The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+30
golfermartin
Y I Man
barragan
puligny
SpacemanSpiff
dynamark
incontinentia
navyblueshorts
Roller_Coaster
Bob_the_Job
raycastleunited
hend085
Shotrock
Plunky
gaelgowfer
kwinigolfer
Davie
1GrumpyGolfer
SmithersJones
goldwolf
MontysMerkin
westisbest
pedro
super_realist
McLaren
beninho
BlueCoverman
mystiroakey
MustPuttBetter
JAS
34 posters

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 2 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by JAS Thu 26 Sep 2013, 8:41 pm

First topic message reminder :

super_realist wrote:Well done Jas, I've done it a few times and have applied too. Not heard back yet though.
I did it in 2008 Super and was disappointed not to break 4 hours (I ran Glasgow 3 times in the mid 80s with a PB of 2.52) Huge difference in running marathons from early to mid 20's and late 40's/early 50's though. I said in 2008 that I had one more left and it WOULD be sub 4 hours!! I've applied 3 times without success since but I'm in this time.

BlueCoverman wrote:Nice one JAS...trust all that training won't interfere with the golf schedule too much!
In reality and coupled with the Captaincy it probably will knock my game backwards a bit. C'est la vie :-/. Ideally the day I'd want to be doing my last long training run is the day of the Captains drive in.

kwinigolfer wrote:Didn't Kirkygolfer run in it - think some of us helped him raise money?
I'm sure somebody from the boards did Kwini, cant remember the name though.

Last edited by JAS on Thu 26 Sep 2013, 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

JAS

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by JAS Fri 27 Sep 2013, 1:19 pm

SmithersJones wrote:
McLaren wrote:I find Hitchens way to right wing in most of his views.  Don't mind when he tackles religion but his opinions on the War in Iraq and women are best kept to himself.
OMFG, I can't believe Super's let you get away with that. He means Christopher Hitchens, not that weasel Kumquat Poopie Frak proof-there's-no-god-otherwise-he'd-have-died-not-his-genius-brother bumhole Peter Hitchens.
Laugh Laugh Say it like it is SJ!!

I'm sure I saw a clip on youtube of a question time episode that both were on at the same time. Quite diverse for brothers I'd say!!

JAS

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Fri 27 Sep 2013, 1:23 pm

westisbest wrote:
super_realist wrote:
pedro wrote:Uncle Adolf and Uncle Josef did not live in vain then. Hail.
What's that got to do with anything?

Of course West, you can believe the moon is made of cheese if you like, but if you assert it is true or that you know it to be true, then you don't deserve any respect for your beliefs?

Who said i was asking for respect.
Good, because you don't get any if you hold beliefs with no evidence, sense, proof or logic to back them up.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Fri 27 Sep 2013, 1:27 pm

From you.

You dont mean anything to me so I wont worry.

I respect people who do hold beliefs.

It's all good.

Yeaaah baby.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Fri 27 Sep 2013, 1:29 pm

Does SR remind anyone else on here of Adrian Durham?

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Fri 27 Sep 2013, 1:32 pm

JAS wrote:
SmithersJones wrote:
McLaren wrote:I find Hitchens way to right wing in most of his views.  Don't mind when he tackles religion but his opinions on the War in Iraq and women are best kept to himself.
OMFG, I can't believe Super's let you get away with that. He means Christopher Hitchens, not that weasel Kumquat Poopie Frak proof-there's-no-god-otherwise-he'd-have-died-not-his-genius-brother bumhole Peter Hitchens.
Laugh Laugh  Say it like it is SJ!!

I'm sure I saw a clip on youtube of a question time episode that both were on at the same time. Quite diverse for brothers I'd say!!
That's an understatement if ever I saw one. Clearly living in the shadow of his brother embittered Peter to a quite pitiable extent.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 27 Sep 2013, 1:33 pm

I respect people who require the things they believe in to be demonstrably true or where the evidence available makes the belief the most reasonable explanation, not those who believe in something because it's either convenient to do so or they just like them.

Imagine we applied that "logic" to every day life.

"I pronounce you guilty of murder"
"On what evidence?"
"None, I just believe you are, because there's a gap to fill in"

How could you respect that?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Fri 27 Sep 2013, 1:35 pm

McLaren wrote:
goldwolf wrote:Is that forum that the other guys went to still going on? Just seeing drive4shows name in this thread made me think?
I think it turned out to be more of a UKIP think tank than a golf forum.
And you know this by???

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 27 Sep 2013, 1:36 pm

why does everything need to have evidence, sense or logic? If everyone thought that, how dull would people be? Probably as dull as scientists and there boring geeky stuff.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri 27 Sep 2013, 1:37 pm

McLaren wrote:
goldwolf wrote:Is that forum that the other guys went to still going on? Just seeing drive4shows name in this thread made me think?
I think it turned out to be more of a UKIP think tank than a golf forum.
What the hell?? Rolling Eyes 

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 27 Sep 2013, 1:38 pm

beninho wrote:why does everything need to have evidence, sense or logic? If everyone thought that, how dull would people be? Probably as dull as scientists and there boring geeky stuff.
Why would you believe anything without it and don't you care whether what you believe is true?

For the record, there is nothing else in life that we don't use evidence, reasoning, logic and proof for. Only religion, which for some reason seems to be exempt.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Fri 27 Sep 2013, 1:38 pm

beninho wrote:why does everything need to have evidence, sense or logic? If everyone thought that, how dull would people be? Probably as dull as scientists and there boring geeky stuff.
Enjoying the internet today? Yes, thought so.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Fri 27 Sep 2013, 1:44 pm

Anyway Blondes Brunettes or Red Heads.

What do you prefer?

I quite like a red head, they can have that extra sexiness.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 27 Sep 2013, 1:46 pm

I am not saying scientists do not do good work, but to me it is boring, i use the internet a lot, obviously. I have little to no interest on how it works. I do not care. Its not something i am interested in. Therefore to me its boring, and a lot that i see on TV are a bit geeky. Its not a wrong statement.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 27 Sep 2013, 1:46 pm

Davie

I seem to remember it was the more right wing posters that left for the new site.

Whoever it was that mentioned peter hitchens

I meant Chistopher Hitchens, he has said many sexist things like he would prefer woman to stay at home and care for children and he supported the war in Iraq.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 27 Sep 2013, 1:49 pm

Mac, I sincerely doubt you'll ever meet anyone where you agree with all their views.

In terms of what Hitchens said about female comedians, I think that was very true, and not in the least sexist.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 27 Sep 2013, 1:51 pm

Is he the guy that rights in the Daily Heil, and got battered by Russell Brand on tv?

What did he say about female comedians?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 27 Sep 2013, 1:53 pm

No, Russel Brand couldn't batter a fish. He might have crushed Peter Hitchens, but not Christopher.

He basically said female comedians weren't funny, because women don't need to be funny.
Still they are all funnier than Russel Brand though, who is a comedian for kids.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 27 Sep 2013, 1:55 pm

Christopher Hitchens (not peter) wrote a peice in vanity fair which argued that women could not be funny. He used some bull poop psudo science argument that men had an evolutionary driver to be funny whereas women do not.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 27 Sep 2013, 1:55 pm

I used to think Christopher Hitchens was a nauseating, self-obsessed, supercillious punk. Made me want to cringe whenever he was wheeled out on American TV spouting pseudo-intellectual nonsense.
Perhaps he was a brilliant writer but would never read him because of the feces he delivered on the air.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Fri 27 Sep 2013, 1:57 pm

McLaren wrote:Christopher Hitchens (not peter) wrote a peice in vanity fair which argued that women could not be funny.  He used some bull poop psudo science argument that men had an evolutionary driver to be funny whereas women do not.
Any I know just where I'd like to stick that "evolutionary driver"!Shocked

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Fri 27 Sep 2013, 4:13 pm

McLaren wrote:Christopher Hitchens (not peter) wrote a peice in vanity fair which argued that women could not be funny.  He used some bull poop psudo science argument that men had an evolutionary driver to be funny whereas women do not.
Just read that article. He doesn't suggest women can't be funny, and is at pains to point that out. What the article does suggest is that women generally aren't funny because they don't need to be. If you can honestly say that you disagree with that, I'd like to meet the women you know who are as puerile, childish and immature as us blokes.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 27 Sep 2013, 4:18 pm

He also explains it very well here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7izJggqCoA

I actually can't think of more than a few women who are genuinely funny, certainly in the comedian stakes there are barely any.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 27 Sep 2013, 5:07 pm

The girl out of the IT crowd is genuinely funny.

But I cant think of many else.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 27 Sep 2013, 5:16 pm

mystiroakey wrote:The girl out of the IT crowd is genuinely funny.

But I cant think of many else.
Never seen it Oakey.

On the other hand there is a plethora of dreadful male comedians too like Noel Fielding, Alan Carr, Russell Brand, Jack Whitehall and those two poofs off Little Britain so being male and a comedian doesn't make you funny.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 27 Sep 2013, 5:23 pm

Only one from little britain is gay..the other is married to a dutch model.

whats funny for one person is not to another, consider i think Jack Witehall is brilliant, find his stand up on BBC about going to school with Robert Patinson. It is superb.

I saw Shappi Khorsandi, at a comedy club a few years back, and she was very funny.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 27 Sep 2013, 5:33 pm

Has anybody been watching breaking bad? It seems to be everywhere at the moment, but i have never seen it, is it worth getting the box sets? Or do i stick with Mad Men?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 27 Sep 2013, 5:34 pm

The problem I have with these much hyped American series is that there are usually far too many episodes that I just lose interest in them

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 27 Sep 2013, 5:56 pm

Joe Brand
Sarah Silverman
Sue Perkins
Linda smith
Sara Pascoe
Katherine Ryan

And that is just from tv and radio shows watched in the last week.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 27 Sep 2013, 6:12 pm

Linda Smith is dead Mac.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 27 Sep 2013, 6:17 pm

It doesn't mean you disappear from all electronic recordings.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 27 Sep 2013, 6:24 pm

McLaren wrote:It doesn't mean you disappear from all electronic recordings.
Bringing up long dead comedians (she was good by the way) isn't a great example of how many women are funny though.
As for the others, I've only heard of Jo Brand, who is funnier than she used to be, and Sue Perkins who is actually quite funny too. I'll add Sandi Toksvig to your list though

There's lots of unfunny ones though like Andi Osho, Jennifer Saunders, Sarah Millican, Jenny Eclair, Meera Syal etc.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 27 Sep 2013, 6:46 pm

beninho wrote:Has anybody been watching breaking bad? It seems to be everywhere at the moment, but i have never seen it, is it worth getting the box sets? Or do i stick with Mad Men?
BB is the best drama out there with sherlock and GOT.

You dont have to stick with anything- You can allways watch more than one.

BY the way you are very lucky in the fact that it is going to finish this sunday. So you can binge watch the whole show and never have to wait- just stick the next ep on when you want to.

I am sad yes- but when i started watching last year- I watched 12 eps straight and went to work on no sleep!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky Fri 27 Sep 2013, 6:50 pm

SmithersJones wrote:
Just read that article. He doesn't suggest women can't be funny, and is at pains to point that out. What the article does suggest is that women generally aren't funny because they don't need to be. If you can honestly say that you disagree with that, I'd like to meet the women you know who are as puerile, childish and immature as us blokes.
I remember my maths tutor at college saying that the main difference between men and women is that men find The Three Stooges funny, whereas women do not.  At the time I had never seen the show, but years later when I witnessed my husband giggling uncontrollably over one of the most unfunny shows I'd ever seen, I saw what he meant.  Not sure that has anything to do with need though.  My grandmother always said "Boys will be boys and so will most middle-aged men".  Smile

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 27 Sep 2013, 7:29 pm

Hi Plunks,

Fortunately age has taught me that some girls who were girls are still girls in middle age! Thank goodness!!

Never watch American TV other than sport/news/me but Tina Fey is pretty hilarious, and her Amy (Poehler?) sidekick.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 27 Sep 2013, 8:16 pm

The great thing about not being in the US means that you can find out about the few great TV shows once they have proven to be good over trying out 100 bad ones for every good one. There is truly so much dross out there. But the few that are good. Are exceptionally good!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 27 Sep 2013, 8:26 pm

The best TV comedy the US has ever produced, IMO, is "The Simpsons". Just classic stuff.

Also, I was (am) a big "Three Stooges" fan and am convinced that more physical humor is why the best TV comedy show ever (IMO, of course) is "Fawlty Towers".

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky Fri 27 Sep 2013, 8:51 pm

Sorry, but I think Fawlty Towers beats the three stooges hands down -- Fawlty Towers was a whole lot more entertaining than three dopey guys poking their fingers in each others eyes ! But i know my husband would agree with you 100%. I still enjoy "only fools and horses" -- we have a selection of those plus some of the old stuff like yes minister/yes prime minister/the good life etc that we watch when there's nothing good on TV over here which is quite often !

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 27 Sep 2013, 8:55 pm

Plunky - I agree with you! (Must work on my syntax.)

I purchased the "Fawlty Towers" boxed set for the family a few years ago and my kids absolutely love it. Timeless stuff.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 27 Sep 2013, 8:56 pm

You lot need to seriously update your TV viewing.

So much good new stuff to watch dudes from both sides of the atlantic..

You lot are stuck in time!

Yes Fawlty towers was great, yes only fools was great, yes the good life was great, yes , yes yes.. BUT

curb
allways sunny
trailor park boys
peep show
sherlock
breaking bad
the sopranos
the IT crowd
Game of Thrones
Homeland
Luther
Summer heights high.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 27 Sep 2013, 9:00 pm

Mysti - Great list ... and I was only referring to timeless, top-of-the-mountain stuff.

Absolutely LOVE "Curb" (and "Breaking Bad") ... but also like "Boardwalk Empire", yet realize it may have too much of a provincial slant for many.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 27 Sep 2013, 9:01 pm

Boardwalk is next on my list to watch.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky Fri 27 Sep 2013, 9:17 pm

We don't have HBO so we've never seen some on that list. After they've been out on dvd for a few years maybe we'll get around to them ! We are stuck in time though when it comes to our TV viewing -- we still watch last of the summer wine, bertie wooster, and have the complete set of Inspector Morse. Having said that, we don't watch any of it very often, particularly if there's golf on !

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 27 Sep 2013, 9:36 pm

The last of a summer wine hey.

I can only imagine you miss yorkshire or just England in general.

I could possibly manage to watch 1 minute of that show without either reaching for the remote or running out the room!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 27 Sep 2013, 9:57 pm

Everytime I ever saw it there was only ever three old guys chasing some sort of runaway vehicle down a hill.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 27 Sep 2013, 10:08 pm

Obviously similar ages mysti as like a lot you have mentioned there. And could add more. Elementary was very good and californication. Homeland season one though...wow!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 29 Sep 2013, 7:23 am

The 5% scheme has been moved forward to next week.

This means the government will underwrite 15% of the mortgage(up to 600k)

SR and co- no excuses anymore!!- you may have needed a deposit of 30k before- now you only need 7.5k- i you were limited to an 80% mortgage

It also means anyone going for a 90% (that can get it like myself) can actually benefit from the much lower interest rate of the 80% mortgages!

I am seriously thinking of holding off the mortgage i have set up already and go for this scheme.

If you get in quick you won't be affected by the house price increase that may happen with this scheme

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 29 Sep 2013, 10:00 pm

Unfortunately Oakey, it requires you buy a new property as far as I know, and new properties especially the ones built by Barrats, Stewart Milne, Cala, etc in Aberdeen are soul-less, poorly built, over-priced, dreadfully equipped, trashy ghastly fittings, unimaginative, uninspiring pieces of crap.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 30 Sep 2013, 7:46 am

I thought it was available on buying any property but only Gordon ftb or people that do not own a property already?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Mon 30 Sep 2013, 8:12 am

probably works out cheaper to sign up to Netflix if you want to watch Breaking Bad rather than buying all 5 series. its around 5gbp a month and i think you still get the first month free.

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 30 Sep 2013, 8:56 am

super_realist wrote:Unfortunately Oakey, it requires you buy a new property as far as I know, and new properties especially the ones built by Barrats, Stewart Milne, Cala, etc in Aberdeen are soul-less, poorly built, over-priced, dreadfully equipped, trashy ghastly fittings, unimaginative, uninspiring pieces of crap.

no- not new at all,

any property you want

you just have to qualify for a 80% mortgage as it stands.

the government will then underwrite 15% of the deposit and you only have to front up 5%.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next