, either in a MITB match or one or more of those over either the US or IC Title.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Kid Vicious Tue 17 Dec 2013, 5:43 pm

Who would you want to see him feud with?

Kid Vicious

Back to top Go down

Post by crippledtart Tue 17 Dec 2013, 6:41 pm

I don't think they'd have any interest in him whatsoever.

They would not consider his TNA past to be of any relevance, therefore they would view him as a funny-looking bloke in his mid 30s with a southern accent. I don't even think they would see him as a midcarder based on that criteria.

I don't mean to sound harsh on AJ, who is undoubtedly talented, but he's just not their cup of tea at all.

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Enigma Tue 17 Dec 2013, 10:17 pm

AJ's already taking various Independent Bookings up until at least March. He's scheduled to face Chris Hero (Kassius Ohno) at SMASH Wrestling in Ontario, Toronto in late January and is scheduled to face Eddie Edwards in his 'Farewell' match with New York based 2CW in March.

He's hot property right know in the Independent scene, so if nothing with WWE ever does materialize then that the Indy Scene's gain! Sure he wouldn't make as much money being in WWE but he'd make almost as much, if not the same matching TNA by taking regular Indy Bookings right now. I honestly can't believe TNA have let him walk away, best case scenario would be for AJ to create some buzz for himself and return to TNA in 6 Months Time.

AJ Styles Vs Johnny Gargano, Kevin Steen, Chris Hero will all certainly freshen up the indy scene.

The_Enigma

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Wed 18 Dec 2013, 10:02 am

TNA should do their very best to resign him asap. Working some independent shows won`t hurt him and keep him active and on the IWC`s radar until his return. According to the dirtsheets AJ was offered a contract by the WWE supposedly only worth 20% of what he made with TNA. That should tell AJ something that any aspirations he may have as a professional wrestler of joining the "big league" of the WWE, his goals will never come true because WWE would put him into NXT and most probably future endeavour him like Chris Hero after a year. TNA is AJ`s home and TNA need him too, as long as they can work out a gimmick that actually works for him. Hopefully when he returns, he`ll morph back into the phenomenal one gimmick and try to play the "best in the world" gimmick in the way that will work for him best - less talking more action. AJ can deliver on action. He has plenty of guys in TNA who he could realistically feud with to establish his claim - Daniels, Aries, Joe, Angle, Roode, Hardy. There`s plenty of IWC darlings in there to help put AJ over as a credible world champion.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Kid Vicious Wed 18 Dec 2013, 10:59 am

Morning update - word is he's already resigned with TNA.

Kid Vicious

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Wed 18 Dec 2013, 12:32 pm

WWE wouldn't have that spot monkey. He's 36 (i think?) too, why would wwe want him?

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Wed 18 Dec 2013, 1:46 pm

gcBlues wrote:WWE wouldn't have that spot monkey. He's 36 (i think?) too, why would wwe want him?

Because he is far far more than a spot monkey. Styles vs Bryan, Styles vs Ambrose, Styles vs Rollins, Styles vs Punk. They would all be superb matches
Not as good as if Aries went WWE but still

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed 18 Dec 2013, 5:43 pm

Id be sad if I saw AJ Styles in WWE. He may have been good some time ago, but he isnt anymore

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 18 Dec 2013, 6:52 pm

gcBlues wrote:WWE wouldn't have that spot monkey. He's 36 (i think?) too, why would wwe want him?
when they can have youngsters like Golddust, Kane and hhh featured in prominent positions each week.

Aj styles was never going anywhere anyway.

I agree that he would be wasted in wwe. Even if he was gold on the mic (which he is far from), Vince has a habit of burying top stars from other companies.

Whoever said he should bring back his phenomenal gimmick. He can still go as well as anyone. His problem is that he isn't very engaging. I think TNA are doing well at the moment to hide his shortcomings.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Wed 18 Dec 2013, 7:17 pm

Goldust has actually impressed in ring since coming back. He's obviously dropped a bit of weight and has actually been decent.

Vince likes guys who can talk and get over, when AJ talks its painful to listen too.

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 18 Dec 2013, 7:21 pm

So question for you gc - who is better?
Golddust RVD or aj ?

Rank them for me in your opinion.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Wed 18 Dec 2013, 7:52 pm

The difference being between those three is that people know who Goldust and RVD are.
People don't see Dustin Runnels and remember him from his time as Black Reign in TNA.
To introduce AJ would involve WWE having to invest time and effort to get him over whilst RVD or Goldust is a quick buck.
It's the same in Hollywood, a sequel or remake of a well known franchise is a much safer get for the film companies than an original screenplay that noones heard of but is probably better than the remake.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed 18 Dec 2013, 8:35 pm

What if the original screenplay is arguably no better?

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Thu 19 Dec 2013, 2:58 am

Adam d wrote:
when they can have youngsters like Golddust, Kane and hhh featured in prominent positions each week.

Aj styles was never going anywhere anyway.

I agree that he would be wasted in wwe. Even if he was gold on the mic (which he is far from), Vince has a habit of burying top stars from other companies.

Whoever said he should bring back his phenomenal gimmick. He can still go as well as anyone. His problem is that he isn't very engaging. I think TNA are doing well at the moment to hide his shortcomings.

That`s the job of every promotion - to conceal a wrestler`s weaknesses and play up their strengths. I think AJ`s recent BFG series run as the disillusioned loner was done well, but giving him the responsibility of delivering "pipe bombs" on Dixie and hoping he`d do it as well as CM Punk was asking too much from him. Don`t get me wrong, I liked some of his promos before BFG, but his strength is definitely in the ring. Now he`s world champion, I think he should focus not so much on trying to bring down the establishment, but rather having 5* matches with his opponents and proving he is and always has been the phenomenal one.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu 19 Dec 2013, 8:55 am

I wanted the E to sign him just to see what name they'd have given him

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by 6cw Hobo Thu 19 Dec 2013, 8:56 am

A Joey Styles III?

6cw Hobo

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Thu 19 Dec 2013, 9:12 am

Well this is what the man himself had to say before the most recent rumours of his re-signing with TNA:

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/438799-aj-styles-issues-official-statement-on-his-current-tna-status-and-negiations

MY STATEMENT ON TNA CONTRACT NEGOTIATIONS 12/16/13

Today for the first time in 11 years, AJ Styles awakes to find himself without a professional wrestling contract. I can't help but think how did I get here, what must I have done wrong, did I not deliver in the ring, etc. All of those are pertinent questions that any man or woman who finds himself or herself unemployed would ask.

I have always prided myself in being the wrestler that stays away from the things in this business that could easily destroy myself, my family, my marriage, and even my career. A wrestler who goes above and beyond to give the fans what they paid to see.

I move forward not bitter, but better for the blessings and memories that I have been a part of since TNA's inception.

When this contract renegotiation journey started several months ago, my wife and I began praying for God to close doors that needed to be closed and to open the doors that He wanted us to walk through. We asked him to prepare us for this journey and to help us to have the faith to be obedient to what He would have us to do. I am assured by the name Immanuel in Matthews 1:23 that I will never be alone. Hebrews 13.5, says He will never leave us or forsake us. There is a lot in this world that I am unsure of, especially in this moment, but there is one thing that I am certain. Contracts may expire, but the promise of Immanuel will never expire.

As my family and I move forward with my wrestling career, we will turn to Jabez's prayer found in 1 Chronicles 4:10.

Oh, that You would bless me indeed,
and enlarge my territory,
that Your hand would be with me,
and that You would keep me from evil.

My family and I are both grateful for the platform that TNA has allowed me to experience. TNA has been a blessing to our family for many years. We have made many friendships and many more memories. While you may not be seeing AJ Styles in TNA, you can be sure that he will be traveling the world and delivering many more Phenomenal matches. Visit AJStyles.org for a complete list of bookings.

Sincerely,

AJ Styles

If he has re-signed with TNA then it's the best move for all concerned. WWE had little to no interest in him - as witnessed by their derisory offer to him - and even if they had signed him they'd have probably jobbed him out in rapid fashion.

I think Styles himself will be relieved that he gets to stay in TNA (as strange as that might sound given their recent woes) he's just never struck me as the kind of guy who'd want to be in WWE, he'd only go if it was an absolute necessity.

And TNA get to keep one of their premier performers. Sure he's not great on the mic - he won't deliver a pipebomb - but he's more than passable in my opinion. He'll always deliver in the ring though.

As for his WWE name I reckon they'd have called him something like Cletus Fiddygiddy.

theundisputedY2D2

Location : Down By The Clyde, Near The SECC - You Can't Miss It!

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Thu 19 Dec 2013, 2:26 pm

Well, if he is coming back to TNA, so much the better. I always enjoy his matches - as a wrestler he's got to be as good as anyone out there.

I do agree though, that as a character, he is somewhat lacking (apart from the "good ol' Southern boy" thing - and frankly Storm does that better).

I did cringe during the last promo / contract signing for his fight with Bully Ray. Bully launched into this brilliant eloquent speech about how AJ didn't have the strength, heart of guts to beat him, calling himself Darth Vader and saying AJ was no Luke Skywalker. All Styles could come back with was to call Bully a "big dumb bitch". Just awful.

From the sound of it, seems WWE prefer their stars to be better actors than wrestlers...maybe thats why so many of them are ending up in Hollyweird lately. Wink
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Fri 20 Dec 2013, 10:20 am

Kay Fabe wrote:I wanted the E to sign him just to see what name they'd have given him

Probably John Smith or the most ordinary American name they could think of!

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by 6cw Hobo Fri 20 Dec 2013, 10:24 am

talkingpoint wrote:
Kay Fabe wrote:I wanted the E to sign him just to see what name they'd have given him

Chip Patriot?

6cw Hobo

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Fri 20 Dec 2013, 4:26 pm

talkingpoint wrote:

It would be something quite Southern like Troy Cash

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Kid Vicious Fri 20 Dec 2013, 4:41 pm

Kay Fabe wrote:
talkingpoint wrote:

It would be something quite Southern like Troy Cash

Unless they decide to go Krusher Khruschev on him and repackage him as a foreigner. Arachni-Homme.

Kid Vicious

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Fri 20 Dec 2013, 6:11 pm

Laugh 

Seriously tho' Because he's so well known and guys like Bret Hart have been vocal with their belief that he's the best I think they might keep him in tact as much as possible, Amazing Jay Styles or something like that

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down