The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Interview with AJ Styles

Go down

Interview with AJ Styles Empty Interview with AJ Styles

Post by Adam D Sat 08 Dec 2012, 7:53 am

Last week, we were supposed to be attending a press conference with AJ Styles as we do every month before a TNA PPV.

However, due to some technical difficulties, the phone call had to be abandoned. But what it fif allow everyone in attendance was to send over some questions via email and here are the answers:

INTERNATIONAL QUESTIONS:
With TNA’s relationship with the UK stronger than ever, we are now awaiting the debut of our very own British Boot Camp. Have you had a chance to meet The Blossom Twins, Marty Scurll and/or Rockstar Spud and, if so, are there any stand outs in your eyes that would fit in in TNA.
Chris Duke, Original FM

I’ve met all of them. I’ve known Rockstar Spud longer than any of them. I think he’s an awesome talent and strong as a wrestler. Marty I don’t know as well but definitely a great wrestler. The Blossom Twins, they’re pretty awesome. I think they’re unique, I think they’re good wrestlers. So, to pick a standout among them is just too hard, they all have something to offer. If it was up to me, all of them would get hired.

On the subject of UK talent, you recently spent some time in Scotland, what are your memories of working in Scotland, the Scottish fans, and Scottish talent?
Chris Duke, Original FM

They’re some of the best fans in the world. I mean, the whole UK clique has the best wrestling fans in the world. I just love going over there. They’re loud, they’re obnoxious, exactly the kind of fans that we want. They want to watch the show rather than be a part of it which is, you know, exactly what any wrestler wants.

Your cage match against Abyss at TNA Lockdown 2005 is highly-regarded amongst fans. Do you enjoy working against those of a similar size, or is it a great challenge and thrill working opposite bigger guys?
Jamie Kennedy, Fighting Spirit Magazine

I think that Abyss is one of the best wrestlers, and especially one of the best big men in the wrestling business. To have a match like that with him was awesome. It was one of my favorite matches ever. It’s not a challenge to wrestle guys bigger, smaller. I like being able to wrestle any size and be able to get in there and mix it up with everybody. So, it’s not a challenge if you know what you’re doing.

We recently spoke to Eric Bischoff regarding TNA, and he feels the company has a tremendous buzz from being live. How do you think the talent are enjoying working live, does it change anything in terms of getting ready to perform?
Jamie Kennedy, Fighting Spirit Magazine

Well, I can definitely speak for myself. Going live has changed things. It’s changed the atmosphere. It’s changed the fans. They’re live; they’re on TV. When the light comes on, they’re on there too, so they’re a little more excited, as we are. I think that’s a big step in the right direction and it is only going to get better.

You've mentioned in previous interviews that as much as you enjoy competing with Christopher Daniels you are getting sick of wrestling him and he is of you. With this in mind, do you feel then perhaps a sense of closure or even relief to be competing in what's being billed as your last ever encounter?
Chris Pilkington, Collar & Elbow

Well, I’ve got to be honest with you, I don’t see how it could be our last encounter ever because at some point we are going to have to mix it up again. We’re going to have to. Not because we want to, because we have to. I don’t want to wrestle him anymore; he doesn’t want to wrestle me anymore. It’s basically based on the fact that we know each other so well it’s a challenge to make it different from anything else we’ve ever done. It’s a challenge; it’s a lot of pressure. So, to go at it one more time and put everything we have into it, I can do that.

Further to this, in years to come, how do you think the whole AJ Styles vs. Christopher Daniels Feud will be remembered?
Chris Pilkington, Collar & Elbow

I think, and this is a strong word to use, but it’ll be epic. It wound up being one of these rivalries that went on for years and, who knows, we may be two old men at the end of our careers wrestling each other for the last, LAST time.

After negotiations broke down with Hulk Hogan in 2005 you stated you were glad that Hogan was not in TNA. I was wondering whether your opinion of him had changed since he joined TNA and what impact you feel he’s had on the company?
Jason-Lee Ridpath, Alternative Wrestling Magazine

I think it definitely has changed, even from the first day that we talked and whatnot. Communication is a whole lot better. Obviously I didn’t know him in 2005. I just knew of what he had done. But now, getting to know him a little bit better, communication is the key and it’s a lot better.

What has been your favourite moment or match wrestling in the UK?
Jason-Lee Ridpath, Alternative Wrestling Magazine

Probably when I wrestled Kurt Angle when we still had the six-sided ring years ago. It wasn’t even on TV, but it was in front of some of the wildest fans in the world so therefore we had to kill each other in that ring and we had a good time doing it.

You've won everything there is to win in TNA, former Heavyweight Champion, first ever Triple Crown and first Grand Slam winner. Other than trying to emulate Eric Young and winning the Knockouts titles what motivates you as a performer?
Michael D’Souza, Crush FM

I think that being professional is what motivates me. I mean, I’m a professional wrestler and I hold that in high regard. I take pride in my work so I’m going to go out to the ring every time and put on a great show. Not just for me, but for the fans.

With the TNA ‘Road To Lockdown’ UK Tour coming up, what place have you seen in the UK that would you most like to live in?
Michael D’Souza, Crush FM

I will say this about the UK. It’s always rainy there, but I do enjoy myself when I go over there. I’ve got some friends over there that I get to see, one of my best friends is over there and since he lives in the London area, I’d have to pick London, just because he lives there, not because it’s the better place, not because it’s better than Manchester, just because I know someone there.

Your rivalry with Christopher Daniels has spanned over a decade, do you think we'll ever see another rivalry like it in TNA and, if so, who has the potential to do this?
Danny Pardoe, Concerts Captured

They’ll never be another rivalry like me and Christopher Daniels. There never will because there are not two guys that know each other as well as we do. It’s impossible and not just because it’s been going over a decade, because it’s been going on longer than that. That’s just the time we’ve been here at TNA. We’ve wrestled longer than that. One of my first matches that got me on the road to making a name for myself was against Christopher Daniels.

With regards to the upcoming UK tour, what are you most looking forward to about it?
Danny Pardoe, Concerts Captured

The fans. The fans. They make TNA. They’re the reason why we go over there. Without them, we don’t go over there. They’re the best in the world.

- Your match this Sunday with Daniels is being dubbed ‘one last time’, is there any chance we could see you actually join forces with Daniels and Kazarian over the next 12 months ?

Not a chance. I can’t see myself being tagged with those guys and doing Gangnam style with them. It’s just not going to happen.

- After your Australian tour what was the one thing you recommended other TNA talent see in Australia should they visit the country ?

You know, I don’t think you can help but watch it but one of my favorite things was going to observe and watch footie ball, which is Australian-rules football and it was awesome. I am a Kangaroos fan, you know, a Melbourne fan. Yeah, I think that was one of the things that I really enjoyed the most.

- What is your number 1 goal in IMPACT WRESTLING in 2013 ?

My number one goal? Do I dare say win the World Heavyweight Title? I think my number one goal is to make AJ Styles more relevant, whether it be the world title, the X division title, tag titles, television title, I want to be different. I want to be the guy that you truly think, “That guy is awesome. That guy is TNA. He embodies everything that IMPACT wrestling is.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down