The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Play Up Pompey. The Portsmouth 2013 - 14 Thread

+9
kwinigolfer
cherriesfna
BlueCoverman
NickisBHAFC
TopHat24/7
JamesLincs
Good Golly I'm Olly
westisbest
The Fourth Lion
13 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Play Up Pompey.  The Portsmouth 2013 - 14 Thread - Page 3 Empty Play Up Pompey. The Portsmouth 2013 - 14 Thread

Post by The Fourth Lion Fri 08 Nov 2013, 7:15 am

First topic message reminder :

I don't expect this to get much of a response but I feel a Portsmouth FC thread should be available should anybody wish to make a contribution.

Portsmouth were one of the pre-season favourites to win League 2, but so far form has been patchy, and that's being kind.  Last Saturday's performance against Exeter was a case in point.  Cruising to a comprehensive victory, they nearly blew it and were hanging on for a 3 - 2 win at the end.  Typical Pompey, some were muttering.  

But a win is a win, and if we can use that as a springboard for the match at Stevenage tomorrow, then it could be the start of a run that will see them move up the table.  

Any other Mushers out there in 606 land who would like to comment..?

Play Up Pompey.
The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Play Up Pompey.  The Portsmouth 2013 - 14 Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Play Up Pompey. The Portsmouth 2013 - 14 Thread

Post by Nakatomi Plaza Mon 21 Apr 2014, 5:15 pm

NickisBHAFC wrote:Barker would of kept Pompey up, there heading to the confrence now.

Another good win. Credit has to go to the Pompey board in removing Barker and Andy Awford, thus making the above post look even more ridiculous.

Nakatomi Plaza

Back to top Go down

Play Up Pompey.  The Portsmouth 2013 - 14 Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Play Up Pompey. The Portsmouth 2013 - 14 Thread

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 21 Apr 2014, 7:00 pm

Well said NakatomiSan.

The Board's next decision will be almost as important - looking more amd more as if we might see the Glen Johnson dividend so let's build on these last five games and put together a team worthy of the City and the Community.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Tue 22 Apr 2014, 2:16 pm

I'm pleased Portsmouth have improved and pulled away from the drop zone. I would say I look forward to playing them next season but judging by the below that has just been put on our website we may well be heading back down a division.

http://www.afcwimbledon.co.uk/news/article/club-statement-on-points-deduction-1503984.aspx

As for your next manager, I hear David Moyes is looking for a position....
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 22 Apr 2014, 2:34 pm

Hope any penalty wouldn't be that severe, Womble - but incentive to win your last two games and hope you have a ten-point clearance . . . . .

Moyes will be back and do a fine job for a top club. Hope so anyway.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 28 Apr 2014, 6:18 pm

Slap on the wrist for your boys Womble. Didn't expect the "death penalty" but that is powder-puff "justice".

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Mon 28 Apr 2014, 7:48 pm

Yeh we deserved it, it was better than I expected. What I can't understand is, this is the 2nd time in 7 years this has happened. A so called 'admin' error! We are making ourselves look right mugs.

It's embarrassing.
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Thu 01 May 2014, 10:20 am

Portsmouth have appointed Andy Awford as their manager on a permanent basis.

Awford took charge at Fratton Park in March when Richie Barker left the club, and he oversaw a six game unbeaten run that secured the club's Football League survival.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 01 May 2014, 12:33 pm

Great news Fernando - not just an unbeaten run, but 16 pts from 18.

Pity it's just a one-year contract, hope there's room for Awford at Fratton Park if things don't work out. After all the chaos and shenanigans of the past decade it's good to see football men with Pompey in their blood taking charge.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Thu 01 May 2014, 12:52 pm

NickisBHAFC wrote:Barker would of kept Pompey up, there heading to the confrence now.

This looks even crazier now.

I still maintain Barker could have kept Portsmouth up, but Awford has clearly done things differently and deserves the chance on a permanent basis.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Thu 01 May 2014, 3:40 pm

Barker would of easily kept Pompey up.

Full credit to Andy Awford though, he has done a superb job since taking over as Portsmouth manager. Hopefully they can have a big summer and look for promotion next season.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Thu 01 May 2014, 6:36 pm

I've been a bit absent from this thread recently. Can't think why, it's just not been on my radar even though I've been following events at FP closely.

Andy Awford.... where to start..? He's done incredibly well to turn the team's fortunes around, but what has he done that's been different from what Whittingham and Barker were doing..? Well, not much, really.

The actual style of play hasn't changed much. We still play pretty good "keep it on the floor and play it to feet" football under Andy Awford (AA), just as we did under Guy Whittingham (GW) and Richie Barker (RB). The players weren't playing badly under the last two managers, they just weren't scoring any goals.

But AA has, one way or another, instilled a higher level of belief and confidence in the players and it's shown in the results. Perhaps he simply gets on better with them and they are responding with an extra 1 or 2%. It doesn't sound like much but it can make all the difference.

I'm not so sure that RB would have kept us in the football league. Yes, the players were working hard and nobody could accuse them of not having commitment, but the belief was draining away and it showed in the "goals for" column.

I must say that I felt sorrier for GW than I did for RB. It may also sound odd when I say that, in my opinion, GW wasn't given enough time. If he wasn't given long enough, then surely the same applies to RB..? Well, not necessarily so.

RB didn't do anything differently. The same players played and the same style of play took place. The only thing that changed was the man in the dugout and that was key. I think GW had a better rapport with the players and given more time his methods might have gelled under his leadership. I don't think the players ever really believed in RB and perhaps that was the missing 1 or 2% that AA has now put back.

Does all that sound convoluted and confusing..? Perhaps it does, but I know where I'm coming from. It's a gut feeling I've had from watching games. I suppose you have to be there.

OK... that's 2013 / 14 salvaged. What next..? Well, hopefully the team can be strengthened in the close season and we can get away to a good, solid start in August. It may be too much to expect automatic promotion, but to be able to challenge for a play off place would be an improvement and a sign of "planned progression". I'd settle for that, but would the Suits..? There's the rub.

We'll just have to wait and see.
The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 04 May 2014, 11:31 am

Another 18,000 crammed in to Fratton Park Saturday for what looked an exciting game.
It seems any 1M pound bounty from Glen Johnson's transfer might have to wait another year but, with a string of good results and a new manager with some success under his belt, what does the future hold? How long before this all translates in to rehabilitating the club's infrastructure and building on the squad's success since Barker slunk out?

No reason why automatic promotion shouldn't be a realistic goal, but a good off-season and a strong start to 14/15 are crucial - let's ensure the confidence, and the goals, from the past six weeks are built upon to give the fans good reason to believe, don't give them the chance to become impatient.

Would think any 3-year plan would have us at least consolidated in Div 1, hopefully challenging for promotion, all with a healthy balance sheet. Why not??!!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 17 Jun 2014, 3:25 pm

What do people make of Sonny Bradley leaving Fratton Park?
Is he a player we should be holding on to? Hope not as we shouldn't be losing players to Div 1 clubs unless there's a compelling reason so to do.

Home tie vs Peterboro in the League Cup. Good draw I'd say; a good test and hopefully a decent crowd. Be a good litmus test early in the season.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Nakatomi Plaza Tue 17 Jun 2014, 7:35 pm

Bradley had a bit of a chequered relationship with the Pompey fans. he had a bust-up with some fans at an away game towards the end of Barker's reign, and has been a bit of a divisive figure.

Good news looks to be the signing of Craig Westcarr on a free. He scored 19 in league 1 last season, so looks to have the right pedigree for Pompey

Nakatomi Plaza

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 18 Jun 2014, 3:03 am

Thanks Naka, addition by subtraction with Bradley then?
Hadn't seen Westcarr had come to Fratton. Sounds a good signing.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Fri 17 Oct 2014, 2:02 pm

I see Drennan is back for a scond loan spell.

Hope he can help you to league 1.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 24 Nov 2014, 2:33 pm

Good win against Morecambe, so where are we?
Out of all three Cups, more than a third of the way thru the League season and "only" promotion to focus on. Let's hope a single focus helps!
Off to Tranmere now and then Accrington at Fratton followed by a trip to Cheltenham. All winnable, surely? And then Wimbledon at FP for Boxing Day. Time to make some hay.
PUP

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 30 Nov 2014, 1:24 am

OK, Forget Tranmere - the rest are "all winnable, surely?"? Good lord.
PUP for gawd's sake.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 13 Dec 2014, 5:00 pm

OK, Forget Accrington - the rest are "all winnable, surely?"? Good lord.
PUP for gawd's sake.

This is getting Richie Barker-esque, just with more goals.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 14 Dec 2015, 1:21 am

Annual post, apparently.

Goals! Four vs Hartlepool and early match-of-the-season coming up away at Northampton . . . . if they're still around.

Not convinced by Pompey's performances, but goals are a nice habit to have.

PUP

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Thu 17 Dec 2015, 6:28 pm

Four against Hartlepool was good enough for me.  

Chris Burgess won't be available for the game against Northampton but Adam Clarke steps in and Adam Webster returns from injury.  Tubbsy is getting better and who knows, may even be available for Saturday.  One can only hope.

Northampton have done very well to be where they are with all their troubles but this is the sort of challenge that Pompey historically rise to.  I think we'll give them a good game.

Tickets for the Ipswich cup tie are on sale.  I saw the tractor boys on Sky Sports against Charlton a couple of weeks ago and they look like a team of cloggers.  Typical Mick McCarthy side.  Big and strong, fit and uncompromising.   Mind you, Charlton aren't up to much so they weren't too flattered by winning at the Valley.

Can we beat them..?  I hope so. Strongly tempted to go to the match.
The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 19 Dec 2015, 5:26 pm

Super result, now to build on this momentum.
Away to Orient, then two home games before Ipswich.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 19 Jan 2016, 9:55 pm

Cup win against Ipswich. Hopefully the springboard to automatic promotion, starting with a win vs Oxford on Saturday. Then another win vs Bournemouth.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 26 Jan 2016, 4:18 pm

Sorry to read of Ray Pointer's death.
A certifiable star for Burnley but just "workmanlike" when he played for Pompey. Gave his all though, in a sometimes entertaining team.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 07 Nov 2016, 7:34 pm

Bad to worse at Fratton Park - knocked out by Wycombe at home and Paul Cook must be clinging by his fingernails to his job.

Time to make him walk the plank?
Or is there a compelling reason to stick with him and his underperforming outfit??

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 24 Apr 2017, 2:45 pm

Big difference being promoted automatically and not having to plod thru the play-offs.
PFC must use the extra five or six weeks wisely and not get distracted by the possibility of Mickey Mouse investment.

Can't understand why Pompey wouldn't be better off by going to a purely Green Bay Packer model of ownership and be totally community-owned.

Let the billionaire autograph hunters find some other suckers to lead to ruin - haven't we learned our lesson(s)?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 24 Apr 2017, 9:32 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Big difference being promoted automatically and not having to plod thru the play-offs.
PFC must use the extra five or six weeks wisely and not get distracted by the possibility of Mickey Mouse investment.

Can't understand why Pompey wouldn't be better off by going to a purely Green Bay Packer model of ownership and be totally community-owned.

Let the billionaire autograph hunters find some other suckers to lead to ruin - haven't we learned our lesson(s)?

Bit strange Kwini - you get good home crowds so there's decent revenue there to be fan owned. Interesting to keep an eye...congrats on the promotion tho!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:04 pm

Olly,
The only thing with being fan or community owned is, Do they have the financing leverage necessary to redevelop Fratton Park and invest in the playing/coaching infrastructure to challenge for the next level? No doubt the community can support at least a Championship team but whether with this ownership model or not, I just don't know.
What I DO know is that American owners have a shockingly bad track record when it comes to taking ownership of football clubs - they all think it's a franchise, they just don't "get it".

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 31 May 2017, 7:19 pm

Surprised that Cook's done a runner.
Hope the next obituary I read is not "My Mourning Jackett" - apologies to the boys from Kentucky.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3