The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Play Up Pompey. The Portsmouth 2013 - 14 Thread

+9
kwinigolfer
cherriesfna
BlueCoverman
NickisBHAFC
TopHat24/7
JamesLincs
Good Golly I'm Olly
westisbest
The Fourth Lion
13 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Play Up Pompey.  The Portsmouth 2013 - 14 Thread Empty Play Up Pompey. The Portsmouth 2013 - 14 Thread

Post by The Fourth Lion Fri 08 Nov 2013, 7:15 am

I don't expect this to get much of a response but I feel a Portsmouth FC thread should be available should anybody wish to make a contribution.

Portsmouth were one of the pre-season favourites to win League 2, but so far form has been patchy, and that's being kind.  Last Saturday's performance against Exeter was a case in point.  Cruising to a comprehensive victory, they nearly blew it and were hanging on for a 3 - 2 win at the end.  Typical Pompey, some were muttering.  

But a win is a win, and if we can use that as a springboard for the match at Stevenage tomorrow, then it could be the start of a run that will see them move up the table.  

Any other Mushers out there in 606 land who would like to comment..?

Play Up Pompey.
The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Play Up Pompey.  The Portsmouth 2013 - 14 Thread Empty Re: Play Up Pompey. The Portsmouth 2013 - 14 Thread

Post by westisbest Fri 08 Nov 2013, 8:25 am

I tipped Portsmouth to win league 2.

Not doing as well as I thought they would.

David Connelly still there? Was doing pretty well for them.

Been to Fratten Park a few times, while its not the best ground, there is normally a good atmosphere.

Think play offs is where they will end up.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Play Up Pompey.  The Portsmouth 2013 - 14 Thread Empty Re: Play Up Pompey. The Portsmouth 2013 - 14 Thread

Post by The Fourth Lion Fri 08 Nov 2013, 7:33 pm

Yep, Dave Connolly is still at Fratton Park. He's scored four goals so far this season, although he didn't start last Saturday.

The old ground is looking a bit tired, I'll agree, but right now we're just glad to have it and still be playing league football. I'll be happy if we make the play offs this season but of course, automatic promotion would be better
The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Fri 08 Nov 2013, 7:39 pm

Pompey are one of the teams i have seen us play the most.

Fair few times at FP.

Couple of times at VP.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 08 Nov 2013, 9:46 pm

Pompey will always have a place in Norwich history. The day Foxy played that sexual ball to Simeon who sent us into the Premier League. Scenes.

Shame what has happened to you lot Lion.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Sat 09 Nov 2013, 6:47 am

Olly wrote:Pompey will always have a place in Norwich history. The day Foxy played that sexual ball to Simeon who sent us into the Premier League. Scenes.

Would that be Ruel Fox you're talking about..? He was a lot better a player than he was given credit for. He came up through the NCFC youth system, if I remember rightly.

Sorry also to see how Canaries are having a bit of a rough time of it yourselves, Olly. I hope things improve quickly. I like Chris Hughton, he's a decent man who deserves better luck than he's getting.

Yes... Pompey's fall from grace was severe and traumatic for everybody associated with PFC, but now everything is in the hands of the Supporters Trust, at least we know that decisions will be taken with a genuine desire to do what is best for the club. It's good to be out of Administration, at least. The road back will be a long, hard one, but you have to start somewhere, don't you..?

The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Sat 09 Nov 2013, 11:21 am

absolutely hate this big club tag clubs get when they fall away. theyre automatically favourites to win every competition they enter.

every season bradford were favourites to win league 2, but consistently failed. leaving manish, leroy and claridge on the set of the football league show, baffled

"theyve got a big stadium, i just dont understand it"

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 09 Nov 2013, 11:54 am

The Fourth Lion wrote:
Olly wrote:Pompey will always have a place in Norwich history. The day Foxy played that sexual ball to Simeon who sent us into the Premier League. Scenes.

Would that be Ruel Fox you're talking about..?  He was a lot better a player than he was given credit for.  He came up through the NCFC youth system, if I remember rightly.

Sorry also to see how Canaries are having a bit of a rough time of it yourselves, Olly.  I hope things improve quickly.  I like Chris Hughton, he's a decent man who deserves better luck than he's getting.

Yes... Pompey's fall from grace was severe and traumatic for everybody associated with PFC, but now everything is in the hands of the Supporters Trust, at least we know that decisions will be taken with a genuine desire to do what is best for the club.  It's good to be out of Administration, at least.  The road back will be a long, hard one, but you have to start somewhere, don't you..?

Hey we nearly went bust in League 1, and look where we are now. Just needs to right man, at the right time, and you can shoot up through the leagues. Hopefully you find that man thumbsup 
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Sat 09 Nov 2013, 12:08 pm

JamesLincs wrote:absolutely hate this big club tag clubs get when they fall away. theyre automatically favourites to win every competition they enter.

every season bradford were favourites to win league 2, but consistently failed. leaving manish, leroy and claridge on the set of the football league show, baffled

"theyve got a big stadium, i just dont understand it"

I quite agree your sentiments, James, but that's just TV talk for you.

Any gung-ho that Pompey fans had when we got relegated from the Prem has been well knocked out of us by events over the last couple of years. We're just glad to still have a club to support and regardless of what pundits or armchair managers say, if "steady-as-she-goes" is what it takes to get back up the leagues, then that's what we'll settle for.

It's FA Cup day today, and a trip to Stevenage which will be a tricky tie. Hopefully we can get a little cup run going and use that as a confidence boost and springboard.
The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Sat 09 Nov 2013, 12:11 pm

Olly wrote:
The Fourth Lion wrote:

Would that be Ruel Fox you're talking about..?  He was a lot better a player than he was given credit for.  He came up through the NCFC youth system, if I remember rightly.

Sorry also to see how Canaries are having a bit of a rough time of it yourselves, Olly.  I hope things improve quickly.  I like Chris Hughton, he's a decent man who deserves better luck than he's getting.

Yes... Pompey's fall from grace was severe and traumatic for everybody associated with PFC, but now everything is in the hands of the Supporters Trust, at least we know that decisions will be taken with a genuine desire to do what is best for the club.  It's good to be out of Administration, at least.  The road back will be a long, hard one, but you have to start somewhere, don't you..?

Hey we nearly went bust in League 1, and look where we are now. Just needs to right man, at the right time, and you can shoot up through the leagues. Hopefully you find that man thumbsup 
Thanks for the kind words, Olly. I generally find that fans of clubs who have known difficult times themselves are the most empathetic and of course, we would all wish you well in your own mission to climb up the table.

Who knows.... If we can get past Stevenage today, and get through round 2, we may meet in round 3 of the cup. Game on then, eh..?

Good luck against West Ham today. Three points would do very nicely, methinks.

The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 09 Nov 2013, 5:06 pm

Just reentered the World after being in a time warp since first game at Fratton Park:
Uprichard, McGee, Mansell, JPhillips, Gunter, Dickinson, Harris, Gordon, Henderson, Barnard, Dale.
Pompey (Harris 2, Dale 2, Henderson) 5 vs Arsenal (Tapscott 2) 2

Excuse me: What is "Stevenage"?

PUP

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 10 Nov 2013, 12:02 pm

So:
Defeat by Stevenage and only chance of a big payday this season is in the Johnstone Paints - are the boys saving thenselves for Newport, or for the League?

From 3,000 miles away it seems we had stronger runs the past 2 or 3 years in the Champo and Div 1, from the depths and despair of administration and malfeasance.
Surprising that, with some financial security and management stability, we've been so inconsistent this season. What is missing? Quality or character?

PUP

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 11 Nov 2013, 4:24 pm

Pre-season favourites? Well Oxford did a pretty good job of dispelling that on the opening day by battering them at Fratton Park. YELLOWS, YELLOWS, YELLOWS!!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Fri 15 Nov 2013, 5:30 am

kwinigolfer wrote:So:
Defeat by Stevenage and only chance of a big payday this season is in the Johnstone Paints - are the boys saving thenselves for Newport, or for the League?

From 3,000 miles away it seems we had stronger runs the past 2 or 3 years in the Champo and Div 1, from the depths and despair of administration and malfeasance.
Surprising that, with some financial security and management stability, we've been so inconsistent this season. What is missing? Quality or character?

PUP
You hit the nail on the head..... stability.

Guy Whittingham can now start to settle down and build a team, rather than put the first eleven people to turn up on Saturday with their boots. It's led to a change in emphasis from the "backs to the wall" scrap and battle for everything which yielded some good results from time to time but was never enough, to let's start to build from the bottom upwards. It creates a different kind of mindset in the players.

To be honest, the football itself isn't bad. The boys are playing generally good football, and Whittingham is trying out different teams... combinations... formations... tactics. He doesn't really know what his best XI is yet or how to utilise the players at his disposal.

The newspaper talk... and it was only newspaper talk.... about Pompey being favourites to be champions this season, was premature and ill informed. Nobody at Fratton Park was saying it. We're far too realistic for that.

I reckon it could take another couple of seasons of tinkering and getting a settled, consistent team together before we can start to think of an upward trend again.

I am optimistic for the future and reckon we can get, at least, back to the Championship. Back to the Premiership..? Doubtful unless something totally unexpected happens..... and it would have to be a pretty spectacular something totally unexpected.

Anyway.... nice to see another musher on here. I'll try to keep this page updated as much as possible with news and events for you.

PUP....PPU.

The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 18 Nov 2013, 7:38 pm

Thanks Fourth Lion,

Another desperately disappointing result on Saturday and Whittingham's post-game remarks made it sound as if he's somewhat despairing.

I hope he's given the chance to do it his way and get results, but this is a very poor run of form and hope just as much that he has the strategy to justify the faith that is being invested in him.

Lots of ex-Pompey youngsters around the League nowadays, but is the cupboard now bare?

Four home games out of the coming five; Scunners on Saturday and hopefully an opportunity to get some points, put together a nice little run and start to climb the table.

I appreciate that hopes for this year were over-optimistic, but League 2 is no place to be . . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Tue 19 Nov 2013, 10:46 pm

I nearly mis-read your comments above and thought  "Eh...? we're not playing Southampton on Saturday".  Naughty me. Doh

We have, actually, drawn Southampton in the third round of the youth cup.  Not sure when the match will be played, but ties must be completed by December 21.  This will be a useful test for the youngsters, against a club that has a very progressive youth policy.

Scunny on Saturday, and Southend next Tuesday.  We need to win at least on of those games.  Shrimpers are up in the play off places at the moment but they've lost three times on the road this season so the gap between the two teams may not be as wide as the league table suggest.    

It will be interesting to see what team Whittingham puts out on Saturday.  I agree that he is beginning to sound a bit weary of having to make the same sort of post match comments every week, but he just has to stick at it.  Rome wasn't built in a day.

And I agree also.... League 2 is not the place we want to be.
The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 20 Nov 2013, 5:17 pm

Let's hope the Brian Laws dismissal has a negative impact on Scunny.
And hopefully Dan Potts will play - he looked quite promising for WHU last season until he was injured.

PUP

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Wed 20 Nov 2013, 6:11 pm

Hows Marcos Painter getting on Kwinigolfer? I thought he would boss league 2

Also i remember my visit to Fratton Park, cracking away game. very close to the Portsmouth fans, last minute you lot missed a penalty and well the rest you can work out!

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 20 Nov 2013, 6:18 pm

Nick,
Sorry, Can't help you.
Am Chairman, President, CEO, chief bottle washer and probably only member of the Vermont Branch of the Pompey Fan Club, but 3,000 miles separates me from anything other than sporadic attendance.

Usually a great atmosphere at FP though, glad you enjoyed yr visit.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Thu 21 Nov 2013, 6:06 am

Keep up the good work, Kwini. We need all the bottle washers we can get. Very Happy 

It's damned cold here right now.... not as cold as I imagine it gets in Vermont, but if it stays this way we may be in need of some of that Canadian expertise in ice hockey to stay on our feet come Saturday.

The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 21 Nov 2013, 12:37 pm

thumbsup Lion,
Just south of the Canadian border and my other winter love, the Montreal Canadiens.
High this Sunday forecast to be 23F degrees, think that's -6 or -7 in new money. So long as the sun shines . . . . ! 21F right now and a glorious sunrise.

And let's hope Pompey's sun starts rising in just over 48 hours - whaddya think ot Potts coming in? Anything to bolster the defence must be welcome, I'd've thought.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 23 Nov 2013, 11:16 pm

From bad to worse.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 25 Nov 2013, 5:33 pm

And now Guy Whittingham pays with his job, Andy Awford takes the hot seat.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Mon 25 Nov 2013, 5:49 pm

I know Portsmouth fans have been wanting him to go for a while. Results have been shocking and they are 6 points from the relegation zone.

It isn't a bad job to advertise now, financial problems seem to be over, there's quite a bit of a buzz around the ground now its fan owned. If results are going well they could look at selling out most games. Be interesting to see who takes over.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Wed 27 Nov 2013, 12:13 am

Another disappointing night for Portsmouth Kwini, after a great start with a goal inside 2 minutes. With Southend having a man sent off the Pompey fans must have thought that it was 3 points in the bag, but 2 goals in the second half for the visitors resulted in a defeat and a few boos from the home crowd at the final whistle.

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 27 Nov 2013, 1:43 pm

Saw that Blue,
It's all getting a bit pathetic, not sure that there's a happy ending in sight.
And not sure who they'll get in to turn it around.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Wed 27 Nov 2013, 2:21 pm

It was a poor performance last night. Yes, the early goal did lift spirits but it was pretty much downhill from there.

The decision to sack Guy Whittingham was a bit of a knee jerk reaction to results and in my opinion it wasn't really the best move. Whittingham was trying to find the best combinations available to him and to sack him now merely means that any progress that might have borne fruit in the coming weeks is now lost and the new incumbent, whoever that may turn out to be, has to start from scratch all over again.

A short sighted, not-clearly-thought-through, knee-jerk act.

The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Wed 27 Nov 2013, 6:20 pm

Richie Barker to be the new man perhaps?

Dismissed by Crawley Town today, Barker has previously worked alongside Pompey chief executive Mark Catlin.

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Wed 27 Nov 2013, 6:30 pm

Would be a great appointment.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Thu 28 Nov 2013, 9:11 am

NickisBHAFC wrote:Would be a great appointment.
If it happens, can I quote you on that in May..?
The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Thu 28 Nov 2013, 3:05 pm

Indeed.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 30 Nov 2013, 8:04 pm

Walk On The Wild(er) Side.
Is that the answer?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Sun 01 Dec 2013, 1:39 pm

Being a nueteral in Pompey was interesting.

Especialy as AFCBs rise co-incided with pompeys fall, been thru the same thing and it's horrible , although a fair amount of Karma was applied during this spell, hope u guys recover

Also Herminator and Jamo have applied to be joint managers lol
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Sun 01 Dec 2013, 9:03 pm

NickisBHAFC wrote:Indeed.
Diary duly noted. <smile>
The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Sun 01 Dec 2013, 9:27 pm

cherriesfna wrote:Being a nueteral in Pompey was interesting.

Especialy as AFCBs rise co-incided with pompeys fall, been thru the same thing and it's horrible , although a fair amount of Karma was applied during this spell, hope u guys recover

Also Herminator and Jamo have applied to be joint managers lol
It seems our clubs have two things in common, Cherries.....  Harry Redknapp and near bankruptcy, although I'm aware that your financial difficulties began many years after he left you for West Ham.  

Can I ask... Do Bournemouth still recognise any connection to Boscombe at all.?  For many years, as I recall, the club was called Bournemouth & Boscombe Athletic and I never quite understood how or why the name change to the somewhat continental style AFC Bournemouth came about.  Was there new ownership or was it just a random rebranding exercise..?  

Anyway, it was good that Pompey got a valuable point up at Hartlepool on Saturday.  Jeff Stelling didn't seem too impressed.   I suppose it is the nature of struggling clubs who appoint a caretaker manager, that the first thing he does is make sure the rot is stopped by 'parking the bus'.  It's not pretty football, but in order to start a recovery you must first halt the downward spiral.  

Wycombe come to Fratton Park on Wednesday and as they are only one place above us in the league, it is a bit of a six pointer.  This is the re-run of the match that was abandoned in October due to torrential rain.  The score was 1 - 1 when the ref called the players off and to be honest, the scoreline flattered Pompey.  I won't be able to make it to the game, so I'll just have to hope I'm reading about a home win in the paper on Thursday morning.

Play Up Pompey.  The Portsmouth 2013 - 14 Thread A-uhkOgCUAEjgjs
The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Tue 10 Dec 2013, 9:31 am

Well, it's been an interesting week, to say the least.

The appointment of Richie Barker as manager, with Steve Coppell as Director of Football. Steve says "It's going to be an interesting journey"

He doesn't know the half of it yet.  Shocked

Sam Sodje has been arrested after being filmed by undercover journos investigating match fixing

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/football-match-fixing-sam-sodje-2906283

We got a 2 - 2 draw against Wycombe last week, but it felt like a defeat after giving away the equaliser for Wycombe in the 95th minute.

Well, the optimist in me says that sooner or later this has to turn around. It can't go on forever.

Saturday would be a good day to start.

The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 10 Dec 2013, 12:29 pm

Would be an ironic win on Sunday after Pompey were allegedly sniffing around Justin Edinburgh . . . . . .
PUP

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 16 Dec 2013, 7:24 pm

"Four home games out of the coming five; put together a nice little run and start to climb the table."
Yes, well, didn't turn out quite like that, did it? Two points not what any doctor would have ordered, perhaps ten pts less than we might have hoped for.

Playing Newport on Saturday reminds me that Harry Harris wouldn't have tolerated these limp-wristed performances, and neither should we. If he can't come out of retirementat the age of 80 to stiffen some resolve, Barker needs to find someone who can.

Only four points away from the gallows now, leadership urgently required.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Fri 10 Jan 2014, 3:00 pm

Richie Barker has said in The News that he feels Pompey's striking options have been bolstered by the arrival of free agents Jake Jervis and Ryan Taylor. We've also picked up Nicky Shorey from Bristol City on a Bosman.

I hope this is the case. Agyemang has scored only once in the last dozen games and Connolly and Bird haven't netted since November.

Barker remains upbeat and that has to be a good thing. If the manager starts to look worried, it soon transmits itself to the team.

We have only one home game in the next four, against Mansfield next Saturday. With every game taking on increased importance, it really is getting to a point where the qualities of Barker's leadership and tactical nous.... the very reasons we were told he was appointed...... have to start to convert into points.

Oxford United tomorrow.... and we all know the slap they gave us on the opening day of the season. I'd like to think the team are travelling with payback on their minds.

PUP

The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 12 Jan 2014, 5:54 pm

Sounds like a dour performance yesterday, at Oxford. Amazing with all those bookings that they kept eleven players on the field.

Five of next eight (after Oxford) are away - showing how crucial home games are. Sorry Mansfield.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Mon 13 Jan 2014, 6:08 pm

The Oxford game wasn't a good 'un, but it's a point. If you'd offered Richie Barker that before kick off he'd have snatched your hand off.

Seven yellow cards... five of them to Pompey players, but I don't think any of those players are in danger of imminent suspension.

20th place in the table at the moment looks better than it really is. We're only one point ahead of Torquay, who are in the drop zone.

The point is welcome, but it was a dour match and in truth, it doesn't bode well for the future. The lads are digging in and scrapping, and ok, that has to be welcomed and it might be enough to keep us safe from relegation to the Conference, but it isn't..... can't be..... the way forward.
The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Sat 25 Jan 2014, 5:09 pm

A very useful point away at Morecambe this afternoon.. Very Happy 

Simon Ferry and Ricky Holmes didn't play due to injury, Danny East had a dodgy ankle and Ben Chorley was suspended so a weakened Pompey toughed out a hard fought draw with two Jake Jervis goals, one in each half.

If I'm being picky, I suppose it was a case of Pompey taking the lead twice and conceding equalisers but they're saying on the radio that the team played well and were good value for the point... should even have won. 

A vastly improved performance from last week.   Keep it up, lads.

Torquay lost at Oxford, Northampton  lost at home to Chesterfield and Bury's game with Accrington was postponed so that makes this point even better.
The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 26 Jan 2014, 3:26 am

The good news:
3-game unbeaten streak.
The bad news:
Just one win in 3 months.
Crucial 6-pointer next week.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Sun 26 Jan 2014, 4:37 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:The good news:
3-game unbeaten streak.
The bad news:
Just one win in 3 months.
Crucial 6-pointer next week.

Almost every game is a six pointer now, mate.
The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 29 Jan 2014, 1:44 pm

Fair enough; so another six points taken care of Tuesday evening then. Sounds as if it was a wee bit fortunate but no complaints here.

This weekend's game just as crucial, then another away win and we'll be mid-table.
But still a dozen points away from the Play-Offs which must have been the minimum objective back in August. Before the first game thumping anyway.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Wed 29 Jan 2014, 6:24 pm

Yep, well chuffed with the result from Wycombe last night. 

A much healthier position in the league table (18th), although still room for improvement, and a more reassuring 6 point difference between us and Torquay down in 23rd.

Coincidentally, Torquay are next up at Fratton Park on Saturday.  Accrington, who are on the same number of points as us will be entertaining Morecambe, who are not far off the play off places, so have something to play for.

Another three points would be very welcome on Saturday.
The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 02 Feb 2014, 2:16 am

A month's worth of good work thrown down the drain today. Three tough away games in the next few weeks so home wins increasingly crucial.
PUP

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Mon 03 Feb 2014, 7:09 pm

It's difficult to find anything good to say about Saturday's performance. To be honest, this team is as likely to take points away from home as at FP. From now until the end of the season it's going to have to be "one match at a time" and bust a gut to try to get something out of every game.

On the plus side, the women's team won 17 - 0 yesterday.

The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Mon 03 Feb 2014, 7:55 pm

NickisBHAFC wrote:
The Fourth Lion wrote:
Indeed.

As a fan who's seen Barker at work over the last 18 months, it's absolutely no surprise how he hasn't turned Portsmouth around. Very little in terms of management, hence Coppell. Barker is a coach, a decent one, but some coaches aren't managers and Barker showed that at Crawley. Still not sure he should have been sacked by us, hadn't done too much wrong, but the goals dried up and his 4-5-1 system doesn't really work when you're at home to poor teams.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Wed 05 Feb 2014, 6:26 am

Marky wrote:
NickisBHAFC wrote:
The Fourth Lion wrote:
Indeed.

As a fan who's seen Barker at work over the last 18 months, it's absolutely no surprise how he hasn't turned Portsmouth around. Very little in terms of management, hence Coppell. Barker is a coach, a decent one, but some coaches aren't managers and Barker showed that at Crawley. Still not sure he should have been sacked by us, hadn't done too much wrong, but the goals dried up and his 4-5-1 system doesn't really work when you're at home to poor teams.

Thanks for that, Marky.  

I have no knowledge of Barker as a coach before he came to Portsmouth so your experience is very worthwhile input.  

He made a lot of very positive noises when he joined, which was to be expected, and I thought there would be some distinct changes from the way we were playing under Whittingham, but that doesn't seem to be the case.  Rather, it seems to be pretty much the same.  If nothing is changing on the pitch, then why didn't we simply stay with Whittingham..?

There may be some sort of subtle plan of which we mere terrace proles have no understanding, but whatever that may be, it's benefits are at best patchy and at worst, very worrying indeed.

Every time Pompey play, I hope that that match is going to be the one where it all clicks into place and we say "What were we ever worried about..?"   Unfortunately, with the exception of one or two glimpses, it hasn't happened.

We aren't at the point of no return yet, and there is still time.  I just hope it starts to come together sooner rather than later.
The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next