The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

my view on TNAs problems

4 posters

Go down

my view on TNAs problems Empty my view on TNAs problems

Post by talkingpoint Sat 26 Oct 2013, 1:40 am

Firstly, I know its been a long time since I was around and I would not be surprised if people have totally forgotten me. I lost interest in wrestling around Mania time and drifted from the IWC. However, I kept one eye on TNA as I still wanted the company to do well. For the past couple of years TNA had been growing in strength and yet 2013 has been very underwhelming and unsuccessful for the company. At first I thought reducing their PPV schedule to 4 was bold and would result in better long term planning and PPV quality. This year`s Bound for Glory however, from all reports has been subpar and bitterly disappointing considering how long they`ve had to plan it. I`ve also been disappointed (not with the company so much) as with the low fan attendance at live shows, resulting in an imminent return to the impact zone. It seems TNA`s 11 year struggle to draw crowds and PPV buyrates is still a major issue and roadblock to the company`s future success.

So I`ve been scratching my head and trying to think of why - I`ve been reading some of your thoughts also and agree with many of them. The lack of feuds has hindered the product and the seemingly illogical use of talent such as Bad Influence, as well as the anticlimax that has been Aces & 8s and the suffocating presence of Hogan and now Dixie Carter too. But for me I think the thing that holds TNA back the most is its lack of PG rating. I know that may come as a surprise to some - after all many people have complained over recent years of WWE`s PG rating. But I think that is the single greatest problem TNA face if they want the company to grow and progress commercially and financially. Let me explain...

TNA`s product this year has had a considerably "mature" adult content - Bully Ray`s heel turn as leader of Aces & 8s and the many No DQ matches he`s had, wrestlers being assaulted with hammers, the whole Aces & 8s concept of the club house, with beer drinking and hiring prostitutes. Not to mention the language permitted in promos, especially by Bully Ray. It seems TNA thought they could exploit a niche in the market and draw back jaded and disillusioned wrestling fans who fell out of love with wrestling because of WWE`s PG direction. But that is exactly what the more mature adult content is - a niche market. ECW earned its cult status for deliberately being anti-mainstream and hardcore. ROH understands this too and as long as the company works under its current paradigm of realism and intensity it will never grow to rival the WWE. However, it seems TNA haven`t faced up to this realization yet. Being anti-PG may have seemed cool in the attitude era, but ultimately it is not sustainable. The rise of the UFC and the popularity of MMA, and the history of the WCW and ECW should alert TNA to the fact that they will never sell out arenas or draw massive crowds comparable to the WWE by following an anti-PG creative direction.

PG makes sense - TNA may reject WWE`s emphasis on entertainment but that`s what the wrestling industry is - entertainment. It is not a competitive sport, the matches are predetermined and spots are carefully placed within matches for entertainment purposes. Gimmick matches and promos are also important aspects of wrestling`s entertainment factor. If TNA try to make their product too edgy they run the risk of ironically being labelled as pathetic, because people know wrestling "isn`t real". The UFC in way try to sell their product as adult and mature with their hype machine i.e. the heavyweight champion is the "Baddest man on the planet", (not that I buy into that either) but at least they have some credibility as it is a real combat sport and the heavyweight champion is a genuinely skilled fighter.

Another reason why being anti-PG is bad for business is that it alienates a younger audience and families who provide much needed revenue. Kids love wrestling because they have very active imaginations and find it harder to distinguish reality from fantasy. They also are the target market for a lot of merchandise, in particular toys, stationary etc. and clothing. Kids also need their parents with them to attend live shows, so naturally if you have a PG product you`ll attract families to your shows, which doubles the ticket sales as the parents have to go too.

Personally, I think TNA need to switch their product and creative direction to a PG rated demographic. They need to tap into the kids market and be more family friendly. This won`t solve all their problems but it will make a major difference in my opinion to ratings and ticket sales, not to mention merchandise sales. If Magnus is meant to be a future world champion, I think he would be the perfect candidate for a John Cena like babyface of the company - he`s got the physique and moveset to be a credible heavyweight champion and he`s got the good looks and the rub from being in the Main Event Mafia to be the poster boy of the company. Put him in a feud with Bully Ray and make sure the good guy wins and saves the day so that kids will invest in him.

If TNA aren`t prepared to do this then they need to come to terms with the fact that they will always be a niche product and should adjust their commercial and financial projections accordingly. If they`re happy to be a smaller wrestling company that appeals to a small adult demographic then fine, but TNA seem to have very large aspirations and I don`t think being anti-PG is helping them fulfil those aspirations.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

my view on TNAs problems Empty Re: my view on TNAs problems

Post by Kay Fabe Sat 26 Oct 2013, 12:17 pm

The whole 'niche' market is a mystery to me, the majority of TNA fans I've spoke to on forums talk about the quality of Wrestlers and the Wrestling in general in TNA, not very often do guys who I consider good value for TNA debate go back to the adult themed stories as a reason to watch, even on thia board, guys like Adam and yourself speak more glowingly about the quality of Wrestler and match than the language and general content.

There is many fans I've seen that use the so called mature theme as reasoning to Champn TNA but in my opinion that type of opinion appears to be the minority opinion from TNA fans, but I also think its a theme running through the company, do they truly understand what their majority fanbase wants?

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by crippledtart Sat 26 Oct 2013, 7:46 pm

Having a more adult product does not in and of itself make the show good or bad, or indeed affect viewership.

It can enhance a product to have that creative licence, but a rubbish movie or song or sitcom or book is still rubbish if it's got swearing in it, and wrestling is no different.

It's an interesting theory that appealing to children equals twice as many viewers, and I'm sure there is some truth to that, but I don't think it needs to be aimed at children per se. All of the things that would alienate children such as vulgarity, swearing and extreme violence are just as likely to alienate adults, in all truth. I just don't think people want to watch a wrestling show that makes them feel a bit grubby afterwards.

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 26 Oct 2013, 7:52 pm

I only think the adult thing is brought up during arguments. It becomes more of an insult to wwe than a plus point to TNA.

I don't think they fill a niche. The niche their fans want them to fill is one better served by ROH.

I have watched TNA for over a year now and it's deteriorated to the point where I don't think they do any single aspect better than wwe. They once did. They had the X Division which pretty much became a graveyard of talent when I started watching. The tag teams have been killed. Finally, they have even lost any semblance of decent women's wrestling.

I don't think that's even a personal opinion thing. Their notable areas of strength highlighted to me as I first considered watching TNA were the tags and the x division. I don't think TNA fans would deny that those areas are nowhere near as strong as they once were.

There are some very talented wrestlers on their roster. But thu mismanage them

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Sun 27 Oct 2013, 1:29 am

crippledtart wrote:Having a more adult product does not in and of itself make the show good or bad, or indeed affect viewership.

It can enhance a product to have that creative licence, but a rubbish movie or song or sitcom or book is still rubbish if it's got swearing in it, and wrestling is no different.

It's an interesting theory that appealing to children equals twice as many viewers, and I'm sure there is some truth to that, but I don't think it needs to be aimed at children per se. All of the things that would alienate children such as vulgarity, swearing and extreme violence are just as likely to alienate adults, in all truth. I just don't think people want to watch a wrestling show that makes them feel a bit grubby afterwards.
agreed; I don`t think TNA should solely aim their product at children, just be more family friendly to tap into that market. Look at the all the masks, sweatbands, caps and t-shirts Rey Mysterio and John Cena have sold in the WWE. Kids want to dress like their heroes. I think TNA are missing a trick here. I`d like to know who is the biggest merchandise seller in TNA; Jeff Hardy? Sting? AJ Styles? Kurt Angle? I can`t imagine its all that impressive, whoever it is.

As I said, I don`t think going PG will solve all their problems - they need to go back to basics of logical booking, satisfying conclusions and payoffs to storylines and getting the most out of the roster in their PPV matches. Personally it seems like TNA are constantly trying to re-invent the wheel. I don`t think this 24/7 idea is necessary at all. Yes digital media is important in the modern world, but I don`t think you should sacrifice live shows for expanding the digital content of your product. I understand TNA aren`t drawing crowds but that`s because the content of their shows is alienating many viewers and their booking is woeful. There are too many authority figures on TV, too little investment in the different divisions and too little long term planning.

If the product were PG then you can focus on the booking problems while appealing to a younger market and reap the benefits that they bring, namely merchandise sales and ticket sales. Create a posterboy, bring back a true babyface who kids will invest in and market him to your demographic.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down