The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where now for Broner and Maidana?

+15
Seanusarrilius
88Chris05
Gerry SA
Lance
sittingringside
Hammersmith harrier
owen10ozzy
Herman Jaeger
kingraf
jimdig
catchweight
milkyboy
All Time Great
hampo17
Bighead
19 posters

Go down

Where now for Broner and Maidana? Empty Where now for Broner and Maidana?

Post by Bighead Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:59 am

Very very very long time reader first time writer. Have been looking on these forums since the bbc days and loved the topics and banter between members. The antics of d4, truss's legendary articles, Alex da man's raps and the many other posters I do not have time to mention. First post so go easy on me but an obvious one post fight.

Where next for Broner and Maidana?

Bighead

Back to top Go down

Where now for Broner and Maidana? Empty Re: Where now for Broner and Maidana?

Post by hampo17 Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:10 am

Broner needs to go down in weight. While he has the speed he has very little power in his punches, he just couldn't get the respect of Maidana last night. He also needs to stop trying to copy Mayweather, he gets hit far to often and doesn't roll punches properly.

Maidana, the world just opened up for him. A two weight world champion, and he's beaten the next big thing apparently. I'd like to see him go on with Bradley, it's be a great fight and would test Bradleys whiskers again.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bighead Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:26 am

With Broner's documented weight issues I think a drop down in weight would be recommended. Jumping two divisions was not a smart move. A couple of low profile fights to build up his confidence and then lord knows what next for him. I think he needs to concentrate on trying to be himself as opposed to mimicking Mayweather.

As for Maidana the world is his oyster. I agree a fight with Bradley would be intriguing and also with a host of other names in the welterweight division which is a rich pool of talent. With Khan allegedly moving up in weight I would love to see a rematch but the chance of that happening are slim to none with rumours of a fight in May with Mayweather

Bighead

Back to top Go down

Post by Bighead Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:28 am

I basically agree with you hampo

Bighead

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:15 am

Maidana will be found out against the more skilled fighters. So as soon as he steps up against the likes of Bradley, Alexander and (god forbid me say it...) Khan, he will get out boxed.

If he fights Thurman next, he losses for me- far too one dimensional.

As for AB, he needs to decide if the fight game is for him. It doesn't matter who you are, you can't go on a rap tour and gain 20lbs in weight, and then expect to fight at your level best after a 8 week training camp.

This could well be the last we see of him.

Last edited by All Time Great on Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:24 am

Unless he tries to get all ppv friendly like he did against provodnikov, Bradley boxes maidana's ears off for me. But whoever he fights, maidana will always give value.

Broner, well he's just not a welter, and as has been well documented, for all his talents, he's too easy to hit and doesn't work hard enough. Whether that's natural stamina issues or conditioning, or just being a prat I genuinely don't know.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:36 am

Broner is a welterweight, hes just not a very good one. The reason he got to where he was is because of the 36 hour weigh ins which have allowed him (probably illegally) to use huge weight advantages on his opponents. At welterweight he actually boxes people his own size rather than much smaller opponents. You could tell against Gavin Rees and Malignaggi that Broner was all hype.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:58 am

Welcome bighead. I don't believe Broner can get back to lightweight. He balloons too much between fights, and not in the ricky hatton way, he seems to bulk. He came in at 144 for this fight, so maybe he can get to 140lb. A Garcia fight would be the obvious direction for him, but based on last nights performance Garcia would ruin him.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:10 am

catchy... but everyone balloons up. Maidana was north of 160 last night. Debatable if broner can make light weight but he can make light welter easily.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:21 am

Broner went wrong by going off the Floyd Mayweather path to success. He let the fans pick his next fight, what he should have done is pick his next opponent, and let Ring and GBP sucker fans into thinking it's a relevant fight.

Haven't seen the fight, but my Twitter feed is telling me that it was doozy, can he get a rematch?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:25 am

I'd like to see him fight Matthysse next at 140.

Always seemed strange he bypassed 140.

He has no future at 147, no power and looks like his chin isn't all that. Rest of his career may just become a con, I can see Schaeffer now.

He should give up rapping to the ring too. Not exciting at all.

Last edited by Herman Jaggery on Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:17 pm

Agree with Hampo,

Maidana now has another big fight waiting around the corner and hopefully he gets a good level of praise off the back of this victory, despite Broner not being as good as many though he was indeed the supposed heir apparent to Floyd's throne.

Disagree with all time that he loses against anyone skilled; lest we forget that Broner was supposed to have vastly superior boxing skills. Think Bradley probably does outbox him, but he would completely mug Alexander (much like Porter did) and would certainly stand every chance against Khan. The fight I can actually see happening is Maidana vs Pacman...it's another fight which Manny could come out of looking superb but equally Maidana is more than capable of shocking the world again; especially if Pacmans whiskers have gone.

As for Broner, like many have said, stepping down in weight seems like the only way to go really. Not powerful or strong enough at Welterweight. The only issue is wether he has the dedication to the sport to make Light-Welter; certainly can't see him going any lower than that. That being said, he can fight in any division he want's but until he shows more commitment, drops the ego and takes the sport serious their will always be someone who will expose him. Needs to knuckle down and get his own style of fighting instead of being a Poundland version of Mayweather! I suspect he will sack it all off though to be honest...genuinly think he fully expected to be able to half ass his way through his career with his 'god given' naturaly ability. Now he has been found out not sure he will fancy it anymore...and I for one certainly won't lose any sleep about it!

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:24 pm

We need to give Maidana a lot of credit in completely turning his career around since the Alexander loss, he's still not gifted with sublime skill but you can see he's been working very hard on his jab and overall punching variety.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:26 pm

Ozzy, Maidana was completely outclassed by Alexander recently, have the roles reversed so much for the opposite to now happen, I don't think so.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:50 pm

Harrier - I think they have in the sense that Porter showed exactly what you have to do against Alexander. Take nothing away from Devon, he has decent boxing skills but he lacks a Plan B and goes completely into a shell when things aren't going his way...something I don't think you can change in a fighters make up. Whilst Maidana doesn't have the skills that Porter has I do think he has improved under Garcia...last night he almost reverted to type by being a simple brawler but that's because he saw it worked in the opening round. I just think that Alexander is going to struggle now that people have seen how you beat him...unless of course he can improve ten fold on the inside & get some power.

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by sittingringside Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:38 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:We need to give Maidana a lot of credit in completely turning his career around since the Alexander loss, he's still not gifted with sublime skill but you can see he's been working very hard on his jab and overall punching variety.

He looks much more confident in his boxing and shot selection, his footwork has actually always been o.k because he's quite an athletic guy, but Garcia looks like he's tightened up some of his signature punches a little.

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:43 pm

broner needs to learn how to use his feet. or hes gonna struggle. whats his best win? a split against paulie? maidana hasnt just become a world beater, broner has been exposed.

hopefully maidana gets a massive payday, the guy deserves it.

back to the drawing board for broner. if he can learn how to use his feet, then he has the upper body and hand speed to go with it

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:48 pm

Lance wrote:broner needs to learn how to use his feet. or hes gonna struggle. whats his best win? a split against paulie? maidana hasnt just become a world beater, broner has been exposed.

hopefully maidana gets a massive payday, the guy deserves it.

back to the drawing board for broner. if he can learn how to use his feet, then he has the upper body and hand speed to go with it

Lance - What do you mean by Upper body? Are you talking from a defensive stand point?

This is something I read plenty of times in the build up to this, but I just don't see it. He doesn't avoid that many punches given people have said he has excellent upper body movement & reflexes. Even as far back as DeMarco I remember him getting caught far to frequently.

If you don't mean it in that sense then apologies  Hug 

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:01 pm

Broner was always a hyped up nobody.

He showed against Ponce de Leon he's clueless against anyone who can throw the left hook powerfully.

Broner made a career of beating up smaller men. He's got no real power.

If Broner goes down to 140, I'd expect him to fight Lamont Peterson. As so he can pick up a 4th title in a different weight class and Broner can pretend to be a star again.

If Broner fights Garcia or Matthysse, he gets retired.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:54 pm

I have to admit I bought into the hype too. But boy am I glad to see him beat. The signs were all there, plenty saying on this forum that he gets hit too easily, calling out that's our own Gavin Rees had no problem (pardon the pun) never mind mallinaggi. But the so called experts on websites like espn, were excusing broner, saying "he allows opponents to hit him, because he knows they can't hurt him" turns out he let's opponents hit him because he isn't that good.

Note to self, trust in what you see, rather than pundits excuses.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:45 pm

Thurman is the interim WBA title holder now, so presumably Maidana is going to have to face him soon enough. Maidana would probably like a bigger money fight than that, but I just don't think Maidana himself is a big enough name to tempt the real, real star names.

Great fight for the neutrals, though. I thought Thurman looked the best he's ever looked so far last night. Still open but once he was buzzed early on he did have the good sense to use his legs and speed. As the fight went on he was picking out some good counters, and the finish was top drawer. Controlled, accurate and showed some finesse and balance that he hadn't shown before.

But then again, this was Soto Karras he was up against. Very tough, never stops coming forward (Thurman spent a lot of time on the back foot, as I said earlier).....But ever beatable for the top names in the division.

I think both Maidana and Thurman are a few key ingredients short of the elite class, but I hope their next fight is against each other.

As for Broner, I agree that a move back down in weight might benefit him. The fact that he's still so young, has a knack for (dreadful) self-publicity and fights aggressively mean that he'll still be able to attract the bigger names at Light-Welter, where I think he should have made a pit stop before in any case. I suspect Garcia's team will want to keep him away from any potential banana skins as they'll have one eye on a Mayweather fight in 2014, but that still leaves Matthysse, as well as the possibility of a fight with Provodnikov, who apparently is free to switch between HBO and Showtime as he and his team choose. Golden Boy will still market Broner as the next big star of boxing, albeit a star who has just suffered a setback, and fights against those two are guaranteed to be good viewing regardless of the result.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:58 pm

I see Matthyse doing a very similar job to Maidana and had the benefit of being that bit tougher. Prov could find himself outboxed quite comfortably if he doesn't land hard and early. So many good exciting fights to be made in the divisions.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:18 pm

Maidana should rematch Khan. I think he would knock him out second time around.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:23 pm

Broner needs to drop to 140, find a better trainer and apply himself. But I can't see him doing that. Honestly, the way he behaves outside of the ring with the women and partying, he'll always underachieve. But how good was he anyway? Flat footed, no output, an imitation of a great fighter.

Maidana should get Mayweather. There, I said it. He loses and loses easily, but he just beat lil bro maaaaaaaaaaaaaan! Easy fight to sell to the casuals as a revenge, grudge match type. You beat lil bro, here comes big bro, etc.

Now, I don't think Maidana is ppv worthy, but Thurman isn't ready and neither is Garcia.

Give Chino the chance, he won't bottle it like Guerrero or try to beat Floyd at his own game like Canelo, he'll come to batter him for 12 rounds.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:16 pm

hampo171 wrote:Broner needs to go down in weight. While he has the speed he has very little power in his punches, he just couldn't get the respect of Maidana last night. He also needs to stop trying to copy Mayweather, he gets hit far to often and doesn't roll punches properly.

Maidana, the world just opened up for him. A two weight world champion, and he's beaten the next big thing apparently. I'd like to see him go on with Bradley, it's be a great fight and would test Bradleys whiskers again.

Either that or he needs to learn how to defend like Mayweather.

His defense was horrendous.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:16 pm

catchweight wrote:Maidana should rematch Khan. I think he would knock him out second time around.

Khan should fight Maidana to earn his shot at Mayweather.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:20 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:Khan should fight Maidana to earn his shot at Mayweather
He has fought him...and he beat him. No rematch needed yet

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:21 pm

Steffan wrote:
BoxingFan88 wrote:Khan should fight Maidana to earn his shot at Mayweather
He has fought him...and he beat him. No rematch needed yet

Khan gets a rematch against a belt holder in the division he is moving up into.

No brainer if you ask me.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:23 pm

Khan is going after new meat. He doesnt need the Maid

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:04 pm

Who wouldnt want to see a Khan v Maidana rematch? Much better than Khan or Maidana getting whipped by Mayweather.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:17 pm

Im sure Khan is much more interested in a Garcia rematch, if he cant get Flloyd.

would be good to see him rematch Maidana. bUT I don't expect its on Khans to do list

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:07 pm

hampo171 wrote:Broner needs to go down in weight. While he has the speed he has very little power in his punches, he just couldn't get the respect of Maidana last night. He also needs to stop trying to copy Mayweather, he gets hit far to often and doesn't roll punches properly.

Great summary and exactly how I see it.  

He looked much better bullying the little'uns and absorbing their shots when, as you say, he does a poor job of being Floyd and gets caught too much.

Speaking of being evasive, read the other day that Rigo is the most evasive boxer in the world, according to Compubox, with less shots landed on him than any other boxer.  Agbeko averaged 4 per round, for example, which was less than even Valuev did on Haye!!

And before it gets said that Agbeko is 'just a low output fighter', he averaged 28 punches per round landed across his four fights with Mares and Perez (both far from shabby boxers).

Over his last 6 fights (therefore including Donaire), his opponents shot success has averaged only 16%!!!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:49 pm

Maidana looks to have improved his all round boxing skills and now is a much more dangerous fighter we should see him involved in some classics with Bradley, Garcia and Mattysee over the next 2 years. Would like to see him fight Khan again as well and think its likely he get his revenge on Khan by KO next time.
Broner is simply not as good as he was hyped, i thought this before saturday and scored him the loser with both DeLeon and Paulie. I dont think he will ever be the same again, but due to his style will be involved in a few more classics though the top fighters with a high output will all beat him and over the next 2 years his star will fade.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down