The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HC, Pool 6, Round 4 Gloucester V Edinburgh

+25
Hood83
Tramptastic
BigGee
tigertattie
TJ
BigTrevsbigmac
MacKnocked-on
21st Century Schizoid Man
GLove39
EnglishReign
HongKongCherry
justified sinner
R!skysports
reallybored
HammerofThunor
RuggerRadge2611
VinceWLB
Tattie Scones RRN
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
RDW
jimbopip
George Carlin
funnyExiledScot
IanBru
EWT Spoons
29 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

HC, Pool 6, Round 4 Gloucester V Edinburgh - Page 6 Empty HC, Pool 6, Round 4 Gloucester V Edinburgh

Post by EWT Spoons Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:52 pm

First topic message reminder :

Gloucester V Edinburgh
Sunday 15th December 2013, KO 15:00

Live on Sky Sports (red button and extra - online skygo apparently)

Kingsholm Gloucester

Referee: TBC

Head to Head:

3 Played 3
0 Wins 3
6 Losses 0
0 Draws 0
7 Tries 12
5 Conversions 8
1 Penalties 4
0 Drop Goals 1
48 Points 92

Last edited by EWT Spoons on Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

HC, Pool 6, Round 4 Gloucester V Edinburgh - Page 6 Empty Re: HC, Pool 6, Round 4 Gloucester V Edinburgh

Post by RDW Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:36 pm

Tell you what, this result makes it even more frustrating that we just didn't turn up last week. It sounds like the Gloucester we saw today was more like the one that has been struggling all season, whereas last week we just gave them too many easy opportunities.

Scrum aside, the pack did really well and Du Preez carries on his excellent form. Roddy Grant had the best game I've seen for a long time and Ford put in a really good shift, even with the dodgy throws. I agree with the comments about Nel - he's played 80 minutes of every Edinburgh game this season and there's no way he should start against Leinster in 5 days time. Geoff Cross is an experienced international prop - time to use him!

Backs were surprisingly good considering what we expected form them. We didn't do anything too fancy but they worked well - managed to cause a few overlaps out wide for our wingers and defended well. Cuthbert played well, and has generally played well when he's been at 15! I think it's fair to say he should not be played anywhere else. I also thought Tom Brown was good on the wing - he's got pace and acceleration and is very brave, bordering on reckless with his body! Tonks did fine at 10 and his kicking is brilliant.

It's a shame we've only got 5 days until the Leinster game as it would have been good letting this team build on their win and a proper week of preparation.

We've been here before though - last week we were down and out no hopers, we've not suddenly become world beaters in one game. Need to get some consistency.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

HC, Pool 6, Round 4 Gloucester V Edinburgh - Page 6 Empty Re: HC, Pool 6, Round 4 Gloucester V Edinburgh

Post by RDW Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:25 am

What was also pleasing about the win was the fact that we weren't hanging on for dear life in the last ten minutes, indeed we were pressing for more scores. Had nel managed to hold onto the ball over the line and the ball hadn't toppled over just before kicking the score would have been a lot more pleasing!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:12 pm

I've been making the point about Cuthbert being a fullback only for some time.

Cuthbert - 15.

He's not Christian Cullen, but his skillset is far more suited to 15 than at wing. Brown is more versatile and a better bet on the wing. Has good accelaration and footwork.

Tonks at 10 could work, however I'm slightly tentative moving our best back of the season thus far out of position. If we're going to do it we should do it properly and make the decision to keep him there for the rest of the year. Let's not muck him about.

Great result, and whilst I doubt we'll qualify, let's not take our foot off the pedal. A win at home against Perpignan would be another great result and finishing 2nd in what was a tough group, albeit without qualifying, would still be a fine achievement for this squad.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:43 pm

On Tonks, yes it would be a shame to move our best back but it is very much the lesser of two evils - Tonks at 10 means Cuthbert won't be played on the wing...

And to be fair to Cuthbert, the things that Tonks excels at - High balls and kicks from hand - Cuthbert is pretty good too. We would just miss tonks extra pace coming into the line. We would gain an excellent rugby brain at 10 though with a really good skill set.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:50 pm

Well when Visser returns, Brown goes to the wing and/or Solomons decides to take a look at James Farndale, there will be no need for Cuthbert on the wing either.

I think a decision needs to be made personally. Move him or don't move him. I don't think he'll get the hang of it properly unless he gets a good run of games in that position.

He does have the skillset though, no question. My biggest concern would be over his distribution skills, we haven't really seen those tested under pressure. Am interesting experiment it would be nonetheless, particularly given our lack of options at 10.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:06 pm

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6