The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+30
golfermartin
Y I Man
barragan
puligny
SpacemanSpiff
dynamark
incontinentia
navyblueshorts
Roller_Coaster
Bob_the_Job
raycastleunited
hend085
Shotrock
Plunky
gaelgowfer
kwinigolfer
Davie
1GrumpyGolfer
SmithersJones
goldwolf
MontysMerkin
westisbest
pedro
super_realist
McLaren
beninho
BlueCoverman
mystiroakey
MustPuttBetter
JAS
34 posters

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by JAS Thu 26 Sep 2013 - 20:41

First topic message reminder :

super_realist wrote:Well done Jas, I've done it a few times and have applied too. Not heard back yet though.
I did it in 2008 Super and was disappointed not to break 4 hours (I ran Glasgow 3 times in the mid 80s with a PB of 2.52) Huge difference in running marathons from early to mid 20's and late 40's/early 50's though. I said in 2008 that I had one more left and it WOULD be sub 4 hours!! I've applied 3 times without success since but I'm in this time.

BlueCoverman wrote:Nice one JAS...trust all that training won't interfere with the golf schedule too much!
In reality and coupled with the Captaincy it probably will knock my game backwards a bit. C'est la vie :-/. Ideally the day I'd want to be doing my last long training run is the day of the Captains drive in.

kwinigolfer wrote:Didn't Kirkygolfer run in it - think some of us helped him raise money?
I'm sure somebody from the boards did Kwini, cant remember the name though.

Last edited by JAS on Thu 26 Sep 2013 - 20:49; edited 1 time in total

JAS

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by MontysMerkin Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 9:02

Breaking Bad has been absolutely epic. Can't wait for the last one...
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by mystiroakey Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 9:10

Just finished watching IT!!!

Its amazing!

Great wrap up..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 9:11

Is it on netflix already Mysti?
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 9:14

I actually have netflix- but i wasn't going to wait. Its on thepiratebay.

I had to watch before i go to the office..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 9:15

I know that it was on netflix at 3 am or something last week. Not sure this time, normally it comes on at 12:00 midday

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 10:02

its on netflix yeah. no spoilers! due to watch it after work!

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 10:29

Spoiler:

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 10:31

The thing i don't get with this Breaking Bad is it seems to be the thing of the moment. I'd not heard of it until a few months ago but now everyone is talking about it.
I thought it must be new but on checking it out find out it's already got through 5 seasons?
What's going on??
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 10:35

If you were american MPB you would have known earlier.

The reason we havent been so on the ball with this Series over shows like Homeland, Lost, TWD is because they all showed on TV .

This has only showed on Netflix.

Its more about the media its shown on tbh.

The show has been amazing since the Pilot.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 10:51

Deleted

Last edited by MustPuttBetter on Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 10:54; edited 1 time in total
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 10:54

mystiroakey wrote:If you were american MPB you would have known earlier.
Ha, thanks for that insight! Hug 

I didn't realise it is only shown on Netflix. It's not on US tv? Any reason why?

I still don't understand if it's been amazing since what, 2008, that's it's not being talked about over here until now, when it's ending i gather.

What's happened of late that's brought it to the fore?
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 10:55

Channel 5 showed the first series back in 2007 but no-one watched it so they dropped it. Think it's one of the best shows I've seen - but think that Bryan Cranston is a great actor - nothing beats Hal from MitM!
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 10:55

Anyone know how you delete a post?
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 11:05

MustPuttBetter wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:If you were american MPB you would have known earlier.
Ha, thanks for that insight! Hug 

I didn't realise it is only shown on Netflix. It's not on US tv? Any reason why?

I still don't understand if it's been amazing since what, 2008, that's it's not being talked about over here until now, when it's ending i gather.

What's happened of late that's brought it to the fore?
Nothing it was great from the start and allways won emmys. It has bundles of them..

I personally new about the show from the first season but didnt want to watch it due to the cancer vibe! I have had to many family members die from it, so it kind of put me off!

I eventually yeilded after my cousin kept on banging on about it(its typical of BB fans to almost force you into watching it!!)

I have mentioned this allready but After watching the Pilot(best pilot ever!!) I binged watched another 11 eps and didnt sleep that night!

Yes it is on US TV by the way and it isnt even HBO.. So the majority of the country get to watch it as its only on basic cable.(AMC network- 86% of the country has it)

Last edited by mystiroakey on Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 11:09; edited 1 time in total

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 11:05

EDIT MPB,

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 11:10

MontysMerkin wrote:Channel 5 showed the first series back in 2007 but no-one watched it so they dropped it. Think it's one of the best shows I've seen - but think that Bryan Cranston is a great actor - nothing beats Hal from MitM!
Really- wow. What a mistake by C5!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 11:23

mystiroakey wrote:EDIT MPB,
Then what?
I've tried that but can't find a delete option
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 11:25

Oddly my last post has an 'x' button to delete but the other one didn't. How strange. Maybe you can't delete once another post has been entered after
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 11:25

Sorry yeah you can only delete if its the last post on the thread

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Tue 1 Oct 2013 - 11:06

kwini .... nice to see Russell Knox regain his pga card (and Sean O'Hair).

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/golf/russell-knox-back-in-the-big-time-on-pga-tour-1-3119482

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 1 Oct 2013 - 11:14

Indeed, gael, We've been trying to follow it all on my WTF thread.
Great to see - he'll do rather well I think, perhaps needs to brush up on his short game, but drives and hits irons with the best of them.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Wed 2 Oct 2013 - 8:56

4 years ago in 2009 and at the height of the banking crisis most investors were ditching their bank shares as fast as they could. Warren Buffett purchased $5 billion worth of shares in Goldman Sachs.

Today he gets his first dividend. How much?...a cool $2 billion. Fair play to him for investing whilst everyone else was running for cover.

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 2 Oct 2013 - 9:03

5billion hey 

Erm 

another planet Blue.

but

its a 10% pa return.

We also need to know what are his shares are worth today to work out the real return..

Many investors could have made a lot more than that. 2 bill sounds a lot but!! we are talking a 5b investment over 4 years. The dudes with billions might as well be from another planet

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Wed 2 Oct 2013 - 10:12

Please point me in the direction of where you could have got a better return than that Mysti! (Excluding international drug trafficking and controlling the flow of eastern european girls westward for prostitution of course!)

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 2 Oct 2013 - 10:28

better than a 10% return.

IT

Mobile platforms(hardware/software), search engines, social networking

I could list many more as well.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 2 Oct 2013 - 10:39

google share price has gone from approx 300 to 900 in those 4 years

Goldman sachs had a low of 90 and a high of 180 in 2009 and its share price today is 159.

just on share prices alone google would have netted you a 50% pa return

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 2 Oct 2013 - 11:09

Also understanding how banks make money is the only answer you needed.

They only make money if other businesses make money?

whatever you earn from investing in a bank you could earn more in the businesses they invested in anyway!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Wed 2 Oct 2013 - 11:50

If it was that easy Mysti, we would all be billionaires!

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed 2 Oct 2013 - 12:48

Most stockbrokers at the moment are doing well if they can produce a 5% annual income return on your portfolio, exceptionally well if they can manage 6%.
A 10% yearly yield is an unbelievably good investment.

Obviously, not so much if they're worthless but somehow i don't think that is the case
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 2 Oct 2013 - 21:05

Good lord, What's wrong with Joe Hart these days?
Two years ago he looked the best goalie in the world - long time ago.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 2 Oct 2013 - 21:15

BlueCoverman wrote:If it was that easy Mysti, we would all be billionaires!
dont be so ridicluas. 

you asked a question. i answered it- there are literally 100's of business out there hat had a better return that banks.. nOT SURE WHY YOU HAD TO ASK.. 10% is good, very good, but as i tried to explain to you - someone with 5 bill to invest is on another planet to us and has more contacts and info that you have hot dinners

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 2 Oct 2013 - 21:17

MustPuttBetter wrote:Most stockbrokers at the moment are doing well if they can produce a 5% annual income return on your portfolio, exceptionally well if they can manage 6%.
A 10% yearly yield is an unbelievably good investment.

Obviously, not so much if they're worthless but somehow i don't think that is the case
you realise that that isn't what the bankers or banks are making ! That is the return for their clients!! 

and you have missed the point made.

The poster seems to think the only better return you would get is from drug trafficking or prostitution!!!

Banks make money from investing

They can't make money if other businesses fail.

Asking a question about what businesses would have made you a better return than a bank is stupid. There has to be them out there otherwise banks wouldn't make money.

It doesn't mean its easy, that isn't the case.But its a straight forward answer to a straightforward question

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 3 Oct 2013 - 7:28

Mysti

Share dealing is only one part of how an inestment bank, or more acurately a shadow bank makes money.

For starters there are derivatives which are based on literally everything, not just the profitability of companies.

Or lending money over different periods of time (days to years) to other banks.

I think you have not quite grasped the complexities of modern banking.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 3 Oct 2013 - 7:35

Mac you are retarded I take it?

Either contribute or don't. But you clearly have zero knowledge of banking or myself to make such a ludicrous step!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 3 Oct 2013 - 7:46

Ok i will give you a quick lesson on banking.

Investment banks are in a tight spot at the moment on derivatives- Derivatives are basically banks gambling against each other over various markets, trends, whatever.

Many of the US banks trade highly in derivatives. BUt trust me on this(and this is something you truly have to understand) they wouldn't pay out dividends based on only derivative income. Derivatives are spread into the future. A massive profit can turn into a massive loss.

If banks do not have the liquidity/capital set by there could go under.

The answer to the posters question(what industries are doing better than banks) is still a very simple one.. If banks do well , you will find certain industries doing well.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 3 Oct 2013 - 7:55

Mysti

You seem confused, all I was pointing out was that googles, or anyone else's, share price is only one aspect of how a bank might make money.

I would love to know where your knowledge of banking comes from?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 3 Oct 2013 - 7:55

And if Sachs have paid out a dividend without being prudent and are still highly geared and reform sets in or they lose on futures this 5b investment could be worth a darn sight less!!

So please tell me where that 10% has come from!!! he may have been paid out 2 bill, but his 5 bill could end up being worth 1bl!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 3 Oct 2013 - 7:57

McLaren wrote:Mysti

You seem confused, all I was pointing out was that googles, or anyone else's, share price is only one aspect of how a bank might make money.

I would love to know where your knowledge of banking comes from?
There is only one confused poster on here- That is you

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 3 Oct 2013 - 7:59

Is it just the fact you are tired at this hour?

The night shifts clearly take its toll on you!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 3 Oct 2013 - 8:04

mysti

Why so defensive?

Try debate and not just asserting that you are correct and cannot be questioned.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 3 Oct 2013 - 8:06

Because you allways question everything I state, you would question that the earth is round if I stated it!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 3 Oct 2013 - 8:11

The earth isn't round.

It is an oblate spheroid.

Further, I can't help it if you keep writing inaccuracies.

Last edited by McLaren on Thu 3 Oct 2013 - 8:19; edited 1 time in total
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 3 Oct 2013 - 8:17

where are the inaccuracies?

You don't even understand the term investing- you equate that to share dealing only!

You are behind on the most basic level.

And there is literally (sadly) nothing you could help me on!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 3 Oct 2013 - 8:19

mysti

It was your theory that said companies share prices were the main factor in bank profit.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 3 Oct 2013 - 8:20

when did i once state that!

I stated if banks are doing well you will find certain industries doing well!!

You have made a leap of huge proportions to get to that!

Last edited by mystiroakey on Thu 3 Oct 2013 - 8:45; edited 1 time in total

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 3 Oct 2013 - 8:23

basically you're making up a lot of nonsense here. You literally decided to just have a pop without even reading what was posted,. That is very typical of you Mac.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 3 Oct 2013 - 8:26

"Banks make money from investing

They can't make money if other businesses fail."

to which you replied

"Share dealing is only one part of how an inestment bank, or more acurately a shadow bank makes money"

^ good spelling by the way!! laughing 

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu 3 Oct 2013 - 9:24

I enjoy reading your posts, but there's really no need for the condescending attitude Mysti

The stance you've taken that Mac shouldn't question your view because you may have some higher knowledge of investing, whilst at the same time you are questioning whether Warren Buffet correctly invested his cash and professing to have been able to create a better return that his 10% per annum is amusing and ironic to say the least

Last edited by MustPuttBetter on Thu 3 Oct 2013 - 9:32; edited 1 time in total
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu 3 Oct 2013 - 9:31

Also, because i can't stand it when people on here resort to criticising spelling, i will contribute -

mystiroakey wrote:Because you allways question everything I state, you would question that the earth is round if I stated it!
mystiroakey wrote:If banks do not have the liquidity/capital set by there could go under.
mystiroakey wrote:]dont be so ridicluas.
Run
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 3 Oct 2013 - 9:39

BlueCoverman wrote:If it was that easy Mysti, we would all be billionaires!
People are making ridiculous money from ideas like twitter and facebook. Some of them are genuinely good, others are ropey but investors are prepared to speculate on the basis that if you invest in 10 apps and one comes good then the profit far outweighs the 9 failed investments.

It seems nearly everyone has a facebook page, but how much money does facebook make? Currently the market capitalisation of the business is US$122bn. Five years ago it was worth about $15bn, 8 years ago it was merely millions. In comparison, global pharmaceutical giant GlaxoSmithKline, which has invested billions in developing drugs and has huge secure revenue streams around the world is currently valued at... $122bn. The fact that GSK has 5 times more revenue than Facebook, or that GSK makes more profit than Facebook's total revenue is irrelevant.

You just need to know some geeky teenager who spends all his time on the internet programming instead of watching porn or playing world of warcraft. Very Happy

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next