The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Broner Maidana

+36
All Time Great
Knowsit17
jimdig
milkyboy
KingMonkey
KC
Valero's Conscience
Seanusarrilius
TheMarvelousOne
BallchinianMuffwig
3fingers
Strongback
Duty281
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
AlexHuckerby
spencerclarke
Herman Jaeger
Hammersmith harrier
Rowley
Volcanicash
Mr Bounce
aja424
Gerry SA
Lance
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Boxtthis
EdWoodjr
John Bloody Wayne
hampo17
ONETWOFOREVER
hazharrison
Steffan
owen10ozzy
bellchees
mobilemaster8
Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake
40 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Broner Maidana Empty Broner Maidana

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Thu 12 Dec 2013, 5:06 pm

Surprised there hasn't been more chat about this weekend's fight between Broner & Maidana. Watching the All Access show and Broner comes across even worse than he normally does. An odious little twerp. I can't help but think his antics outside the ring will catch up with him eventually.

In the meantime how do we see this fight going. Will Broners skill be too much for Maidana's power? I suspect it will as. Points losses to the likes of Alexander and Khan don't give me a lot of hope for Maidana. Another carefully selected opponent for Broner. He's been calling out Manny and that's a fight I'd definitely like to see.

Back to top Go down

Broner Maidana Empty Re: Broner Maidana

Post by mobilemaster8 Thu 12 Dec 2013, 5:40 pm

Good fight. Broner is a Tinkywinky. Eating ice cream?! man sausage.

Want maidana to at least chin check him......but can only see the skill of broner being too much.

Broner via lko or ud.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Thu 12 Dec 2013, 6:00 pm

Not convinced by Broners skill to be honest. Great offensive arsenal in spurts with genuine power and fast hands but he's hardly elusive is he. Got hit plenty at Super Featherweight and Lightweight but everything bounced off him as he generally outweighed opponents by a full stone on fight night. He let Malignaggi and Rees land a lot as well but both have zero stopping power so he didn't pay for it, do that against Maidana and he'll knock your face off.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Thu 12 Dec 2013, 6:10 pm

Agreed, we touched on this weekend on the podcast *plug* and the card in general should be an excellent one. Looking forward to this fight as it's one which will show us whether Broner is actually this star in the making.

I think even with victory he is going to struggle to be a crossover star in the same manner as Mayweather because people regard him as a cheap version of Money. He comes across as more of an ars* clown than Floyd & that's saying something.

I, like you Bellchees, have not been as convinced as some others seem. Good offensively, but most definitely not any kind of defensive genius. Think he is there to be hit; whilst he believes he is elusive he has been caught on plenty of occasions, in my opinion because his boxing brain isn't as good as his natural athletic abilities.

I fancy an upset this weekend & even if Broner wins I think he will have to come through some very tough moments to pick up the win. I think in Maidana they think they have picked a tailor made opponent when in reality i'm not sure he is as one dimensional as they believe.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 12 Dec 2013, 6:36 pm

Broner could get rattled a few times and who knows he may even hit the canvas but I think this fight will go the distance and......Maidana will lose

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 12 Dec 2013, 6:48 pm

Broner should make a mess of him - big question is whether or not he stops Marcos. I don't think he will. Wide UD.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 12 Dec 2013, 7:15 pm

Broner too skillful for Maidana.

Boner wide UD

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Thu 12 Dec 2013, 7:21 pm

Broner got hit, a lot, by Paulie. We don't know how he takes a shot, I suspect that we know after Saturday night.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 12 Dec 2013, 7:25 pm

Styles make fights.

Maidana needs someone to come at him. He is not effective when the philly roll is used. Expect Carlos to eat a lot of lead right hands.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 12 Dec 2013, 7:34 pm

If I were Garcia I'd be training Marcos to fight on the backfoot, using the jab. It might not be his style, but he won't win if he can't adapt. Broner didn't look great against canny backfoot operators Ponce De Leon and Malignaggi.

If Maidana can get Broner's defense to open up a bit on the front foot then he can get his power shots in.

He countered off the backfoot easily enough against Karas, but Broner is on another level entirely in terms of skill.

What channel is this on?

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Thu 12 Dec 2013, 7:37 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:Styles make fights.

Maidana needs someone to come at him. He is not effective when the philly roll is used. Expect Carlos to eat a lot of lead right hands.

Philly Roll? This serves as an example to this 'incredible Mayweather esq' defence Broner supposedly has. I've yet to see anything approaching that kind of level and actually think him continuing to try and mimic Mayweather will end up being his downfall.

Also I'm pretty sure that it's Marcos he is fighting rather than Carlos  Hug 

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 12 Dec 2013, 7:55 pm

owen10ozzy wrote:

Philly Roll? This serves as an example to this 'incredible Mayweather esq' defence Broner supposedly has. I've yet to see anything approaching that kind of level and actually think him continuing to try and mimic Mayweather will end up being his downfall.

I never compared him to Mayweather and I never would because as someone who knows his boxing surely knows Broner mimics more of a James Toney style of boxing.

Mayweather and Broner are opposites. Mayweather is a good offensive fighter with exceptional defensive skills and Broner is a good defensive fighter with exceptional offensive skills. Chalk and cheese.

I think the word your looking for owen is SCHOOOOOOOOOLED.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Thu 12 Dec 2013, 7:58 pm

Just rewatched broner vs paulie and scored it 115-113 to the magic man and thought he was robbed......also....117-111 for broner is Frak Love sacks.

Maidana via EKO

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by EdWoodjr Thu 12 Dec 2013, 8:01 pm

John Bloody Wayne wrote:If I were Garcia I'd be training Marcos to fight on the backfoot, using the jab. It might not be his style, but he won't win if he can't adapt. Broner didn't look great against canny backfoot operators Ponce De Leon and Malignaggi.

If Maidana can get Broner's defense to open up a bit on the front foot then he can get his power shots in.

He countered off the backfoot easily enough against Karas, but Broner is on another level entirely in terms of skill.

What channel is this on?

It's on BoxNation.

EdWoodjr

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 12 Dec 2013, 8:02 pm

Cheers, I owe you one of my grand daughters. It's only fair.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Thu 12 Dec 2013, 8:08 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:
owen10ozzy wrote:

I never compared him to Mayweather and I never would because as someone who knows his boxing surely knows Broner mimics more of a James Toney style of boxing.

Mayweather and Broner are opposites. Mayweather is a good offensive fighter with exceptional defensive skills and Broner is a good defensive fighter with exceptional offensive skills. Chalk and cheese.

It's becoming alarming the amount of face palm moments I see on this board now! As I seem to be saying a lot at the moment 'read ALL what I have wrote before replying'. You have taken one part of what I have said and put into your own context.

I didn't say you specifically did compare him to Mayweather...I stated 'Philly Roll? This serves as an example to this 'incredible Mayweather esq' defence Broner supposedly has'' I merely used your point about the Philly roll to bring about this idea that a lot of 'people in general' seem compare him to Mayweather.

And if you have seen him in his workouts during the all access show then its clear for all to see that they style he is attempting to use is Mayweathers! Go and watch it for yourself!

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 12 Dec 2013, 8:16 pm

owen10ozzy wrote:
ONETWOFOREVER wrote:
owen10ozzy wrote:

It's becoming alarming the amount of face palm moments I see on this board now! As I seem to be saying a lot at the moment 'read ALL what I have wrote before replying'. You have taken one part of what I have said and put into your own context.

I didn't say you specifically did compare him to Mayweather...I stated 'Philly Roll? This serves as an example to this 'incredible Mayweather esq' defence Broner supposedly has'' I merely used your point about the Philly roll to bring about this idea that a lot of 'people in general' seem compare him to Mayweather.

And if you have seen him in his workouts during the all access show then its clear for all to see that they style he is attempting to use is Mayweathers! Go and watch it for yourself!

''How can I reach these kidz''

You are now tying to slither your way out of your mistake owen which does not surprise me. As I have stated Broner's style is the same used by Toney and Archie Moore before him. Its not in the same league as Mayweather. Watch Malignaggi v Broner Broner uses it as a means to launch attacks.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Thu 12 Dec 2013, 8:23 pm

Is it just me or is Broner very stationary and easy to hit? He stands still for long periods, and while he may well be decent at moving his head and stopping opponents landing clean, he's there to be hit to the body. Mallignaggi landed over and over to the body in their fight. If he does the same in front of Maidana then he'll get bludgeoned. That said, he seems to have what it takes to be more elusive, and I'd expect him to improve on that front. Maidana is the sort of fighter that can be outboxed comfortably by a well-schooled technician.

I'm still not sold on Broner. This is a bit of an acid test for him.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Thu 12 Dec 2013, 8:36 pm

Think Maidana is tailor made for Broner but at the same time I think that if Broner fights as flat footed as he did against Malignaggi he'll be in trouble. Maidana is easy to hit and is also easy to hurt, Karass, Lopez, Alexander etc have all hurt him since he came to welter

The broner who beat Demarco has a field day but the broner that fought malignaggi could get stopped

Also did anyone see how fat broner looked a couple weeks back, this kid has nowhere near enough dedication to get even close to what Floyd has achieved

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Thu 12 Dec 2013, 11:35 pm

I think we will see a KO. don't think Broner has the legs or style to outbox him at distance. I do think his hands are too quick for Maidana though. Broner will land twice as much as Maidana, but I think Broner will eat a few too. Could be interesting to see who folds first. Broner should be bigger though, and with his head movement and fast hands I expect him to stop Maidana, in an exciting shoot out. Hopefully im right about it being exciting. Wouldn't shock me if maidana caught him and stopped him, but having seen a slow Morales able to out manoeuvre Maidana up close, I think Broner would have to be hugely overrated to lose this one.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Fri 13 Dec 2013, 12:22 am

Broner's an idiot with a very average skill set.

Daniel Ponce de Leon beat Broner, only to be robbed by the judges. Ponce only really throws left hooks and Broner was clueless.

Paulie, no power, had Broner looking rubbish. And Broner hyped up power was non existent.

If Maidana can land a few bombs, Broner will be out cold.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Fri 13 Dec 2013, 9:44 am

I think Broner possibly took the fight thinking it will turn out to be a mayweather v gatti type scenario. Will be very close and hoping for a maidana win,although likely a points win for broner.

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Fri 13 Dec 2013, 11:05 am

Given the carefully chosen career path Broner has taken, he's been contemptious of his opponents power and has been happy to stand in front of them and take their shots. Beating Paulie to claim the WW belt is no real indication of his capability at WW. Paulie couldn't punch his way out a paper bag. I reckon Maidana will have the power to trouble him and if Broner opts to stand in front of him in the first couple of rounds and takes a clean shot, he may end up on his backside. How he reacts to that will give us a good indication of his true talent.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Fri 13 Dec 2013, 4:32 pm

I appreciate that Broner has a fair few skills but he is not what I would call exceptional. That said, he is certainly an exceptional tool and with his propensity to catch a few smacks in the face I can genuinely see him eating canvas this time round. I want to see him lose.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Volcanicash Fri 13 Dec 2013, 4:58 pm

I smell an upset here, haven't been overly impressed with Broners recent fights, and to me Maidana looks like he's improving. Unless Broner dramatically improves I can see maidana stopping him.

Volcanicash

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 13 Dec 2013, 5:06 pm

Is hard to tell if Broner is easy to hit or just allows his defence to take a bit of a backseat against guys like Rees and Paulie as he knows they do not have too much to trouble him power wise. However if he takes those sort of risks against Marcos you have to think he could be troubled. However still fancy him to win this one, am by no means convinced Broner is as good as he thinks but think he has too much for Marcos who is good value and a tough nights work for anyone but normally finds a way to lose when he steps up in class.

If he can drag Broner into a brawl he could make things interesting but think Broner will be either too smart for that or too far in front by the time it happens.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 13 Dec 2013, 8:10 pm

I do wonder about Maidanas power, he's had to throw the kitchen sink at Karass and Lopez to get rid of them. Both are very durable but being unable to stop an ageing Morales and the chinny Khan does make you wonder.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sat 14 Dec 2013, 5:30 am

Broner's speed probably the difference here. This is the biggest test of his career to date, you couldn't rule out a stoppage either way, but will Maidana be able to land the right hand on a consistent basis? I go with Broner UD.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Sat 14 Dec 2013, 9:52 am

Broner UD for me. He isn't the second coming but I feel Maidana is a little over rated. I think Alexander's loss to Porter puts Maidana's own loss in to a bit more perspective. He was lucky in the Morales fight and the errorts with Khan aint looking too great of late. He a good boxer and a yard stick but not a great one.

All in all not the fight to find Broner out but it should be entertaining.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 14 Dec 2013, 4:43 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:Just rewatched broner vs paulie and scored it 115-113 to the magic man and thought he was robbed......also....117-111 for broner is Frak Love sacks.

Maidana via EKO

Scored it 116 - 112 to Broner, landed far more effective shots in my view.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sat 14 Dec 2013, 4:46 pm

UD or LKO Broner. Maidana wont be able to catch him.

Paulie is still pretty quick so I wouldnt read too much into that fight. Marcos will prob plod forward and eat counter after counter then get blasted as soon as he is rocked a bit.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sat 14 Dec 2013, 5:39 pm

I hope maidana keeps using his improving jab as he looks much beyter when he does

Think it could pan out like Cotto-Floyd with maidana working him when in the corners but hitting mostly arms whereas broner landing the cleaner shots but being out worked

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 14 Dec 2013, 5:58 pm

From what I've seen of Broner, he's been very easy to hit because his defence and movement is rather poor. Alright, you can get away with that when you're fighting Malignaggi and Rees, but not against the big-hitting Maidana.

Maidana late TKO.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sat 14 Dec 2013, 5:59 pm

Heading out tonight so should catch this when I get back home.

Here's the weigh-in just to whet the appetite a bit.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sat 14 Dec 2013, 6:24 pm

Reall Alex? Thought Pauli worked the harder and landed more shots. Just because there was no real Power don't mean they didn't land effectively in my eyes.

If Paulie had power he would be a brilliant fighter IMO.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sat 14 Dec 2013, 6:37 pm

Really hope Broner get's splattered tonight!! Should be a cracking night of action & if Maidana can pull off the upset I'd consider it an early xmas present!

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Sat 14 Dec 2013, 6:52 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote: If Paulie had power he would be a brilliant fighter IMO.
He's an extremely underrated fighter. I've often thought he'd be p4p top 5 should he have power. That said, he'd probably have become a completely different boxer should he have had power to rely on. There's no saying how good you would have been?

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Sat 14 Dec 2013, 8:09 pm

Can't really see past Maidana getting whooped unfortunately

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sat 14 Dec 2013, 8:12 pm

Given that he has a chin to go with it, Paulie probably would've been a brawler if he'd had power. A good one, too.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Sun 15 Dec 2013, 12:31 am

was very disappointed in broners performance against paulie. not quite sure what I expect from him now. maidana is so crude though. if broner is half as good as hes been painted to be he should win this one. at least we know maidana will give It his all, could make it an exciting one

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sun 15 Dec 2013, 12:50 am

mobilemaster8 wrote:Reall Alex? Thought Pauli worked the harder and landed more shots. Just because there was no real Power don't mean they didn't land effectively in my eyes.

If Paulie had power he would be a brilliant fighter IMO.

According to Compubox, Broner landed 40 more shots than Paulie, but threw nearly 300 less over the fight.

I'm hoping Maidana really wobbles Broner, before we can proclaim how good he really is we need to see him come through a crisis. He isn't like Mayweather, he gets tagged far to often to be compared to him.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMarvelousOne Sun 15 Dec 2013, 1:41 am

Anyone just see Shumenov? Looks a bit limited and robotic at times but would have mullered Cleverley had they met as planned a year ago. Hopkins should school him if they do fight.

TheMarvelousOne

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 15 Dec 2013, 3:39 am

I don't know, I've never rated Clev but Shumenov looked extremely rigid and one dimensional. It wouldve been competetive

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 15 Dec 2013, 3:55 am

ha this is jokes, maidana giving broner a tanking in the first 2 dropping him hard

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 15 Dec 2013, 3:59 am

Has Maidana missed his chance?

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 15 Dec 2013, 4:02 am

good 3rd for Broner but the 4th was all maidana, broner just not throwing enough

3-1 to maidana with one being a 10-8

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 15 Dec 2013, 4:23 am

Loving this, broner down in the 8th and hurt dominated in the 9th

Maidana has a healthy lead on my card

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 15 Dec 2013, 4:36 am

Wow what a fight and what a last round, both guys hurt

Maidana MUST have won this though he outworked him in almost every round

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 15 Dec 2013, 4:38 am

Great fight

BRONER CLEAR WINNER

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 15 Dec 2013, 4:40 am

About Bullsh*t

Last edited by ONETWOFOREVER on Sun 15 Dec 2013, 4:41 am; edited 1 time in total

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next